Rumor: Apple developing seventh-generation iPod touch, mulling USB-C for next iPhone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2019
Industry scuttlebutt from CES 2019 suggests Apple is looking to market a next-generation iPod touch device to stimulate services revenue from Apple Music and the App Store. Separately, sources claim the company is working to integrate USB-C into a 2019 iPhone model.

Citing "several" Apple supply chain sources, Japanese blog Mac Otakara on Tuesday reports the tech giant is developing a new iPod touch model that will act as a gateway to services like Apple Music.

As noted by the publication, Apple's sixth-generation iPod touch launched in July 2015 and at $199 for a 32GB version represents the most affordable mobile access point to a host of digital services.

Running iOS, the current device is capable of streaming Apple Music over a Wi-Fi connection, while users can purchase and download apps via the iOS App Store. Hardware features are lacking in comparison to iPhone, with a more than four-year-old A8 processor, 8MP camera and 4-inch display, but the parts selection is for some worth Apple's asking price.

Further details were not provided and it is not clear if the supposed iPod model will be a complete revamp or a simple specification update.

Sources also claim Apple is mulling a transition from Lightning to USB-C connectivity for its next-generation iPhone. Those involved say the project has not yet yielded a reference design, a critical step on the way to mass production, though the company is apparently working toward that goal.

Today's iPhone rumor lines up with previous reports suggesting Apple would make the switch to the faster, more robust protocol in 2019. Apple's first USB-C enabled portable debuted in the 2018 iPad Pro line late last year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    I'm not convinced that there's a place for an iPod Touch in today's world.
    yojimbo007williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 57
    iPod touch makes a great "gateway" into the Apple ecosystem for children who are too young to have an iPhone. A $200 apple device with monthly payment is the ideal Christmas/Birthday gift for kids.  It allows them get hooked on the app store, and start building their music library.  iTunes cards are a given at every gift opportunity.  When they are ready, they can transition into  a "hand me down" iPhone from Mom and Dad, and away they go...
    dedgeckorobbyx80s_Apple_GuyentropyscgWerksnetmagemacseekerbaconstangbluefire1racoleman29
  • Reply 3 of 57
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    LOL USB-c more robust compared to Lightening you have to be kidding right?

If they build a new iPod Touch they should treat it as a non-cellual iPhone. Allow wifi calling make it a viable option for business or even school kids inside a mesh that extends from their school, for instance. 

They could do two sizes then match with a low cost iPhone as well. 
  • Reply 4 of 57
    My eldest daughter is under 10. In a few years, I see nothing wrong in helping her understand the rules and responsibilities of owning such a mobile device. And yes, a $200-300 such device is much more palatable compared to an $750-1000 device, even if it’s an older handset.

Though a $50 replacement battery for my X in two to three years is also cheaper 🧐
    edited January 2019 80s_Apple_Guydoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 57
    dedgecko said:
    My eldest daughter is under 10. In a few years, I see nothing wrong in helping her understand the rules and responsibilities of owning such a mobile device. And yes, a $200-300 such device is much more palatable compared to an $750-1000 device, even if it’s an older handset.

Though a $50 replacement battery for my X in two to three years is also cheaper 🧐
    Sorry, your battery replacement will not be $50, it will be $70. 

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power
  • Reply 6 of 57
    The new iPod having an A8 processor I bet is incorrect.  The A9 is still in use (& sold) in the IPhone 6s.

It would be stupid to make the A8 just for this...

We can assume the A9 will have iOS support for some time.... the A8, not so much.

Edit: the iPhone 6s & SE both use the A9.  The biggest difference between the 6 and 6s is 2x the ram (1GB vs. 2 GB)
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Speaking for myself, I really wish they had kept the clip-on iPod shuffle. No iPod was better for runners and it’s absurd anyone at Apple could think an Apple Watch is a realistic replacement for a $50 iPod.
    robbyxdayeike17055
  • Reply 8 of 57
    The new iPod having an A8 processor I bet is incorrect.  The A9 is still in use (& sold) in the IPhone 6s.

It would be stupid to make the A8 just for this...

We can assume the A9 will have iOS support for some time.... the A8, not so much.

Edit: the iPhone 6s & SE both use the A9.  The biggest difference between the 6 and 6s is 2x the ram (1GB vs. 2 GB)
    The article is saying the current iPod Touch has an A8. It's not predicting what a new one would have. 
    cgWerksnetmagedoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 57

Speaking for myself, I really wish they had kept the clip-on iPod shuffle. No iPod was better for runners and it’s absurd anyone at Apple could think an Apple Watch is a realistic replacement for a $50 iPod.
    I personally loved the little square nano we had for while for exercising. I wanted a screen to see what l could choose. 
    edited January 2019 SpamSandwichsteveau
  • Reply 10 of 57
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    An iPod touch still has relevance today.  There are plenty of reasons - and people - that want an iPhone sans the phone part.  For kids, homes, cars, etc... 

My nephews still use their iPod Touches constantly.  It's relevant.

While I like the durability of the Lightning connector, it was an interim technology and now that USBc is here, well... we either move on or stay still.
    cgWerksnetmagemacseekerracoleman29mike1
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Who cares, I would like better optical zoom and night vision ability for the camera...    
  • Reply 12 of 57
    My iPod Classic 120 GB is now 10 years old and still used every day. Recently I had to put in a new battery (from eBay) but the iPod is getting old and won’t last forever. I have no need for a phone but an iPod touch, if it is available with 128 GB would be an excellent replacement.
    netmage80s_Apple_GuySpamSandwichike17055
  • Reply 13 of 57
    aross99 said:
    iPod touch makes a great "gateway" into the Apple ecosystem for children who are too young to have an iPhone. A $200 apple device with monthly payment is the ideal Christmas/Birthday gift for kids.  It allows them get hooked on the app store, and start building their music library.  iTunes cards are a given at every gift opportunity.  When they are ready, they can transition into  a "hand me down" iPhone from Mom and Dad, and away they go...

Give someone a hand me down iPhone and don’t enable the cell service.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 57
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    aross99 said:

That's what we did with my daughter. An old iPhone with no SIM card was perfect for her.

In general I would welcome the switch to USB C. It would be nice to have a universal connector for all smart phones. When the lightning connector came out it was clearly superior to the mini/micro USB connector, USB C has erased most of the advantage. Apple is saying it's the future - they should put their money where their mouth is. Or at least their design. I find it more than a bit ironic that they eliminated the USB A port from their computers but stick with old connectors in their phones.

The main concerns I have with USB C are durability and the presence of a center tongue. The USB C ports in my MacBook Pro don't seem nearly as robust and solid as the lightning connector. Also, I periodically need to clean pocket lint out of the lightning port. I imagine the USB C port would suffer the same issue, but the presence of the tongue in the center would make cleaning it much more difficult. 
    muthuk_vanalingamravnorodom
  • Reply 15 of 57
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Over years Lightening port/connector has been proven very reliable,durable,robust than USC-C. But, sometimes better tech don't win market share war like Sony Beta vs JVC VHS. In 2018, after iPad Pro moved to USB-C, iPhone is next, if not in 2019 than 2020 for sure because Apple would prefer cross products synergy.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 16 of 57
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member

Industry scuttlebutt ...
    Can we really trust industry scuttlebutts?
    I'm not sure how big it is, respectively (to other devices), but there certainly is one. For example, tons of kids play games on iPads, iPhones, etc. but a lot of parents aren't going to get their kids iPhones before a certain age. Or, for music and apps when you don't want/need a phone.

mattinoz said:
    If they build a new iPod Touch they should treat it as a non-cellual iPhone. Allow wifi calling make it a viable option for business or even school kids inside a mesh that extends from their school, for instance. 
    I don't think the cell companies would be too happy with that. Of course there is Skype and such, but I don't think the cell companies would want Apple to make it too easy or feature such a thing.

dedgecko said:
    Until Tim revises it for 2019 to include all the 'value' they put in there... and it starts at $599.

As someone else already noted, the A8 is in the current iPod touch.
    But, just wanted to add that the main problem with the A8 is that it is only has 1 GB of RAM. That's pretty much a no-go.

rogifan_new said:
    Don't you have to have a SIM to get it going, at least?
    Also, then you likely run into the above problem of the hardware being too limited or outdated rather quickly.

MplsP said:
    In general I would welcome the switch to USB C. It would be nice to have a universal connector for all smart phones. When the lightning connector came out it was clearly superior to the mini/micro USB connector, USB C has erased most of the advantage. Apple is saying it's the future - they should put their money where their mouth is. Or at least their design. I find it more than a bit ironic that they eliminated the USB A port from their computers but stick with old connectors in their phones.
    Phil had enough courage to make a fool of himself in front of millions about the whole legacy jack thing... but I'm not sure he has enough courage to make that jump. They only use the future thing to help sell a controversial design change.
    (side note: when someone depends on, 'hey, it's 2019' or 'you don't want be on the wrong side of history, do ya?' or 'it's the future' or such things, it usually means their argument is too weak to stand up... if they even have one in the first place.)

MplsP said:
    The main concerns I have with USB C are durability and the presence of a center tongue. The USB C ports in my MacBook Pro don't seem nearly as robust and solid as the lightning connector. Also, I periodically need to clean pocket lint out of the lightning port. I imagine the USB C port would suffer the same issue, but the presence of the tongue in the center would make cleaning it much more difficult. 
    I guess they are both better than the 30-pin, but the cleaning aspect is worth being considered. The good thing is that as long as I have a 3.5mm jack, I don't have to worry about physical durability when the cable is plugged in (and it's in my pocket). It doesn't have to be terribly durable when it's just charging on my night-stand or transferring data to my Mac. The 3.5mm jack is a beast. Lightning/USB-C, not so much.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    applejeff said:
    My iPod Classic 120 GB is now 10 years old and still used every day. Recently I had to put in a new battery (from eBay) but the iPod is getting old and won’t last forever. I have no need for a phone but an iPod touch, if it is available with 128 GB would be an excellent replacement.
    It would be if Apple fixed the Music app to work properly over USB but my current attempts to do something similar (replace iPod Classic with used 128GB iPhone 6 and get WiFi sync to my PC’s iTunes) has resulted in the purchase of another iPod Classic upgraded to SSD. iOS still thinks it’s acceotable to play the tracks from an artist in alphabetical order instead of album date order over USB. 
  • Reply 18 of 57
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Agreed! I still have my ipod nano 6th generation (the square one) and it's doing great service as an on-the-go music and podcast player.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 19 of 57
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sflocal said:
    An iPod touch still has relevance today.  There are plenty of reasons - and people - that want an iPhone sans the phone part.  For kids, homes, cars, etc... 

My nephews still use their iPod Touches constantly.  It's relevant.

While I like the durability of the Lightning connector, it was an interim technology and now that USBc is here, well... we either move on or stay still.
    MplsP said:
    aross99 said:

That's what we did with my daughter. An old iPhone with no SIM card was perfect for her.

The future is wireless. USB-C was too late to the game, and now it’s the intermediary technology between lightning and wireless. Apple would be foolish to switch a mobile device to yet another port that isn’t necessary for the phone, requiring more water-proofing, along with a more delicate connector, and it’s customers to replace 100s of millions of cables and accessories. Those same cables can connect to Qi charging cases, pads, and stands, or customers can use the same cables they use with their MBs and iPads.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 57
    The rumored new iPod Touch with a form factor as the iPhone XR will be great.  Even the form factor of the iPhone XS will be okay.  It'll help standardize on parts.  However Apple needs to have the capacity of either 512 GB or 1 TB as the upper end.  Would be great if they include cellular data capability for it.
    racoleman29