Apple tapped as contender for J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot studio

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple appears to be one of the companies vying to pick up Bad Robot, the production studio founded by Star Trek, Star Wars, and Lost director J.J. Abrams.

Star Wars on Apple TV

Apple is facing competition from the likes of Disney, Sony, Universal, and Warner Bros., Deadline said this week, citing several sources. Bad Robot is said to be avoiding its own term sheet, instead leaving potential dealmakers to come up with their own quotes.

Currently Bad Robot is under the wing of Paramount, which is reportedly paying an "eight-figure" overhead for the privilege. Abrams isn't under an exclusive directing agreement though, and in fact has spent much of the past five years directing two "Star Wars" films for Disney. Paramount is allegedly upset with this, in part because he could have improved the performance of movies like "Overlord" and "The Cloverfield Paradox," and he even chose to direct "Star Wars: Episode IX" after agreeing to direct a Paramount movie in exchange for a Bad Robot extension.

Disney is rumored to be the leading contender for the studio, in part because Abrams may have a close relationship with CEO Bob Iger, and Disney's upcoming streaming service could allow Bad Robot to pump out as many movies and shows as it wants. It also of course has theme parks, merchandise, and other moneymakers.

The studio does have some connections with Apple, since the two are working on a movie, "Little Voices," and "My Glory Was I Had Such Friends," a TV series with Jennifer Garner. Both of those should premiere on Apple's unnamed streaming service, coming sometime this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    I'm not against Apple producing original content, but I don't think it's going to turn into a major revenue stream for them.  I worry the quest for content is a fool's errand.  For years I've said they should buy Nintendo and I still think that would be the best acquisition they could make.  The lion's share of App Store revenue is video games and IAP associated with video games.  Nintendo is profitable, has numerous well-established and beloved global franchises, and does good work when it comes to hardware and game controllers.  I hope the original content play works out for Apple, but I think getting serious about gaming would be a much smarter move.
    applesnorangesrandominternetpersonboltsfan17n2itivguywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    robbyx said:
    I'm not against Apple producing original content, but I don't think it's going to turn into a major revenue stream for them.  I worry the quest for content is a fool's errand.  For years I've said they should buy Nintendo and I still think that would be the best acquisition they could make.  The lion's share of App Store revenue is video games and IAP associated with video games.  Nintendo is profitable, has numerous well-established and beloved global franchises, and does good work when it comes to hardware and game controllers.  I hope the original content play works out for Apple, but I think getting serious about gaming would be a much smarter move.
    Content generally has a long shelf life - longer than tech, at least. So from that perspective perhaps this could be a good long play for Apple.  Don’t expect much for maybe 5 years, but by then, they’ll still be hauling in money from their tech and they’ll have slowly amassed some decent to great content.
    Prior to Netflix and Amazon producing some big hits, I think a lot of people, including myself, would have said that producing content is out of their (Netflix and a Amazon) wheelhouse and better left to others.  And it is tempting to say that about Apple.  Thing is, there is now a deluge of content out there...and so many draws for our attention that even ‘good’ content (you be the judge) is getting missed.  Unless Apple pulls out some magic and produces a mega hit (or multiple hits) there is a danger that this will fizzle like their social media efforts and other offshoots of the core Apple biz.  Time will tell - I’m not going to expect anything of this for several years, as I noted above.  If they have a chance at success here, I think it’s in the long play.
    randominternetpersonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Disney should buy it. After all, they own everything else. Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel, The Muppets, Winnie the Pooh, you name it. Oh yeah, almost forgot....they just bought 20th Century Fox.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Disney should buy it. After all, they own everything else. Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel, The Muppets, Winnie the Pooh, you name it. Oh yeah, almost forgot....they just bought 20th Century Fox.
    And then Apple could buy Disney. They currently have a market cap of $165 billion. Apple could easily gain a controlling interest.
    designrpscooter63AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    How confusing is it that Disney is buying 20th Century Fox (a studio) from 21st Century Fox (the grandparent corporation; Fox Entertainment is the parent).  Too many foxes, too many centuries.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    How confusing is it that Disney is buying 20th Century Fox (a studio) from 21st Century Fox (the grandparent corporation; Fox Entertainment is the parent).  Too many foxes, too many centuries.
    You can never have too many foxes.
    ravnorodomrandominternetpersonAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I wonder if Disney is buying Fox Sports 1-250? /s
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 8 of 23
    robbyx said:
    The thing with original content, all it takes is a few hit shows. Look at Netflix. There is a ton of crap they produce but they do have hit shows. As far as Nintendo goes, I completely agree. With their huge catalog of titles, imagine what that would do for the neglected (with gaming) Apple TV. The gaming market is booming worldwide. That would be a smart move by Apple to invest in that $140 billion/yearly and growing piece of the pie. 
    robbyxAppleExposed
  • Reply 9 of 23
    robbyx said:
    The thing with original content, all it takes is a few hit shows. Look at Netflix. There is a ton of crap they produce but they do have hit shows. As far as Nintendo goes, I completely agree. With their huge catalog of titles, imagine what that would do for the neglected (with gaming) Apple TV. The gaming market is booming worldwide. That would be a smart move by Apple to invest in that $140 billion/yearly and growing piece of the pie. 
    My concern with content is that Apple is late to the game.  They should never have let Netflix become Netflix.  I'm a big Apple fan and longtime customer (35 years!), but it will take a lot to convince me that I need another streaming service.  Netflix has become a juggernaut.  Yes, Apple has "disrupted" other markets successfully in the past, but there's no guarantee they can do it again.  It seems expensive and risky whereas Nintendo is basically a guaranteed win.  Nintendo has some of the most well recognized gaming franchises in the world.  They have a huge built-in fan base who buys every new console they release.  They are the king of mobile gaming (and I don't mean smartphone games).  It seems like such a no-brainer to me.  Slogging it out in the fickle original content space - trying to build a back catalog of hits, trying to convince the public they need another service - seems highly risky and, frankly, more like a vanity project than anything else.  Gaming prints money.  Why Apple continues to treat it in a very half-assed way makes no sense to me (and never has).
    designrn2itivguywilliamlondonAppleExposed
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I am not a robot 
    I am just managing my mischief 
  • Reply 11 of 23
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    robbyx said:
    robbyx said:
    My concern with content is that Apple is late to the game.  They should never have let Netflix become Netflix.  I'm a big Apple fan and longtime customer (35 years!), but it will take a lot to convince me that I need another streaming service.  Netflix has become a juggernaut.  Yes, Apple has "disrupted" other markets successfully in the past, but there's no guarantee they can do it again.  It seems expensive and risky whereas Nintendo is basically a guaranteed win.  Nintendo has some of the most well recognized gaming franchises in the world.  They have a huge built-in fan base who buys every new console they release.  They are the king of mobile gaming (and I don't mean smartphone games).  It seems like such a no-brainer to me.  Slogging it out in the fickle original content space - trying to build a back catalog of hits, trying to convince the public they need another service - seems highly risky and, frankly, more like a vanity project than anything else.  Gaming prints money.  Why Apple continues to treat it in a very half-assed way makes no sense to me (and never has).
    You don't think they have smart people being paid a lot of money to weigh all of these sorts of things and make well-informed decisions? 
    edited January 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 12 of 23
    robbyx said:
    robbyx said:
    You don't think they have smart people being paid a lot of money to weigh all of these sorts of things and make well-informed decisions? 
    Um, that kind of goes without saying, doesn't it?  Why bother offering opinions on a forum, much less reading a forum in the first place, if that's your answer?  Seems like you're just wasting your time.  Why do you care what people on the Internet think if Apple already has smart people to make well-informed decisions?  Very strange response.

That said, smart people often get it wrong, even Apple.
    edited January 2019 designrwilliamlondonrandominternetperson
  • Reply 13 of 23

designr said:
    robbyx said:
    robbyx said:
    Probably. But there are lots of companies with smart people being paid to make such decisions. It's not just about those aspects. It's also about will, vision, strategy, etc. What's more, people in companies can often be blinded by their current circumstances and past history. There's a reason why so few companies make major successful leaps into new industries or even products in their same industry. There's a certain institutional inertia and blindness that can occur anywhere. I seriously doubt Apple is immune to these kind of things...long term. In fact large and very successful companies can also have hubris that leads to over-confidence about potential success in other industries. I suspect things like gaming, entertainment (movies, TV, media, etc.) are very different from what Apple has been really good at for its entire existence. Those differences shouldn't be taken lightly.
    Well said.  And we know that Apple isn't immune to institutional inertia.  They've done it before.  Anyone remember the 90s?  I think so many Apple fans have become so lazy when it comes to their own opinions about Apple.  They've become incapable of objectively critiquing anything Apple does due to Apple's past decade of success.  Any criticism is automatically dismissed because Apple never makes mistakes and disrupts every industry they touch in these people's minds.  Of course these people's memories are also very short.  It wasn't always that way and it's foolish to assume that just because Apple (or any company) has had a successful run, that that run will go on forever.

I'll also add that I don't think Apple has been very smart at all when it comes to video.  They should - and could - have entered the content arena much sooner, but Eddie Cue is perhaps the least visionary executive they have.  He's been asleep at the wheel while Netflix built a global brand.  Unlike user experience and customer service, original content doesn't give them much room to distinguish themselves.  It's either good or bad and the (often fickle) public will respond accordingly.
    edited January 2019 designr
  • Reply 14 of 23
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Buy a media company? I've been saying for a long time that Apple should buy McLaren to ramp their car portfolio quickly. Last time I checked it the market cap for McLaren was about $2B. Tim Cook tips bigger than $2B for lunch. Hey, McLaren's HQ in UK looks a lot like the new Apple spaceship campus, guess which one came first? I'd settle for Apple buying Dyson, which says it's going to sell EV cars in 2021, with the cars being built in Singapore. I think Dyson is also worth $2B in change. Curiously, most of Dyson's products could also be HomeKit-enabled and sold in Apple Stores (robot vacuum cleaners, fans, humidifiers, lights, etc.) So that's a perfect fit.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 15 of 23
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    robbyx said:

Nintendo!? They’d be much better off buying Sony. Huge content library, music, movies and TV shows, huge gaming presence, a huge move into consumer electronics, plus fairly advanced R&D and manufacturing abilities.

Apple could have a 2nd outlet for their platforms and services. Sony computers with macOS. TV’s with tvOS, mobile phones with iOS, etc.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    designr said:
    robbyx said:
    robbyx said:
    Probably. But there are lots of companies with smart people being paid to make such decisions. It's not just about those aspects. It's also about will, vision, strategy, etc. What's more, people in companies can often be blinded by their current circumstances and past history. There's a reason why so few companies make major successful leaps into new industries or even products in their same industry. There's a certain institutional inertia and blindness that can occur anywhere. I seriously doubt Apple is immune to these kind of things...long term. In fact large and very successful companies can also have hubris that leads to over-confidence about potential success in other industries. I suspect things like gaming, entertainment (movies, TV, media, etc.) are very different from what Apple has been really good at for its entire existence. Those differences shouldn't be taken lightly.
    So in other words,

"PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in."

or

“Payments is a tough ecosystem and you know, other players, other major consumer Internet companies have tried to enter in the space and have found, you know, limited success,” said Bill Ready, CEO of Braintree, the parent company of mobile payment services providers PayPal and Venmo. “And a big part of that is it is a very difficult space.”

etc.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 17 of 23

robbyx said:

designr said:
    robbyx said:
    robbyx said:
    Well said.  And we know that Apple isn't immune to institutional inertia.  They've done it before.  Anyone remember the 90s?  I think so many Apple fans have become so lazy when it comes to their own opinions about Apple.  They've become incapable of objectively critiquing anything Apple does due to Apple's past decade of success.  Any criticism is automatically dismissed because Apple never makes mistakes and disrupts every industry they touch in these people's minds.  Of course these people's memories are also very short.  It wasn't always that way and it's foolish to assume that just because Apple (or any company) has had a successful run, that that run will go on forever.

I'll also add that I don't think Apple has been very smart at all when it comes to video.  They should - and could - have entered the content arena much sooner, but Eddie Cue is perhaps the least visionary executive they have.  He's been asleep at the wheel while Netflix built a global brand.  Unlike user experience and customer service, original content doesn't give them much room to distinguish themselves.  It's either good or bad and the (often fickle) public will respond accordingly.
    *cough* Two decades.

Two decades which have seen monumental growth. The best portable music player. The best phone. The best tablet. The best smart watch. The best mobile silicon. Apple Pay, Apple Music, and other services growing rapidly. Stable Mac sales in a contracting PC market. I'd say that's a pretty good track record. They don't need to completely own the original content field — just do it well in order to bolster their services and ecosystem lock-in.

Sorry, but I'm gonna bet on Apple over the FUD peddlers.
    randominternetpersonAppleExposed
  • Reply 18 of 23
    robbyx said:
    Content generally has a long shelf life - longer than tech, at least. So from that perspective perhaps this could be a good long play for Apple.  Don’t expect much for maybe 5 years, but by then, they’ll still be hauling in money from their tech and they’ll have slowly amassed some decent to great content.
    Prior to Netflix and Amazon producing some big hits, I think a lot of people, including myself, would have said that producing content is out of their (Netflix and a Amazon) wheelhouse and better left to others.  And it is tempting to say that about Apple.  Thing is, there is now a deluge of content out there...and so many draws for our attention that even ‘good’ content (you be the judge) is getting missed.  Unless Apple pulls out some magic and produces a mega hit (or multiple hits) there is a danger that this will fizzle like their social media efforts and other offshoots of the core Apple biz.  Time will tell - I’m not going to expect anything of this for several years, as I noted above.  If they have a chance at success here, I think it’s in the long play.

Agree with most of your post.

The only thing is that I do not believe that there is a danger of this fizzling out like Ping or Connect. Those were just freebees appended to the music service.

Unlike those, Apple is actually investing money into Video content, so they will treat it like a premiere service.

• Reply 19 of 23
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    mjtomlin said:
    robbyx said:

Nintendo!? They’d be much better off buying Sony. Huge content library, music, movies and TV shows, huge gaming presence, a huge move into consumer electronics, plus fairly advanced R&D and manufacturing abilities.

Apple could have a 2nd outlet for their platforms and services. Sony computers with macOS. TV’s with tvOS, mobile phones with iOS, etc.
    Nintendo is the Apple of gaming(with worse CEOs), Sony is the Samsung of gaming(Always peeking over Nintendos shoulder).

Buy a media company? I've been saying for a long time that Apple should buy McLaren to ramp their car portfolio quickly. Last time I checked it the market cap for McLaren was about $2B. Tim Cook tips bigger than $2B for lunch. Hey, McLaren's HQ in UK looks a lot like the new Apple spaceship campus, guess which one came first? I'd settle for Apple buying Dyson, which says it's going to sell EV cars in 2021, with the cars being built in Singapore. I think Dyson is also worth $2B in change. Curiously, most of Dyson's products could also be HomeKit-enabled and sold in Apple Stores (robot vacuum cleaners, fans, humidifiers, lights, etc.) So that's a perfect fit.

Apple should have bought a home appliance company long ago to kickstart Homekit which should be renamed simply  "Home".

robbyx said:

designr said:
    robbyx said:
    robbyx said:
    Well said.  And we know that Apple isn't immune to institutional inertia.  They've done it before.  Anyone remember the 90s?  

Why do FUD peddlers always "remember the 90s"? A time when Apple had different people running the show. I don't think anyone from the 90s even works at Apple anymore.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Nintendo is the Apple of gaming(with worse CEOs), Sony is the Samsung of gaming(Always peeking over Nintendos shoulder).

You sure about that?

Why do FUD peddlers always "remember the 90s"? A time when Apple had different people running the show. I don't think anyone from the 90s even works at Apple anymore.

And you’d be wrong. Eddy Cue has been there since ‘89, Jony Ive has been there since ‘92, Phil Schiller worked there in ‘87, left and came back later when Jobs returned. Several other senior leaders were there since ‘97/98 like Dan Riccio, Tim Cook, Bob Mansfield, etc but assumig you mean prior to Jobs’ return.