Apple again starts selling iPhone SE, this time on clearance for $249

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I missed out. Amazon has only locked 32G phones, not worth my time.

Apple will not Support the SE for seven years, regardless of MS' support policies. Apples and lemons. Apple will drop support of the SE when they believe the next OS will not be a viable experience on it, and that will before seven years pass.

I'd like to see Apple expand the X line with an SE-like form factor. There would be the Xs, Xs Max, Xr, and Xse. If Apple offers the 128G SE again, and I'm in the right place at the right time, I'll get one. That would ensure them announcing the Xse in the next few months.
    cornchip
  • Reply 22 of 33
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    AppleInsider said:
    ... as part of a clearance effort to seemingly liquidate the remaining stock of the discontinued handset.
    Currently, Apple is only selling phones with displays above 4.7-inches, much to the chagrin of small-handed iPhone lovers. MacRumors was first to spot the discounted offering.
    It isn't clear how long the iPhone SE will remain supported by iOS. The A9 processor first shipped with the iPhone 6S in September 2015.
    Hmm... I wonder if this means the SE2 is coming soon?

Also, re: 4.7" screen... it isn't that we don't want big screens, we just don't want big devices (which in turn, limits the screen size).

re: support - The big thing that seems to bump devices out of being supported is RAM. The SE has a similar amount of RAM as newer models, so I'd guess it will be a few years yet. (If not, I'll be tweaked, as Apple has no replacement for me to buy.)

wood1208 said: Grab it while still available. We know there won't be another release of 4" screen iPhone SE but 5" screen  ...
    Hmm, I suppose a 5" screen would *just* fit? But, then given my comments above, I started to look more at my phone and wonder if there would be anything actually better about that, besides the spec, as it would just be taller, not wider. (And, part taken by the notch... and we'd lose Touch ID.) I suppose in landscape, you could have a wider web-page in a thin sliver view. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much point for screens way outside a somewhat typical aspect ratio. It ends up being kind of wasted space anyway.

Doodpants said:
    Of course, it'll be pronounced "setten". LOL, yeah, that works too.

canukstorm said:
    iPhone SE was released in 2016.  Supporting it until 2023 would put it at 7 years. I highly doubt that this happens.  The longest Apple has gone so far is with iOS 12 and that's supporting iPhones up to 5 years old.  Five years of support seems fair to me. Unless they do something artificial, it should be supported as long as the iPhone 8, as they both have the same amount of RAM. Once enough models come along with 3 GB of RAM (as the X, XR, etc.) then Apple will eventually drop support for the 2 GB devices. I suppose the CPU/GPU *could* also matter, but not nearly as much as RAM.

But, yea, I'd think 2021 or so might be it. That's a couple years, though, so at those prices, it would be worth it. And/or if you still want a phone sized phone and don't want to risk the possibility they don't make an SE 2. If I didn't have my SE, I'd be buying one any way I could.

seanismorris said:
    ... I don’t know Apple’s plans, but today is unlike the early days of the iPhone.  iPhones were relatively inexpensive with rapid advancements.  These days, the OS is slowly evolving, so support could be extended.  When I think of the devices, I see obsolescence driven by batteries and the SSD performance degrading (and the batteries are fairly easily replaced). ... I think that's a really good point. For the first several years, there were good reasons for a yearly or every-2 years purchase of a new model. The technology was developing so rapidly. Now, it's becoming more like Intel's dilemma where Apple has to try and add other features to make an upgrade worth it.

re: battery & SSD - Yeah... I sure hope those things last longer than I expect, now. That's the one thing that makes me nervous about my new Mac mini, is that if the storage goes, then I'm stuck with an external hanging off it... but at least it's possible, I guess. Or, as you say the battery in my phone... but I can replace that for not crazy amounts of money.

command_f said:
    Good points. I think what could drive these phones into an earlier retirement is Apple's plans for graphics processor/neural engine usage. If a killer app appears needing these then we could see a sudden consumer urgency accompanied by an incompatible iOS enhancement. Interesting to think what that killer app might be though. Yeah, that's the thing. Like what? It starts getting into the territory like desktops face today, where the vast majority of people think Word is fast enough, and they aren't doing heavy gaming or VR or such. Maybe the neural engine stuff for photo editing apps and such, but otherwise, I just don't see it being mainstream. Nor, VR. Nor, AR. Nor, ML. etc. (Those are speciality things, primarily, and I'd even say quite overhyped... a bit like 3D TVs though it's kind of hard to beat that in terms of stupid-hype.)

macgui said:
    Apple will drop support of the SE when they believe the next OS will not be a viable experience on it, and that will before seven years pass.
    Why, though? Why would iOS run substantially slower on a SE than on an iPhone 7 or 8? Sure, the CPU/GPU is a bit faster, but we're not talking about major leaps, right?

designr said:
    Size is doubtful...but it would be nice to seem something closer...maybe the regular 6/7/8 (vs. plus) size (or slightly smaller)...edged-to-edge screen...no "chin"...the notch is here to stay for a while.
    I don't think that design can go much bigger than the current SE, without becoming uncomfortable. That's one complaint I've heard about the new iPad Pros, is that they are now much less comfortable to hold with the square'd edges. In something like a phone, the discomfort would just be magnified. (Of course, that's assuming Apple cares. cf. mouse)
    command_f
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Not seeing any at the moment, probably sold out, but, that doesn’t mean it won’t show up once or twice more.
    cornchip
  • Reply 24 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    designr said:
    macgui said:

I'd like to see Apple expand the X line with an SE-like form factor.
    There's some evidence that at least that design language may make a comeback. Take a look at the new iPod Pro. It's not hard to imagine this as the first step back to that design. Size is doubtful...but it would be nice to seem something closer...maybe the regular 6/7/8 (vs. plus) size (or slightly smaller)...edged-to-edge screen...no "chin"...the notch is here to stay for a while. Something kinda like this: https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/20/iphone-se-2-concept-video/

They just scale the notch to suit the width of the screen. Pretty sure that isn't going to work unless they have new FaceID system in the works to reduce number of componets.

command_f
  • Reply 25 of 33
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    My carrier, Virgin Mobile, had a clearance of SEs back in September.  I picked up a spare 32GB phone for $160.
    I've had a 64GB SE for the last couple of years.  I make extensive use of iCould, so I don't need much storage on my phone.

That said, I am looking forward to an X style, SE sized iPhone.   It's not about price, nor hand size.  It's about pocket size.  I'm not ditching my 501s for cargo pants.
    If it doesn't fit in my pocket, I ain't buying it...regardless of price.
    bonobobmattinozcommand_fdesignrcornchip
  • Reply 26 of 33
    LiosnottLiosnott Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Apple ran out, but Best buy, Walmart and other retailers have them
  • Reply 27 of 33
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Liosnott said:
    Apple ran out, but Best buy, Walmart and other retailers have them
    No, they don't, not the SEs that Apple just sold. All your sources have is 32G locked versions. No 128G like Apple just sold, and no unlocked phones, like Apple just sold.

Almost nobody is buying 32G locked SEs tied to pre-paid plans. According to att putting them on post-paid plans doesn't count towards time to get them unlocked. So putting them on prepaid for six months means a new account. Ain't nobody got time for that.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 29 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Surely the point of a springboard rework would be to make it work completely independently of screen size and thus make it zero effort to support 4inch screens. Given variations of it will run from 1 to 13 inches.

Oddly one of thingsit needs at all sizes is to work like it's only thumb sweep from a corner. Like the Watch.

edited January 2019 cornchipcgWerks
  • Reply 30 of 33
    I would buy iPhone SE, but they will stop supporting them soon. Some people need phone for 4-5 years and not flashy mainstream toys that were just released. Well that leaves some with some other options like LG LinQ G7 that already uses AI and it is getting better deals than cheapest iPhones these days. Sure it is not top of the line, but phone for $1000 is a joke and more for addicts. You can get solid phone for half price of this and only few monts old.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    macgui said:
    Almost nobody is buying 32G locked SEs tied to pre-paid plans. According to att putting them on post-paid plans doesn't count towards time to get them unlocked. So putting them on prepaid for six months means a new account. Ain't nobody got time for that.
    That is a good point. I wonder how much impact all the silly plan details and configurations have on what phone the average person picks.
    Since I always buy my phones outright, I don't really consider that aspect.

Some thoughts from a mobile developer ...
    Yeah, I think I heard Marco talking about this too, a while back, though more from a standpoint of wishing the small screens would go away, as devs have trouble fitting their interfaces on them. Hopefully, they are both wrong.

designr said:
    Really? I suspect it would be fine. I could be wrong of course, but I thing would be fine at even the "max" phone size. I'm guessing one of the issues with the iPad Pro, comparatively, is that the higher weight might make those edges less comfortable. That would be less of a problem on the much smaller phone.

Agreed about whether Apple will care or not though. ....
    Hmm, maybe. I guess we'll have to wait and see/hold one.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    mattinoz said:
    Surely the point of a springboard rework would be to make it work completely independently of screen size and thus make it zero effort to support 4inch screens. Given variations of it will run from 1 to 13 inches. 

Oddly one of thingsit needs at all sizes is to work like it's only thumb sweep from a corner. Like the Watch. 
    It's probably more a matter of developers not wanting to try and fit their apps into smaller spaces now that they've gotten used to bigger ones. Otherwise, I agree.
    Plus, there seemed to be a lot of emphasis on the $250 there... but that's not because of it being an SE (form-factor), but because it's getting too old to be sold at full-prices. If they made a new one with updated chips, the price could certainly go up. For some of us, it could actually go up to iPhone XR or higher pricing, if it had equivalent tech inside.