Ikea's HomeKit-compatible Smart Shades come to the US on Apr. 1

Posted:
in iPhone
Revealed earlier this week during CES 2019, Ikea's low-cost Smart Shades now have a precise U.S. launch date, Apr. 1.

The U.S.-bound Fyrtur.
The U.S.-bound Fyrtur.

The only model available will be the opaque Fyrtur, an Ikea spokeswoman informed Fast Company. The translucent Kadrilj model won't be coming to the U.S., even though both lines are already out in Europe.

European prices range from 99 to 155 euros, or about $113 to $181. Available dimensions run from 60-by-195 centimeters (23.6-by-76.8 inches) to 140-by-195 centimeters (55.1-by-76.8 inches).

Very few HomeKit-compatible shades are on the market, typically because of factors like custom sizing and elaborate electronics, which can also push prices out of the average person's range. Ikea's product gets around these issues with a limited selection of sizes, and a rechargeable battery that has to be periodically removed. People will be able to buy extra battery packs to minimize downtime.

The blinds also require buying Ikea's Tradfri hub for smarthome functions. Aside from HomeKit, the hub works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and an Ikea app.

The Swedish retailer offers a collection of Tradfri-enabled accessories, including plugs, lights, and motion sensors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    European prices range from 99 to 155 euros, or about $113 to $181. Available dimensions run from 60-by-195 centimeters (23.6-by-76.8 inches) to 140-by-195 centimeters (55.1-by-76.8 inches).

Very few HomeKit-compatible shades are on the market, typically because of factors like custom sizing and elaborate electronics, which can also push prices out of the average person's range.
    I've been looking for some HomeKit-compatible shades for a while.  I would like some for the tiny windows in our basement.  I checked out Serena, for the size we need (about 2'x1') the cost was about $450 a piece for the battery operated variety.  That price is just too high for such a small shade, especially considering the costs on the much larger (though not automated) shades/blinds/curtains we have on, say, our 8' sliding door, for instance.  I haven't used any of the Tradfri stuff and have seen mixed reviews.  It's marginally disappointing Ikea's sizing is not in line with my current needs.

Edit: thinking about it more, it would be nice if someone came out with just the mounting kit that would allow the HomeKit integration.  We don't need to replace our shades but maybe they could be swapped into a motorized and HomeKit ready chassis. That would be nice.
    edited January 2019 randominternetpersonkitatitirelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    My current shades have a thin aluminum later to create 100% opaqueness. Those don't look opaque to me. They seem to be bleeding skylight, especially on the left where the sky is behind them. But it's hard to be sure. They might just be reflecting internal light, which is fine.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    It's marginally disappointing Ikea's sizing is not in line with my current needs.

Aren't they the cut to custom width type of blinds? On an inside mount that would be important, on an outside mount not so much.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    If Apple even acquired a Homekit company it would be IKEA.

When will Apple change the name to simply "Home"?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Can you guys do a review of Ikea Homekit products? The existing one are pretty old and overall negative. I'd be interested to see if they improve with new updates or version of the products.
    Roger_Fingaslibertyforallwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,333member
    It seems very odd that the translucent version is being withheld from sale in the US. That's the model that I'm interested in.
    libertyforallwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Now you see if these blinds were really “smart” they would have a light sensor that allows them to close on sunny days and open on cloudy...
    libertyforallwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    hentaiboy said:
    Now you see if these blinds were really “smart” they would have a light sensor that allows them to close on sunny days and open on cloudy...
    Whaddaya expect to get for a relatively inexpensive "smartblind". You're getting greedy :)
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    gutengel said:
    Can you guys do a review of Ikea Homekit products? The existing one are pretty old and overall negative. I'd be interested to see if they improve with new updates or version of the products.
    We're working on it, as we speak.
    libertyforallwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member

Very few HomeKit-compatible shades are on the market, typically because of factors like custom sizing and elaborate electronics, which can also push prices out of the average person's range.
    I've been looking for some HomeKit-compatible shades for a while.  I would like some for the tiny windows in our basement.  I checked out Serena, for the size we need (about 2'x1') the cost was about $450 a piece for the battery operated variety.  That price is just too high for such a small shade, especially considering the costs on the much larger (though not automated) shades/blinds/curtains we have on, say, our 8' sliding door, for instance.  I haven't used any of the Tradfri stuff and have seen mixed reviews.  It's marginally disappointing Ikea's sizing is not in line with my current needs.

Edit: thinking about it more, it would be nice if someone came out with just the mounting kit that would allow the HomeKit integration.  We don't need to replace our shades but maybe they could be swapped into a motorized and HomeKit ready chassis. That would be nice.
    I agree about retrofitted mounting for HomeKit. It would be nice if they at least offered customised lengths even at IKEA and maybe a bit more variety on width. Just because the windows I want for 2 of which are 140, but they’re also only a 130 drop which is a waste. Even if it only knocked €10-20 off the price it is better than nothing, and it just seems wasteful. And the last window I want they don’t do a width big enough. As it stands I wouldn’t go near made to measure at the exorbitant prices. 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I’m thinking you could separate the hardware from the shade and customize the sizing. Just a thought. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    My current shades have a thin aluminum later to create 100% opaqueness. Those don't look opaque to me. They seem to be bleeding skylight, especially on the left where the sky is behind them. But it's hard to be sure. They might just be reflecting internal light, which is fine.
    I think that’s just an optical illusion from the heather grey color. Look at them on the IKEA website:

https://m2.ikea.com/de/de/p/fyrtur-verdunklungsrollo-kabellos-batteriebetrieben-grau-40408196/?query=Fyrtur
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Tuesday
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dewme said:
    It seems very odd that the translucent version is being withheld from sale in the US. That's the model that I'm interested in.
    I'm guessing that either IKEA is either being cautious or maybe the fabric doesn't meet US standards for flammability or gorilla-proofness or something.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15

ireland said:

Tuesday
    If they bought the whole company they could call it iKea.
    watto_cobra