Abode unveils second-gen smarthome gateway with future Apple HomeKit support

Posted:
in iPhone
Abode on Monday launched its second-generation smarthome gateway, with the promise that Apple HomeKit support is coming "soon."

Abode Gen 2 gateway

The product acts as a bridge hub for multiple smarthome platforms, currently including Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Zigbee, Z-Wave Plus, and abodeRF. It also offers IFTTT Web applet compatibility, and direct support for accessories by Ecobee, Nest, LIFX, and Philips.

The hardware is primarily security-oriented though, with features like a 93-decibel siren and a backup battery to keep security going. A free cloud plan saves three days' worth of history for free over Wi-Fi, but Abode also sells $10 and $30 monthly plans with 14- and 90-day histories, and other perks like cellular backup. The $30 plan additionally bundles professional monitoring and "premium" phone support.

"On the HomeKit front, Abode is 100 percent committed to bringing that functionality to users across our entire ecosystem of products and plan to have additional news to announce soon," Abode CEO Chris Carney said in a press release. As far back as the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show, the company showed off an Iota gateway/camera hybrid with HomeKit integration.

The company's first- and second-gen general-purpose gateways will get HomeKit by way of firmware updates. However, no date for the firmware update has been provided.

Abode Essentials Starter Kit

First-gen owners can upgrade to the new hardware for $199. Otherwise it has to be bought as part of a $279 kit including a door/window sensor, a motion sensor, and a single key fob for arming and disarming.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    What’s next? Salesforce is going to announce a paving company, Dropbox will be making home deliveries and Uber will be staring a chain of oils changing companies? 
    boxcatcher
  • Reply 2 of 8
    bulk001 said:
    What’s next? Salesforce is going to announce a paving company, Dropbox will be making home deliveries and Uber will be staring a chain of oils changing companies? 
    Maybe Amazon can take a crack at a hip smartphone! ;)
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bulk001 said:
    Not sure if you're misunderstanding for comic effect, but this is a company called 'Abode'. Not 'Adobe' - makers of Photoshop.

Or maybe the joke just went right over my head...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    bulk001 said:
    I'm guessing you misread the company as being Adobe, the software company. This company is ABODE. I made the same mistake a couple months ago when I first read of their security system. 
    :smile: 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Yep. I read 'Adobe'. (all the way through).
    In my defense, I was reading with my head laying sideways on a pillow.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    "Abode"? That's a mess up brand name. Probably intentionally. There must be "Aqqle" brand out there somewhere.
    rainmaker
  • Reply 7 of 8
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Abode is a noun, meaning home or residence. That it is similar to Adobe, meaning sun-dried bricks made from mud is coincidental. Also, naming a company that makes photo software after mud bricks is messed up.
    gatorguyravnorodom
  • Reply 8 of 8
    [deleted] already posted
    edited January 2019