Apple's Tim Cook meets with power brokers at Davos, says education efforts 'for the people...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook is in Davos, Switzerland this week for the annual World Economic Forum, where corporate and political leaders gather to discuss their plans for the future.

Cook speaking to Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan.
Cook speaking to Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan.

On Tuesday Cook met with Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan, according to Apple Must and News.am. It's unknown what the pair discussed, but Apple has relatively little presence in Armenia -- there are no physical Apple stores there, and its local online store is in English. iPhones are sold at Ucom outlets.

Cook also conducted an interview with Germany's Bild, talking education in order to promote the translation of the "Everyone Can Create" curriculum into German.

The CEO reiterated many of Apple's talking points, but did share how his upbringing influenced his attitudes.

"I was born in a very rural lower middle class environment. I loved it and it's great for me but the thing that enabled me to do other things and to be at Apple today is education," he said.

"I had a separate music class and I loved that class, learning to play the trombone. But the other classes that I was taking didn't inherently have creativity embedded in it like the way we see it should be today."

Cook claimed that the company's educational efforts are altruistic, despite the fact that Everyone Can Create relies on iPads and a separate program, "Everyone Can Code," teaches the Apple-created Swift programming language.

"We are doing it for people," he asserted. "If it has an indirect effect on our business that's fine but frankly this is from the heart. This isn't something that I'm saying I expect a return of investment."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Yeah, an elitist meeting another elitists who live in a golden cage away from reality... I miss Steve Jobs.
    doozydozenentropyscornchipdavgregbyronl
  • Reply 2 of 18
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Davos: For The People ™
    entropyscornchipdavgregbyronl
  • Reply 3 of 18
    newvideoaznewvideoaz Posts: 15unconfirmed, member
    Yeah, the people who run massive organizations (whether industries or countries) should NEVER meet with other folk who also have to run similar sized stuff to compare notes. 
    Its MUCH better if they all stay in their silos and face their challenges, cut off from any chance to compare notes.
    Hey, maybe that “stay in your silo” stuff - if it’s so good for institutional governance - would work out good to advance Medicine, Music and Art too!
    JayVeebeowulfschmidtStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 4 of 18
    ThrashmanThrashman Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    Hey Tim pls stop virtue signaling.  Concentrate on making and exceeding rev. Budget.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    The cynicism on several posts today is so thick you could cut it with a knife. What a bleak world you folks inhabit. 
    doozydozenStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Even with meet dine Brazilian President 

It’s differing beliefs coming together to find common ground THATS DIPLOMACY!

doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Tim Cook, get out of the politically correct business and start to make great products again!
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 18
    How does this make Apple a better company Tim (Can't) Cook???

• Reply 9 of 18
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

The new president of Brazil is supposed to be an authoritarian conservative like Trump.    Maybe Apple wants to do more manufacturing there.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Err, unlike Cook, the Brazilian first dude and the orange one were elected.  A minor difference.

But if you want to see true fascism as originally envisaged, it’s the captains of industry getting into bed with politicians. Crony Corporatism.
    Big Government, Big Business, Big Union. All three triumphantly together, in your face.

How did that story go? Ahh, yes 
    You’ll see why 1984 wont be like 1984
    A promising start. Pirate flags over Cupertino etc etc.
    except now it is at risk of becoming

PS:KWestCoast said:

No, it could be all sorts of things, but Cook isn’t a government representative. He is Big Business, not a diplomat. He represents his company at best. He would be negotiating a deal to benefit his interests, which are highly unlikely to intersect with that of the little guy.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 11 of 18
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sacto joe said:
    The cynicism on several posts today is so thick you could cut it with a knife. What a bleak world you folks inhabit. 
    The score so far: 7 miserable left-brained cynics versus 3 with open minds, specifically, functioning right hemispheres.

It’s a psychological disease. I used to think smoking pot would help those imprisoned in their tiny egos, but these types seem to be increasing in number, even though there’s more legal cannabis around.

Maybe Steve Jobs was right — it takes an LSD trip or two. Mushrooms or ayahuasca will do as well, since there’s a shortage of reliable acid.
    cornchipStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Wow, Cook caries his own coat?!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member

I see both sides.... I get what he's saying - that he's not doing it for ROI - but at the same time, it's at the WEF so it kinda comes off as vapid elitism. 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Ah Timmy, Timmy, Timmy. So, your trombone lessons catapulted you to a 'Captain of Industry' did it? Perhaps going back and spending a wee bit of time in your rural origins would be better for you than hobnobbing in Davos. P.S. I'm certain 'It is for the people' Let 'em eat cake...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    k2kw said:

The new president of Brazil is supposed to be an authoritarian conservative like Trump.    Maybe Apple wants to do more manufacturing there.
    Authoritarians don’t make access to arms for self-defense easier, which is just one thing this guy has done so far. That’s a revolutionary act in a historically corrupt and dangerous Leftist country.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    Rcjsf1953 said:
    Tim Cook, get out of the politically correct business and start to make great products again!
    Get real - equal civil rights and better education aren’t PC. The lack of them is one thing holding the country back. 
  • Reply 17 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    bobroo said:
    How does this make Apple a better company Tim (Can't) Cook???
    Tim Can’t? You’re high. Under cook Apple is bigger than ever, more profitable than ever, has had its best stock price, and has the highest consumer satisfaction ratings. It’s impossible to say he isn’t one of the best CEOs of modern history. Sucks for the butthurt, I know...