Netflix pushes up Standard & Premium prices in second major hike [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2019
Netflix on Tuesday announced higher prices for its Standard and Premium tiers, potentially putting the loyalty of its viewers to the test. [Corrected Basic pricing info]

One of the more critically popular shows on Netflix, 'Mindhunter.'
One of the more critically popular shows on Netflix, 'Mindhunter.'

The Standard plan has risen from $10.99 to $12.99, while Premium has jumped from $13.99 to $15.99. Standard customers can stream or cache videos to two devices at the same time in HD -- Premium offers 4K resolution, and expands the device limit to four. The Basic tier is up from $7.99 to $8.99 and limits people to a single SD stream.

Netflix last raised its prices in October 2017, hiking Standard up from $9.99 and Premium from $11.99.

The company presumably wants the money to pay off massive debts created by billions in content spending. While shows like "Daredevil," "House of Cards," and "Stranger Things" have helped build subscribers and fend off competition from the likes of Hulu and HBO Now, critics have accused the company of throwing sludge at the wall, hoping a few titles stick. Even viewers have complained that there are so many Netflix Originals that it can be hard to find quality material.

Debts may also explain Netflix's decision to end in-app subscriptions for iPhone and iPad users. Apple normally claims a 30 percent cut from all in-app transactions, regardless of whether it actually hosts content, which can translate to millions of dollars in lost revenue for bigger online services.

Apple is poised to introduce its own video streaming service sometime this year, with over $1 billion invested in original programming. Initially the company may make first-party shows free to watch on its hardware, counting on subscriptions to outside services to make money.

In the long term, though, Apple is allegedly pursuing "tentpole" shows that could prop up a paid-only plan. That may be a challenge if it doesn't abandon family-friendly content rules -- one of the appeals of services like Netflix or HBO Now is the ability to watch uncensored content.

Where to buy

Netflix is currently offering new users a free 1-month trial of the streaming service. Meanwhile, Hulu, an alternative service, offers streaming plans from $7.99 per month, while Amazon Prime Video has a variety of content included with a Prime membership.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    This is why I like Amazon Prime Video, plus free shipping is part of the service!
    hodaranantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 49
    Almost $200/year is too much for me.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Joe PiervincentiJoe Piervincenti Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    This is why I like Amazon Prime Video, plus free shipping is part of the service!
    Amazon has gone up in price too!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Not as much as Netflix!
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Not as much as Netflix!
    Not sure if that’s the case, Amazon Prime went from $79 to $129 annually, so pretty close
    mike1russwbluefire1stompyStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 49
    Luckily T-Mobile pays my Netflix!  Hopefully they won’t stop lol
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 49
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    As much as I hate to see Netflix prices creeping up more and more often, it's still far less than cable (at least at this point), and has so much content I watch, that I really feel like I get my money's worth even at $15.99.

Hopefully they can start creating more quality content, rather than just making a bunch of crap with a bit of good stuff mixed in.
    redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Not as much as Netflix!
    Not sure if that’s the case, Amazon Prime went from $79 to $129 annually, so pretty close
    If one only uses Prime for the videos, then I see the point, but I actually buy things from Amazon so the free shipping feature pays for itself very quickly.
    tbornotmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 49
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    It doesn't appear to be going up in Canada...yet.
    We're this close || to bailing on Netflix. The Canadian version is sorely lacking and the price increases are coming fast and furious. Sure it may go for their new content, but we aren't interested in their new content. Heck, we're finding less and less of their old content we're interested in either. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 49
    I have three primary complaints with Netflix:

1. There should be a way to turn off video previews.
    2. There should be a way to turn off that annoying and loud sound that plays when opening the app.
    3. Prices keep going up even though I'm not watching more content over time. I generally avoid Netflix original content. Perhaps they should add additional tiers to both exclude and include Netflix original content. I'd choose the tier without it.

I hate Hulu's convoluted interface. I hate Amazon Prime's advertisements at the beginning of streams.

Slowly but steadily, advertising is working its way into on-demand streaming services and prices are creeping up once they get people hooked.

Sometimes, I miss the days of TV antennae and DVD collections - no subscriptions required!
    mac_dogtmaydysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 49
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Not as much as Netflix!
    If one only uses Prime for the videos, then I see the point, but I actually buy things from Amazon so the free shipping feature pays for itself very quickly.
    Except it is a totally different set of programming. It's not a one or the other decision. Personally, I have both. Would I subscribe to Prime Video only? Probably not. But I make use of the shipping and Music features, so Prime is well worth it regardless.
    russwstompy
  • Reply 12 of 49
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    zroger73 said:

2. There should be a way to turn off that annoying and loud sound that plays when opening the app.
    3. Prices keep going up even though I'm not watching more content over time. I generally avoid Netflix original content. Perhaps they should add additional tiers to both exclude and include Netflix original content. I'd choose the tier without it.

I hate Hulu's convoluted interface. I hate Amazon Prime's advertisements at the beginning of streams.

Slowly but steadily, advertising is working its way into on-demand streaming services and prices are creeping up once they get people hooked.

Sometimes, I miss the days of TV antennae and DVD collections - no subscriptions required!
    Build an iTunes library.

I used to buy movie codes for 1-4 bucks. Even got a few free. Then they all got upgraded to 4K Dolby Vision for free.

Movie codes have skyrocketed since the free 4K thing. Still, most movies on the iTunes Store go on sale for $4.99 at least once a year and some bundles like the Home Alone bundle on sale drop individual movies below 4.99.
    leavingthebiggracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 49
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    zroger73 said:

Funny. For me, the primary reason I subscribe to Netflix is the original programming. The recent movie selection is pretty sparse and I can get reruns of old TV shows from other sources.
    russwwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 49
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Yes it has!

The online retailer announced that it will hike the annual fee for a Prime membership in the U.S. by 20% to $119. The change comes as Amazon revealed that it now has more than 100 million people globally who are members of the program. In January, Amazon raised the price of monthly memberships from $10.99 to $12.99 per month. The price change will go into effect starting May 11 for new members and starting June 16 for existing members when they renew.

Looks like 20% for Prime and Monthly memberships...

• Reply 15 of 49
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Not as much as Netflix!
    I agree with the Free shipping paying for itself, but that isn't why the price went up we all know that. Personally I would love to pay for PRIME for just orders and shipping. They can keep all the PRIME Add-ons..Music, Video..etc..
  • Reply 16 of 49
    DAalseth said:
    You just haven't received your notice... yet. I did, yesterday. Premium jumps from CAD$13.99 to CAD$16.99.

That's right on the cusp for me. Already slightly more than I'd like, but maybe not enough to make me cancel. I'm still waffling. One more price increase and it's gone for sure though.
    SpamSandwichmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 49
    zroger73 said:

YES!!! Those are both SO annoying! Who the hell is driving interface design at Netflix? Is the person behind this clueless or a sadist?
    zroger73StrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingammbenz1962
  • Reply 18 of 49
    DAalseth said:
    You just haven't received your notice... yet. I did, yesterday. Premium jumps from CAD$13.99 to CAD$16.99.

That's right on the cusp for me. Already slightly more than I'd like, but maybe not enough to make me cancel. I'm still waffling. One more price increase and it's gone for sure though.
    I was just going to write the same thing.

I use the service a lot, but at some point I don't know how much I want to keep doing so if the price keeps rising.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    If Netflix is going to raise prices, the least they can do is get rid of that annoying sound when you first start Neftlix. 
    russwzroger73
  • Reply 20 of 49
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:

Welp, that's it then. When I get home I'm going to talk with SWMBO and then drop it. 
    edited January 2019