Samsung Galaxy Unpacked on February 20 could reveal foldable smartphone alongside new Gala...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2019
Samsung has confirmed it will be showing off its newest flagship smartphone model in a Galaxy Unpacked event on February 20, one that could potentially feature a commercialized version of a foldable smartphone concept it revealed in November.

Samsung's teaser image for its Galaxy Unpacked event
Samsung's teaser image for its Galaxy Unpacked event

Confirmed on Twitter, Samsung advises the Galaxy Unpacked event will take place on February 20. The tweet includes an animation featuring the number 10, strongly suggesting the next model it will be showing off will be the Galaxy S10, continuing the company's numbering trend.

The animation also notably includes a black line across the middle, which may be a hint to it having dual screens or some element of folding. This could be a hint that the company could offer a closer look at its ongoing project to create a foldable smartphone.

Welcome to the next generation. Galaxy Unpacked on February 20, 2019. #SamsungEvent pic.twitter.com/M1Gh0F9Fs5

-- Samsung Mobile (@SamsungMobile)

Samsung has so far demonstrated a proof-of-concept device with foldable display, showing off during its developer conference in November the Inifinity Flex Display prototype. Notably the demonstration was brief, took place on stage, and lengths were taken to hide the general appearance of the hardware while it is still in development.

According to sources of the Wall Street Journal, Samsung will use the occasion to show off a fully-functional foldable-screen device. While it will be shown, it is unclear if it will be revealed in any greater detail than at the developer conference, and if event attendees will be able to get a closer look, as typical at Samsung's product launches.

Sources advise Samsung is showing off the device in question to business partners behind closed doors at CES this week.

Samsung's Infinity Flex Display prototype
Samsung's Infinity Flex Display prototype

Though specifications about the foldable smartphone remain largely unknown, aside from the display's main feature, it seems the name of the device could already be known. Sources say the name is still being decided upon, with three possibilities being the "Fold," "Galaxy Fold," and the "Galaxy F," with all three following similar trains of thought.

An April release for the foldable smartphone has also been touted, though again no final decision has been made about its availability. Previous reports suggested the foldable device could be introduced in March, alongside Samsung's annual flagship device refresh.

Also at the event, Samsung is expected to offer a major upgrade in the Galaxy S10, to mark its tenth anniversary. Bigger screens and more cameras are tipped for inclusion, with three variants expected to ship in March while a fourth 5G-equipped model will arrive later in the spring.

Samsung's upcoming launches are important to the company, which recently revealed it had missed profit expectations for the holiday quarter by a considerable margin, and was down on results from the previous two quarters. Sales revenue is down almost 11 percent year-on-year, while the plateauing of the smartphone market is causing its own problems.

Samsung found itself warning of the terrible earnings shortly after a similar announcement made by Apple advised it was expecting revenue of $84 billion, instead of the $89 billion to $93 billion it suggested in its guidance for the quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Still going to predict these will fail for numerous reasons I’ve stated before.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Let me guess...it’s going to be clunky but Samsung will get props for being first and Apple will be doomed somehow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Sources say the name is still being decided upon, with three possibilities being the "Fold," "Galaxy Fold," and the "Galaxy F," with all three following similar trains of thought.
    Fill in your favourite F word for that option
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    auxio said:
    Sources say the name is still being decided upon, with three possibilities being the "Fold," "Galaxy Fold," and the "Galaxy F," with all three following similar trains of thought.
    It would be a terrible name, which makes it  likely to be picked. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    How about F for “flimsy”?

Or Galaxy C for “crease”?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    "Samsung is so innovative"

EKG on a mass produced device on your wrist that is stylish and functional that detects when you fall down and don't move and contacts emergency services and gives them your location---- "Apples best days are behind them"

edited January 2019 AppleExposedradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    auxio said:
    “Flop” works, even if it may not be the first word which springs to mind.
    AppleExposedradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    NY1822 said:

EKG on a mass produced device on your wrist that is stylish and functional that detects when you fall down and don't move and contacts emergency services and gives them your location---- "Apples best days are behind them"

Lol...That Apple innovation can never beat a 1” thick folded Galaxy which has square screen when opened and many useless bling bling features...;(
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    They've already entered "just another android" territory since they are no longer selling much better than any other iKnockoff.

NY1822 said:

Tim Cook isnt innovating!!!!*

*AirPods don't count either.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

This is definitely a "Wait for version 3" product. We've been over the problems with doing a hinged screen before, and without seeing how they're actually doing it, it's hard to say which problems this one's going to be prone to. I expect there will be some major issues in the first release, some residual issues in v2, and if they get to v3, they might have mostly worked them out, but it will still be a curiosity, and not necessarily a must-have feature. And it will probably still have issues they just can't resolve, but they'll keep it on the books just to say they have it.

I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong about any of this, of course. But I still won't jump to Samsung because of it.

radarthekatmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    “Ever wanted to have a phone that looks like a butt crack?”
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Let me guess...it’s going to be clunky but Samsung will get props for being first and Apple will be doomed somehow.
    That is certainly what you will say.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    “Ever wanted to have a phone that looks like a butt crack?”

I'll go beyond that and say it looks like shit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    brucemc said:
    That is certainly what you will say.
    Indeed. 🤣

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Not sure about this. 

I wonder what state the screen will be in after four years of folding. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Rayz2016 said:
    Not sure about this. 

Forget 4 years, will it survive even 4 hours of folding is the question right now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Not sure about this. 

Samsung products last 4 years?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Not sure about this. 

Hey I agree they don't have a great rep, but fun fact:
    Last summer my main phone died and I got in the drawer of old boxed phones to find a temporary filler until I could get another. The first one I pulled out amazingly still worked after a 30 minute charge. It was the first and last Samsung phone I ever bought, a circa 2012 S3. It's not the one I ended up putting into emergency duty ( I liked my old original Moto X more and it still worked too) but yes a Samsung phone may last longer than 4 years. 
  • Reply 19 of 21
    gatorguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Not sure about this. 

Last summer my main phone died and I got in the drawer of old boxed phones to find a temporary filler until I could get another. The first one I pulled out amazingly still worked after a 30 minute charge. It was the first and last Samsung phone I ever bought, a circa 2012 S3. It's not the one I ended up putting into emergency duty ( I liked my old original Moto X more and it still worked too) but yes a Samsung phone may last longer than 4 years. 

So what you're saying is, stuff that isn't used doesn't wear out. 😱

• Reply 20 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Not sure about this. 

So what you're saying is, stuff that isn't used doesn't wear out. 😱

Yes you could pretty much say that!  LOL.

That ol' Samsung was originally used for about 2 years, used for just a very short time again when I cracked the screen on my MotoX and sent in in for a "free" repair (had to pay a $50 deductible IIRC) and then again for a half day this past summer. Now the MotoX? That's still surprisingly good. It had pretty innovative features at the time that other phones didn't have until a year or more later, so even using it last year didn't feel as old as it is (2014). I don't think the battery was lasting more than half a day or so tho when I dug it out so I didn't dilly-dally on getting a used HTC (didn't like it one bit other than the audio) and then the used OG Pixel.