Apple says the iPhone is a valuable readiness aid in a world impacted by climate change

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77

tbsteph said:
    It's all a moot point. According to our favorite NY congresswoman the world will end in 12 years anyway. 
    Oh, do you mean the that scares the established power bases with her....dancing? And not all the ones that believe in a sky daddy, angels, demons, the world being created in 6 days just a few thousand years ago, and that a man built a giant boat filled with two of every single land creature including dinosaurs (yet oddly never mentioned in the bible)? Please clarify.
    fastasleeptmay
  • Reply 22 of 77
    DAalseth said:
    normang said:
    Climate constantly changes, to think we can actually have any impact on significantly altering the climate is the height of arrogance. It's been warmer in the past than today and its been cooler, we know this..... but somehow altering a carbon footprint is going to save us? This is not to say that we should not try and be prudent in the use of resources, but the proposed changes all mandate government control of your life and all that will do is make things worse for people, not better.
    Human caused climate change is a fact. I've been following the subject for 40 years and the only constant is we keep underestimating people's impact. I will leave it to you to explain to your grandchildren why you didn't do anything.
    No offense but that's nonsense. Look at all the scientists that were feeding Al Gore with all this misinformation. Just because science says it doesn't mean it's right. Scientists have constantly been proven wrong. Gore talked about polar bears dying in his documentary and scientists said they would. They were all wrong. The polar bear population keeps increasing and they are showing they can adapt with less ice. I'm not going to disagree that humans have caused a ton of damage to earth, but all these claims it's mostly humans are nonsense. Glaciers melting, warming oceans, ice sheets shrinking, etc is nothing new. Another huge natural factor that has caused drastic climate changes in the past are shifts in Earth's orbital tilt. That's happening now. There is no proven science that accurately will say how much greenhouse emissions the world needs to reduce or if its even possible to make a difference at this point. Natural carbon emissions are a lot more than what humans create. 
    Cool pet theories dude, but not the ones actual climate scientists agree on. Science uses observable evidence to build theories to explain facts, but the facts themselves don’t change — the earth is warming, ice caps melting, greenhouse gases are increasing. the arguments that it’s MMGW are agreed on, unless one is a conservative. Over a century of factories, exhausts, cattle ranches, etc...the gasses have to go somewhere. They cannot escape the atmosphere.
    fastasleeproundaboutnowbb-15
  • Reply 23 of 77
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    DAalseth said:
    normang said:
    Climate constantly changes, to think we can actually have any impact on significantly altering the climate is the height of arrogance. It's been warmer in the past than today and its been cooler, we know this..... but somehow altering a carbon footprint is going to save us? This is not to say that we should not try and be prudent in the use of resources, but the proposed changes all mandate government control of your life and all that will do is make things worse for people, not better.
    Human caused climate change is a fact. I've been following the subject for 40 years and the only constant is we keep underestimating people's impact. I will leave it to you to explain to your grandchildren why you didn't do anything.
    Even if the US completely stopped outputting CO2 today,  developing countries like China and India are just getting started. You can fret all you like but nothing is going to change anytime soon. I would love to buy a Tesla model 3 if it didn’t cost 44,000 dollars. Those of us who live in the northeast can’t ride our bikes all year long. Public transportation in my city is pretty limited.
    If solar power can be made cheaper I would look into it but for now it’s out of reach, for me at least. 
    edited January 2019 patchythepirate
  • Reply 24 of 77
    tbsteph said:
    It's all a moot point. According to our favorite NY congresswoman the world will end in 12 years anyway. 
    Nobody has said that, and certainly not AOC. If you’re going to deny reality, at least try to be intellectually honest while doing so. 
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 25 of 77
    hexclock said:
    DAalseth said:
    normang said:
    Even if the US completely stopped outputting CO2 today,  developing countries like China and India are just getting started. You can fret all you like but nothing is going to change anytime soon. I would love to buy a Tesla model 3 if it didn’t cost 44,000 dollars. Those of us who live in the northeast can’t ride our bikes all year long. Public transportation in my city is pretty limited.
    If solar power can be made cheaper I would look into it but for now it’s out of reach, for me at least. 
    So because you personally can’t buy an electric car, nothing should be done by anyone? You think maybe industrial polluters might have a larger impact than individuals? Or because other countries are outputting CO2, no other countries should reduce emissions? What kind of logic is that? 

I swear, the anti-science types like those on this forum will be the literal death of us all as a society. Bet some of you were convinced when Jim Inhofe brought that snowball into congress. Fucking infuriating.

propod
  • Reply 26 of 77
    ...it seems the dialogue has moved from mitigation to adaptation (resilience) and so what does that say... ?

I chose to stop flying in 1998 and I really don't miss it.  I feel so much better just eating plants, too.

Aside from current temporary accommodations I'm running at roughly 'one earth' according to a credible calculator.

To me departure from so much of the status quo has been utterly liberating.

Some Westerners I know who seem to care are actually redesigning their lives to live within earthly means.

One can doubt science being right or wrong, and yet, what if science is right - do we really want to 'bet the farm' so to speak?

If interested try searching solar panels, toxic waste and China...
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 27 of 77
    HighCollideHighCollide Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    I read the report. Apple is so Green i love them. That’s why i’m so loyal to their iphones & causes. 
    bb-15propod
  • Reply 28 of 77
    normangnormang Posts: 118member
    sumergo said:
    normang said:
    I don't know how old you are Normang, but I suspect you may be young enough to regret your "it's not human caused climate change, the government is the problem (certainly not me)" comments.

Check out this review.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/10/william-vollmann-carbon-ideologies/568309/. If you like read the book.  Warning: It will need a little attention span.

Unfortunately Vollmann is wrong - his future readers won't even be able to eat insects . . .
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2018/10/15/hyperalarming-study-shows-massive-insect-loss/?utm_term=.9c0cbc5861b4
    I don't have to check out the mainstream media articles that are nothing but fiction..  If you haven't figured that out yet, I really feel sorry for you..

Plus there is nothing to regret..  If we could really actually alter the climate in any meaningful way, other than telling you how to run your life and return to the stone age, which is going to be far worse than any climate calamity.   Look at these saviors fo the world flying thousand of personal jets to Davos, there is an good example of saving the planet right?  Get real... get your head out of the sand for one minute and think of any action on any scale that will stop a tornado or hurricane or any other natural activity just isn't going to happen...
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 29 of 77
    tbornottbornot Posts: 116member
    The US pulled out of the Paris Accords, but made our numbers. China, a signatory, blew past their numbers so bad the enviros are alarmed.  So, go complain to the Chinese.  Oh, wait, you mean you can’t, you’ll be arrested?  Hmmm.,.
    cornchippatchythepirate
  • Reply 30 of 77
    The people in Paradise, CA could have used an early warning to evacuate but there is no way to do that currently, If Apple wants to do something to actually help people deal with environmental disasters, perhaps a world wide local emergency alert system would be a good start. Make sure it can be used by people who have Android phones as well.
    Well the utility company did get the wind reports, that are damn near annual events. They should have de-energized their lines or performed better maintenance to better reduce or eliminate the risk to their infrastructure. Now they are bankrupt from the ensuing civil lawsuits and potentially criminal lawsuits.  Oh, and a lot of people died. 
  • Reply 31 of 77
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    Some facts about global warming/climate change; In the 15 year time period from 1975, 1990 was warmer than 1975 (using NASA data). Same is true that 1991 was warmer than 1976. Every year after that up to this year, it was warmer than 15 years before. That is a steady warming trend year after year for 43 years. 
    - According to the vast majority of climate scientists, the fundamental cause of this warming trend is greenhouse gas emissions due to human activity.
    Links to NASA global temperature charts. 

An objection to actions to reduce global warming are often strawman arguments. 
    1. The economy will not collapse. 
    Several wealthy nations have taken strong actions to combat global warming such as Belgium, the UK, Sweden and France. 
    2. The economy will only have needed controls. 
    Many sectors of the US economy have had government controls. For instance in agriculture there is a long history of US government farm supports long accepted by farmers.

The airline industry has many regulations. 
    3. Hypocrisy; wealthy people can be hypocrites no matter what their politics. 
    Right wing slogans; such as balance the federal budget or stop illegal immigration have been worthless in practice.  

Wealthy people can want their rich life style. They will often not practice what they preach. 
    - That doesn’t mean that the ideas they promote are bad ones. 
    Slowing the budget deficit is a good idea. So, is reforming immigration in the US.

* Combating global warming/climate change is a worthy cause. 
    Ed Begley Jr. has a very strong environmental record. Not all wealthy environmentalists are hypocrites. 
  • Reply 32 of 77
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    hexclock said:
    DAalseth said:
    normang said:
    So because you personally can’t buy an electric car, nothing should be done by anyone? You think maybe industrial polluters might have a larger impact than individuals? Or because other countries are outputting CO2, no other countries should reduce emissions? What kind of logic is that? 

I swear, the anti-science types like those on this forum will be the literal death of us all as a society. Bet some of you were convinced when Jim Inhofe brought that snowball into congress. Fucking infuriating.

You are putting words into my mouth. I didn’t say nothing should be done. I also didn’t say that the science is wrong. What I did say was that that I cannot personally save the world, not can we, as Americans, force all developed countries change themselves to fit the situation. My point was that human behavior won’t change overnight, no matter how some wish it to. I was also trying to keep the name calling and politics out of the discussion. 

edited January 2019 cornchippatchythepirate
  • Reply 33 of 77
    hexclock said:
    DAalseth said:
    normang said:
    No-one can do everything to solve climate change but that doesn't mean you can't do something - it doesn't need to be all or nothing. Something you could start today is eat less meat. You don't need to become a vegetarian but go meat free a couple of days a week is a start. Next time you replace a light bulb, get an LED. If you have a bike and you can ride it for a few months a year, do that. Check if there are any electricity providers that use renewables for generation. Put an extra layer on and turn the heating down. Drive a little slower. Next time you buy an appliance, look at its energy rating. Sell some stuff and buy something second hand. These are all things that can save you money too - one day it might help you afford that electric car or solar panels. The more we do to shift to a sustainable economy, the easier it becomes - we're at a point now where solar PV, LEDs, and electric cars are all competitive or better than the old less efficient versions of themselves.
    propodmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 77
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    normang said:
    Quite right. Those who support authoritarian government love the idea that by fleecing taxpayers their pet projects can get funding and they can arbitrarily restrain the population. Total egomania.
    Ideology -- and fairy tales -- are both quite enjoyable.   But, I'll take reality.   It works better.
    muthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 77
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The people in Paradise, CA could have used an early warning to evacuate but there is no way to do that currently, If Apple wants to do something to actually help people deal with environmental disasters, perhaps a world wide local emergency alert system would be a good start. Make sure it can be used by people who have Android phones as well.
    You seem to have no idea how system level disaster preparedness works or what it takes.   Even those intimately experienced with it often are  unable to fathom its complexity:   I was trained and working in Disaster Recovery for the Red Cross when I ran across my old childhood buddy who was working for he CDC in an entirely different aspect of disaster recovery (infectious disease management) which made me realize that, even though my piece of the puzzle was enormous, it was still only a single piece.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 36 of 77
    You do realize that is a huge false equivalency, right?

It's hilarious how AGW believers love to condescendingly shout "science!" at everyone, then use complete ridiculous arguments like this one.

Lets use a slightly more relatable analogy, the weather, which scientists can't reliably predict more than 2 days out. And we're expected to accept that there will be a climate armageddon coming in 60 years? Nope. And on top of that, the models have been wrong over and over.. So, nope again.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 37 of 77
    schafdog said:
    You do realize that this shows that the vast amount of warming and glacial melting happened well before the industrial revolution, right? And that our current temp looks a lot like a correction to earlier, warmer periods, right?

And we're supposed to believe that the numbers magically shot up starting 20 years ago? The progression at the end makes no sense.. unless it's a manifestation of increasing urban heat centers (where most of the thermometers are located, caused by increased heat retention, and decreased albedo), which actually makes a lot more sense, and has been noted to be a complicating factor in global heat measurements.

• Reply 38 of 77
    tbsteph said:
    Nobody has said that, and certainly not AOC. If you’re going to deny reality, at least try to be intellectually honest while doing so. 
    Yes, AOC certainly said that, and when asked about it later, she doubled down on it. Alarmist? Yes. Logical? No.

Her beliefs, and the fact that so many feel she's credible, explains a lot about our current political climate.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 39 of 77
    rwx9901rwx9901 Posts: 100member
    normang said:
    yep.  I'm all about conservation and not treating our planet like a sewer but some people take it to another level that is almost criminal.  I've been hearing about global cooling and global warming since the 70's.  The scare tactics and gloom and doom hysteria just doesn't work on me anymore.  These people have lost all credibility.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 40 of 77
    rwx9901rwx9901 Posts: 100member
    They also were responsible for the Space Shuttle Challenger and Colombia.  No thanks.
    patchythepirate