Netflix pushes up Standard & Premium prices in second major hike [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    MhobMhob Posts: 3member
    Every time I am interested in watching a particular movie I check Netflix only to get the "Explore titles related to" screen. Increased price and still no selection? Goodbye Netflix....Xfinity is almost there too!

dysamoria
  • Reply 22 of 49
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    With all the programming on Amazon Prime and Netflix, I still need to make a separate purchase to watch the final season of Game of Thrones.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    It's not a deal-breaker, but that's a big increase (20% on top of the last increase) to happen so fast.  I don't watch a ton of Netflix...some, but not a ton.  At some point it's not going to be worth it.  I have Prime, too.  
    dysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 49
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    DAalseth said:
    It doesn't appear to be going up in Canada...yet. 
    You just haven't received your notice... yet. I did, yesterday. Premium jumps from CAD$13.99 to CAD$16.99.

That's right on the cusp for me. Already slightly more than I'd like, but maybe not enough to make me cancel. I'm still waffling. One more price increase and it's gone for sure though.
    Not just premium.  The basic package (one stream, no HD) went up $1, the middle standard tier (2 devices, HD) went up $3 to $13.99.  So pretty much a 30% rise, on top of about a 10% rise the previous year, and I think an 11 or 12% increase the year before that (might be two years).  From when I subscribed until now, the standard tier has risen 75%.  And yes, this is for the sub-par content on the Canadian service vs. the US.

The issue is that this won't be the last major increase either.  I have read that at the pace of expenses for Netflix, as they slow down on subscriber growth, the prices will need to go above $20/month just to break even.  There just isn't enough compelling content on Netflix to pay that every month.  We may move to a purchase of 50% of the year, cancel, and then renew the next year for half year, etc (no doubt they will get just like the cable companies and charge a "disconnect and connect" service charge...).

The kids watch more on YouTube (the user generated, ad supported stuff) than Netflix nowadays.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    I dropped Netflix earlier this year. Far too easy to watch TV shows and movies via other avenues online these days. I'm also going to drop Amazon Prime this year. I don't use it enough to justify the price. Also, I will sign up for a trial period for free, get everything shipped for free, and then drop it. It's the only time of the year I need it anyway. 
    edited January 2019 focher
  • Reply 26 of 49
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    The problem with Netflix is they are becoming like cable companies in that i pay for content i will never watch.
    zroger73StrangeDaysdysamoria
  • Reply 27 of 49
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    And .... cancelled.
    zroger73
  • Reply 28 of 49
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    From what I understand, Netflix has a tremendous amount of the debt. The way they their accounting is, they don't fully reflect that debt until the show they are producing or licensing actually becomes available to stream on their platform.

Huge debt. Huge pressure to feature shows and movies featuring A list celebrities. Yeah they need to raise their prices a lot from their humble beginnings as a company that licensed and mailed you DVD's.

But they can -- think how much people used to pay for cable TV. Look for Netflix ultimately to charge (I'm guessing) $60 to $75 a month.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    This is why I like Amazon Prime Video, plus free shipping is part of the service!
    First, it's gone up. Second, most of their stuff is rental fees even with Prime. Nothing is more annoying than finding out the show you want to watch is 1.99 an episode. Or more. 
    gatorguydysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 49
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    Amazon Prime is worse, but I wish they'd both get rid of the 'digging through the bargain bins' UI. Finding things you'd actually like to watch is a lot like the experience of digging through bins of discount DVDs at War Mart. There may be some real gems in there, but you have to dig through a random pile of hundreds of titles of  d-list junk just to find the handful you'd like to see. 

The only reason to push all that stuff up to the top of the pile is to create an illusion of a larger size of selection. For me, it does the opposite. It creates a perception that there's not much quality content available at all, and when I suddenly find some buried higher quality selections, I'm amazed that they're even there.
    edited January 2019 StrangeDaysdysamoriamrboba1
  • Reply 31 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    AppleZulu said:
    Amazon Prime is worse, but I wish they'd both get rid of the 'digging through the bargain bins' UI. Finding things you'd actually like to watch is a lot like the experience of digging through bins of discount DVDs at War Mart. There may be some real gems in there, but you have to dig through a random pile of hundreds of titles of  d-list junk just to find the handful you'd like to see. 

The only reason to push all that stuff up to the top of the pile is to create an illusion of a larger size of selection. For me, it does the opposite. It creates a perception that there's not much quality content available at all, and when I suddenly find some buried higher quality selections, I'm amazed that they're even there.
    From what I've read, that's by design. They want customers to feel like they've discovered something, and along the way, they actually may end up sampling things they wouldn't have otherwise -- like most of Netflix' original programming.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    mac_128 said:
    AppleZulu said:

From what I've read, that's by design. They want customers to feel like they've discovered something, and along the way, they actually may end up sampling things they wouldn't have otherwise -- like most of Netflix' original programming.

"Netflix Original"

Like The Great British Bake Off?

That's another thing that has ruffled my feathers with them recently - anything that they get exclusively is all of a sudden a "Netflix Original".
    I have been watching the current seasons for free on PBS, but now all of a sudden the first 6 seasons are "original" Netflix pieces?!?
    deminsdStrangeDaysdysamoria
  • Reply 33 of 49
    DAalseth said:
    It doesn't appear to be going up in Canada...yet.
    We're this close || to bailing on Netflix. The Canadian version is sorely lacking and the price increases are coming fast and furious. Sure it may go for their new content, but we aren't interested in their new content. Heck, we're finding less and less of their old content we're interested in either. 
    My pricing just went to $13.99 from 10.99 - a 27+% increase, with not a tangible thing offered in return...
    Between such an imposition and the utterly egregious data mining is it getting easier to sympathize with 'alternative means'...?
    Like a cancer that consumes its host, will thus endeth the gold rush...?
    edited January 2019 dysamoria
  • Reply 34 of 49
    sandor said:
    "Netflix Original"

Like The Great British Bake Off?

That's another thing that has ruffled my feathers with them recently - anything that they get exclusively is all of a sudden a "Netflix Original".
    I have been watching the current seasons for free on PBS, but now all of a sudden the first 6 seasons are "original" Netflix pieces?!?
    Huh...I never noticed that, but you're right...they label it "Netflix Original" which is crap.  It's a BritishTV series that has nothing to do with Netflix.  That really makes one wonder what "Netflix Original" really means.  It should be called "Netflix Exclusive".  Big difference.
    edited January 2019 StrangeDaysdysamoria
  • Reply 35 of 49
    zroger73 said:
    I have three primary complaints with Netflix:

1. There should be a way to turn off video previews.
    2. There should be a way to turn off that annoying and loud sound that plays when opening the app.
    YES!!! Those are both SO annoying! Who the hell is driving interface design at Netflix? Is the person behind this clueless or a sadist?
    Or this - why does it make me pick which profile to use, when I only have one profile!
    dysamoria
  • Reply 36 of 49
    512ke said:
    From what I understand, Netflix has a tremendous amount of the debt. The way they their accounting is, they don't fully reflect that debt until the show they are producing or licensing actually becomes available to stream on their platform.

Huge debt. Huge pressure to feature shows and movies featuring A list celebrities. Yeah they need to raise their prices a lot from their humble beginnings as a company that licensed and mailed you DVD's.

But they can -- think how much people used to pay for cable TV. Look for Netflix ultimately to charge (I'm guessing) $60 to $75 a month.
    Yeah no. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 37 of 49
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    It’s the fight for dollars before the collapse. Yes, Netflix will probably be a survivor of the inevitable consolidation in this relative young medium. I’m less interested in all the original Netflix junk (yes, they have a few hits I’d like to see more of the investment going into to prolong those series), but I miss the original aspect of seeing movies. Today, it is virtually impossible to find new recent cinematic released movies, and the selection of them has steadily decreased from 2011 when I joined. The latest price hike will have me exploring Hulu (never used it) for a comp period because I don’t see > $10/mon worth it to continue with Standard Netflix or any other streaming service. That may be because I’m still a Comcast subscriber and their on-demand continues to improve with what Netflix is ignoring...cinematic movies!
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 38 of 49
    tbornottbornot Posts: 116member
    Your local library loans DVDs for free.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 39 of 49
    I have Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I originally got Prime for the included shipping, (I refuse to call anything “free” that I am paying for, it is included) but I have come to use their video service a lot now that they have an Apple TV app. With all three of these services the bill is creeping into cable TV rates, but it was never the total cost of cable that bothered me, it was the fact I paid so much for so little value and a terrible user experience. With streaming services I can watch what I want, when I want, and the selection is much more tailored to what I like. I tried the Direct TV service on Apple TV recently and it while it worked fine, I could never go back to watching shows on channels with specific start times for shows. It’s crazy and unnecessary in an age of streaming. The only shows that should have scheduled start times should be live events.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 40 of 49
    tbornot said:
    Your local library loans DVDs for free.
    You’re paying for those through taxes.
    dysamoria