Australia's largest bank rolls out support for Apple Pay

Posted:
in iOS edited January 2019
After an unsuccessful attempt to boycott Apple Pay in hopes of spurring its own mobile payments solution, Australia's largest bank, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, on Wednesday initiated integration with Apple's product.

Commonwealth Bank Apple Pay

Announced in a post to Commonwealth Bank's official Twitter account, the new service arrives about a month after the institution in December promised support would roll out in January.

The post is accompanied by a video pointing to the many tweets and customer messages that asked the bank to integrate Apple Pay.

"Thanks for all your gentle prompts. We read them all. Now you #CanApplePay," the bank's tweet reads.

Apple's regional Apple Pay webpage confirms Commonwealth as a supported provider.

Commonwealth is the second of Australia's "big four" banks to offer support for Apple Pay following a contentious and collaborative resistance campaign that sought a larger slice of the digital wallet pie.

In 2016, Commonwealth Bank, National Australia Bank and Westpac Banking Corp, along with Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, filed a complaint with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission requesting authorization to collectively negotiate access to Apple Pay NFC technology. Initially seeking a determination that would force Apple to integrate third-party mobile payments software with iPhone hardware, the banks added contingencies that would allow the banks access to iPhone's NFC controller.

For its part, the banking bloc argued the stipulations would foster increased competition and consumer choice, as well as accelerated innovation and investment in the digital wallet space.

The banks requested permission to boycott services like Apple Pay if terms of certain bargaining proposals were not met, but the gambit fell flat in 2017 when the ACCC denied authorization to collectively negotiate.

Australia and New Zealand banking group, better known as ANZ, was not part of the attempt at forced negotiations and became the first "big four" bank to offer Apple Pay in 2016.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    About time CommBank 👍
    magman1979
  • Reply 2 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Welcome to the party, mates.
    iqatedocornchipmagman1979lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 15
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Welcome to the party, mates.
    I'm with a subsidiary that now also accepts Pay. Took minutes to set up, all done. (iPhone & Watch.)
    cornchipmagman1979lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Hell hath only one fury worse than an Apple user scorned! I cancelled my NAB cards and got an ANZ Visa Card instead, just so I could use Apple Pay. I understand that many thousands did the same. Even if NAB follow CBA and come on board, I'm not going back.
    cornchippatchythepiratemagman1979lolliverlaytechlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    spodspod Posts: 30member
    Now when will Westpac get off their ass and join? 30 years with that bank and I am just about over it. I am now at the point where my ANZ account attached to my mortgage is getting all the transactions and I am feeding it from my Westpac accounts. Every day Westpac loses their cut and it goes to ANZ.  At what point will that sink in? 
    cornchipstompymagman1979laytechlostkiwisteveauwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Well I stayed with Commbank hoping they'd get their finger out and join the party and they finally have.

Confirmed my debit Mastercard this morning and have been happily shopping with Apple Pay all day.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I love how Apple Pay is slowly, but surely, crushing + assimilating the holdouts.
    cornchipmagman1979lostkiwisteveauwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    I love how Apple Pay is slowly, but surely, crushing + assimilating the holdouts.
    because it's soooo fuggin easy & convenient. looks like it's hit a tipping point.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Sadly, Westpac bought St George Bank and have been stifling the life out of it ever since. St G used to be a leading innovator and would have been one of the first to adopt something like Apple Pay but still hasn't because of Westpac's greed. Get your sh!t together Westpac and take the shackles off St G!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    And this morning ASB Bank in NZ (wholly owned by CBA) announced it as well 👏

lostkiwisteveauiqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I'm actually happy Apple pay is coming out more an more to the industry an for personal use this is just the beginning for money an coins to be non existent id say bout ten to fifteen years
  • Reply 12 of 15
    steveau said:
    Hell hath only one fury worse than an Apple user scorned! I cancelled my NAB cards and got an ANZ Visa Card instead, just so I could use Apple Pay. I understand that many thousands did the same. Even if NAB follow CBA and come on board, I'm not going back.

Yeah I swapped from Bendigo to ANZ within a week of them announcing support. Even when Bendigo came to the party I didn't swap back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    spod said:
    Now when will Westpac get off their ass and join? 30 years with that bank and I am just about over it. I am now at the point where my ANZ account attached to my mortgage is getting all the transactions and I am feeding it from my Westpac accounts. Every day Westpac loses their cut and it goes to ANZ.  At what point will that sink in? 
    Totally agree. Westpac continue to hold out of sheer greed, showing they careless about what they customers want over profits or whatever else it is they are paranoid about. Hope they get what is coming to them via the Royal Commission....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Haha, they are beginning to cave. Too late Westpac if you do. I won’t be switching back from ANZ If they do come to the party. 

• Reply 15 of 15
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member