Apple again starts selling iPhone SE, this time on clearance for $249

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2019
Apple returned the iPhone SE to its U.S. online store on Saturday, but only as part of a clearance effort to seemingly liquidate the remaining stock of the discontinued handset.

At a new special price, those who are interested can grab a brand new, unopened iPhone SE for only $249 with 32GB or 128GB for $299. They come fully unlocked sporting the same specs as when it was introduced in 2016. As a refresher, the iPhone SE includes the A9 Apple processor, Touch ID, and the four-inch form factor.

Those current prices are $100 and $150 off respectively compared to Apple's prices before the phone was removed from sale.

Currently, Apple is only selling phones with displays above 4.7-inches, much to the chagrin of small-handed iPhone lovers. MacRumors was first to spot the discounted offering.

Grab one while you can because, with the discount, these likely won't last too long. Gadget reseller Gazelle has some used models available as well, though they are also selling through.

It isn't clear how long the iPhone SE will remain supported by iOS. The A9 processor first shipped with the iPhone 6S in September 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    They're gone.
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 33
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    If one does not know already through these articles , its almost impossible to find by visiting the online store directly...
  • Reply 3 of 33
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    macseeker said:
    They're gone.
    12:51 AM PT.... jan 20 Only rose gold left
  • Reply 4 of 33
    I believe the iPhone SE will get iOS updates until 2022 or 2023.
    baconstang
  • Reply 5 of 33
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    If history is a guide, iOS should support it for at least another major version or two ...
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Chuck11Chuck11 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Amazon has a selection of SE refurbs abailable.....
  • Reply 7 of 33
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    chasm said:
    If history is a guide, iOS should support it for at least another major version or two ...
    Dropping it, I believe, depends on Apple's policy of support -- which is not clear.   Not clear at all.
    The last iPhone they dropped from support was the 32bit iPhone 5.   But, that was likely because it's 32bit processor was no longer compatible with either the modern OS or the file system Apple was moving towards.

That is:  it was dropped for technical reasons rather than any corporate ("5 years & out") policy.

So, with iPhone sales dropping off -- partly because iPhones are lasting longer and longer -- over twice as long as their original 2 year expectancy -- will Apple institute a retirement policy based on some arbitrary number of years rather than technical limitations?

Stockholders would cheer (till it impacted long term sales).   Customers would boo if Apple, for no apparent reason, dropped support of their phone that was working well.
    prismaticscgWerkscornchipmuthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 8 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Grab it while still available. We know there won't be another release of 4" screen iPhone SE but 5" screen iPhone SE-X can replace SE and still have place in iPhone lineup. With older hardware, 5" LCD, faceid, lower price; people who like relatively smaller iPhone will buy.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 9 of 33
    wood1208 said:
    Grab it while still available. We know there won't be another release of 4" screen iPhone SE but 5" screen iPhone SE-X can replace SE and still have place in iPhone lineup. With older hardware, 5" LCD, faceid, lower price; people who like relatively smaller iPhone will buy.
    Yes I can just see Apple releasing the new iPhone SEX
    Jeff_in_TXelijahgcommand_fzroger73cornchipmike1dewme
  • Reply 10 of 33
    wood1208 said:
    Of course, it'll be pronounced "setten".
    cornchip
  • Reply 11 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    wood1208 said:
    or positively speaking SE-Xy looking bit larger screen iPhone SE.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Still using my refurbished SE.

Hope Apple will make another version using the 10 design.

AppleWatch, iPhone SE (small and super lite), MacBook (12" screen/2#'s), iPad mini (8" screen/1#) for travel and an AppleTV with a 50" screen!

Best.
    designrbaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 33
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Doubt it.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Doubt it.
    We’ll see. I don’t see Apple selling a phone directly and not supporting it for years.  I replaced my battery on my 6s for $29 with a similar expectation. (Both the SE & 6s use the same chip).

I think Apple is coming to the realization they need phones at a lower price point than $550.  I expect Apple to release a cheaper model this year.

Currenly Apple has addressed the market with 7’s and referbs.  It will be interesting to see what they do.  With the emphasis on services volume matters...

baconstang
  • Reply 15 of 33
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Currently, Apple is only selling phones with displays above 4.7-inches, much to the chagrin of small-handed iPhone lovers.
    ...or people with normal sized hands that like pocketable phones...???
    command_fdesignrmattinozcgWerksbenji888backstabbaconstangcornchip
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Ooooh, Fantastic!! That means that the SE 2 is going to be coming out imminently.
    I knew it! I knew it!!
    {then wakes up from dream}
    command_fbala1234cornchipbaconstang
  • Reply 17 of 33
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Doubt it.
    We’ll see. I don’t see Apple selling a phone directly and not supporting it for years.  I replaced my battery on my 6s for $29 with a similar expectation. (Both the SE & 6s use the same chip).

I think Apple is coming to the realization they need phones at a lower price point than $550.  I expect Apple to release a cheaper model this year.

Currenly Apple has addressed the market with 7’s and referbs.  It will be interesting to see what they do.  With the emphasis on services volume matters...

iPhone SE was released in 2016.  Supporting it until 2023 would put it at 7 years. I highly doubt that this happens.  The longest Apple has gone so far is with iOS 12 and that's supporting iPhones up to 5 years old.  Five years of support seems fair to me.
    edited January 2019 command_fmacguicornchip
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Doubt it.

iPhone SE was released in 2016.  Supporting it until 2023 would put it at 7 years. I highly doubt that this happens.  The longest Apple has gone so far is with iOS 12 and that's supporting iPhones up to 5 years old.  Five years of support seems fair to me.
    FYI: “For older versions of Windows and Office, Microsoft provides at least five years of mainstream support, followed by another five years of extended support.”

Apple really hasn’t provided much clarity.... but if we think of the iPad (for example) they’re selling it as a PC replacement so they’re competing on longevity.  iPhones basically use the same chips...

I don’t know Apple’s plans, but today is unlike the early days of the iPhone.  iPhones were relatively inexpensive with rapid advancements.  These days, the OS is slowly evolving, so support could be extended.  When I think of the devices, I see obsolescence driven by batteries and the SSD performance degrading (and the batteries are fairly easily replaced).

If you buy an iPhone today I’d expect it to last 5 to 6 years (probably replacing the battery once). My point is with the 64bit phones (SE,6s) Apple can support them as long as they want, it’s not really going to hold back many OS enhancements. 

The situation is similar with Microsoft Windows 10.  If you replace a 6 year old PCs hard drive with an a new SSD it will run just fine.  With a laptop you’d just need to replace the battery also.

One thing I didn’t mention is the ram, the iPhone 8 has the same amount of ram as the 6s/SE.  So Apple could be in a position to discontinue support for both at the same time.  The iPhone 8 will probably still be sold 2 years from now...
    bb-15baconstang
  • Reply 19 of 33
    I don’t know Apple’s plans, but today is unlike the early days of the iPhone.  iPhones were relatively inexpensive with rapid advancements.  These days, the OS is slowly evolving, so support could be extended.  When I think of the devices, I see obsolescence driven by batteries and the SSD performance degrading (and the batteries are fairly easily replaced).

If you buy an iPhone today I’d expect it to last 5 to 6 years (probably replacing the battery once). My point is with the 64bit phones (SE,6s) Apple can support them as long as they want, it’s not really going to hold back many OS enhancements. 
    Good points. I think what could drive these phones into an earlier retirement is Apple's plans for graphics processor/neural engine usage. If a killer app appears needing these then we could see a sudden consumer urgency accompanied by an incompatible iOS enhancement. Interesting to think what that killer app might be though.

Or the current crop of powerful Axx chips could just be Mac components in testing?
  • Reply 20 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    "Small handed iPhone lovers".
    I think the author does protest to much.
    backstabbaconstang