HomeKit coming to new smartlocks by August & Yale [U]

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2019
Assa Abloy's August and Yale divisions this week announced two new smartlocks with Apple HomeKit support, the EMPowered Smart Lock and the Yale Assure Lever Lock.

The touchscreen version of the EMPowered Smart Lock.
The touchscreen version of the EMPowered Smart Lock.

Updated 6/27/19: The Yale Assure Lever Lock with HomeKit is now available to order on Amazon starting at $279.

The EMPowered Smart Lock sports an Emtek design, but August's app and cloud services. Two versions will be available: a $370 keyed entryset model, and a $440 edition with a touchscreen keypad, making it possible to open without a key or smartphone.

The Assure Lever Lock is meant exclusively for single-hole doors, and unlike other Assure options doesn't replace a deadbolt. It can be used with or without smarthome functions since all models come with physical or touchscreen keypads. Prices range between $149 and $299 depending not just on the keypad type, but whether users want a smarthome module.

The Lever Lock with a touchscreen.
The Lever Lock with a touchscreen.

AppleInsider will be attending the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show starting on January 8 through January 11 where we're expecting 5G devices, HomeKit, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Still waiting for someone to come out with a smart lock that is not ugly.
    cornchiparthurba
  • Reply 2 of 9
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I'm pretty invested in smart-home gear and gadgets. Smart-router, smart-wifi pucks (several), smart-smoke detectors (several), smart-doorbell, smart-cameras (several), smart-lighting (a lot), smart-speakers (again several), smart-outlets (yup a few of those)...

A smart-door lock on my smart home is where I've drawn a line for now. Just not confident in that one quite yet. My cleaner has a key. My immediate family has keys. No one else has a need to be in my home if I'm not there, and the extensive hard-wired and independently powered security system I have lets me know if a door or window isn't secured.

TBH I'm surprised when folks I know say they plan to get a smart door lock unless they're showing the house for sale or rent. That one I can understand.  
    dewme
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    gatorguy said:
    I'm pretty invested in smart-home gear and gadgets. Smart-router, smart-wifi pucks (several), smart-smoke detectors (several), smart-doorbell, smart-cameras (several), smart-lighting (a lot), smart-speakers (again several), smart-outlets (yup a few of those)...

A smart-door lock on my smart home is where I've drawn a line for now. Just not confident in that one quite yet. My cleaner has a key. My immediate family has keys. No one else has a need to be in my home if I'm not there, and the extensive hard-wired and independently powered security system I have lets me know if a door or window isn't secured.

TBH I'm surprised when folks I know say they plan to get a smart door lock unless they're showing the house for sale or rent. That one I can understand.  
    The August Smart Lock Pro + Connect I have has been solid. It's not necessary, strictly speaking, but it's convenient for automatically locking and unlocking whenever I leave or return, especially if I'm carrying something heavy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    gatorguy said:

The August Smart Lock Pro + Connect I have has been solid. It's not necessary, strictly speaking, but it's convenient for automatically locking and unlocking whenever I leave or return, especially if I'm carrying something heavy.
    I have no doubt they're generally reliable automatic lock openers and closers. Generally.

My wife's car automatically detects when she leaves the vehicle proximity and locks itself, but every once in awhile albeit very rarely, it doesn't. She's so comfortable with it  working as designed she doesn't bother to verify. I on the other hand will often check her drivers door at night when I take the dog out. Generally always locked. Generally... and "generally" isn't good enough for me to be comfortable in set-and-forget on something so important barring some special need that outweighs it.

I may invest in one someday but not ready yet.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 5 of 9

Kwikset Premis Touchscreen Smart Lock, Works with Apple HomeKit via Apple HomePod or Apple TV

Works like a champ. Have had it for just about a year now. "Hey Siri, unlock my front door." on my Apple Watch. Via HomeKit can also see the status of locked or unlocked as well as on the lock specific Kwikset app. Can configure keypad codes and other things on the Kwikset app too such as viewing lock activity and setting up users who have access only during certain times etc. It adds an additional layer of security since if you use keypad codes for each person it tells you who unlocked it as well when etc in the lock activity list. Very happy with it. 5 stars.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    gatorguy said:

I absolutely love it! Sure I have a key on my car keys, but it's so nice especially when it's cold, to pull into the driveway, check my phone, see if the door is locked and if so, unlock it. Plus with the schlage one we have you can set it to auto lock after 4 minutes. It's also great if you don't have your keys on you because somebody else was driving. I bet it'd be really useful for people with kids, getting them to memorize a code is easier then making sure they don't lose keys.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    gatorguy said:

Your cleaner has a key is a problem. When your cleaner and you have a disagreement and you fire your cleaner, your locks are compromised. In fact, your locks are already compromised because your cleaner may have made copies of your keys and given them to others. 

Other than that, smart locks are great to check whether or not your doors are locked when you are not at home. You also get notified when the locks are locked and unlocked. 

Smart locks are obviously not necessary, but neither are your other smart-home appliances like smart smoke detectors, smart doorbells, smart lighting, smart speakers, or smart outlets. 

If you ever want a recommendation, Schlage Sense seems to be a very good product IMHO. I have two of them, and they haven't yet failed to notify me of being locked/unlocked or failed to lock/unlock via HomeKit or the Schlage app one time. They appear a very solid product and reasonably priced. They use BT LE to communicate with the Apple TV being used as a HomeKit hub. 
    edited January 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    sirozha said:
    gatorguy said:

Your cleaner has a key is a problem. When your cleaner and you have a disagreement and you fire your cleaner, your locks are compromised. In fact, your locks are already compromised because your cleaner may have made copies of your keys and given them to others. 

Other than that, smart locks are great to check whether or not your doors are locked when you are not at home. You also get notified when the locks are locked and unlocked. 

Smart lockers are obviously not necessary, but neither your other smart-home appliances like smart smoke detectors, smart doorbells, smart lighting, smart speakers, or smart  outlets. 

If you ever want a recommendation, Schlage Sense seems to be a very good product IMHO. I have two of them, and they haven't yet failed to notify me of being locked/unlocked or failed to lock/unlock via HomeKit or the Schlage app. They appear a very solid product and reasonably priced. 
    I trust my cleaner more than a smart door lock. AAMOF I trust my cleaner more than one particular child of mine. 

And you are 100% correct that few of my smart-home devices are necessary (with the possible exception of the smoke/gas detectors), but my smart outlets if they fail to work as designed won't enable someone robbing my home of the things attached to that outlet. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my exterior doorlocks have "smartkeys" so that I rekey them myself in just a minute or two "as she's walkin' out the door" (music playing)
    That 'ol key just won't hunt no'mo. 
    edited January 2019