AT&T plans to roll out nationwide mobile 5G by early 2020, CEO responds to '5G E' blowback...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    wanderso said:
    If they are refarming some existing LTE spectrum, does this mean that my new iPhone XS using 4G LTE will be dumbed down to 4G (slower) or 3G (10 times slower) 4 years from now if I’m still using it or have passed it down to one of my kids?   This might be a boon for Apple and others who didn’t yet offer the 5G chipset - forcing an upgrade cycle in a few years, but a bust for consumers. 

Differences between 4G and 4G LTE listed here: https://www.tccrocks.com/blog/what-is-difference-between-4g-and-4g-lte/

Yep!  That's EXACTLY what it means:   LTE spectrum is being raided to provide bandwidth for 5G.

But, the problem will not only affect with those with an X or Xs -- it will really impact those who, in September pay Apple over grand for a brand new XI that is locked into an shrinking, obsolete 4G network.

I hope this rumor that Apple will choose to ignore 5G in September is very, very false. 
    Today there is great crying and knashing of teeth because iPhone sales slipped a bit this year.   Can you even begin to imagine what would happen if Apple tries to foist an obsolete thousand dollar plus phone on the public?   Samsung is drooling at the prospect.

• Reply 22 of 33
    wood1208 said:
    5G haven't started yet and NCTA talking about 10G roll out. But, first give me consistent LTE speed and coverage and than talk to me about 5G. Don't show me 5G fancy advertisement but show me consistent 5G coverage in area where I live and work and than I will consider paying for 5G device. I don't see that happening until 2021.

That logic only works if you buy a new phone every year.   Otherwise, you are stuck with an old 4G phone long after 5G has been rolled out (and the 4G network it relies on has been savaged to help build it).
  • Reply 23 of 33
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    What shipping Android phones support 5G or can with a firmware upgrade?
    Which current Android phones will still be usable in four years and getting updates?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,046member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I don’t understand this. 

The US and Canada have service providers coming out of their ears, and yet you all seem to be paying through the nose for tiny allowances. 

That is what happens when your government is bought and paid for by corporate interests. It is also why it is important to get corporate money and all soft money out of our political process.

Regardless of your politics, the Sanders 2016 campaign showed that a candidate can mount a credible national campaign with nothing but small donations from individual donors. That could be done by a Republican or a Democrat.

What you usually get in the American system these days are regulators that come from the trade associations or a business in the industry they are supposed to regulate. Those people know that if they come down hard on the private interests they will be unemployable when their appointment in government is over. The result is what is called captive regulation- otherwise the telecom industry essentially controls the parts of government charged with oversight and regulation.

It is not a Left-Right issue. It is a bad system that promotes corruption- period.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 33
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,398member
    sdw2001 said:
    When will Americans wake up to the fact we pay the most (of most industrialized countries) for one of the slowest cell connectivity and have the slowest speeds for mobile/cable/internet. Ugh!

All b/c of a bought and paid for congress (basically concierges for big business) and shareholder rights override everyone else's rights! Ugh!

The good news is in 1989 there were 29 women in Congress. 13 Republicans and 16 Dems. In 2019 there're 120 women in Congress. And this is the shocker...still 13 female Republicans and 107 Dems.

Should tell you something. No? :)

How do I put this....everything you wrote regarding partisan politics is complete nonsense.  Every word.  

Now, with respect to paying more for less:  You do have a point there.  But it's precisely because of a lack of government intervention and regulation, except in the space that matters most:  Anti-trust.  
    Fixed that for ya!
    Please cite one example where government intervention improved or lowered the cost of anything.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    When will Americans wake up to the fact we pay the most (of most industrialized countries) for one of the slowest cell connectivity and have the slowest speeds for mobile/cable/internet. Ugh!

All b/c of a bought and paid for congress (basically concierges for big business) and shareholder rights override everyone else's rights! Ugh!

The good news is in 1989 there were 29 women in Congress. 13 Republicans and 16 Dems. In 2019 there're 120 women in Congress. And this is the shocker...still 13 female Republicans and 107 Dems.

What leads you to think women are any less susceptible to corruption than men? Nancy Pelosi are Hillary Clinton are just two examples of deeply corrupt female Democrats. Corruption isn’t a male vs. female thing.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    mike1 said:
    sdw2001 said:

How do I put this....everything you wrote regarding partisan politics is complete nonsense.  Every word.  

Now, with respect to paying more for less:  You do have a point there.  But it's precisely because of a lack of government intervention and regulation, except in the space that matters most:  Anti-trust.  
    Fixed that for ya!
    Please cite one example where government intervention improved or lowered the cost of anything.
    1)  Most relevant:  The TVA -- or, more recently cable when it was regulated.  Or, your electric company.
    2)  The banking industry -- until Bush gutted the regulations and the regulators it and it crashed the economy and they had to put the regulations back into place to safeguard the nation from the banksters.
  • Reply 28 of 33

What leads you to think women are any less susceptible to corruption than men? Nancy Pelosi are Hillary Clinton are just two examples of deeply corrupt female Democrats. Corruption isn’t a male vs. female thing.
    The second statement is true.   It is not a male or female thing.
    The first is ridiculous political propaganda from FauxNews.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 29 of 33
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I don’t understand this. 

The US and Canada have service providers coming out of their ears, and yet you all seem to be paying through the nose for tiny allowances. 

Originally, cable was regulated like utilities -- so you only had one company stringing cable.  Now you have several -- which doubles and triples the cost without adding any speed or service.

Cellular is working the same way today.
    We have 3/4 different carriers all rolling out 5G -- which means the total cost is 3-4 times higher than it should be.  But, since they are simply competing against each other in a highly colluded market, there is little chance for significant service improvements.

It's a broken model sold on a blind faith that unregulated capitalism is always the only workable solution.

Several companies competing would lower cost in a truly free market.  The lack of regulation (again, other than antitrust) does not cause high prices.  
  • Reply 30 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    mike1 said:
    sdw2001 said:

Fixed that for ya!
    REA

And please cite an example where companies, left completely unregulated, looked out strictly for consumers’ best interests. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    sdw2001 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    I don’t understand this. 

Originally, cable was regulated like utilities -- so you only had one company stringing cable.  Now you have several -- which doubles and triples the cost without adding any speed or service.

Cellular is working the same way today.
    We have 3/4 different carriers all rolling out 5G -- which means the total cost is 3-4 times higher than it should be.  But, since they are simply competing against each other in a highly colluded market, there is little chance for significant service improvements.

It's a broken model sold on a blind faith that unregulated capitalism is always the only workable solution.

Several companies competing would lower cost in a truly free market.  The lack of regulation (again, other than antitrust) does not cause high prices.  
    Yeh, that's the Free Marketers mantra.  Unfortunately, it is disproven time after time after time after time....  Often, but not always, because there is seldom such as thing as a "truly free market".  Or, as pointed out here:   does it cost less to put up 3 or 4 redundant 5G networks than 1? 
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Marketing Moron Mindset: As long as the customer thinks it's real, it's real.
    IOW: Fraudulent marketing equates to gains in marketshare and customer loyalty, as long as the suckers don't figure out you're lying.

SO AT&T! When are you going to offer me REAL 4G? Ever?
    IOW: Where's my LTE Advanced? My phone does LTE Advanced, but you don't!
    IOW: Why are you foisting fast 3G at me and calling it "4G"?
    IOW: No way do I believe in ANY AT&T '5G-whatever' statements.
    IOW: Expect LIES
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Marketing Moron Mindset: As long as the customer thinks it's real, it's real.
    IOW: Fraudulent marketing equates to gains in marketshare and customer loyalty, as long as the suckers don't figure out you're lying.

SO AT&T! When are you going to offer me REAL 4G? Ever?
    IOW: Where's my LTE Advanced? My phone does LTE Advanced, but you don't!
    IOW: Why are you foisting fast 3G at me and calling it "4G"?
    IOW: No way do I believe in ANY AT&T '5G-whatever' statements.
    IOW: Expect LIES
    Pateince Grasshopper!
    You'll get your 4G LTE when AT&T rolls out their 5G-E.