Tim Cook highlights story of Apple Watch owner whose device detected A-Fib

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple CEO Tim Cook shared a tweet on Tuesday highlighting yet another Apple Watch Series 4 success story, with the device reportedly detecting atrial fibrillation in its wearer -- and potentially saving a life -- thanks to new ECG functionality.

Elissa Lombardo reached out to Cook on Twitter to tell him about her husband's experience with Apple Watch.

This week, just two days after receiving the device, Mr. Lombardo was alerted to a previously undetected A-Fib issue presumably that, combined with an elevated heart rate reading of 150 beats per minute, prompted Lombardo to seek emergency medical care.

He rushed to the emergency room where doctors discovered blockages in his arteries. He had two stents implanted, a major surgery that suggests Mr. Lombardo was in dire straits prior to the warning from Apple Watch.

"New Apple Watch saved my husband's life this week! Only two days old and it diagnosed A-Fib and 150bpm. He went to ER which he never did with same symptoms. Found major blockage in arteries as a result. Two stents later, he is as good as new! Telling the world. Thank U!" Elissa Lombardo said.

Glad to hear your husband is feeling better, Elissa. Stories like yours inspire us -- thanks for letting us know! https://t.co/A7eV4tgS4U

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

This isn't the first we've heard of the Apple Watch, or the ECG feature specifically, saving someone's life. Not long after the ECG app launched with the watchOS 5.1.2 update, a user shared an experience similar to Lombardo's on Reddit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Apple watch, for me, is  the best Apple product at this  time... close second iPad pro 3rd gen with pencil !
    stanhopewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    “A fib” in the UK means “a lie”. The heading really confused me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    evilution said:
    Thus the hyphen and the uppercase F.  
    bonobobbeowulfschmidtmike1macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Potentially saving a life, definitely losing a life insurance policy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    mcdave said:
    Potentially saving a life, definitely losing a life insurance policy.
    No. That's not how life insurance policies work.
    toysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    You never know, in the context of a for profit healthcare system, if your treatment isn't more about a doctor or hospital just trying to make a buck.  It is a business, first and foremost, after all.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/18/unnecessary-surgery-usa-today-investigation/2435009/

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/07/business/hospital-chain-internal-reports-found-dubious-cardiac-work.html
  • Reply 7 of 17

Np, you're not confused.  Since the feature 
    isn't available on UK watches, even though they pay more for the device, A-Fib is a fib.
    steveau
  • Reply 8 of 17
    GulaakGulaak Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    Very inspiring stuff. The heart strings are pulled.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    GulaakGulaak Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    I think I need to pick up an Apple watch soon.
    edited January 2019 stanhopewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    OK experts on this subject why do I get 85% of the results showing 'Inconclusive' only 15% 'Sinus Rhythm'?  It isn't my Watch as my wife using it shows the perfect readout every time I try it on her wrist.  Is it I am a lousy conductor or should I risk being a nuisance and run up a bill at a cardiologist's office? Or is Inconclusive just my norm?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    MacPro said:
    OK experts on this subject why do I get 85% of the results showing 'Inconclusive' only 15% 'Sinus Rhythm'?  It isn't my Watch as my wife using it shows the perfect readout every time I try it on her wrist.  Is it I am a lousy conductor or should I risk being a nuisance and run up a bill at a cardiologist's office? Or is Inconclusive just my norm?
    Is the strap tight enough on your wrist?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mike1 said:
    MacPro said:
    Is the strap tight enough on your wrist?
    Yep thanks, nice and firm and tried various positions. I've tried all the permutations possible and I am careful to keep my finger away from the wrist and even licking my finger for better conduction. I guess shaving my wrist is next.

OK after more tests ...  
    believe this or not ... if I close my eyes and don't look at the readout I get a sinus rhythm, if I look it seems I can alter the results and dramatically!  Holy bio-feedback Batman!
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Still does saving a life out weigh the risk of false positives?

/sarcasm. 

Kudos to  the man for not ignoring symptoms and for Apple providing actual data over gut feelings. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Np, you're not confused.  Since the feature isn't available on UK watches, even though they pay more for the device, A-Fib is a fib.
    No, you are confused. Apple didn't say the UK would have A-Fib detection yet. You spread FUD.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    evilution said:
    And some people want to get rid of punctuation!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Apple watch, for me, is  the best Apple product at this  time... close second iPad pro 3rd gen with pencil !
    Agreed! I'd put iPhone 3rd, Air Pods 4th and MacBook Pro 5th.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    evilution said:
    I’m so sorry that I’m English and my English brain didn’t automatically adjust to a new term from something I have known for 43 years.

watto_cobra