Walmart ditches plans to compete with Apple & others in streaming video arena

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2019
Walmart is reportedly abandoning plans to launch a Netflix-like streaming video service, which could take one more threat out of the equation for Apple's own upcoming launch.

Walmart's Vudu.
Walmart's Vudu.

The decision was made sometime after the collapse of talks with former Epix CEO Mark Greenberg, said CNBC sources. Walmart was allegedly uncomfortable about making necessary content investments, given the bar set by players like Netflix, which may have spent as much as $13 billion in 2018.

Greenberg proposed the idea of a service targeting "Middle America," the sources explained. He's also said to have brought the same concept to retailers such as Costco, without any deals so far -- notably, Costco may be exploring the possibility of a service for people with $120 Executive memberships.

Walmart is instead expected to work on improving Vudu, its movie and TV service geared towards rentals and purchases with a limited amount of ad-supported free content. That could eventually turn into something bigger, as hinted by it developing an original series based on the 1983 comedy "Mr. Mom."

The war for the dollars of online streaming customers is set to become intense in the next two years, joined by services like Disney+ and one from NBCUniversal.

Apple is launching its service sometime this year. The company is spending at least $1 billion on original content -- mostly TV shows, but also some films, much like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Initially the company may make first-party content free to watch on its hardware, counting on subscriptions to outside services to make money.

Beyond that it's thought be seeking "tentpole" shows that could support a paid platform. It remains to be seen however if Apple is willing to accept the sort of uncensored material that attracts people to platforms like Netflix or HBO.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Best strategy is to stick to what you know the best.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    wood1208 said:
    Except when it isn't. That's the same 'advice' everybody 'offered' Apple when it got out they might be developing a cellphone.
    cornchiprandominternetpersongenovellejbdragonpscooter63fastasleepmdriftmeyerneil anderson
  • Reply 3 of 19

Apple is launching its service sometime this year. 
    Based on yesterday's "vaporware" conversation, has Apple actually committed to launching a service in 2019?  Or is that just informed speculation and leaks?  I'm not doubting the intent, just seeking clarification about formal public statements by the big fruit company.
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 19
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    With Disney, NBC and Apple getting into the game, smart move for Walmart to quit before it starts. Walmart's core competency is selling (a lot of) cheap stuff. Apple at least is an expert in selling hardware and related services to help them fund the initiative, and already have a proven model for music. The only streamers that will survive it seems will be those that also provide top quality content, I don't think 'Walmart Studios' could ever be a reality, and my guess is that Vudu will be up for sale soon.
    cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 19
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Yes, Walmart should stick to selling cheap laundry soap. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 6 of 19
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Pity, I was looking forward to Walmart's original content. I'll bet it would have been good stuff at lower prices.

I wonder if Apple's streaming content will be priced like its electronic goods. Luxury high prices, with series and movies costing double the competition. You can't see them without an adapter. If you pay for Season 2, it's even more expensive than Season 1 and only subtly different. Etc.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    hexclock said:
    Yes, Walmart should stick to selling cheap laundry soap. 
    As opposed to expensive and many times overpriced devices?
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 8 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    wood1208 said:
    You mean like when others were telling Apple they have no business making a phone?  That "strategy" worked well for Palm and Nokia.
    jbdragonpscooter63fastasleepAppleExposed
  • Reply 9 of 19
    DVD & music sales have to be slowly drying up.  I wonder what Walmart replaces it with...

I mainly shop at Costco & Amazon.  I suppose Walmart could put in a mini Best Buy, but I haven’t been to a Best Buy in years...

I can just see Walmart being even less competent (that Best Buy) selling tech... that would be amusing.

Walmart selling cheap trash is kind of limiting.

• Reply 10 of 19
    sflocal said:
    wood1208 said:
    You mean like when others were telling Apple they have no business making a phone?  That "strategy" worked well for Palm and Nokia.
    I always figured Palm and Nokia (when Apple announced the iPhone) ran around yelling o-chit o-chit we’re all going to die.

I think Android actually killed off the competition more than Apple.  I’ll give Apple credit for Microsoft phone and Blackberry...
  • Reply 11 of 19
    HighCollideHighCollide Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    Good. 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I don't see the point of all these streaming services. HULU at least tried to combine a number of channels, but now everyone wants their own service at crazy high prices. What Apple is spending on content seems to be a tiny drop in the bucket compared to Netflix in 1 year.

I cut the cord to save money. Not to sign up to everyone else to pay them. I sure as hell don't have time to watch what I have now these days. I have Hundreds of movies I've ripped from my DVD's, HD DVD's and Blue-Rays that are on my NAS and watching with PLEX. I have my large Antenna to get a number of OTA channels, that's free. I get Netflix and have Amazon. 2 services I had before I cut the cord. So I don't consider them some new charge. That's far, far more content then what I could dream of watching as a kid, when there is NO Internet. We only had a Antenna that picked up a few Analog channels. I would go next door and watch their TV, generally MTV, back when it was actually mostly Music Videos!!! Back when it was also only HBO, which I remember had it's own Box.

Now all these company's think a bunch of people will jump on and pay $10+ a month for THEIR service. I all ready pay for Apple Music and I hardly listen to it. I'\m sure as hell not going to pay anything more on top of that. In fact I've been thinking of canceling service. I wish they had a cheaper option. Like limit the hours per month for $5 a month.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 13 of 19
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

Apple is launching its service sometime this year. 
    Based on yesterday's "vaporware" conversation, has Apple actually committed to launching a service in 2019?  Or is that just informed speculation and leaks?  I'm not doubting the intent, just seeking clarification about formal public statements by the big fruit company.
    You're the only person who thinks it's "vaporware", so it's not much of a conversation. Link FTFA:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/07/11/here-are-all-of-the-future-tv-shows-that-apple-has-signed-deals-for
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 14 of 19
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

jbdragon said:
    I don't see the point of all these streaming services. HULU at least tried to combine a number of channels, but now everyone wants their own service at crazy high prices. What Apple is spending on content seems to be a tiny drop in the bucket compared to Netflix in 1 year.

I cut the cord to save money. Not to sign up to everyone else to pay them. I sure as hell don't have time to watch what I have now these days. I have Hundreds of movies I've ripped from my DVD's, HD DVD's and Blue-Rays that are on my NAS and watching with PLEX. I have my large Antenna to get a number of OTA channels, that's free. I get Netflix and have Amazon. 2 services I had before I cut the cord. So I don't consider them some new charge. That's far, far more content then what I could dream of watching as a kid, when there is NO Internet. We only had a Antenna that picked up a few Analog channels. I would go next door and watch their TV, generally MTV, back when it was actually mostly Music Videos!!! Back when it was also only HBO, which I remember had it's own Box.

Now all these company's think a bunch of people will jump on and pay $10+ a month for THEIR service. I all ready pay for Apple Music and I hardly listen to it. I'\m sure as hell not going to pay anything more on top of that. In fact I've been thinking of canceling service. I wish they had a cheaper option. Like limit the hours per month for $5 a month.
    "I don't see the point of all these streaming services." followed by three streaming services you subscribe to, and memories of another service that featured original content on cable way back when you were walking uphill both ways to school in the snow and fending off dinosaurs, that now does streaming. 

¯\(°_o)/¯ 

AppleExposed
  • Reply 15 of 19
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    512ke said:
    Pity, I was looking forward to Walmart's original content. I'll bet it would have been good stuff at lower prices.

I wonder if Apple's streaming content will be priced like its electronic goods. Luxury high prices, with series and movies costing double the competition. You can't see them without an adapter. If you pay for Season 2, it's even more expensive than Season 1 and only subtly different. Etc.
    Except that Apple’s movie rentals and Apple Music are priced competitively with similar services. 
    fastasleepAppleExposed
  • Reply 16 of 19
    daven said:
    512ke said:

Except that Apple’s movie rentals and Apple Music are priced competitively with similar services. 
    Not to mention, "I'll bet it would have been good stuff at lower prices." Really? We've heard nothing about any content Walmart was even looking into. Why assume it was "good stuff" based on nothing?  

Then there's, "You can't see them without an adapter." Dumb, I watch content via Apple devices all the time with no adapter (unless one considers an HDMI cable an adapter, but that's quite a stretch.)

That was a pretty silly post overall.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 19
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    512ke said:

Not sure if dumm or android user.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 19
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    BTW iHaters praised Vudu as the 2nd coming of Christ so it makes me happy to see Wal Mart ditch their efforts!