First look at the Klipsch T5 Zippo-inspired truly wireless earbuds

Posted:
in General Discussion
True wireless earbuds popular at the moment, widely because of a push from Apple's introduction of the AirPods. During the Consumer Electronics Show, the show floor was loaded with companies of all sizes pitching their wares. One of the few that really caught our eye was the T5 by Klipsch.

Klipsch T5 truly wireless earbuds

The T5 Truly Wireless Earphones are the top end of the T5 lineup, above a pair of wired buds and two cabled Bluetooth models. They are housed in a much-reported-on Zippo-inspired metal case, that even has a bit of signature "ting" like the iconic lighter, though in these early models it is a bit more muffled. The final production model should have more of that snappy sound, we've been told.

Just like the metal case of the MW07 we reviewed, this storage container may show scratches over the polished exterior. For those looking to avoid that, there is a matte black option instead. Other than that, the enclosure felt good in our hands and was easy to open and close.

Klipsch has chosen to use its patented oval-shaped silicone ear tip which they claim better matches the shape of your ear canal and should be more comfortable over time. The size of the earbuds felt a little on the large size, but we will have to see how they actually feel in our ear to know how that will play out. The same goes for the audio quality as we weren't permitted to listen to them during the show.

We couldn't get a final number for the battery spec, but we were told it could be as much as 8-hours. They will be available in spring for $199 -- and we will be checking them out as soon as we can.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I’m sure they’re wonderful but that ugly gold logo just kills it for me.  Who would want that on the side of their face?

chasm
  • Reply 2 of 12
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    FYI tested Apple AirPods playing 3 on 3 basketball and they stayed in and worked perfectly on half court play. They even seemed to work at 3/4 court but did start to get spotty at full court. Overall much better than any $60 wireless set. Oh I left my phone on the baseline so if you leave your phone on the sideline half court you may be able to play full court and maintain good connection
    edited January 2019 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I’m sure they’re wonderful but that ugly gold logo just kills it for me.  Who would want that on the side of their face?

Just dont look in a mirror.😁

what makes them ‘truley’ wireless? Do they have some tech like the W1 chip to sync them properly?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    entropys said:

Just dont look in a mirror.😁

what makes them ‘truley’ wireless? Do they have some tech like the W1 chip to sync them properly?
    I believe "truly" refers to not having a wire between the two earpieces, unlike lamewad semi-wireless equipment that purports to be wireless.
    GeorgeBMaccaladanian
  • Reply 5 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I know Klipsch prides themselves on their oval ear tips but they just don’t work for me. Maybe my ear canals are square. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    It is truly sad what has happened to Klipsch- it is just a brand slapped on stuff made by others.

For the uninitiated, Klipsch was a mom and pop company based in Hope, Arkansas that produced a line of loudspeakers that featured horns instead of the traditional paper cone transducers. The Klipschorn used a folded horn in a corner mount to produce amazing tight bass and crystalline highs on a small fraction of the amplifier power needed by other speakers. I met Paul Klipsch in Germany on a promotional tour where he was making an appearance- he was really something and his speakers were awesome.

I first heard a set of Klipsch speakers in college taking a music appreciation course. He had donated a set to the university to install in the classrooms used for music appreciation and they certainly lived up to their reputation and his claims.

After his death the company changed hands and is mostly a marketing brand although they still produce a limited number of his speakers in Hope while the HQ has been moved to Indianapolis, Indiana. What was once a uniquely American brand of high end audio equipment respected around the world is now mostly just another brand of stuff probably made in China. The speakers Paul Klipsch made were objects of great skill and high quality with lots of hand finishing and furniture grade cabinets of high quality wood.

I doubt he would let an earbud have his name on it.
    edited January 2019 burnsideGeorgeBMacn2itivguycaladanianmacgui
  • Reply 7 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I look forward to the audio comparison between these and AirPods -- because I find the audio quality from Airpods to be beyond exceptional.   It's amazing.   It's hard for me to believe that anybody could make any meaningful improvement in it -- more likely they'll shuffle some frequency responses around to get "exceptional bass response" or "perfectly clear highs"...

Sound from the AirPods seems very well balanced to me.  And, I am expecting the next iteration will include noise cancellation in the buds as well as the microphones -- which will improve sound quality even more...
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 8 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    By the way, THIS is a Zippo!

• Reply 9 of 12
    @Dewme : Different people have ear canals with different profiles. I have lost track of how many earbuds I have tried over the past 15 years, and Klipsch, with the oval profile are the ONLY ones that work for my ears. Push them in, then rotate until they "lock" in place, providing a good acoustic seal, comfortable, without any tight spots.
    wg45678caladanian
  • Reply 10 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    davgreg said:
    It is truly sad what has happened to Klipsch- it is just a brand slapped on stuff made by others.

For the uninitiated, Klipsch was a mom and pop company based in Hope, Arkansas that produced a line of loudspeakers that featured horns instead of the traditional paper cone transducers. The Klipschorn used a folded horn in a corner mount to produce amazing tight bass and crystalline highs on a small fraction of the amplifier power needed by other speakers. I met Paul Klipsch in Germany on a promotional tour where he was making an appearance- he was really something and his speakers were awesome.

I first heard a set of Klipsch speakers in college taking a music appreciation course. He had donated a set to the university to install in the classrooms used for music appreciation and they certainly lived up to their reputation and his claims.

After his death the company changed hands and is mostly a marketing brand although they still produce a limited number of his speakers in Hope while the HQ has been moved to Indianapolis, Indiana. What was once a uniquely American brand of high end audio equipment respected around the world is now mostly just another brand of stuff probably made in China. The speakers Paul Klipsch made were objects of great skill and high quality with lots of hand finishing and furniture grade cabinets of high quality wood.

I doubt he would let an earbud have his name on it.
    I agree 100% with this entire post. While I could never afford any real Klipsch speakers (or had the room for Klipschorns or Cornerhorns, I had friends with real money. I really loved the loaded horn sound. And they were highly efficient speaker. One watt gave a lot of audio.

Many, many old brands have been sold as the original companies ceased business. They were bought up by people only interested in selling a mediocre product on someone else's cachet. I know several people how tout the Klipsch 2.1 computer speaker system as the best things ever. I have a pair and at the end of a day, put them in the closet. They play loudly, and relatively distortion free. But that doesn't make them a good reproducer, and they're not.

These new earbuds may rival others in the category or not. But I can't believe they even begin to merit the Klipsch name.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 12
    stubbstubb Posts: 16member
    davgreg said:

After his death the company changed hands and is mostly a marketing brand although they still produce a limited number of his speakers in Hope while the HQ has been moved to Indianapolis, Indiana.
    The Heritage Series are all made in Hope, AK and are works of art, both musically and aesthetically. Think of them as refined PA speakers—they're super fun to listen to and will play crazy loud without distorting.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    xnovaxnova Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Guys, I hope Klipsch T5 Zippo address these issue I have with other truely wireless earpiece, none the less it must sound as great as it's previously wired* product.
    Issues list:
    1. Most or if not all Wireless earpiece is not meant for sharing between couples, meaning you could not wear one and the other for your love one, the connection between wireless earpiece will just break. 

2. Currently mostly of them claims to be clear voices in making a call with them, yes some achieve it, but the ambient noise is included inside, so the other person can't hear you in a crowd.

3. I have a couple of time getting full volume blast because it remembers the previous setting where volume may accidentally increase when removal or activating.. wish there's a preset volume features to protect user ears.. 

4. not a issue but I hope there's a volume control on the side of this Klipsch T5 Zippo.lol

edited February 2019