Apple's AirPower again rumored to launch in 2019

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2020
Backing up rumors that Apple's long delayed AirPower wireless charging mat has entered mass manufacturing, a report on Tuesday claims the device is in production ahead of a launch date sometime in 2019.

AirPower

Citing sources with knowledge of Apple's supply chain, DigiTimes says wireless chip manufacturers are expecting a boost in parts orders when AirPower becomes available later this year.

The report claims Lite-On Semiconductor began shipping glass passivated package (GPP) bridge rectifiers for use in the assembly of finalized AirPower units more than a year ago. Orders for the component remain "insignificant" but steady, though volumes are expected to greatly increase later this year when the device goes up for sale, sources said.

DigiTimes has in the past provided reliable information on parts delivery timelines pertaining to specific Asian suppliers, but the publication has a mixed track record when it comes to Apple's product wider launch plans. As such, AppleInsider is unable to vouch for the veracity of today's report.

The new information lines up with a recent rumor claiming existing Apple supplier Luxshare Precision initiated AirPower production in early January. Exact details of the production run, including when the device will hit store shelves and in what quantities, remains unknown.

Apple announced AirPower alongside iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X in 2017, marketing the device as an all-in-one power delivery solution for the company's portable products. The wireless charger incorporates in-house developed technology that enables simultaneous charging of multiple devices including Qi-compliant iPhones, Apple Watch and an as-yet-unreleased AirPods wireless charging case.

Expected to launch with iPhone XS and XR last year, AirPower ultimately missed a slated 2018 release. Rumors at the time pinned the delay on unforeseen heat and interference issues.

Apple has remained mum on the product's fate and the company scrubbed nearly all mention of AirPower from its website last September following its annual iPhone event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    A charging mat.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    It's a little thing, but once you've tried just laying your devices down at night to charge, you'll never want to go back to fiddling with cables!

Best.
    StrangeDayspatchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 10
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    1. Allow an internal battery so we can use AirPower anywhere wirelessly.

2. Rename it AirPad.

Then I will be interested in such device.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Fascinating that it was announced in September 2017(?) and we're still waiting.
    caladanian
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I'm using a Belkin Boost Up which charges my watch and phone simultaneously. If Apple ever releases a wireless AirPods case, I'd consider AirPower, except, I use Apple's stainless steel watchband with a butterfly clasp, so there is  no way to lay it flat on the pad without taking off the band.  The Boost Up has a USB port where you could probably plug in a small Qi pad for the air pods. I'd be more likely to take that route.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    1. Allow an internal battery so we can use AirPower anywhere wirelessly.

2. Rename it AirPad.

Then I will be interested in such device.
    No. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Vapourpower.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Don't even want it any more. A stand is way better than a pad. I can leave my iPhone screen on and watch video while it charges. I bet you can buy a stand for every one of your wireless charging devices for less money than this pad will cost.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Don't even want it any more. A stand is way better than a pad. I can leave my iPhone screen on and watch video while it charges. I bet you can buy a stand for every one of your wireless charging devices for less money than this pad will cost.
    Disagree. When I travel I want to bring one cable, one mat, and toss my daily devices onto it when I go to sleep, then grab and it go when I leave the room for the day. At home I could even set it up somewhere (kitchen or foyer next to the keys) and toss stuff on it when I get home. Plugging in "stands" doesnt fit the use cases of mats. 
    christopher126
  • Reply 10 of 10
    It's a little thing, but once you've tried just laying your devices down at night to charge, you'll never want to go back to fiddling with cables!

Best.
    Does it not bother you that it needs to be on there just right? That's why I'm so excited and hopeful about AirPower. I don't want to have to worry at night that my phone got knocked off the specific charging area and the alarm won't go off.