BORING COLORS!
  • Reply 24 of 40
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    BORING COLORS!
    Is that you Elon?
  • Reply 25 of 40
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    GG1 said:
    Make the phones 2mm thicker (with larger battery, of course), and these products are not needed.

Better yet, go back to the iPhone 5 design (or latest iPad Pro).

Nah. I get great all-day battery life on my X, I don’t want a thicker phone. Even if they did people would still complain for more. Get the battery case if you can’t make it thru the day for some reason.
    Yeah - decided to upgrade my 6s for a Xs so I could have a better camera for a vacation and I'm amazed at how much better the battery life is with basically the same usage pattern. 

Holy crap, though - Mophie's may be within $10, but at $120 think they're both too expensive. I clearly don't need one, though.

mac_128 said:
    tht said:
    Madtiger said:
    mike1 said:
    Any particular reason the XS case isn't compatible with the X?
    Probably because camera bump is slightly different.  And with tight tolerances of the camera hole on the case, X will not fit.
    The camera bump on the X is smaller than the one on XS, so it should fit unless the camera bump locations are different, but I don’t think so. It’ll fit. Whether it will work is different question.

This new battery case uses the Lightning port right? (Ie, it doesn’t feed power to the phone through the induction charger?)
    It appears to use the Lightning port to charge the phone.  It case will not charge via Qi if connected to USB charger, and will instead use the Lightning port. It definitely excludes the iPhone 8 and X.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205443

Finally there's a way to charge and listen via Lightning headphones. It would be great if the case were magnetic so as to attach a Qi charger to the back, but I guess duct tape or Velcro works too ...
    Using wireless charging for a battery case would be pointless - you're getting an extra battery case to extend the battery life of the phone, using wireless charging would simply waste 20-30% of the extra power you brought along as well as add extra thickness to the case. After you have the case 'plugged in' to your phone, having another lightning port to charge both it and your phone (or use the headphones) makes far more sense.
    2stepbayradarthekat
  • Reply 26 of 40
    lenn said:
    Yet another overpriced accessory from Apple. I hate to even think how big Apple's margin is for these things.....

Ah, good ol' Lenn. The new troll on the block.
    fastasleepelijahg
  • Reply 27 of 40
    MplsP said:
    After you have the case 'plugged in' to your phone, having another lightning port to charge both it and your phone (or use the headphones) makes far more sense.
    Adding another attachment to the dongle pile makes much more Apple-sense.  ;)
  • Reply 28 of 40
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    2stepbay said:
    MplsP said:
    After you have the case 'plugged in' to your phone, having another lightning port to charge both it and your phone (or use the headphones) makes far more sense.
    Adding another attachment to the dongle pile makes much more Apple-sense.  ;)

• Reply 29 of 40
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    Why nothing for the plus phones? Do they just assume us Plus users don’t need or want extra battery life? I have an 8+, and I had to buy a new car charger because my cars built in iPod integration couldn’t keep up with the battery. 
  • Reply 30 of 40
    lenn said:
    Yet another overpriced accessory from Apple. I hate to even think how big Apple's margin is for these things.....
    Mophie is only $10 difference. So are they overpriced too? Is everybody overpriced because it’s more than we’d like?
    Of course!  If it's not what I want, then it's useless, a waste of Apple's time and development effort, and overpriced to boot!  Other people's needs and desires don't matter!  If Apple doesn't produce the products I want at the prices I am willing to pay, then they're trash!  And DOOOOOOOOOOMED!

/S
    shark5150
  • Reply 31 of 40
    No one is saying how ugly they are. Where is the Apple design language with these things?
  • Reply 32 of 40
    No one is saying how ugly they are. Where is the Apple design language with these things?
    Show me one battery case that looks good.  Actually this case has Apple written all over it.  Smooth round edges to match Apple’s other cases (leather/silicone) with felt lining...again like Apple leather/silicone cases.   Basically, it is Apple silicone case + battery hump in the back (a MUST for a battery case! LOL).  And the icing on the cake is that the bottom lip of the phone is covered, providing more protection than Apple’s other cases.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    NY1822 said:
    Where does it say that this doesn't fit the X? Normal X cases fit the XS, so unless they stated this battery case is different it should fit.
    Apple's site does not show it as compatible.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Madtiger said:
    mike1 said:
    Any particular reason the XS case isn't compatible with the X?
    Probably because camera bump is slightly different.  And with tight tolerances of the camera hole on the case, X will not fit.
    Ahh. Makes sense.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Yes. I will start carrying briefcase with large battery. Perhaps designs should consider size of pockets and the fact that this is not mpojo that a person needs to hold in hands. Many do, but then that is exactly how rudely they behave to other people when walking on streets and not paying attention to others. Some carry two mobile phone, but not neccessarily in hand always watching and not paying attention to environment. Pocket is where it goes. It is a phone in the first place.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Well ain't this a slap in the face the batteries are actually SMALLER than the previous version of the smart battery case. More expensive and less capacity:

Apple launched battery cases for the latest iPhones yesterday, and they have lower battery capacities than previous generations. As spotted by Wirecutter’s Nick Guy, Apple’s Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone XS and XS Max only have a 1,369mAh internal battery, which is the smallest in any of Apple’s battery cases to date.
    The iPhone 7 battery case housed a 2,365mAh battery, while the iPhone 6 case contained a 1,877mAh battery. We still don’t know the battery capacity of the iPhone XR case, but it’s likely to be the same 1,369mAh.
    As for the phones, the iPhone XS Max has a 3,174mAh battery, so the case is around 43 percent of that. The standard XS is 2,658mAh, so the battery case adds a little over 50 percent. And the iPhone XR has a battery capacity of 2,942mAh, so the case’s capacity is roughly 46 percent of that.
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/1/16/18185283/apple-iphone-battery-case-size

• Reply 37 of 40
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    A slight improvement in the hump’s positioning and width has made a huge difference in the estetics. Looks much better than the previouse Igore battery case.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    mazda 3s said:
    Well ain't this a slap in the face the batteries are actually SMALLER than the previous version of the smart battery case. More expensive and less capacity:

Apple launched battery cases for the latest iPhones yesterday, and they have lower battery capacities than previous generations. As spotted by Wirecutter’s Nick Guy, Apple’s Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone XS and XS Max only have a 1,369mAh internal battery, which is the smallest in any of Apple’s battery cases to date.
    The iPhone 7 battery case housed a 2,365mAh battery, while the iPhone 6 case contained a 1,877mAh battery. We still don’t know the battery capacity of the iPhone XR case, but it’s likely to be the same 1,369mAh.
    As for the phones, the iPhone XS Max has a 3,174mAh battery, so the case is around 43 percent of that. The standard XS is 2,658mAh, so the battery case adds a little over 50 percent. And the iPhone XR has a battery capacity of 2,942mAh, so the case’s capacity is roughly 46 percent of that.
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/1/16/18185283/apple-iphone-battery-case-size

No, you are incorrect as well as the Verge article if they haven’t corrected themselves yet. The new battery cases have larger capacities than the ones for the 6 and 7.

All your quotes are demonstrating is the typical incompetence from tech journalists who don’t even know the basic fundamentals of technology.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    mike1 said:
    NY1822 said:
    Where does it say that this doesn't fit the X? Normal X cases fit the XS, so unless they stated this battery case is different it should fit.
    Apple's site does not show it as compatible.
    It fits. Looks like it works somewhat with iOS 12.1.3 (beta?). Apple may support it “functionally” for the X, but they will never say it works or is compatible as the case speak and mic holes are not aligned properly for the X.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I'd get one of these in a heartbeat if Apple made one for the SE. I like that this battery case adds less height to the phone than most if not every other battery case. 

That I can carry the SE comfortably in my front jeans pocket is the reason I haven't upgraded to a newer phone. The case wouldn't change that. I had a Mophie case on my 5S and it was a little tight.