Three iPhones likely coming in Sept. 2019, with one a refresh of the LCD iPhone XR

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    If this rumor is true and the XR gets a dual-lens camera and the XS 5.8" remains dual-lens, then for new users the XS will be a tough sell.  The only real difference will be the OLED screen / 3D Touch / slightly smaller size.  In that case, it might be better just to drop the 5.8" OLED size altogether, and have:

5.5" XR - Dual-lens / LCD ($649)
    6.1" XR - Dual-lens / LCD ($749)
    6.5" XI  - Triple-lens / OLED ($999)
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 22 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It just dawned on me:
    These projections by these analysts assume that this is an "S" year for the iPhone -- where external form factors don't change.  That we'll see the same phones in 2019 that we saw in 2018.  That is obviously incorrect.   2018 (except for the Xr) was already the "S" year.

Thinking about it:  I would bet that they got word that Apple would not abandon the Xr -- and thus assumed there would be no other changes going on either.  Equally (likely) wrong.

My projection would be the opposite:   2020 will see major change:
    -- iOS12 was mostly a speed, stability & consolidation release.   iOS13 will see additional feature upgrades
    -- The Xs line will morph into something even more spectacular
    -- The Xr lines will be expanded to include an even cheaper, but smaller, version.
    -- We WILL see 5G (at least in the high end phones)

(The same rumors that predict we will only see only the same phones in 2019 that we saw in 2018 are the ones claiming Apple won't go to 5G.  Both are based on analyst speculation rather than fact.)
    designr
  • Reply 23 of 40
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Maybe it's just me, but I could not be less excited about new iPhones. 5G will only work in cities, and seems to be really bad indoors. The screens are big enough, and the cameras are great. For me, all the technology fun is in the Apple Watch and in smart home stuff. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 40
    It just dawned on me:
    These projections by these analysts assume that this is an "S" year for the iPhone -- where external form factors don't change.  That we'll see the same phones in 2019 that we saw in 2018.  That is obviously incorrect.   2018 (except for the Xr) was already the "S" year.
    Not obviously incorrect.
    In fact, iPhone 6, 6S, 7, and 8 had virtually the same external form factor.
    I'd be surprised if Apple changes the form factor this year so soon after X was released in 2017.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Will they have usb-c  

If apple plans on transitioning across the b, lets let 2019 be the year of the iPhone usb-c waiting until 2020 no!

streamline the ports Tim! Jony!

radarthekat
  • Reply 26 of 40
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    jungmark said:
    laoban00 said:
    If they do not release them with 5G they will not sell any. 
    Haha. Which markets will have 5G by the end of the year?
    Ask the wrong question, you get the wrong answer....

A better question is:
    "Which markets will have 5G over the life of the phone -- say 3-5 years out?"
    Then shouldn’t you hold out another 12 months to get a more mature 5g chipset. 12 has made a massive difference each generation change safe to assume this time as well so you’ll only get 5 to 6 years out of the 2020 phones. 
  • Reply 27 of 40
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Surprised there isn’t a suggestion floating around that next years phones won’t be the Xt and the XQ?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I thought Apple was finally getting away from the bigger and smaller flagship not having the same features and now this rumor has us back to the bigger phone getting a better camera. Are all these camera lenses the new megapixel obsession? Somehow the latest Pixel phone takes amazing photos (especially in low light) with just one lens.
    I just don’t believe that Apple will go to the triple sensor camera.   Past history was when they move to a bigger sensor size they spend a few years interactively improving on it.  But you never know.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I would hope that Apple would not be foolish enough to follow these analyst's projections / recommendations.

That mix of 3 phones turned out to be less than optimal in 2018 (it wasn't just one of the three).
    Plus, Apple needs a mix of high end as well as more affordable phones.  And, the OLED display adds hundreds of dollars to the cost of the phone.   So, for many, the LCD display is the more attractive option -- so Apple needs to expand on that rather than restricting it to a Plus/Max sized phone -- particularly because many users simply can't tell the difference between an OLED and LCD display and don't see any reason to shell out the extra 20-30% for the OLED.  

A smaller (Xs sized or even SE sized) phone would provide a modern but more affordable option as well as be a better form factor for many.  So I would hope that Apple would expand its line to 5 phones:  2 OLED and 3 LCDs:   Small, medium and large.

Another reason to not restrict themselves to only or mostly the highest of high end (OLED) phones:   We are currently in a period of unparalleled prosperity built on the back of multi-trillion dollar borrowing by the federal government as well as (effectively) by the federal reserve.   That obviously is not going to last forever.  And, when it breaks, more people will be looking for affordable phones.   Hopefully Apple is there to meet their needs with a full range of LCD phones.
    There is no way Apple will go all OLED without having a second OLED display supplier other than Samsung.   Maybe LG has worked out their problems (the screen on the Pixel 2XL was bad).

I definitely think that Apple should add in a Smaller phone on the order of thr iPhone 7.   If they had had this phone I doubt the would have had a shortfall.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 40
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Funny that a 3 cameras phone will make one a better photographer. 
    Also funny that we buy a phone because of its camera. 
    Funnier that we are telling Apple what to do as if we have all thief data. 
    Hilarious that hitting the bottom in pricing will help a company to sustain itself in the long run. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 31 of 40
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Give me an XR with two camera lenses and ability to show unobstructed full 1080 video at same price as current model and I will buy it. OLED is not a requirement.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mattinoz said:
    jungmark said:
    laoban00 said:

A better question is:
    Then shouldn’t you hold out another 12 months to get a more mature 5g chipset. 12 has made a massive difference each generation change safe to assume this time as well so you’ll only get 5 to 6 years out of the 2020 phones. 
    The 80/20 rule says "No".
  • Reply 33 of 40
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Apple should differentiate iPhone from other smart phones, e.g. by iOS vs Android. The proof is, you cannot find an iOS User Guide, you only find iPhone User Guide, iPad User Guide, and etc.

Sandboxing is a huge limitation for mega apps development. Apple should think of Sandbeaching, e.g. Bondi, for its next iOS major upgrade. Apps’ codes and data are integratable. SWIFT and Xcode are just not good enough.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    I would hope that Apple would not be foolish enough to follow these analyst's projections / recommendations.

Immediately followed by foolish recommendations that you hope Apple will follow.

Yup, no irony there.

• Reply 35 of 40
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    jungmark said:
    laoban00 said:

A better question is:
    Still not quite the right question.  

A better question is:
    When will the buyer of a 2019 iPhone need the faster speeds that 5G will deliver?  Today cellular plans are priced against monthly data allowance.  Many phone users try not to use their phone for streaming until they have a WiFi connection.  It’s not the download speed that’s causing them to hold off, it’s the data allowance.  Until that changes, and perhaps it will as 5G becomes widely available and more easily serves consumption load.  But that’s a while from 2019.  And maybe beyond 3-5 years.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 36 of 40
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,662member
    jungmark said:
    laoban00 said:

A better question is:
    Still. It quite the right question.  

A better question is:
    When will the buyer of a 2019 iPhone need the faster speeds that 5G will deliver?  Today cellular plans are priced against monthly data allowance.  Many phone users try not to use their phone for streaming until they have a WiFi connection.  It’s not the download speed that’s causing them to hold off, it’s the data allowance.  Until that changes, and perhaps it will as 5G becomes widely available and more easily serves consumption load.  But that’s a while from 2019.  And maybe beyond 3-5 years.
    Market forces will decide that particular aspect.

If carriers are spending billions on 5G licences and infrastructure, they will obviously have an interest in pushing phones that can take better advantage of what they are rolling out to be able to recoup the outlay from the get go.

Independently of whether users really need 5G or not (at the start), marketing, carriers and handset makers will create the needed demand (just like happened with 4K). Anyone without a 5G offering will automatically be seen as lacking and definitely will not be pushed hard by carriers.

Even if you only have one 5G handset in your lineup, it would be better than having none.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Stop making the phones bigger and bigger.

My 6S will be replaced by an 8 rather than an XR because I want to put it into a pocket.

How can putting a phone into a pocket be such a difficult concept for Apple to understand?
  • Reply 38 of 40
    vanoord said:
    Stop making the phones bigger and bigger.

My 6S will be replaced by an 8 rather than an XR because I want to put it into a pocket.

How can putting a phone into a pocket be such a difficult concept for Apple to understand?
    Amen!
  • Reply 39 of 40
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    sirozha said:
    If the 2019 XR has a 1080p screen and two cameras, I would buy it. Problem is, it’s not going to have 5G, which means it’s a transitional product. 

Where are you going to use that much 5G?