Additional details emerge for first HomeKit doorbell from Robin Telecom

Posted:
in General Discussion
AppleInsider has received new details regarding Robin Telecom's ProLine HomeKit-equipped doorbell, including the price point and a more detailed shipping schedule.

Robin Telecom ProLine Video Doorbell
Robin Telecom ProLine Video Doorbell

Robin Telecom -- a Netherlands based company -- first tipped their hand to AppleInsider ahead of CES, but the announcement lacked many details. Now, the company is filling in the blanks.

After being approved by Apple back in December, the ProLine doorbell is the sole device listed on Apple's official HomeKit devices page, despite others being announced during CES 2019.

The first shipments of the ProLine Video Doorbell will begin by the end of January for many countries outside the U.S. The first round of countries include Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, UK, United Arab Emirates.

By the end of February, both ProLine will be available in the U.S. as well as Canada.

Pricing for the ProLine will be on the high end -- $660 -- likely appealing to contractors more than your standard consumer. Those looking for a cheaper option may want to consider the new Netatmo HomeKit-enabled doorbell, though it isn't shipping as quickly.

Those interested can sign up to be notified on the company's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    It's an interesting business model to sell a video doorbell for $660. 

Was this company founded by Tim Cook's nephew about whom we hear so much from Tim? 

Why isn't Netatmo on the Apple's list of HomeKit compatible devices? 
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Wow, what are you getting that makes this doorbell worth $660? Does it have a gold  faceplate? Is the camera at least 4k?  Why Is it so much more over everyone else?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    jbdragon said:
    Wow, what are you getting that makes this doorbell worth $660? Does it have a gold  faceplate? Is the camera at least 4k?  Why Is it so much more over everyone else?
    Why not?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Wow. One HomeKit enabled doorbell? And only one more on the way (that doesn’t have a battery)? 

Another f u from Apple to its customers. And so many other categories are only recently getting some potential decent options.. smoke alarms, garage door openers, windows shades. Still only one compatible security system. 

Ffs how many fucking years do we need to wait before Apple has the decency to make sure its customers have reasonable options to take advantage of the ecosystem? 

Also still waiting on Siri to not be a piece of crap. And not keep repeating the same obnoxious colloquialisms every gd time I want to do even the simplest thing.

Still waiting on maps to have reliable info about businesses and also not give me directions to a different continent.

These problems have been around for years. What the hell is Apple doing?

Why is the head of the one division responsible for nearly all of apples failures still working at Apple? 

If Tim doesn’t have the guts to fire Eddie cue then why does he allow himeslef to remain ceo??

Also, Mr Cook, it does little good to take a principled stance in favor of privacy, no matter how impressive, or how potentually essential it may be for the future of humanity, if you do virtually nothing to offer a viable alternative. I don’t want douchey google, or butt-head bezos spying on me through nest and ring. Where is your alternative Apple? Where is your vision/leadership??? Please fix these things already. 
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Something's amiss here.  Hard to believe they are going to market with a consumer product priced at three times the competition.  No one is going to pay $660 for a door bell camera.  Probably a language issue. I do wish Apple would do a demonstration product with a line of home security devices such as these to show how to produce a high quality, well designed product that doesn't compromise your privacy and security would look.  
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 6 of 9
    sirozha said:
    jbdragon said:
    Why not?
    Not likely the accurate price.  No company, with little or no name recognition and limited or no ecosystem, would come late to market with a product priced 3 times it's competitors.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    sirozha said:
    jbdragon said:
    Why not?
    Well sure they can put out whatever they want at any price point they want.  If no one buys it then it's a money loses.   Being triple the price of everyone else on a brand name not many know, Why would anyone buy it? Since this is being shown at CES, it may never see the light of day.  Not drumming up enough interest.  Could also be released under another company name.  Price point could change.  What you see now may even change some. We will see what happens in the future.  One thing is for sure, I won't be buying a $660 door bell.

• Reply 8 of 9
    It’s way to expensive,what happened to the leaked august doorbell the “view” was it not announced at ces?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Wow. One HomeKit enabled doorbell? And only one more on the way (that doesn’t have a battery)? 

Another f u from Apple to its customers. And so many other categories are only recently getting some potential decent options.. smoke alarms, garage door openers, windows shades. Still only one compatible security system. 

Ffs how many fucking years do we need to wait before Apple has the decency to make sure its customers have reasonable options to take advantage of the ecosystem? 

Also still waiting on Siri to not be a piece of crap. And not keep repeating the same obnoxious colloquialisms every gd time I want to do even the simplest thing.

Still waiting on maps to have reliable info about businesses and also not give me directions to a different continent.

These problems have been around for years. What the hell is Apple doing?

Why is the head of the one division responsible for nearly all of apples failures still working at Apple? 

If Tim doesn’t have the guts to fire Eddie cue then why does he allow himeslef to remain ceo??

Also, Mr Cook, it does little good to take a principled stance in favor of privacy, no matter how impressive, or how potentually essential it may be for the future of humanity, if you do virtually nothing to offer a viable alternative. I don’t want douchey google, or butt-head bezos spying on me through nest and ring. Where is your alternative Apple? Where is your vision/leadership??? Please fix these things already. 
    Pretty much all your posts, are rambling, incoherent, rabid, shitty troll posts. How the hell is it Apple's fault that there are no Homekit Doorbells? It's up to the manufacturer's to include HK support. Not surprising that you put 100% of the blame on Apple, as if they need to be producing their own doorbell. Homekit has higher security/privacy requirements than the others, so naturally it's not going to have as much support as Google/Alexa who have zero qualms about privacy or security. How the fuck is that on Apple, or their "leadership/vision"? There are hundreds of Homekit products, and the list is expanding every day. Stop being an entitled dimwit. Also, I use Apple Maps every single day, and it works perfectly for me 99% of the time. Not sure what the fuck you're talking about. Same with Siri. What exactly are you demanding from it? I have Google Home as well, and it seems to have all of the same limitations. Clearly you have no clue how many of this stuff works. It's not magic. Stop being such a whiny troll, offering zero solutions beyond bitching and whining.