Apple Pay coming to all 1,850 US Target locations, 7,000 Taco Bell restaurants

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited January 2019
Target has finally caved and will start accepting Apple Pay at retail very soon, alongside other major U.S. locations like Taco Bell and Hy-Vee.

Apple Pay-compatible POS terminal with Discover card payment
Apple Pay-compatible POS terminal with Discover card payment

Apple Pay is rolling out now in Target's retail stores and will be available in all 1,850 locations across the U.S. in the coming weeks. Customers can use Apple Pay now at more than 245 Hy-Vee stores in the Midwest and inside the store at all of Speedway's approximately 3,000 locations across the Midwest, East Coast and Southeast.

Apple Pay on the Web has been available at Target.com for some time. Testing at retail appears to have started in November 2018.

Apple Pay is also rolling out to more than 7,000 Taco Bell and 2,200 Jack in the Box locations in the next few months.

"Whether customers are buying everyday household items, groceries, snacks for a road trip or grabbing a quick meal, Apple Pay is the easiest way to pay in stores, while also being secure and faster than using a credit or debit card at the register," said Apple's vice president of Internet ServicesJennifer Bailey. "We're thrilled even more customers will be able to pay at their favorite stores and restaurants using the Apple devices that are always with them."

With the addition of these retailers, 74 of the top 100 merchants in the U.S. and 65 percent of all retail locations across the country will support Apple Pay.

Target's decision to support Apple Pay could be considered an admission of failure to take on Apple with its own payments platform.

The retail chain introduced its "Wallet" mobile payments platform in December 2017 as a way for customers to pay using their mobile devices. Using QR codes, the system allowed customers to provision Target REDcards on their device, which could be scanned at the checkout.

Target was joined by Walmart in favoring an earlier payment technology developed by the Merchant Customer Exchange consortium, which counts both chains as founding members. The result, CurrentC, was touted as an Apple Pay competitor, but the project died in June 2016 before being sold to JPMorgan Chase the following year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    It's about time. Hopefully Walmart will jump in the bandwagon also, as I shop there far more often than TGT. Using it at Taco Bell is a minor convenience for me. I always use it at MCD which is one of the reasons why I always go there.
    caladanianlostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 38
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    What I want to see Apple target is online payment of utilities. Many use a service called Bill Matrix which charges outrageous fees for you to be able to use your Check Card/ Debit Card. I paid Entergy (my electric utility) yesterday and Bill Matrix charged $2.95 just to process the transaction. CenterPoint Energy (my gas company) does the same.

In 2019 it should not cost that kind of fee to process a debit card. Since these are utilities you really do not have a choice for online payment unless you want to enter your checking account and give them automatic draft permission.
    gilly33netmagelostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Where-ever available, I use Apple Pay. Secure and convenient.
    supadav03StrangeDaysnetroxcaladanianlostkiwidavgreg
  • Reply 4 of 38
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    Glad to hear it. It’s about time. Walmart next. 
    edited January 2019 netmagelostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Good to see this news. I had a big aversion to walmart pay I think it’s been tweaked since it was introduced and I only use it now. Just pull up the app and scan the qr code and you’re good to go. Obviously I would like Apple Pay there but for the time being it’s fine. Works pretty seaminglessly. I just scan the qr code as the worker is scanning. 
  • Reply 6 of 38
    tzterritzterri Posts: 110member
    I canceled my Target Redcard after missing a payment and getting hit with a big late fee due to missing a bill buried in an avalanche of spam from them. It's the only late payment in my credit history in over a decade and was twice as much as what I actually owed. Got to say I love how quick, convenient, and fast paying with my AppleWatch is.
    netrox
  • Reply 7 of 38
    How about Home Depot and Lowe’s 
    MplsPnetmageStrangeDaysSpamSandwichcheesehead davepatchythepiratelostkiwidavgreg
  • Reply 8 of 38
    I'm very curious if Target will integrate this with their own two RedCard programs. They have a regular branded MasterCard and a separate RedCard which directly debits from your checking account. With either of those payment methods, you get an additional 5 percent off your purchase. My wife and I use our RedCard at Target all the time, and it is integrated into their iPhone app along with their Cartwheel discount program. The cashier simply scans one barcode on my phone or AppleWatch and boom, it does it all. Does the Cartwheel discounts, the 5 percent RedCard discount, any other e-coupons, any gift cards I've added to my phone, and done in a few seconds.

If they can make that all work with ApplePay, even better. But I will say it's very slick the way it is at Target.

And no, I have no connection to Target other than a satisfied customer who is trying to get them to build a store near my house.
    netmagerandominternetpersonmike1caladanian
  • Reply 9 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    This is awesome. We do almost all of our routine shopping at Target and HyVee. The Target app QR system did work well, so it was less of an issue there, but Apple Pay is still more convenient. I assume we’ll be able to add our Target card to Apple Pay. Wince we get a 5% discount with it, using a regular credit card there makes no sense.

My big complaint with ApplePay is not the system, rather that it’s often poorly marked and still has spotty enough availability that I’m often dont know whether it’s accepted at a merchant.

Another big plus with ApplePay is that you dont’ have to re-enter the data if you have to replace your card.

tzterri said:
    I canceled my Target Redcard after missing a payment and getting hit with a big late fee due to missing a bill buried in an avalanche of spam from them. It's the only late payment in my credit history in over a decade and was twice as much as what I actually owed. Got to say I love how quick, convenient, and fast paying with my AppleWatch is.
    Not sure how that’s Target’s fault - it’s really no different than any other retailer or card. Tou can set your marketing e-mail preferences to reduce/avoid the spam and you can also set your account to automatically pay the minimium amount each month so you don’t  miss a bill. Relying on an email to remind you to make a payment doesn’t seem like the best system, to be honest. 

I have all my cards set up that way and I avoid using accounts that won’t let me do it. You still get an interest charge, but at least you don’t get hit with a late payment fee.
    edited January 2019 netmage
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Awesome news. Target was one of the last hold outs that I shop at regularly. Now if I can just get Apple Pay at Publix I’d be all set. (Don’t Cate if it ever comes to Wal-Mart. Wouldn’t shop there if it was free.)
    cornchipnetroxlostkiwi
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Finally, Target CEO stops being 'stupid!' :)

Chalk one up for Apple's 'Privacy' stance! :)

Best.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    andyring said:
    I'm very curious if Target will integrate this with their own two RedCard programs. They have a regular branded MasterCard and a separate RedCard which directly debits from your checking account. With either of those payment methods, you get an additional 5 percent off your purchase. My wife and I use our RedCard at Target all the time, and it is integrated into their iPhone app along with their Cartwheel discount program. The cashier simply scans one barcode on my phone or AppleWatch and boom, it does it all. Does the Cartwheel discounts, the 5 percent RedCard discount, any other e-coupons, any gift cards I've added to my phone, and done in a few seconds.

If they can make that all work with ApplePay, even better. But I will say it's very slick the way it is at Target.

And no, I have no connection to Target other than a satisfied customer who is trying to get them to build a store near my house.
    Yes I was wondering if they would add their RedCard support to Apple Pay.  Makes sense that they would.  I use that card all the time at Target.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 13 of 38
    davgreg said:
    What I want to see Apple target is online payment of utilities. Many use a service called Bill Matrix which charges outrageous fees for you to be able to use your Check Card/ Debit Card. I paid Entergy (my electric utility) yesterday and Bill Matrix charged $2.95 just to process the transaction.
    Mine does also, but I found a solution. I just pay $1000 at time and then the $3.50 charge is somewhat meaningless. And, I get my points on my card.
    netmage
  • Reply 14 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    davgreg said:
    What I want to see Apple target is online payment of utilities. Many use a service called Bill Matrix which charges outrageous fees for you to be able to use your Check Card/ Debit Card. I paid Entergy (my electric utility) yesterday and Bill Matrix charged $2.95 just to process the transaction.
    Mine does also, but I found a solution. I just pay $1000 at time and then the $3.50 charge is somewhat meaningless. And, I get my points on my card.
    Credit cards have transaction or swipe fees associated with them. Merchants eat these costs(although many put a minimum purchase amount on card transactions,) but utilities don’t. In the case of many government agencies they are required to pass on this fee. 
  • Reply 15 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    andyring said:

Just tried to add my Red Card (credit) and it wasn't supported yet. Hopefully, TD Bank and Target  will add support soon.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    It's pretty strange that it took Target this long to finally support Apple Pay in their Stores!!!! Target has Supported Apple Pay since day 1 for Online Shopping. So it's good see see them finally cave. Same goes for Taco Bell and Jack on the box. The more places the better. Wal-Mart is going to be the last holdout. They are going to stick with their QR codes for as long as they can.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 17 of 38
    mike1 said:
    andyring said:

Just tried to add my Red Card (credit) and it wasn't supported yet. Hopefully, TD Bank and Target  will add support soon.
    Keep your fingers crossed. TD Bank started supporting Apple Pay on their own branded cards years ago.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    jackdain said:
    How about Home Depot and Lowe’s 
    It did work at Home Depot and they killed it, but they said Apple Pay was going to come back. This was 2015 I think. Let me look that up. Yep,.. So what happened? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-05/home-depot-to-become-largest-retailer-to-accept-apple-pay
    caladanian
  • Reply 19 of 38
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Love Apple Pay. It's one of those technologies that is surprisingly convenient, especially because those PIN cards are so, so finicky. I was waiting in line behind a person paying with it, and it was like an Apple commercial. First they put it in and pulled it out too fast, but the cashier didn't notice, so she just tried it again, and it wouldn't work, then she tried another card, but it was stripe only, and on and on. Not usual, but after that the cashier told me that Apple Pay is noticeably faster in just about every case.
    caladanian
  • Reply 20 of 38

jbdragon said:
    It's pretty strange that it took Target this long to finally support Apple Pay in their Stores!!!! Target has Supported Apple Pay since day 1 for Online Shopping. So it's good see see them finally cave. Same goes for Taco Bell and Jack on the box. The more places the better. Wal-Mart is going to be the last holdout. They are going to stick with their QR codes for as long as they can.
    I haven't been in Target for quite a while. The payment terminal has to support contactless payments to also allow Apple Pay to function. So the company will face the cost of getting new terminals for all their checkouts. Aldi's is one of the companies that started accepting Apple Pay months ago, and a store I go to when I pop across the border to Niagara Falls, NY. for some shopping.

Being Canadian, I use Apple Pay almost everywhere here. If people think there must be a sign or sticker indicating Apple Pay accepted, they are wrong. All it takes is the store having a contactless terminal. Those terminals also support tapping your chip credit card, if YOUR card also allows contactless.
    caladanianlostkiwi