Microsoft suggests shift to iPhone as Windows 10 Mobile end of support date announced

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    jungmark said:
    They should roll out Balmer for a mock funeral. 
    Pretty ironic how Microsoft was so arrogant that they had a mock funeral for the iPhone and now look at them. Microsoft got caught with their pants down when iPhone arrived in 2007 and didn't react near fast enough. They were so convinced that Apple's strategy wouldn't work and nobody would want a phone without a physical keyboard. 
    Paymonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30

Sorry couldn’t resist :) This is for all the Windows phone lovers
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    macxpress said:
    jungmark said:
    Pretty ironic how Microsoft was so arrogant that they had a mock funeral for the iPhone and now look at them. Microsoft got caught with their pants down when iPhone arrived in 2007 and didn't react near fast enough. They were so convinced that Apple's strategy wouldn't work and nobody would want a phone without a physical keyboard. 
    That's been pretty standard for them for years. They missed a lot of stuff, only to play catch up later, but it looks like they're not pulling back from this one. Usually, Windows is what saves them, by bundling everything with it, but now Windows is "free" and there isn't really a way to bundle mobile OSes with PC OSes, they can't do anything about it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    sflocal said:
    Bad news for the 5 people using this iKnockoff.
    Please enlighten us about how Microsoft copied the iPhone?  Android is obvious, but at least Microsoft made its own phone from the ground up with its own OS.  Have you ever even tried one?  I actually preferred it over that iOS-knockoff Android any day.  Microsoft simply had zero clue how to compete in the mobile arena.
    Yes, I HAD one before iPhone was even shown.

Once they rebranded as "Windows Phone" they stole the iPhone design like 99% of the industry.

The original was well, more original.

And yes the software had some Microsoft uniqueness to it like tiles.
    Windows phone is NOT WindowsCE, which I had two of and they were absolutely horrible.

We are all referring to the most recent mobile OS which I thought was superior to Android.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30

It obviously won't make a dent in either Microsoft's books if the last few users stop using Windows Phone, or in Apple's and other Android manufacturers' books if those users joined the fold.

Windows Phone was a rounding error's rounding error.

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    vukasika said:
    At th risk of getting flamed. I don't think Windows is finished with the mobile world just finished with the Windows Mobile platform. Processors are getting smaller and smaller.  Full blown Windows running on ARMs. Screens thinner and flexible. Hell, think about how beast the current iPad Pro is right now. Its only a matter of time before one of those amazing concept photos of a trifold slate that goes from being a phone to a decent size table becomes a reality.  I think Microsoft is taking a step back from a floundering platform to get prepped for the next wave.Time will tell, but I think competition in the mobile tech marketplace is good for all of us.
    Breaking into the market now with a new device is pure hell. You need to have everything that is available now and have a 3-5 year roadmap, and bring something new/exciting/different to the table. Looking at Apple and all of the Android manufacturers, that is already incredibly hard and next to impossible. Microsoft could differentiate on price, as the $1.200 phone market is probably not sustainable. Microsoft conceding the browser to Chrome is telltale sign of a company that is going to be ruthless again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

I remember my Apple hater friend(who thinks he's the smartest person in the world) praised Windows Phones for intergrating XBox Live accounts.

Seriously though, Microsoft can still support and develop new phones even with 1% marketshare. They waved the white flag back when they had something like 5% marketshare. Apple never folded under this kind of pressure. Shows how feeble these companies really are.
    Couple of points:
    1. Since when did Windows phones become knock offs?
    2. Apple never gave up with 5% market share - true. But why would they give up when they have the most valuable TOP 5% of the market? And why shouldn't Microsoft give up when they had the least valuable bottom 5% of the market? 
    1. When they stopped making original Windows Phones and started making iPhone ripoffs like android.

2. How is this relevant to anything. Goal post moving much?

1. Any specific examples?

2. I asked a question relevant to the point, that was mentioned by you "Apple didn't give up with 5% market share, but Microsoft did". What is wrong in providing a context under which they took the decisions that they had to? Windows Phone was just NOT financially viable to persist with for Microsoft. Apple has also abandoned products which were financially NOT viable. This specific criticism of Microsoft was unfair IMHO, as far as I am concerned.

1. Yeah just look up old Windows Mobile phones. I owned one and it was a beast before iPhone came and destroyed everyone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    vonbrick said:
    MplsP said:
    The headline is not really accurate. According to the article, Microsoft suggests "customers move to a supported Android or iOS device." Not quite 'suggesting shifting to iPhone.'

I've never used a Windows phone but from what I read, it was a reasonable operating system. MS just came to the game too late, after the iOS and Android ecosystems were well developed and entrenched. It would have been a rough hill for them to climb no matter how good they were. The end of support is to be expected since they announced that they were stopping development a year and a half ago.
    You must be new around AppleInsider. Remember: 1) Any competitor or competing device is inferior in every way. 2) Any other thing is a copy/knockoff/‘feeble attempt’ of something Apple has already done well or will do in the future (phones, tablets, toasters, toilets, etc). 3) Simply mentioning Android without pissing on them means you’re an Android ‘fanboi’. Thanks for understanding how things work at AppleInsider. ;)

BTW...I meant this to be a response to Sflocal who challenged AppleExposed.
    Wasn't a challenge at all.

Call a knockoff a knockoff. Sugarcoating and giving passes to everyone but Apple doesn't change history.

Don't you think it odd that every website online can bash Apple all day but a sprinkle of truth on AppleInsider brings out the haters in full force and label everyone "iSheeps" or some other irrelevant insult?

You must be one of those who believes Samsung develops iPhone parts. I actually had an iKnockoff Knight tell me Samsung had invented the iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 30
    sflocal said:
    sflocal said:
    Please enlighten us about how Microsoft copied the iPhone?  Android is obvious, but at least Microsoft made its own phone from the ground up with its own OS.  Have you ever even tried one?  I actually preferred it over that iOS-knockoff Android any day.  Microsoft simply had zero clue how to compete in the mobile arena.
    Yes, I HAD one before iPhone was even shown.

Once they rebranded as "Windows Phone" they stole the iPhone design like 99% of the industry.

The original was well, more original.

And yes the software had some Microsoft uniqueness to it like tiles.
    Windows phone is NOT WindowsCE, which I had two of and they were absolutely horrible.

We are all referring to the most recent mobile OS which I thought was superior to Android.
    I was talking about the OS right before "Phone".

Windows Mobile was way way more successful than their iKnockoffs.

At least they were original.

macxpress said:
    jungmark said:

The problem was, they thought their Windows marketshare would translate to everything else.

At the time it seemed logical. Copy Apple=More marketshare. It had worked historically.

Paymon said:

Sorry couldn’t resist :) This is for all the Windows phone lovers

It never gets old:

"Which doesn't make it a good email machine".

Apple was so far ahead of Microsoft.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 30
    vonbrick said:
    MplsP said:
    The headline is not really accurate. According to the article, Microsoft suggests "customers move to a supported Android or iOS device." Not quite 'suggesting shifting to iPhone.'

I've never used a Windows phone but from what I read, it was a reasonable operating system. MS just came to the game too late, after the iOS and Android ecosystems were well developed and entrenched. It would have been a rough hill for them to climb no matter how good they were. The end of support is to be expected since they announced that they were stopping development a year and a half ago.
    You must be new around AppleInsider. Remember: 1) Any competitor or competing device is inferior in every way. 2) Any other thing is a copy/knockoff/‘feeble attempt’ of something Apple has already done well or will do in the future (phones, tablets, toasters, toilets, etc). 3) Simply mentioning Android without pissing on them means you’re an Android ‘fanboi’. Thanks for understanding how things work at AppleInsider. ;)

BTW...I meant this to be a response to Sflocal who challenged AppleExposed.
    Wasn't a challenge at all.

Call a knockoff a knockoff. Sugarcoating and giving passes to everyone but Apple doesn't change history.

Don't you think it odd that every website online can bash Apple all day but a sprinkle of truth on AppleInsider brings out the haters in full force and label everyone "iSheeps" or some other irrelevant insult?

You must be one of those who believes Samsung develops iPhone parts. I actually had an iKnockoff Knight tell me Samsung had invented the iPhone.
    I know that it’s been a few days, but let me bring it back around:  The story here’s was about Windows Phone which looked nothing like iPhone or Android.  It doesn’t make Windows Phone any less dead but you’re trying WAY too hard, Cap’n.

And EVERY other website is bashing Apple?  Like, all of ‘em?!  GOODNESS!  That’s a lot of Apple bashing, indeed. #SpewingHyperboleForFunAndProfit