Apple CEO Tim Cook says new services coming this year, talks iPhone XR 'flop,' more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Consumer credit.

Also, a USB wifi dongle that makes any carplay head unit a wireless CarPlay unit.
    edited January 2019 jameshawkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 81
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    NY1822 said:
    what new services do you guys think Apple should get into?
    Vaping tobacco.   It’s evidetly very addictive.  Add an activity ring on the watch.
    h2p
  • Reply 23 of 81
    Make iCloud email a real platform like Gmail.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 24 of 81
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Messages and FaceTime on Android for $20.00/month.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 25 of 81
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    robbyx said:
    robbyx said:
    NY1822 said:
    That's a good question.  Other than video, what has mass appeal?  I'd be curious to hear what services people currently use.  It's hard for me to imagine what services Apple might launch outside of video and perhaps some kind of all-you-can-eat magazine subscription service (based on their acquisition of Texture).
    That’s an easy one. The service that is ripe for takeover is something to rival Facebook that doesn’t steel, sell or absconded with your private data and still allow you to be in contact with your friends and family.
    I disagree.  Several companies have tried to create such a service and failed.  It's a nice idea, but people simply aren't willing to pay for it.
    Well, they wouldn’t pay for it on its own, but as part of something else … ?
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 26 of 81
    Extend the iCloud backup so it works with Macs, not just iPhones/iPads. 
    edited January 2019 mpw_amherstAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 81
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    mattinoz said:
    NY1822 said:
    iCloud for Teams
    Allow teams in teams or indeed a customer to be in multiple seperate teams.
    So I could have my family shared space, personal space on home computer, while work device has my department and company space.
    iPad, iPhone would have all but would mute Family space notifications while at work and vis versa.

Team owners can buy storage, apps and services for their team and manage in one location.

Single sign-on one iCloud account

I would love an iCloud alternative to G Suite. I fucking hate Google's software.
    yes. We use office 365 at work, and it's a bloody mess. Classic Microsoft (mis)design on the interface. A good business suite would be awesome.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 81
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    entropys said:
    Consumer credit.

Also, a USB wifi dongle that makes any carplay head unit a wireless CarPlay unit.
    That would be neat, except I plug in my phone to charge it whenever I'm in my car anyways. If I don't, running apple maps totally chews through battery.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 29 of 81
    robbyx said:

New services?

Video streaming seems obvious. I'd like a Netflix style service, except with better content (Netflix always seems to have old movies/shows I don't care about). I'd pay more (like $29 or $39 a month) if I got access to the latest movies/shows.

Banking is another possibility. So is Apple as a carrier. Get your phone and cellular service from a single provider. They could even offer their service with extras (no tracking by your carrier or better data plans).
    The problem with them getting into he carrier business is that they would be biting the hand that feeds them in many respects.  They need the carriers to promote and push their devices.  I can't see how alienating their carrier partners would ultimately benefit them.
    That’s a very good point, but since the carriers are ending subsidies then I’m not sure how much Apple needs them anymore. 

If Apple became its own carrier, offering a flat rate service that came with an insured phone (made from recycled parts) then I think that would be an attractive proposition. 

• Reply 30 of 81
    mattinoz said:
    robbyx said:
    NY1822 said:
    That's a good question.  Other than video, what has mass appeal?  I'd be curious to hear what services people currently use.  It's hard for me to imagine what services Apple might launch outside of video and perhaps some kind of all-you-can-eat magazine subscription service (based on their acquisition of Texture).
    That’s an easy one. The service that is ripe for takeover is something to rival Facebook that doesn’t steel, sell or absconded with your private data and still allow you to be in contact with your friends and family.
    To me the Facebook/Twitter/... replacement wants to be an open source open platfrom almost as an extension you add to your email server.  
    That doesn’t sound like something that will attract many consumers. 
  • Reply 31 of 81
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Rayz2016 said:
    robbyx said:
    robbyx said:
    NY1822 said:
    I disagree.  Several companies have tried to create such a service and failed.  It's a nice idea, but people simply aren't willing to pay for it.
    I personally don't believe so.  If Facebook believed that enough users wanted a paid, secure service with no data sharing, don't you think they'd already be doing it?  I think that would be a hugely foolish avenue for Apple to pursue.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    Rayz2016 said:
    robbyx said:

New services?

Video streaming seems obvious. I'd like a Netflix style service, except with better content (Netflix always seems to have old movies/shows I don't care about). I'd pay more (like $29 or $39 a month) if I got access to the latest movies/shows.

Banking is another possibility. So is Apple as a carrier. Get your phone and cellular service from a single provider. They could even offer their service with extras (no tracking by your carrier or better data plans).
    The problem with them getting into he carrier business is that they would be biting the hand that feeds them in many respects.  They need the carriers to promote and push their devices.  I can't see how alienating their carrier partners would ultimately benefit them.
    That’s a very good point, but since the carriers are ending subsidies then I’m not sure how much Apple needs them anymore. 

If Apple became its own carrier, offering a flat rate service that came with an insured phone (made from recycled parts) then I think that would be an attractive proposition. 

Subsidies or not, Apple needs carrier support.  If they decided to do their own network, I can see all of the major carriers reducing the iPhone sections of their stores to a neglected corner, sort of like the Mac in the pre-Apple Store days.  What incentive would any of the carriers have to push the iPhone?  Not everyone is going to choose Apple as their carrier and not everyone buys direct from Apple, so carrier support is critical to success.  It's about mindshare as well, so having iPhones featured prominently and promoted at carrier stores, on their websites, etc. is very important.  And what about international?  Apple becoming a carrier seems like a good idea on the surface, but I think it would quickly turn into a quagmire for them.
    edited January 2019 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 81

Rayz2016 said:
    Extend the iCloud backup so it works with Macs, not just iPhones/iPads. 
    I'm somewhat surprised they haven't done this.  I also think it might be a little less compelling in the age of iCloud Drive and the majority of Mac apps supporting versioning.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 81
    tbornottbornot Posts: 116member
    Looks like iPhone production just stalled out another 10%.  Seems that the report wasn’t “baloney” after all...
  • Reply 35 of 81
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Rayz2016 said:
    mattinoz said:
    robbyx said:
    NY1822 said:
    To me the Facebook/Twitter/... replacement wants to be an open source open platfrom almost as an extension you add to your email server.  
    That doesn’t sound like something that will attract many consumers. 
    Technically Facebook doesn’t attract any customers either so that shouldn’t be an impediment.
    So it would be about other services offering support for the system to help tie people in like email use to. 

• Reply 36 of 81
    robbyx said:
    NY1822 said:
    This is a really good call. I’ve left both Facebook and Twitter now and know that I miss out hearing on certain things as a result but am not prepared to be a product like that. I understand Tim Berners-Lees is working on something like this - or the early start of an internet that gives you control of your data. But would be great to see Apple run with it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 81
    robbyx said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    robbyx said:
    robbyx said:
    NY1822 said:
    I personally don't believe so.  If Facebook believed that enough users wanted a paid, secure service with no data sharing, don't you think they'd already be doing it?  I think that would be a hugely foolish avenue for Apple to pursue.
    But Facebook don’t need to do that they run ad’s. ;)

The very fact that Facebook could go up to the hill and make a mockery of your country’s government in the way it did during those hearings speaks volumes to how much respect it really has for its customers. Now, while we are on that topic, who are they exactly? Do you think for a second that it is you and me that has a a Facebook account or do you think that it is those faceless organization and social influencers that has purchased the ads? I would bet that Facebook really looks at us as a commodity to be exploited in as many was as they can get away with.

I for one would be very happy for Apple to step in and clean up this very dirty aspect of social media and the internet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 81
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    MplsP said:
    mattinoz said:
    NY1822 said:
    iCloud for Teams
    So I could have my family shared space, personal space on home computer, while work device has my department and company space.
    iPad, iPhone would have all but would mute Family space notifications while at work and vis versa.

Team owners can buy storage, apps and services for their team and manage in one location.

I would love an iCloud alternative to G Suite. I fucking hate Google's software.
    yes. We use office 365 at work, and it's a bloody mess. Classic Microsoft (mis)design on the interface. A good business suite would be awesome.
    As today, the "bloody mess" from MS Office 365 and Google GSuite are miles ahead of what Apple offer, including the interface.  I don't see how Apple could do better, considering they had show zero interest in improving iWorks / iCloud to the level of MS Office / Office 365 and GSuite.
    muthuk_vanalingamrobbyx
  • Reply 39 of 81
    NY1822 said:
    • a team/collaboration solution ala Slack/discord based on iCloud/messages. Don't see this happening though.
    • finally kill evernote by extending notes a bit more
    • a start at a great health/fitness/habits dashboard service. Would probably use this.
    • a video platform to replace youtube, no ads, no nazis, no hate/fake shit
    • maybe extend that with a browser version of imovie/final cut
    • expanding payments, maybe an apple bank account?
    • becoming a carrier? probably too early.
    • extending icloud drive so it will be like dropbox
    • instagram, but for your icloud photos. No ads, no stupid influencers. Hopefully. But I'd rather not see apple go into socials again.
    • opening siri up way way more like alexa. Shortcuts is okay, but...
    • make siri on homepod a workable thing
    • a VPN is a good suggestion
    But we'll probably see more streaming audio/video stuff.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 40 of 81
    MplsP said:
    mattinoz said:
    NY1822 said:
    iCloud for Teams

Maybe it's just because I've been using Office for so long, but I don't find it to be a "bloody mess" at all.  Sure, there are things that I don't like, but that's true of every piece of software I've ever used, including iOS.  
    muthuk_vanalingam