Apple CEO Tim Cook says new services coming this year, talks iPhone XR 'flop,' more

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    Apple is a mess. That said, it's still better in many ways than the competition. Apple is splintered. Too many products, trying to be everything for everyone. Mess. Confusing. Most folks (non-tech) still cant tell what the hell icloud is/does. Even some techies, are still confused. More fragmentation/Confusion: Paid services; should be consolidated like amazon. One price for all or most or like services. Instead we get Pay for apple music, Pay for iTunes match, Pay for icloud xtra storage, Pay for Developers account, pay for iOS dev. Pay for OS X dev. account. Completely ridiculous, and confusing. Hardware is a joke, quality is down. Actually Hardware is greatly outtdated in some areas, and assiningly ahead in others. As in it's still not main stream... usb c anybody? Soon to add Apple TV paid service. Why not have a bulk price for iCloud, which encompasses music/icloud storage/and developement. Or at the very least roll icloud and music service together in a single sub. Anyhow, I hope Apple finds its way again. Some signs point to hope, other's not so much. iphone X, Xs R, etc really. No seriously. really. Reminds me of a company who once sold their product lines in a confusing horrible failed manor.. Windows. home, premium, professional, 32,64,X, Platinum.. Ridiculous. Hope Apple finds its way. It's an absolute shame how much ahead alexa is than Siri. How Apple maps has hardly progressed, leaving Google, the leader still after all these years. It's depressing apple is following more these days instead of leading. Wake up please. /End constructive criticism.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 62 of 81
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    NY1822 said:
    doubt it will happen, but might Apple get into banking?

"This is not brand-new information….a survey in 2015 stated that 73% of people in their 20s-30s were more excited by a financial services product offered by a technology company rather than a traditional bank."

https://www.finextra.com/blogposting/14337/is-apple-about-to-take-a-bite-out-of-the-retail-banking-industry
    Not too crazy an idea. The AppleBank idea was kicked around when ApplePay was announced.

Apple could be the most secure bank in the world with all our money in the cloud. No, seriously. This would eliminate brick and mortar banks, reduce bank robberies. The Bank would also speed up ApplePay adoption faster than ever.

So many damn benefits.
    Virtual banks get robbed. 'In the cloud" doesn't mean safe. 
    It's Apple. 
  • Reply 63 of 81
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    tzeshan said:
    XR is a bad design decision. XR should be smaller than XS. 
    No X and XS is bad design decision. XR is the best thing thst happened to iPhones in last 5 years. Excellent phone for a decent price.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    Haha Cook totally lost the compass ...

"We release products when they are ready"

Yeah say that to the people who bought Homepod  :#
  • Reply 65 of 81
    Seems quite obvious Cook is referring to Apple Video (or whatever they end up calling their streaming service... “Appleflix”?).
  • Reply 66 of 81
    digitol said:
    Apple is a mess. That said, it's still better in many ways than the competition. Apple is splintered. Too many products, trying to be everything for everyone. Mess. Confusing. Most folks (non-tech) still cant tell what the hell icloud is/does. Even some techies, are still confused. More fragmentation/Confusion: Paid services; should be consolidated like amazon. One price for all or most or like services. Instead we get Pay for apple music, Pay for iTunes match, Pay for icloud xtra storage, Pay for Developers account, pay for iOS dev. Pay for OS X dev. account. Completely ridiculous, and confusing. Hardware is a joke, quality is down. Actually Hardware is greatly outtdated in some areas, and assiningly ahead in others. As in it's still not main stream... usb c anybody? Soon to add Apple TV paid service. Why not have a bulk price for iCloud, which encompasses music/icloud storage/and developement. Or at the very least roll icloud and music service together in a single sub. Anyhow, I hope Apple finds its way again. Some signs point to hope, other's not so much. iphone X, Xs R, etc really. No seriously. really. Reminds me of a company who once sold their product lines in a confusing horrible failed manor.. Windows. home, premium, professional, 32,64,X, Platinum.. Ridiculous. Hope Apple finds its way. It's an absolute shame how much ahead alexa is than Siri. How Apple maps has hardly progressed, leaving Google, the leader still after all these years. It's depressing apple is following more these days instead of leading. Wake up please. /End constructive criticism.
    You sound very confused. Much of the above isn’t even true or accurate. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 67 of 81
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    digitol said:
    Apple is a mess. That said, it's still better in many ways than the competition. Apple is splintered. Too many products, trying to be everything for everyone. Mess. Confusing. Most folks (non-tech) still cant tell what the hell icloud is/does. Even some techies, are still confused. More fragmentation/Confusion: Paid services; should be consolidated like amazon. One price for all or most or like services. Instead we get Pay for apple music, Pay for iTunes match, Pay for icloud xtra storage, Pay for Developers account, pay for iOS dev. Pay for OS X dev. account. Completely ridiculous, and confusing. Hardware is a joke, quality is down. Actually Hardware is greatly outtdated in some areas, and assiningly ahead in others. As in it's still not main stream... usb c anybody? Soon to add Apple TV paid service. Why not have a bulk price for iCloud, which encompasses music/icloud storage/and developement. Or at the very least roll icloud and musi c service together in a single sub. Anyhow, I hope Apple finds its way again. Some signs point to hope, other's not so much. iphone X, Xs R, etc really. No seriously. really. Reminds me of a company who once sold their product lines in a confusing horrible failed manor.. Windows. home, premium, professional, 32,64,X, Platinum.. Ridiculous. Hope Apple finds its way. It's an absolute shame how much ahead alexa is than Siri. How Apple maps has hardly progressed, leaving Google, the leader still after all these years. It's depressing apple is following more these days instead of leading. Wake up please. /End constructive criticism.
    For a narrative it's half decent. Appreciate your opinion though. I am incidentally disagree more than half as I should like, certainly I like less than half as you deserve.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    elijahg said:
    DoctorQ said:
    A trustworthy VPN that ‘just works’?
    They used to have that, at least between Macs: it was Back to My Mac. It used IPv6 tunnels internally and was fully auto-configuring and included support for Bonjour advertisements over the tunnel. But they removed it in Mojave for apparently no reason.
    Incorrect. "reasons unknown to me" is what you mean to say.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 69 of 81
    digitol said:
    I kind of agree with a lot of these statements. 

HW quality is definitely down for sure, especially MacBook Pro's. And the worst is prices are up.

Services are really a mess. Thats kind of historically had always been with Apple. They just can't do a product like Maps, Netflix, Spotify, GMail or AWS. 

• Reply 70 of 81
    And talking about how advanced the iPhone XS is and that the price is justifiable...  Not even the second place anymore in the camera quality:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-camera-phone

These phones cost 1/2 the price btw...
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 71 of 81
    jume said:
    digitol said:

HW quality is definitely down for sure, especially MacBook Pro's. And the worst is prices are up.

Services are really a mess. Thats kind of historically had always been with Apple. They just can't do a product like Maps, Netflix, Spotify, GMail or AWS. 

Bullshit. The 2018 MBP is the best Mac I’ve ever owned. Maps is great and getting better. There’s nothing wrong with Apple Music.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    jume said:
    digitol said:

Bullshit. The 2018 MBP is the best Mac I’ve ever owned. Maps is great and getting better. There’s nothing wrong with Apple Music.
    Well I will tell you what is wrong with 2018 MBP:

- touchbar is useless (of course at list you can opt-out, which is okay)
    - upgrades on MBP are freaking expensive 500-1500 just to double the SSD/RAM. crazy...
    - to make it useful in work environment you need to invest into USBC dock
    - the processors inside are not latest

Maps:

- try using it in Europe somewhere and get directions from a business name perspective.. you are doomed
    - it lacks several data features compared to GMaps

Apple Music:

- Apple music is great I love it but lacks several good features, especially in the music discovery section
    - discovery options are really poor.. I mean sure pop, hip-hop is favoured mostly, but if you are more into "real" and "rare" music is hard to discover
    - should introduce "concept of labels"
    - curated playlists are very poor
    - social features are very poor and useless
    - iTunes is very slow sometimes and browsing is confused
  • Reply 73 of 81
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    jume said:
    jume said:
    digitol said:

Well I will tell you what is wrong with 2018 MBP:

- touchbar is useless (of course at list you can opt-out, which is okay)
    - upgrades on MBP are freaking expensive 500-1500 just to double the SSD/RAM. crazy...
    - to make it useful in work environment you need to invest into USBC dock
    - the processors inside are not latest
    If you say so. /yawn
  • Reply 74 of 81
    NY1822 said:
    what new services do you guys think Apple should get into?
    Based on what Tim said in the interview, my guess is that Apple will focus a significant amount of energy on health and medical-related services. 
  • Reply 75 of 81
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

Cook went so far as to say Apple will be remembered more for its contributions to health than technology.

"On the healthcare, in particular, and sorta your wellbeing, this is an area that I believe, if you zoom out into the future, and you look back, and you ask the question, 'What was Apple's greatest contribution to mankind,' it will be about health," he said.

Quite a statement.

mattinoz said:
    robbyx said:
    NY1822 said:
    That's a good question.  Other than video, what has mass appeal?  I'd be curious to hear what services people currently use.  It's hard for me to imagine what services Apple might launch outside of video and perhaps some kind of all-you-can-eat magazine subscription service (based on their acquisition of Texture).
    That’s an easy one. The service that is ripe for takeover is something to rival Facebook that doesn’t steel, sell or absconded with your private data and still allow you to be in contact with your friends and family.
    To me the Facebook/Twitter/... replacement wants to be an open source open platfrom almost as an extension you add to your email server.   

Or if they opened up messages to android (I don’t think they will).

edited January 2019
  • Reply 76 of 81
    MplsP said:
    mattinoz said:
    NY1822 said:
    iCloud for Teams
    Allow teams in teams or indeed a customer to be in multiple seperate teams.
    So I could have my family shared space, personal space on home computer, while work device has my department and company space.
    iPad, iPhone would have all but would mute Family space notifications while at work and vis versa.

Team owners can buy storage, apps and services for their team and manage in one location.

Single sign-on one iCloud account

I would love an iCloud alternative to G Suite. I fucking hate Google's software.
    yes. We use office 365 at work, and it's a bloody mess. Classic Microsoft (mis)design on the interface. A good business suite would be awesome.
    I us office 365. As with all Microsoft software it seems to update twice a month. But, I must say, for me it really works well. It is stable, and - in the Netherlands - the standard. I tried to move to AppleWorks but I get to many compatibility issues when I exchange my documents with others. Further AppleWorks does not have settings that make it easy for you to work in a blended environment where some use Word and some use Pages. I don’t get why Apple doesn’t get really real on AppleWorks.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    NY1822 said:
    Extend CarPlay to allow an electric vehicle to provide it information on:  its location, its remaining available charge, its homebase location, its schedule of availability and current status for joining a ride hailing service, then let CarPlay allow the car to join into a dynamic fleet of such vehicles to serve ride hailing services, both existing and perhaps even one run by Apple.  

Apple’s service could create all the layers of technology needed to allow ride hailing and dispatch of vehicles currently in the fleet to serve each ride.  Route optimization tech would dispatch the appropriate vehicle based on positions of all available vehicles proximate to the ride hail request, accounting for remaining charge level, distance to destination and where that would leave the vehicle relative to the end of its scheduled service period, or distance from its homebase or a depot for recharging/cleaning, etc.

Vehicles could add themselves to such a fleet in an ad hoc or formerly-scheduled manner, taking on the responsibility for navigating, passenger safety, etc.  Apple would only determine that a vehicle could serve a ride and sent the ride hailing details.  The vehicles need not use even Apple maps; they could use their built-in GPS, thus alleviating Apple of liability should a vehicle crash or drive off the road.  Lol.  

Ride hailing today relies on human drivers, and is much closer to a dynamic taxi service versus what ride hailing will look like in the coming age of autonomous vehicles.  Apple is undoubtedly thinking through what the long future should look like and what the intermediate future of both human driven and autonomous vehicles concurrently sharing the road might look like.  I can hope the company sees a signidicant role for itself in both these major phases of the future of transportation-as-a-service.  
    Cards should also have an option for biking routes.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    Mr Cook has failed to maintain the Apple tradition of innovation. He's a bean counter not a leader.
  • Reply 79 of 81
    MplsP said:
    mattinoz said:
    NY1822 said:
    iCloud for Teams
    Allow teams in teams or indeed a customer to be in multiple seperate teams.
    So I could have my family shared space, personal space on home computer, while work device has my department and company space.
    iPad, iPhone would have all but would mute Family space notifications while at work and vis versa.

Team owners can buy storage, apps and services for their team and manage in one location.

Single sign-on one iCloud account

I would love an iCloud alternative to G Suite. I fucking hate Google's software.
    yes. We use office 365 at work, and it's a bloody mess. Classic Microsoft (mis)design on the interface. A good business suite would be awesome.
    I us office 365. As with all Microsoft software it seems to update twice a month. But, I must say, for me it really works well. It is stable, and - in the Netherlands - the standard. I tried to move to AppleWorks but I get to many compatibility issues when I exchange my documents with others. Further AppleWorks does not have settings that make it easy for you to work in a blended environment where some use Word and some use Pages. I don’t get why Apple doesn’t get really real on AppleWorks.
    Blast from the past:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleWorks
  • Reply 80 of 81

Mr Cook has failed to maintain the Apple tradition of innovation. He's a bean counter not a leader.
    Go away.