Tim Cook says Apple's earnings power is 'probably under-appreciated' in CNBC 'Mad Money' i...

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2019
In an interview with CNBC airing on Tuesday evening, Apple CEO Tim Cook says that the company has great things coming, and "the ecosystem has never been stronger."

Apple's Cook is taking to television to address the contined potshots analysts and Wall Street is taking since the company revised its revenue projections on Jan. 2.

"In terms of the naysayer, I've heard this over and over again," Cook said in an interview with CNBC's Jim Cramer. "I've heard it in 2001, I've heard it in 2005, in '7, in '8, in '10, in '12 and '13. You can probably find the same quotes from the same people over and over again."

"I'm not defensive on it. This is America and you can say what you want," Cook said. "But ... my honest opinion is that there is a culture of innovation in Apple and that culture of innovation combined with these incredible, loyal customers, happy customers, this ecosystem, this virtuous ecosystem, is something that is probably under-appreciated."

EXCLUSIVE: Tim Cook to Apple naysayers: The ecosystem has never been stronger'

See full interview on @MadMoneyOnCNBC at 6p ET tonight. https://t.co/oWUs1GKh3h pic.twitter.com/knuQAy6bX7

— CNBC Now (@CNBCnow)

The company has said that it will report $84 billion in revenue for the holiday quarter -- second only in results to the 2017 holiday quarter. Wall Street responded with a continued beating of Apple stock, above and beyond what it already suffered when the company said it would no longer report sales figures of the iPhone.

"I'm never surprised by the market, to be honest with you, because I think the market is quite emotional in the short term," Cook said when asked about the reaction to the earnings revision. "We sort of look through all of that. We think about the long term. And so when I look at the long-term health of the company, it has never been better. The product pipeline has never been better. The ecosystem has never been stronger. The services are on a tear."

The interview with Jim Kramer will air in full on "Mad Money" on CNBC at 6 p.m. Eastern Time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I tend to agree with him. Mountains, molehills,... 
    muthuk_vanalingamrob53applesnorangesboxcatcherradarthekatbadmonkjony0
  • Reply 2 of 67
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    No lies detected. Every word that Cook said is obvious even to a moron, but unfortunately there are even bigger trolls and morons out there. 
    Apple stock price is not, and never has been, an indictment, indicator, or any kind of measure of the company's health or "innovation". 
    ericthehalfbeeradarthekatwatto_cobrabadmonkjony0
  • Reply 3 of 67
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    Damage control and totally expected and logical. 

As usual he will be 'thrilled' to announce Apple's second largest revenue results with so many headwinds in place and that is also logical and expected.

Company wide things are not bad but iPhone needs to be looked at - closely.

muthuk_vanalingamanantksundaram
  • Reply 4 of 67
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    slurpy said:
    No lies detected. Every word that Cook said is obvious even to a moron, but unfortunately there are even bigger trolls and morons out there. 
    Apple stock price is not, and never has been, an indictment, indicator, or any kind of measure of the company's health or "innovation". 
    True, but it’s one of the largest shorted stocks which says everything about the criminals on Wall Street and the analysts who feed them. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 67
    avon b7 said:

As usual he will be 'thrilled' to announce Apple's second largest revenue results with so many headwinds in place and that is also logical and expected.

iPhone needs to be looked at?

Bullshit.
    LukeCageGeorgeBMacmacpluspluswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 67
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Cook needs to stop talking or if he does talk stop being so defensive. Oh and if the ecosystem is under appreciated by the market whose fault is that? Cook’s.
    muthuk_vanalingamanantksundaram
  • Reply 7 of 67
    Cook needs to stop talking or if he does talk stop being so defensive. Oh and if the ecosystem is under appreciated by the market whose fault is that? Cook’s.

More bullshit. How is it Cook’s fault if a bunch of idiotic analysts don’t comprehend the value of the iOS ecosystem? Or don’t understand Apple? Which they clearly don’t given their abysmal track record of always being wrong.
    LukeCagerainmakeratl90GeorgeBMacradarthekatmacpluspluswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 67
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    avon b7 said:

Bullshit.
    I’ll see that and raise you one. It’s horseshit.
    LukeCageGeorgeBMacemoellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 67
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    He doesn’t sound at all defensive to me, but just flatly reasonable in his response to the insanity of the finance/tech media.  

GeorgeBMacradarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 67
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    avon b7 said:

Bullshit.
    Second quarter 2018. Apple got shunted out of second place in world shipments - for the first time since 2010.

Almost four years of flat sales and now very likely to announce a historic dip in unit sales coinciding with a revenue warning - on its blowout quarter.

2018 iterative upgrade to iPhone.

40% wiped off company value in just a few months.

Company health in general may be good. The iPhone needs to be looked at though. The Chinese iPhone market alone is of such vital strategic importance to Apple that the company formally admitted that any successful ban on iPhone sales in the Chinese market (as a result of QC's legal efforts) would mean Apple having no option to give up the fight against QC.

rogifan_newmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 67
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Anyone noticed how relatively empty that Apple store is? 
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 12 of 67
    avon b7 said:

Bullshit.
    Nah, he's right; I look at my iPhone incessantly, sometimes with the screen off as I'm admiring it.
    GeorgeBMacericthehalfbeeradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 67
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

More bullshit. How is it Cook’s fault if a bunch of idiotic analysts don’t comprehend the value of the iOS ecosystem? Or don’t understand Apple? Which they clearly don’t given their abysmal track record of always being wrong.
    Then obviously Cook and the management team are doing something wrong If year after year the market and investment community continue to not get the company. If the ecosystem is undervalued then Cook & Team need to do a better job selling it and need to provide the metrics that will tell the story they want told. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 67
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    Just drop “probably” and TC would’ve been spot on. Apple’s product is the ecosystem.  And it’s ravaging the competition’s attempt to profit in related sectors. 

”Probably” shows as a sign of weakness in his comment. As in he’s not sure what the naysayers believe. But given the focus from the naysayers on a particular metric that will no longer be reported... they are blind to the true Apple product. So the “probably” needs to GTFO of the conversation. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 67
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Apple earning power may be under appreciated but ceasing the quarterly reporting of unit sales for iPhones, iPads and Macs can't be helping create a better understanding of the Apple ecosystem. They have never reported Apple Watch sales, but it looks to me that they must be doing pretty well. At first I would rarely see one in the wild but now it seems that every cashier and bus boy is wearing one, not to mention many celebrities and professionals.

Apple is Doomed™ /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 67
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    avon b7 said:

Bullshit.
    They will.   They looked at it every year since 2007 and made it a little better each time -- and they'll look at it again.  The problem lies not with the iPhone but with unreasonable expectations (irrational exuberance) that were based on a history of unfailing annual increases in both price and quantity.  The unreasonable part comes in when people expected that to go on forever.   Those expectations were from people who have no idea what a product cycle is -- and what happens when it hits maturity.

CNBC had a piece today that pointed out that last fall, despite warnings, not a single analyst put out a "sell" notice for Apple.  That's irrational exuberance applied to a single stock.

No product grows forever.
    No stock goes up forever.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 67

No, it's the fault of analysts who have been dazzled by the bright, shiny object called "iPhone" and were unable to see anything else.

Meanwhile, the ecosystem that powers both it and the Mac line continued to quietly grow and grow stronger each year.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 67
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member

No, it's the fault of analysts who have been dazzled by the bright, shiny object called "iPhone" and were unable to see anything else.

Meanwhile, the ecosystem that powers both it and the Mac line continued to quietly grow and grow stronger each year.
    It's interesting  you would say this about the Apple ecosystem. In my opinion, the ecosystem in complete shambles, as Tim Cook's Apple has taken a baseball bat to the ecosystem that SJ built. 
  • Reply 19 of 67
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    My iPhone 7+ is better than a new one. At least it has a home button and didn't cost over a grand
  • Reply 20 of 67

Then obviously Cook and the management team are doing something wrong If year after year the market and investment community continue to not get the company. If the ecosystem is undervalued then Cook & Team need to do a better job selling it and need to provide the metrics that will tell the story they want told. 
    No, it's not Tim's job to tell them how to value the company.
    watto_cobra