IMDB and Amazon shifts into free video streaming with ad-supported Freedive

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    IMDB is as ubiquitous and essential as Wikipedia.  It's got to be considered one of the 7 Wonders of the Internet World.  I hadn't realized that Amazon acquired it.
    Amazon bought it ages ago. Then they started messing it up. First the DVD section of every show or movie was removed. That was my best source for finding out whether DVDs were available for a TV show, or how many different releases of a movie were made on DVD, so I could figure out which one to buy or avoid. 
    What the hell is this then?

and this

ravnorodom
  • Reply 22 of 22
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    daven said:
    payeco said:
    daven said:
    IMDB is as ubiquitous and essential as Wikipedia.  It's got to be considered one of the 7 Wonders of the Internet World.  I hadn't realized that Amazon acquired it.
    Amazon bought it ages ago. Then they started messing it up. First the DVD section of every show or movie was removed. That was my best source for finding out whether DVDs were available for a TV show, or how many different releases of a movie were made on DVD, so I could figure out which one to buy or avoid. Then a few years ago, they dumped their forums, which I used to ask questions about shows or movies, apparently because of Internet trolls and their own refusal to hire moderators. My IMDb use plummeted after that. While I used to visit several times a week or even daily, I now hit the site once a week at most, and often only because Google brought it up.
    I also used to use IMDb as my 'go to' for movie data but you are right. Amazon mucked it up after they bought it and now I hardly use it at all.

Edit: If it came down to watching a few commercials every 15 minutes or paying $0.99 or $2.99 for a movie, I'll pay the money. One big reason I dropped cable was that I couldn't stomach paying through the nose to watch commercials. I would really like a paid TCM app. Curated movies without commercials.
    The mucked it up in 1998? Because that’s when Amazon bought it.
    I didn't say that Amazon mucked it up on day one. I simply said they mucked it up.
    C’mon now. Saying someone screwed something up after they bought it implies it happened somewhat soon after they bought it. Not 15-20 years later.