Rumor: 2019 iPhone to sport 3x telephoto lens, 4,000mAh battery with 15W wireless charging...

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2020
An unconfirmed rumor shared on Chinese microblogging network Sina Weibo earlier this month claims Apple's next iPhone will boast a few key component upgrades like a 3x telephoto lens and massively upgraded 4,000 mAh battery with 15-watt wireless fast charging.

iPhone XI
Supposed 'iPhone XI' render. | Source: Digit.in

The post from C Technology, better known by Weibo handle "iCTech," lists five features claimed to be in the works for this year's iPhone update including a three-lens camera system with 3x telephoto lens, 4,000mAh battery, 15W wireless charging, reduced TrueDepth camera notch and a 90 to 120Hz screen refresh rate.

As usual, iCTech does not ascribe the information to a specific source. The account has a spotty reputation and has in the past provided both accurate leaks -- photos of Apple's iPhone 5c Quick Start guide -- and rumors that ultimately proved incorrect. AppleInsider is unable to confirm the veracity of iCTech's current claims and presents the information for purposes of discussion.

Rumors of Apple's interest in incorporating a third rear-facing camera into iPhone first surfaced in early January when supposed renders of an engineering validation testing (EVT) design were shared on Twitter by known leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer. Another render from the same source was shared this week. Hemmerstoffer was unable to provide specifics of the triple lens phone beyond its alleged design.

With the current iPhone XS and XS Max featuring wide-angle and 2x telephoto lenses, a jump in magnification is feasible.

On the battery claims, the latest iPhone XS and XS Max are powered by 2,658mAh and 3,174mAh batteries, respectively, while the iPhone XR incorporates a 2,942mAh cell. Bumping capacity to 4,000mAh would already be a technical achievement with the existing form factor, let alone squeezing what would presumably be a larger cell into a similarly sized chassis that boasts an addition camera module. Previous reports claim Apple is already grappling with space limitations as it attempts to position the triple-lens rear camera array, with rumors suggesting engineers are thinking about changing the shape of the battery.

Along with a larger battery cell, the Weibo post claims a next-generation iPhone will feature 15W fast wireless charging. Unlike the bespoke solution developed for Apple Watch, Apple adopted the Qi standard for iPhone, which supports 15W throughput. An iPhone supporting high capacity wireless charging could be in the cards for 2019, but thermals could be an issue.

Echoing recent rumors, iCTech also claims the next iPhone will feature a smaller TrueDepth notch than current models. Rumors this week point to a revamped TrueDepth array with 10-megapixel camera, up from the current 7MP found in iPhone XS and XR.

Finally, the Weibo post notes support for a 90 to 120Hz display, the latter being identical to refresh rates seen on iPad Pro. Faster refresh rates equate to smoother animations and more accurate user input at the cost of battery life. Apple addressed the issue in part with ProMotion, a variable display rate technology that automatically adjusts refresh rates between 24Hz and 120Hz for an optimal blend of performance and efficiency.

Apple is expected to release three new iPhone models this fall, two of which are anticipated upgrades to the current OLED-toting XS line. A third model should revamp the low-cost iPhone XR.

Update: The Weibo entry appears to be a regurgitation of a 2019 iPhone wish list shared on Twitter by noted leaker Ben Geskin.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Sounds terrific. Here’s hoping they’re accurate. Though the heating issue w 15 w charging is a concern for battery life. 
  • Reply 2 of 22
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    sounds like an overkill.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    If that is the final design and somewhat true specs.. take my money already..very clean and elegant !
    SoundJudgment
  • Reply 4 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Rumors,fake news. Seeing is only believing.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 5 of 22
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    So the next normalish sized iPhone X will not be a pair the larger model then.

ie it'll be a Plus not a Max.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Rumor: Apple to revise Q1 2020 guidance. Will be cutting orders with suppliers and is already forecasting lower demand. Analyst’s made-up shipment projections to be slashed. 

I wouldn’t mind 3x telephoto. Personally i get plenty of life out of my current battery and have yet to use wireless charging even though my last two phones have supported it so those things aren’t high on my list. 

• Reply 7 of 22
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    If these rumors are true + a 1080 display on the XR then I’m upgrading.
    SoundJudgment
  • Reply 8 of 22
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    JFC_PA said:
    Sounds terrific. Here’s hoping they’re accurate. Though the heating issue w 15 w charging is a concern for battery life. 
    Just like Apple limited 7.5w charging to approved wireless chargers perhaps they’ll do the same thing for 15w and require some kind of cooling to manage heat. My Anker 7.5w Qi chargers already have a cooling fan built into them. I know 7.5w is half the charging rate but my phone is cool to the touch even after a nearly dead to full charge. On that same note, I would be a little annoyed because my Anker chargers are limited to 10w charging so I’d have to replace them to get full speed wireless charging, and they weren’t cheap. Almost $60 each and I bought 4 of them.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Fatman said:
    If these rumors are true + a 1080 display on the XR then I’m upgrading.
    I don’t understand why people are so hung up on a 1080p screen.

https://youtu.be/dcFXEXJicgc
  • Reply 10 of 22
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Why not offer a high capacity battery version of each model? Jony Ive could still be happy with the super skinny, standard battery models and could just avert his eyes from the thicker, big battery versions. Now that Apple actually seems concerned about flagging sales, this would be an easy way to get a boost. Let's face it, most iPhone users don't care much about anything but runtime. It's certainly the biggest source of frustration with all phone users, regardless of brand.
    montrosemacsmuthuk_vanalingamctt_zhSoundJudgment
  • Reply 11 of 22
    welshdog said:
    Why not offer a high capacity battery version of each model? Jony Ive could still be happy with the super skinny, standard battery models and could just avert his eyes from the thicker, big battery versions. Now that Apple actually seems concerned about flagging sales, this would be an easy way to get a boost. Let's face it, most iPhone users don't care much about anything but runtime. It's certainly the biggest source of frustration with all phone users, regardless of brand.
    Indeed. I just returned from a 10-day trip to an exotic foreign land that was hyper-photogenic. Using my new XS, taking 200 photos a day, plus a couple of short videos, also sent a few texts and emails, browsing the internet for news for maybe 20 minutes. Starting at 7 AM, by 3-4 PM the battery was below 10%. Had to rely on my Anker back-up battery to make it thru dinner. Photos are superb quality, battery life not so much. In this regard, the XS is no better than any iPhone I've owned and I've owned many going back to the first. Disappointing. 
    edited January 2019 Macsplosion
  • Reply 12 of 22
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    These changes would mark an improvement over current iPhones but are features from 2018.

The next iPhone refresh will be for most of 2020 and by then won't mark any industry difference.

Battery capacity increases are long overdue but 4000Mah will be enough. They need to accompany that increase with a 'supercharge' feature, though. 15W wireless charging also appeared on phones last year.

We got x3 optical zoom and tri cameras in March last year and x5 (in some people's views) in October last year. Now there are rumours of even higher optical zoom levels arriving in just four weeks (MWC2019).

Apple should be looking to pull itself up to what the industry will be offering in September 2019 or even leapfrog those features, not announce features that appeared more than a year and a half earlier. It just makes the sale that much harder and when current prices are taken into account, even harder still.

edited January 2019 muthuk_vanalingamctt_zh
  • Reply 13 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Fake Wishlist.  Cook’s Apple would not make such an iPhone.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    welshdog said:
    Indeed. I just returned from a 10-day trip to an exotic foreign land that was hyper-photogenic. Using my new XS, taking 200 photos a day, plus a couple of short videos, also sent a few texts and emails, browsing the internet for news for maybe 20 minutes. Starting at 7 AM, by 3-4 PM the battery was below 10%. Had to rely on my Anker back-up battery to make it thru dinner. Photos are superb quality, battery life not so much. In this regard, the XS is no better than any iPhone I've owned and I've owned many going back to the first. Disappointing. 
    Oh please. You cite a short-term extreme use case and are dissappointed that you had to use an external battery for part of the day. How's it working the other 355 days of the year? The battery life you complain about is more than enough for almost all customers almost all of the time.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    avon b7 said:
    These changes would mark an improvement over current iPhones but are features from 2018.

The next iPhone refresh will be for most of 2020 and by then won't mark any industry difference.

Battery capacity increases are long overdue but 4000Mah will be enough. They need to accompany that increase with a 'supercharge' feature, though. 15W wireless charging also appeared on phones last year.

We got x3 optical zoom and tri cameras in March last year and x5 (in some people's views) in October last year. Now there are rumours of even higher optical zoom levels arriving in just four weeks (MWC2019).

Apple should be looking to pull itself up to what the industry will be offering in September 2019 or even leapfrog those features, not announce features that appeared more than a year and a half earlier. It just makes the sale that much harder and when current prices are taken into account, even harder still.

All they need to do is to convince people like me ( on an 8) to upgrade. The number of people who change to the most powerful machine regardless of OS is low.
    tmay
  • Reply 16 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    mike1 said:
    welshdog said:
    Oh please. You cite a short-term extreme use case and are dissappointed that you had to use an external battery for part of the day. How's it working the other 355 days of the year? The battery life you complain about is more than enough for almost all customers almost all of the time.
    I took a vacation on an unnamed pacific island with my Xs, was taking pictures all day, doing some surfing and miscellaneous other use and never had my battery go below 50%.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

avon b7 said:

When they say '15W Wireless charging,' does that mean 15W consumed at the pad or 15W delivered to the device? 
  • Reply 18 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    MplsP said:
    mike1 said:
    welshdog said:
    Oh please. You cite a short-term extreme use case and are disappointed that you had to use an external battery for part of the day. How's it working the other 355 days of the year? The battery life you complain about is more than enough for almost all customers almost all of the time.
    I took a vacation on an unnamed pacific island with my Xs, was taking pictures all day, doing some surfing and miscellaneous other use and never had my battery go below 50%.
    Same for me during my 9-day vacation last year.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    “3x” what?

It does not mean magnification power, as most people believe. It is merely the ratio between the longest focal length on a camera and the widest. 3x on one camera can mean something completely different on another. They could all be wide angle focal lengths and none of them telephoto. 

It it is a marketing ploy meant to deceive the stupid. 
  • Reply 20 of 22
    mike1 said:
    MplsP said:
    mike1 said:
    welshdog said:
    Oh please. You cite a short-term extreme use case and are disappointed that you had to use an external battery for part of the day. How's it working the other 355 days of the year? The battery life you complain about is more than enough for almost all customers almost all of the time.
    Same for me during my 9-day vacation last year.
    Yeah, it’s eye-rolling. Pretty much everyone uses their phone to take pictures while on vacation and it doesn’t matter where or for how long. Last summer we were at the beach. I was taking photos and videos every day, frequently using my phone to control my drone, putting my phone on a tripod to get a 20 minute time-lapse of the sunrise, etc., and of course texting and going online and all the other normal things I do. I didn’t have battery concerns. 

Clearly people likely won’t complain about longer battery life, but for most people the current batteries last long enough. 

I have to to laugh at the posters saying 15w is last year’s tech when just a couple of days ago  those same posters were talking about how most people carry a cable and maybe a charger with them everywhere anyway.