Apple sees Mac sales dip, marketshare increase in Q4 PC industry estimates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    chasm said:
    [...] Mac prices haven't changed in quite a long time
    What do you mean by "a long time?" Prices have gone up with every iteration since at least 2016.
    edited January 2019 muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 22 of 45
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    I own a software company and the last Macbook Pro I bought was in 2017 for my graphical designer.  The 2 machines I bought in 2018, one for a backend developer and one for a frontend developer, were both Dell XPS 13 machines running Ubuntu.  While for the backend developers the preferred machine was already an XPS, for the frontend developer this is a switch from a Mac to XPS.

The reason s simple, the Dell XPS has a superior price value ratio.  For a config with a 8th gen i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, the Macbook Pro is 48% more expensive.  The Dell has excellent build quality, a real escape key (very important for software development) a great screen, good battery and a superior keyboard.  The Mac has a superior SSD but a mediocre keyboard and a for a software developer useless Touchbar. Even if the price were equal, it would not be obvious that for software development the Mac is the better machine   

I will continue to buy Macs for doing graphical design because of the application stack (Adobe Creative and Sketch).  Apparently software developers are no longer belonging to the target audience of the Macbook Pro

muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 45
    entropys said:
    What! I thought there was all this pent up demand for a new MBA and mini! 200k less units! My cup runneth over!*
    Does this mean people aren’t embracing a y series processor and a 300 nit screen at a higher price, while lower priced competitors have u series processors? Or exorbitant prices for extra storage or memory over base config?

What is the world coming to?

* remembers its Gartner after all.
    Lol 😂 iPads start at $330. And are still faster than most PCs.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    elijahg said:
    Gartner is saying via Macrumors that Mac marketshare is down. I'm holding off on a new iMac because I refuse to pay £2250 for a two year old machine with a very mediocre GPU, and just 8GB RAM. It's laughable.
    Buy refurbished or used then.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Scot1 said:
     All I know is that I’ve been waiting for an updated iMac with an oled screen. My 2012 is getting long in the tooth
    OLEDs have half the lifespan of LCD. Plus burn in. 
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 45
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    I was one of the customer who was looking into buying Apple computer but in the end decided against it. When I wanted to buy laptop, I could not justify the exorbitant price of Mac computers and then went on to buy Asus Zebook and saved almost $1,200 CAD and with the more powerful and latest hardware. I was then looking to replace Mac Mini 2014 but after seeing that SSD is soldered and Apple throttles it, I hold off buying the over priced Mac mini. The only thing I want from Apple is MacOS and I am even willing to pay for it same price as Windows but since that is not going to happen, I am going to build myself Hackintosh and save myself paying Apple tax and get far better hardware at far better price. Talk about the missed opportunity. Except MacOS, I do not care about Apple and they can go ahead and close down their business and I will not loose a sleep.
    I know we shouldn't feed the trolls but here goes anyway!!

When I bought my MacBook Pro (Retina) nearly 7 years ago, I was aware that there were cheaper Windows machines out there with the 'latest & greatest' hardware but what I wanted was a reliable machine, running OS X/MacOS that did what I needed it to do without any 'faffing' around. I haven't been let down and have a machine that still demands no compromises from me in day to day personal usage when compared to my much newer Lenovo laptop that my employers provide.

I hope that the amount of time you will spend building and maintaining your Hackintosh is worth it - it wouldn't take too much time before your $1,200 CAD saving is wiped out in the hours you will have spent making it work. I'm happy to pay a little more up front and reap the subsequent benefits of a machine that just works!
    edited January 2019 chasmfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 45
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    entropys said:
    What! I thought there was all this pent up demand for a new MBA and mini! 200k less units! My cup runneth over!*
    Does this mean people aren’t embracing a y series processor and a 300 nit screen at a higher price, while lower priced competitors have u series processors? Or exorbitant prices for extra storage or memory over base config?

Lol 😂 iPads start at $330. And are still faster than most PCs.
    I’m sorry, I don’t understand why you mentioned ipads.  Are you suggesting they are more capable than a real computer? Is that you, Mr Cook? 

If so, fix the iPads’ deficiencies and really make that theory true. It’s only a software problem. Do it!
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Apple needs to expand out of its narrow niche market of the Mac's (particularly MacBooks) Thin, Light, Minimalist design.  That would do two things:
    1)  Expand its market potential:   I have both a Lenovo ThinkPad and a MacBook Air.  The ThinkPad gets used far more than the MacBook because of its ports and keyboard.  The keyboard not only has a much superior typing feel but also a full keyboard with delete & backspace keys as well home and page up & down keys.   But too:  the left/right buttons on the trackpad make it much easier & more automatic to use.  The bottom line:  The Thinkpad is much more efficient to use because of the ports and (mostly) the better keyboard & touchpad.

2)  By expanding their volume they could lower the price.   A big part of the cost of a Mac is the cost of the design, OS and ecosystem.  Which, for Apple, is mostly a fixed cost that they will incur regardless of how many they sell.  So, the more they sell the lower the cost of each machine is.

But, they have, so far, restricted themselves to selling limited number of machines by limiting themselves to a narrow niche market looking for thin, light, minimalist machines.

There's a whole other world out there Apple!   You don't have to abandon your current products -- just expand the line to make it attractive to a wider range of people and uses.
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Luxury products over-deliver, which is part of the luxury.

Imagine a Porsche-911, a $90,000 car I think; with cloth seats and 150hp engine.  Both would suffice and it's still a well designed luxury car and a great experience, but it's just not right.  The buyer's don't NEEEEED 400hp, but it's part of the over-delivered luxury expectation.

Base Macbook Pro is $1299 U.S.  Processor is yesteryear (debit), Core i5 (debit), 8GB RAM (debit),  128GB (debit). 
    Where's the luxury for the $?  Every aspect is a downgrade, and price is still ultra-premium.
    Even if Apple's data shows most people only use Safari & Mail and don't use big-storage; it's just not "enough", luxury wise, for that price.

Through my spouse I've paid a smidge of attention to luxury handbags. 
    I can appreciate them because, like Apple products, they're very $, but VERY well made. 
    What if some of that double-stitching goodness went away?  Full-$, but only one row of stitch?
    "Don't worry, our data shows it won't fall apart and is just as good for what YOU'RE going to do with it".  No thanks.

Luxury MEANs extra.  Over-made, over-done, Better than better.

I know Apple sells to the high ends, but it also seems like Apple could meet the public in the middle, and still be a luxury provider:
    Perhaps base config should be $799 for 7th Gen i5, 8GB, 128GB. 
    Membership is the luxury.  The O/S is the luxury.  Specs are JUST ENOUGH to get into the luxury Apple club.
    i7, 16GB and 512GB:  $999?  That's a high price right there.
    And GRADUALLY go up from there?  15", 32GB, 1TB SSD, etc etc.

Right now the buyer is getting it on both ends.  Very high $, and less "zing", less "pizazz".

Good weekend all.
    muthuk_vanalingampropodmpw_amherstelijahg
  • Reply 30 of 45

Imagine a Porsche-911, a $90,000 car I think; with cloth seats and 150hp engine.  Both would suffice and it's still a well designed luxury car and a great experience, but it's just not right.  The buyer's don't NEEEEED 400hp, but it's part of the over-delivered luxury expectation.

Base Macbook Pro is $1299 U.S.  Processor is yesteryear (debit), Core i5 (debit), 8GB RAM (debit),  128GB (debit). 
    Where's the luxury for the $?  Every aspect is a downgrade, and price is still ultra-premium.
    Even if Apple's data shows most people only use Safari & Mail and don't use big-storage; it's just not "enough", luxury wise, for that price.

I can appreciate them because, like Apple products, they're very $, but VERY well made. 
    What if some of that double-stitching goodness went away?  Full-$, but only one row of stitch?
    "Don't worry, our data shows it won't fall apart and is just as good for what YOU'RE going to do with it".  No thanks.

I know Apple sells to the high ends, but it also seems like Apple could meet the public in the middle, and still be a luxury provider:
    Membership is the luxury.  The O/S is the luxury.  Specs are JUST ENOUGH to get into the luxury Apple club.

Right now the buyer is getting it on both ends.  Very high $, and less "zing", less "pizazz".

Good weekend all.
    You're right that cutting corners would be okay in a reasonably-priced product, but it leaves a bad taste when stuff costs as much as Apple's.

A couple years ago I caught myself being really cynical about Apple product announcements. I don't remember what the product was, but my wife told me she'd just seen a new whatever-it-was with Desirable Feature 1 and Desirable Feature 2 for a price that seemed reasonable. Instead of reacting with excitement, I asked "What's the 'gotcha?'"

The "gotcha" is the one characteristic of the product that ruins the buyer experience. The thing that makes you say "Those buggers" instead of "TAKE MY MONEY!" Things like including only one port on a MacBook. Announcing high-current fast charging then including only a low-current power supply. Removing and charging extra for accessories that used to be included. Announcing newer, better ports that you accept will mean replacing all your cables, but then charging 50% more for those cables than the old ones. Making a nice computer but including only enough storage for the OS and not much else, then charging egregious prices to bring it up to useful capacity.

There may be good reasons for all of that, and I don't profess to know better than Apple how to bring products to market. All I know is how it makes me feel. I now approach new products with fear of what the REAL cost is going to be instead of feeling excited about acquiring new features.
    williamlondonmpw_amherstelijahg
  • Reply 31 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Good weekend all.
    My Thinkpad feels more luxurious to me than my MacBook.   It's just not as svelte.  Actually, its a little chunky.  But it feels better & works better as long as I don't have to carry it too far.  The big attraction of the MacBook for me is how it integrates with my other Apple products -- I love how my Apple Watch unlocks it.

I agree that Apple could work on a Mac for the masses.
    But I also think that their idea of high end quality is a bit limited by their design philosophy.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 45
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    mike54 said:
    I'm surprised it didn't go lower.
    eg Take Apple's only reasonably(?) priced headless mac. After 4 years of no updates, they produce a updated version in the exact same case with pathetic internal graphics, with the same thermal constraints. A company as big as Apple and after 4 years of nothing, this really should of been more than a lacklustre effort.
    Lackluster my ass. The i7 is fast as a goddamned 8-core Mac Pro, blazing storage speeds, quiet and cool, and has the the GPU is faster than any previous mini, including the 2012 dGPU:

2018 Mac mini vs 2014 Mac mini (Iris) graphics. About 59% faster.
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...Iris-Pro-HD-5100-Mobile-11-GHz/m356797vsm8813

2018 Mac mini vs 2014 Mac mini (HD 5000) graphics. About 87% faster.
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...-Intel-HD-5000-Mobile-1011-GHz/m356797vsm8536

2018 Mac mini vs 2012 Mac mini (HD 4000) graphics. About 149% faster.
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...s-Intel-HD-4000-Mobile-125-GHz/m356797vsm7653

2018 Mac mini vs 2011 Mac mini (Radeon HD 6630M discrete) graphics. About 80% faster.
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...e-i5-i7-vs-AMD-Radeon-HD-6630M/m356797vsm9654

2018 Mac mini vs 2011 Mac mini (HD 3000) graphics. About 295% faster.
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...Intel-HD-3000-Mobile-V2-13-GHz/m356797vsm7647

2018 Mac mini vs 2010 Mac mini (Nvidia GeForce 320M) graphics. About 353% faster.
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...e-i5-i7-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-320M/m356797vsm9153

And you can do an eGPU if you need more than integrated provides.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/mac-mini,review-5908.html

chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 45
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    jdw said:
    To keep Mac sales, specifically notebook Mac sales, from declining further, Apple needs to consider the needs and demands of The Rest of Us, and not just millennials who don't care about how good a keyboard feels, about what happens when you trip over the power cord, who don't care about how useful an SD card slot really is, who don't mind dongles, who don't care about a TouchBar they never use, who only use battery power and therefore don't care if there's no extension power cord in the box, and who don't care about fun things like the glowing Apple logo.  Generation X has the buying power, not millennials, and we also have a lot of legacy equipment too.  Our needs are different from theirs, yet like them, we want to buy Macs. Indeed, we of the older generation have a longer history with Apple and therefore have a more vested interest in seeing something appealing come out of Apple.  But we only want to buy Macs when those new Macs suit our needs.  Currently for me, only the iMac does that.  Apple notebooks have been ridiculous since late 2016.  Despite the fact Apple already had the MacBook and Air lines to satisfy the Johnny Ive death quest for ultimate thinness, Apple chose to gut the MacBook "Pro" in like manner, thereby rending all Apple notebooks largely the same.  It's now back the for Performa confusion days at Apple. 

Some argue that Apple is now an iPhone company so the Mac doesn't matter.  If that silliness is true, Tim Cook's commitment to the Mac would then be a lie, and then we have the bigger question of "why bother"?  That's especially true of the Mac Pro.  If rumors are right about the forthcoming Mac Pro being so expensive The Rest of Us cannot afford it, and thereby deliberately keeping the potential number of buyers to the same or less as the Apple Watch solid gold Edition buyers, why the heck do they even bother designing the thing?  Seriously!  It makes zero sense.  Zero.

No, we need a true MacBook "Pro" and a 17" version, and an affordable Mac Pro too.  One cannot argue in defense of the status quo anymore.  Something big needs to change in Apple's design labs where function starts to take a little more priority than form.  And I personally hope that change will be a stark IMPROVEMENT over what I've seen in the last few years.  We need a Steve Jobsian style shakeup in Cupertino.

Good job, you ticked off the typical dinosaur Mac user's bitch list.

I just upgraded from a 2011 MBP to a maxed out 2018 i9/Vega 20/32GB/2TB 15" MBP and this is by far my favorite Mac ever, and I've been using them since 1984. In no conceivable way is this machine "gutted", it's fast as fuck and has four 40Gbps ports that can handle anything you throw at them. TouchBar is awesome. Keyboard is the best I've ever used. Dongles are a minor growing pain for legacy gear but is highly overblown and worth it to move forward. Extension cord? If you can't find one for free, you can buy one off Ebay for like $3. There's literally a pile of them at my office right here doing nothing, they're a waste for most users. Glowing Apple? Give me a break. have you looked at how thin the display is on these things? $100 says the next screen upgrade means OLED or microLED which means no backlight anyway. 

It's really just best to move forward with the rest of us, or you'll die angry with nobody listening to you prattle on about how much "better" computers were back in the day.

chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 45
    I just upgraded from a 2011 MBP to a maxed out 2018 i9/Vega 20/32GB/2TB 15" MBP [...] Keyboard is the best I've ever used.
    Give it time. That opinion may change. I liked mine at first too. I liked it less as it began flaking out with stuck and repeating keys.

Then again, mine is the 2016 so maybe yours will be better since Apple has had two years to work on it.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    TL;DR
    Whats the point if Intel itself is in jeopardy.  I bet it will stay this way until Mac comes with own processors.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 45
    entropys said:

Y (or should I say core m that pretend to be an i7) is an awkward choice in 2018.  It's twice slower than U from Ultrabook, 3-5x slower than H from performance laptops, 4-6x slower than current 9700K/9900K, and probably 8-10x slower if Ryzen 3000 become a thing.  Even modern smartphones performed better in many cases!

(Meanwhile, iPad Pro manages to match an 8th-gen Core U and that only requires less than half of its power.  Oh, and no throttling in 12.9".)

The only two advantage for Y are fanless (not anymore) and best at power-saving.  If Air wanted to have a much longer battery life compared to rest, it leaves no choice.

Once again Intel has outdone themselves.
    edited January 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 45
    jdw said:
    To keep Mac sales, specifically notebook Mac sales, from declining further, Apple needs to consider the needs and demands of The Rest of Us, and not just millennials who don't care about how good a keyboard feels, about what happens when you trip over the power cord, who don't care about how useful an SD card slot really is, who don't mind dongles, who don't care about a TouchBar they never use, who only use battery power and therefore don't care if there's no extension power cord in the box, and who don't care about fun things like the glowing Apple logo.  Generation X has the buying power, not millennials, and we also have a lot of legacy equipment too.  Our needs are different from theirs, yet like them, we want to buy Macs. Indeed, we of the older generation have a longer history with Apple and therefore have a more vested interest in seeing something appealing come out of Apple.  But we only want to buy Macs when those new Macs suit our needs.  Currently for me, only the iMac does that.  Apple notebooks have been ridiculous since late 2016.  Despite the fact Apple already had the MacBook and Air lines to satisfy the Johnny Ive death quest for ultimate thinness, Apple chose to gut the MacBook "Pro" in like manner, thereby rending all Apple notebooks largely the same.  It's now back the for Performa confusion days at Apple. 

Some argue that Apple is now an iPhone company so the Mac doesn't matter.  If that silliness is true, Tim Cook's commitment to the Mac would then be a lie, and then we have the bigger question of "why bother"?  That's especially true of the Mac Pro.  If rumors are right about the forthcoming Mac Pro being so expensive The Rest of Us cannot afford it, and thereby deliberately keeping the potential number of buyers to the same or less as the Apple Watch solid gold Edition buyers, why the heck do they even bother designing the thing?  Seriously!  It makes zero sense.  Zero.

No, we need a true MacBook "Pro" and a 17" version, and an affordable Mac Pro too.  One cannot argue in defense of the status quo anymore.  Something big needs to change in Apple's design labs where function starts to take a little more priority than form.  And I personally hope that change will be a stark IMPROVEMENT over what I've seen in the last few years.  We need a Steve Jobsian style shakeup in Cupertino.

I just upgraded from a 2011 MBP to a maxed out 2018 i9/Vega 20/32GB/2TB 15" MBP and this is by far my favorite Mac ever, and I've been using them since 1984. In no conceivable way is this machine "gutted", it's fast as fuck and has four 40Gbps ports that can handle anything you throw at them. TouchBar is awesome. Keyboard is the best I've ever used. Dongles are a minor growing pain for legacy gear but is highly overblown and worth it to move forward. Extension cord? If you can't find one for free, you can buy one off Ebay for like $3. There's literally a pile of them at my office right here doing nothing, they're a waste for most users. Glowing Apple? Give me a break. have you looked at how thin the display is on these things? $100 says the next screen upgrade means OLED or microLED which means no backlight anyway. 

It's really just best to move forward with the rest of us, or you'll die angry with nobody listening to you prattle on about how much "better" computers were back in the day.

Every laptop in 2018 is a mess.  I don't get how they can blame solely on Apple and be okay with Intel.  They can't even manage to keep it cool with only six-cores.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 45
    I just upgraded from a 2011 MBP to a maxed out 2018 i9/Vega 20/32GB/2TB 15" MBP [...] Keyboard is the best I've ever used.
    Give it time. That opinion may change. I liked mine at first too. I liked it less as it began flaking out with stuck and repeating keys.

Then again, mine is the 2016 so maybe yours will be better since Apple has had two years to work on it.
    At which point I’d take it in to get serviced. Also, yes, we all know the 2017 keyboard was changed as was the 2018 more significantly, so your anecdote doesn’t apply to me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 45

DuhSesame said:
    jdw said:

Every laptop in 2018 is a mess.  I don't get how they can blame solely on Apple and be okay with Intel.  They can't even manage to keep it cool with only six-cores.
    A “mess”?  This MBP has stayed far cooler than my old quad core did. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 45

At which point I’d take it in to get serviced. Also, yes, we all know the 2017 keyboard was changed as was the 2018 more significantly, so your anecdote doesn’t apply to me. 
    How do you "service" away a design flaw? Apple has already said repairs to 2016 and 2017 keyboards will be with like kind, NOT an updated version. That means best case scenario they replace this flawed keyboard with another one that has the same issue. Whoopie.

As for "your anecdote doesn't apply to me," I sincerely hope you're right. It's a little early for you to be smug about it though.