iPhone X beats out Galaxy S10+ CPU in alleged benchmark testing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Supposed Geekbench data for Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S10+ would put the phone's performance behind its direct competitor, the iPhone XS Max, and even 2017's iPhone X.

Samsung Galaxy Unpacked teaser

With a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor and 6 gigabytes of RAM, the S10+ has a single-core score of 3,413, and a multi-core score of 10,256, according to an image posted on Slashleaks on Wednesday. In AppleInsider testing, Apple's iPhone XS Max -- equipped with an Apple A12 processor -- achieved scores of 4,816 and 11,584, respectively.

Samsung Galaxy S10+ benchmark

The iPhone X managed 4,243 single-core and 10,433 in multiple core testing, using the A11 processor from 2017. The Snapdragon 855, announced in December 2018, is Qualcomm's latest and most powerful processor.

The authenticity of the new benchmark hasn't been verified, and Geekbench rankings aren't necessarily a gauge of real-world handling.

The A12 has the advantage of being a processor built with a 7nm process, and Apple controls the entire stack, allowing for a high level of optimization. Though most often used in Android devices, Qualcomm's chips are general-purpose, making them flexible but potentially less efficient.

Samsung is expected to reveal the Galaxy S10 and S10+ at a Feb. 20 press event. Greater anticipation has been mounting around the possibility of it showing its first commercial foldable smartphone, which could be called the "Fold," the "Galaxy Fold," or the "Galaxy F."

So far Apple isn't believed to be working on a foldable iPhone or iPad, at least beyond the experimental phase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    EnderWiEnderWi Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Just check the Anandtech review... https://www.anandtech.com/show/13786/snapdragon-855-performance-preview I especially like the "real world" performance, f.e. webView, where the newest and greatest Snapdragon is only 15 percent slower than - iPhone 7 :D X / XR / XS are twice as fast here...
    stanthemannetmageradarthekathodarolscornchipmagman1979dws-2chiaracerhomie3
  • Reply 2 of 31
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    It will be interesting to see if Apple can keep up the pace of impressive faster processors each generation or if it will start to flatten, especially since the die shrink process is close to hitting its limit. Apple should agressively take advantage of this performance lead - encourage developers to push the envelope, giving them a compelling differentiator vs Android.
    edited January 2019 dws-2watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Heck Samsung can't even make refrigerator doors that are attached firmly! /Ok personal gripe ;)
    olscornchipmagman1979watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Fatman said:
    It will be interesting to see if Apple can keep up the pace of impressive faster processors each generation or if it will start to flatten, especially since the die shrink process is close to hitting its limit. Apple should agressively take advantage of this performance lead - encourage developers to push the envelope, giving them a compelling differentiator vs Android.
    You'll have to define pace in your argot? If you're referring to "consistent and continuous speed" and not referring to outpacing the competition or a relative increase measured by a percentage over the previous year then that hasn't been the case for a very long time.

Regardless of how the CPU market grows I think the odds are that Apple's position in the market means they'll be able to continue to outpace the competition with device-specific chips that are more efficient in both energy use and development costs than everyone else… and we haven't even gotten to ARM-based CPUs in the Mac line.
    edited January 2019 radarthekathodarolscornchipmagman1979watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 31
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Interesting that the A chip looses on GPU speed, which was has always been touted as one of apples A chip strength.
    3DMark's Slingshot Extreme graphics benchmark :

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Reference DeviceSnapdragon 855
    iPhone XS
    A12 Bionic
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/snapdragon-855-benchmarks,news-29129.html

This is important for AR where rending 3D stereo (2 separate images) at 60+ FPS is important. 
    edited January 2019 stanthemannetmagehodarolsctt_zhbrianm
  • Reply 6 of 31
    I’d love to know who is buying a phone based on a geekbench CPU score. Considering what most people use their phones for who cares about benchmarks like this other than fanboys?
    ctt_zhcornchipmuthuk_vanalingamjcs2305
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Why do I care about processor speed benchmark? How about Apple allows to customize storage size? No? Well that is on Samsungs so I can start cheap and then engage bigger and cheaper storage memory when technology improves. Seriously it is a mobile phone that takes also pictures and some videos - feature conveneint to real estate agent for work as well. The rest is not productivity work, but fun and even that is lame fun because of practicality (screen too small or too big and clumsy, too much information on one screen that is managable by only few hand skilled people, too many gestures and confusions what user needs - lack of simplicity in interactions, forced behaviors by manufacturer - missing a lot in customizations to persons needs, durability issues, cost for innovation).
  • Reply 8 of 31
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Fatman said:
    One could easily be led to believe that. I expected a 15% improvement, year to year; but instead we are seeing a vast improvement that far exceeds what the rest of the technology world is offering in generational improvement numbers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 31
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Can someone fucking explain to me how "iPhones are underpowered compard to Android" is still an extreme common meme I see on the internet, especially in comments? I mean, I understand that Apple haters are mostly delusional, but there must be SOMETHING they think they're referring to, considering the facts are the complete opposite and the iPhone wipes the floor with pretty much everything out there and has been doing so for years.
    edited January 2019 StrangeDaysracerhomie3p-dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 31
    I’d love to know who is buying a phone based on a geekbench CPU score. Considering what most people use their phones for who cares about benchmarks like this other than fanboys?
    Almost nobody. And the people that do care about benchmarks will just find a different reason to go with their non-iPhone of choice. 

That being said, what are the legitimate reasons most people choose one phone over another? I have no idea. Other than on forums like this I never hear “normals” talking about the camera, the speed, the display, the weight, the thickness, etc.

Occasionally I’ll hear someone complain about battery life or iCloud storage but I have never heard them bring those issues up about making a purchase. 

Side note: I do tend to get a chuckle out of the Apple haters who downplay benchmarks where Apple is ahead. 10 years ago those same types of people were all about benchmarks. Similar to how before iPhones had wireless charging it was a glaring omission but now that iPhones include it it’s no big deal because wireless charging is inefficient, slow and not ubiquitous  so carrying a power brick and cable makes so much more sense. 
    cintosracerhomie3p-dogwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    You say this every time: "I thought benchmarks don't matter!" And every time we tell you the same thing -- specs alone don't matter, but when you have both the better user experience and better benchmarks, it's noteworthy. Gruber's article on this:

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

iPhone users get the best in both regards: they get the iOS experience and Apple-designed hardware, and they get the vastly superior CPU and GPU. And Android users who want industry-leading performance are shit out of luck. This is unprecedented in computing history. [...]

The specs aren’t what matters — the effects are what matters. But the specs are what we can measure, and the faster the chips are, the better the effects are in the user experience.

...I'll just save this in Notes for the next time. 
    cornchipcintosRayz2016racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    slurpy said:
    Can someone fucking explain to me how "iPhones are underpowered compard to Android" is still an extreme common meme I see on the internet, especially in comments? I mean, I understand that Apple haters are mostly delusional, but there must be SOMETHING they think they're referring to, considering the facts are the complete opposite and the iPhone wipes the floor with pretty much everything out there and has been doing so for years.
    Along those lines I hear Android users say that Android and Samsung Pay work in places that Apple Pay doesn't and yet I've seen no evidence of any payment processors artificially blocking NFC-based payments from an Apple device. To the best of my knowledge these people actually believe it when I've asked if the establishment accepts Apple Pay.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 31

Android users LOVED Geekbench. Until Apple started clobbering them with superior processors. Now GeekBench is suddenly irrelevant.

Same with AnandTech. Fantastic hardware site with really in-depth articles on computer technology. Then they did their deep dive on the A7 and proclaimed it was so far ahead of the game that Samsung/Qualcomm weren't even playing in the same league.

Since then AnandTech is known as an "Apple shill" for doing nothing more than telling the truth about Apple processors.

Funny how that works. Perhaps someone should invent a benchmark where Qualcomm and Samsung come out ahead of Apple. It would be the most popular benchmark in the world. Oh wait, they already have one. It's called "App Races" where you open and close Apps one after the other to test performance.
    Solimagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    peteo said:
    Interesting that the A chip looses on GPU speed, which was has always been touted as one of apples A chip strength.
    3DMark's Slingshot Extreme graphics benchmark :

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Reference DeviceSnapdragon 855
    iPhone XS
    A12 Bionic
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/snapdragon-855-benchmarks,news-29129.html

This is important for AR where rending 3D stereo (2 separate images) at 60+ FPS is important. 
    Is it losing on GPU speed or GPU performance because I've seen articles about how it can play Fortnite at 60 FPS. Just like the CPU, I assume Apple clocks their processors to idealize them for both performance and power efficiency, whereas others only care about some asshat's spec spunk and even artificially ramping up clock speeds when a benchmarks tests are detected.
    racerhomie3tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Soli said:
    Along those lines I hear Android users say that Android and Samsung Pay work in places that Apple Pay doesn't and yet I've seen no evidence of any payment processors artificially blocking NFC-based payments from an Apple device. 
    Samsung pay works with 99.9999% of places that accept credit cards, whether it's a small bookstore, flowershop, gas station, food truck, barber, etc... Samsung Pay reads off the magnetic strip. So yes, those Android users are absolutely correct.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    slurpy said:
    What I hear nowadays mostly is how awesome it is to be able to tweak & customize your phone. fiddling around with settings & changing colors & shit. Stuff I simply don't have time for. From what I can tell there are two types of android users. 1) The morons that don't care and use their phones for crappy pix here & there, texting, facebook & the odd phone call, Maybe memes. And it's cheep as crap. Also this is the VAST majority of Android user as far as I can tell. 2) The tech-obsessed geekbro(ette) who builds their own PCs, is balls-deep in Google apps, and doesn't give a rip that they've signed away their rights for Goog to use any of their data as they see fit but hey, it's free. They have good jobs, but no actual hobbies other than dweebing out on the latest technobobble and making sure their lawns don't have any weeds. 

Everyone else uses iPhone. That's my take anyway. 
    GG1tmayMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Dudoji87 said:
    Soli said:
    Along those lines I hear Android users say that Android and Samsung Pay work in places that Apple Pay doesn't and yet I've seen no evidence of any payment processors artificially blocking NFC-based payments from an Apple device. 
    Samsung pay works with 99.9999% of places that accept credit cards, whether it's a small bookstore, flowershop, gas station, food truck, barber, etc... Samsung Pay reads off the magnetic strip. So yes, those Android users are absolutely correct.
    That's MST, not NFC. It's a very different technology and is less secure despite what Samsung would have you believe. But you're technically correct since Samsung uses the same term to refer to their LoopPay-based acquisition as their NFC-based Apple copy and they surely don't know the difference and clearly don't care about personal security if they're using a Samsung device.

You are aware that when payment processors say no swipe cards allowed—only chip cards and wireless transactions—that is extends to MST, right? Being wireless to the magnetic reader doesn't make it NFC. LoopPay is a dead end in every conceivable way.
    edited January 2019 Rayz2016tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    slurpy said:
    For years? No

Apple has lagged in areas many people actually consider to be key areas:

Camera
    Battery
    Storage
    Modem
    WiFi

Not to mention other areas which largely boil down to taste or preference like design or OS.

Then throw in the biggest factor of all: choice. If you want a 7.2 inch screen, you won't get one from Apple.

They have been playing catch-up but are still lagging.

If your argument boils down to CPU speed you really don't have a great argument. Can you remember the last time someone actually mentioned speed as a true factor for upgrading? Speed is an evolutionary factor. It pretty much comes - as part - of the upgrade.

Just look at all the people within the iPhone world who are perfectly happy with their - old - phones. 

When they upgrade, other factors are the true deciding factors.
    muthuk_vanalingamnikon133
  • Reply 19 of 31
    avon b7 said:
    Then throw in the biggest factor of all: choice. If you want a 7.2 inch screen, you won't get one from Apple.
    That's the key issue? That there isn't stupid sizes for cellphones? On that note, Apple is also a piece of shit for not making a 21" laptop.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    That's the key issue? That there isn't stupid sizes for cellphones? On that note, Apple is also a piece of shit for not making a 21" laptop.

Definitely. The permutations are so vast and varied (screen size is simply one example) that you are very likely to get close to your specific 'wants'.

Set your priorities and you will most likely find a phone that satisfies them.

The complete opposite to iPhone.

edited January 2019 muthuk_vanalingam