iPhone XS Max ranks fourth in DxOMark selfie camera rankings

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2019
DxOMark on Tuesday published its first-ever test rankings for smartphone selfie cameras, putting Apple's top-end phone, the iPhone XS Max, in just fourth place.

iPhone XS Max

The XS Max "produces some of the best still image and video quality" under bright lighting, but does worse than rivals under dim conditions with bad noise and texture, DxO said. The product achieved an overall score of 82, barely avoiding a tie with Samsung's Galaxy S9 Plus.

Surpassing the Max were the Google Pixel 3 and Samsung Galaxy Note9, tied with 92, and the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 at 84. DxO observed that while the Pixel 3 shows superior focus technology, the Note9 generates better color and exposure results.

DxOMark selfie rankings

Most phone makers tend to deemphasize their front-facing cameras, working on the assumption that people shoot far more photos with rear-facing modules. That's in evidence with the XS Max, which for instance has twin 12-megapixel sensors on the rear -- one for wide-angle shots, the other for telephoto -- but a single 7-megapixel sensor on the front.

The XS and XS Max share the same camera technology, the only major differences between the phones being their screen size and resolution.

DxO has yet to rank the iPhone XR. It did however test 2017's iPhone X, assigning it a score of 71, below some other older smartphones such as the Pixel 2 and Galaxy S8.

Apple has long used photo and video quality as selling points, but improvements by Google and Samsung have made it harder to differentiate itself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I still cannot accept “selfie” as a word. It’s for morons and children. “Self-portrait,” sure.
    magman1979
  • Reply 2 of 20
    normangnormang Posts: 118member
    If I recall, DXO has not been overly friendly to Apple in regards to Camera scores, so I take this with a grain of salt.
    magman1979capasicumsilvergold84jony0
  • Reply 3 of 20
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Why not take a self photo with the rear camera, works every time using a timer or just feel lucky trying.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    normang said:
    If I recall, DXO has not been overly friendly to Apple in regards to Camera scores, so I take this with a grain of salt.
    It's never been a reliable source. They were nobody until Google said they were.

There's also suspicion that DXO and Google had a contract behind the scenes.
    magman1979capasicumcornchipStrangeDayssilvergold84
  • Reply 5 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    normang said:
    It's never been a reliable source. They were nobody until Google said they were.

What?? Never reliable until Google said they were? Do you FUD much or just taking advantage of a slow day.
    Heck DxO's rankings of iPhone cameras have been promoted for years by the Apple faithful, and most readers here trusted that ranking.  I didn't but I understand how it's done. Questions about it didn't start seriously here until a Google Pixel took top marks. Then suddenly they were "untrustworthy"?  

Nothing has changed at DxO whether it's an iPhone on top when they said the iPhone 8 had the "best smartphone camera ev'a" a couple years ago, or a Pixel last year "setting a new record for smartphone camera quality!".

They've worked with manufacturers for over 15 years to improve and tune their cameras for best performance, using DxO's "secret recipe". Their first commercial product rolled out in 2003, DxO analyzer and since then they built on it to grow what was a pretty successful business with a good rep (they've now split into different companies), providing both software and consulting services to camera providers. Rankings are just a public display, a promotional benefit for clients. 

They've almost certainly provided consulting and software services to Apple too, just as they have nearly every camera maker whose products have been included in their rankings. That's how Apple got on top in several rankings IMO. It takes more than just good design and engineering. Companies that don't use their services won't get the best test results because their camera's won't be tuned to perform best under DxO's test procedures. DxO for their part would say those procedures are the best way to test, and 100% valid.  Their software just makes it easier for OEM's to get to the sweet spot. 

There are no professional camera guys that I know who accept DxO rankings at face value. They make for a good guide, and the tests do sort good gear from bad gear, but whether you're one, two or three in the pecking order doesn't matter. If you want to promote you have a great camera DxO and their software solution is a good way to start. 

When an iPhone is on top many Apple fans will promote it with "see I told ya so, we're number one!" and when they're not it's because DxO must'a been paid off. Nothing has changed year to year. It's still the same DxO selling camera/lens development and tuning software to make it happen no matter who they award "Best" to.
    edited January 2019 paisleydiscoctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 20
    SpamSandwich said:
    I still cannot accept “selfie” as a word. It’s for morons and children. “Self-portrait,” sure.
    you must be an old person then
  • Reply 7 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    normang said:
    DXO is overly friendly with all the handset makers -- they make their money by selling the maker inside dope on how they test in order to get better results. It's a bullshit test with a fake "number" that is meaningless, regardless of who is the highest bidder in a given year.

I don't know any "Apple faithful" (uh, it's the single-best selling handset in the world, guy, bit beyond the cult trope by now, aren't we?) who believe it's a reliable indicator. Even Apple blogger John Gruber of Daringfireball is quick to point out that it's a bullshit fake.
    edited January 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

gatorguy said:
    normang said:

What?? Never reliable until Google said they were? Do you FUD much or just taking advantage of a slow day.
    Heck DxO's rankings of iPhone cameras have been promoted for years by the Apple faithful, and most readers here trusted that ranking.  I didn't but I understand how it's done. Questions about it didn't start seriously here until a Google Pixel took top marks. Then suddenly they were "untrustworthy"?  

Nothing has changed at DxO whether it's an iPhone on top when they said the iPhone 8 had the "best smartphone camera ev'a" a couple years ago, or a Pixel last year "setting a new record for smartphone camera quality!".

They've worked with manufacturers for over 15 years to improve and tune their cameras for best performance, using DxO's "secret recipe". Their first commercial product rolled out in 2003, DxO analyzer and since then they built on it to grow what was a pretty successful business with a good rep (they've now split into different companies), providing both software and consulting services to camera providers. Rankings are just a public display, a promotional benefit for clients. 

They've almost certainly provided consulting and software services to Apple too, just as they have nearly every camera maker whose products have been included in their rankings. That's how Apple got on top in several rankings IMO. It takes more than just good design and engineering. Companies that don't use their services won't get the best test results because their camera's won't be tuned to perform best under DxO's test procedures. DxO for their part would say those procedures are the best way to test, and 100% valid.  Their software just makes it easier for OEM's to get to the sweet spot. 

There are no professional camera guys that I know who accept DxO rankings at face value. They make for a good guide, and the tests do sort good gear from bad gear, but whether you're one, two or three in the pecking order doesn't matter. If you want to promote you have a great camera DxO and their software solution is a good way to start. 

When an iPhone is one top many Apple fans will promote it with "see I told ya so, we're number one!" and when they're not it's because DxO must'a been paid off. Nothing has changed year to year. It's still the same DxO selling camera/lens development and tuning software to make it happen no matter who they award "Best" to.
    Oh no! He trigged the google guy!
    lamboaudi4
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Whatever...it’s a phone. And a small computer that can do some pretty amazing things. 

There will be a reckoning for the selfie generation, and mental healthcare professionals will be around to reap the benefits. 
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I know huh!?
    And theses darn kids calling it email instead of electronic mail... the nerve! ;)
    fastasleepbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 11 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

gatorguy said:
    normang said:

When an iPhone is one top many Apple fans will promote it with "see I told ya so, we're number one!" and when they're not it's because DxO must'a been paid off. Nothing has changed year to year. It's still the same DxO selling camera/lens development and tuning software to make it happen no matter who they award "Best" to.
    Oh no! He trigged the google guy!
    But you obviously don't disagree with what I had to say since you offered an abridged version of it.

Sorry, not sorry, for hitting a nerve. 
    edited January 2019 ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 20
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    normang said:

Get used to it that iPhone isn't the best anymore in every test. 

Quality is down, price is up. 

Apple should be criticised for that and step on it to get back to where we want it to be.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    jume said:
    normang said:

Apple should be criticised for that and step on it to get back to where we want it to be.
    And the best phone is?  Get used to what?  What are those tests represent for?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Even if Apple doesn’t have the best camera team on Earth, the point is being passable in premium phones.  I don’t think anyone who’s serious about taking shots on phones are going to bragging minor differences, but rather focusing on what you have and improving the techniques.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 15 of 20
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    The iPhone Xs have a special camera. Dxomark always did ridiculously review pro android. If you put the photos on a big screen paying attention at the details on the background also , then you can recognize the better quality of iPhone. Especially the pixel have poor quality of the camera and the software make fake photos . With pixel you loose in details also if appear more light during the night. No comparison . iPhone is the best camera. 
  • Reply 16 of 20
    dt17dt17 Posts: 18member
    DXO does have a standard set of test for phone cameras. But the way they allocated the weight of points are not transparent to most of us and everyone just looks at the overall score

For example, they give way too much score for zoom and how they give scores to AI beautification are not known
  • Reply 17 of 20
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    gatorguy said:
    normang said:

When an iPhone is on top many Apple fans will promote it with "see I told ya so, we're number one!" and when they're not it's because DxO must'a been paid off. Nothing has changed year to year. It's still the same DxO selling camera/lens development and tuning software to make it happen no matter who they award "Best" to.
    Sounds like Google is excelling at computational photography over Apple because they get better programmers.   
  • Reply 18 of 20
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Be honest, I don’t give the f about selfie but rear camera.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    normang said:
    It hasn’t been overtly unfriendly either. Apple’s iPhone cameras usually just lag behind Samsung’s and Google’s offerings in quality. It’s been that way for a few generations of iPhones now. When the 8 Plus first came out, DxO gave it a very high score, which from my experience of that model (I’m posting this comment with it right now) was actually undeserved!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 20
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    jume said:
    normang said:

iPhone XS Max ranks fourth in DxOMark selfie camera rankings

What does price have to do with a f***** selfie camera test?  Where is the rest of quality slip that makes the price not justifiable? 

Most phone makers tend to deemphasize their front-facing cameras, working on the assumption that people shoot far more photos with rear-facing modules. That's in evidence with the XS Max, which for instance has twin 12-megapixel sensors on the rear -- one for wide-angle shots, the other for telephoto -- but a single 7-megapixel sensor on the front.

I can say with total honesty that I do not know a single person that decides what device they will buy using the selfie camera as a gauge of any sort. Wow...