Apple restocks iPhone SE on clearance site, all models available

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2019
Apple on Wednesday restocked its online clearance store with iPhone SE models, once again offering fans of the popular small form-factor handset a crack at purchasing the device new nearly three years after it first debuted.

iPhone SE

As of this writing, iPhone SE models are available in all four color options -- Space Gray, Silver, Gold and Rose Gold -- in both 32GB and 128GB capacities. The smartphones come unlocked and without a SIM card.

Prices are pegged at $249 for models with 32GB of storage and $299 for 128GB versions, representing respective discounts of $100 and $150 off original pricing.

Apple initially restarted sales of the discontinued handset through its online clearance store last Saturday, though stock on hand was depleted by Monday.

Introduced in March 2016, iPhone SE is an update on the iPhone 5 series and comes packing an A9 processor, four-inch display with Touch ID and upgraded communications components. The handset was discontinued last September alongside the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus and iPhone X.

As Apple's iPhone becomes larger with each revamp, and with no sign of turning back, iPhone SE has built a small but not insignificant cult following of users who prefer compact handset designs. The SE has become a hot commodity since its discontinuation in 2018, though third-party retailers have a limited number in stock.

If and when Apple's supply runs dry, new models can be found on eBay, while Amazon.com and BuyBackWorld both sell refurbished versions at cut-rate prices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Aaaaaaaaand they're gone.

This must be a planned exercise to gauge demand for the small phone.
    edited January 2019 baconstangGeorgeBMacdesignr
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Maybe Apple will take the hint, that these smaller models are also very popular, and that not everyone wants every larger iPhones...? It’s obvious that everything Steve Jobs creates, is being systematically torn down - not by agency, but by ignorance.
    muthuk_vanalingamElCapitanGeorgeBMacbobolicious
  • Reply 3 of 25
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member

Well given every long standing Apple "fan" basednews outlet picked up the release within hours suggests it's high. Speed the release soldout confirms it.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 25
    This is a smart retroactive move. First of all, I LOVE THIS PHONE! AND....it is a silent seller. Now bring back the iPod shuffle and we will have tons of silent sales....
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Odd. When I checked AI, after all models sold out around 5:30 PM PST, this story wasn’t posted yet. Did they restock and sell out again?
    edited January 2019 command_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    Obviously no one wants a small iPhone... s/
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMaccommand_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Obviously no one wants a small iPhone... s/
    Obviously Apple only had a few dozen to sell. 
    netmage
  • Reply 8 of 25

Apple had the SE for sale for two and a half years, I’m pretty sure they’re pretty hip to how well it sells; that’s very likely exactly why they cancelled it. 

If this were anything other than attempt to clear out old stock of a phone soon to be going into its fourth model year, Apple wouldn’t be selling a $450 product at the fire sale price of $300—an almost unheard of 33% discount. 

I know it sucks for fans of small phones, but there just isn’t a very large market for them. It’s not just Apple; even at the sub-$250 ASP of Android phones, there’s very little demand (and hence no manufacturer interested in supplying one). 
    netmagecanukstormcommand_fDAalseth
  • Reply 9 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Hmm, you'd think PickUrPoison said:

Apple had the SE for sale for two and a half years, I’m pretty sure they’re pretty hip to how well it sells; that’s very likely exactly why they cancelled it. 

If this were anything other than attempt to clear out old stock of a phone soon to be going into its fourth model year, Apple wouldn’t be selling a $450 product at the fire sale price of $300—an almost unheard of 33% discount. 

I know it sucks for fans of small phones, but there just isn’t a very large market for them. It’s not just Apple; even at the sub-$250 ASP of Android phones, there’s very little demand (and hence no manufacturer interested in supplying one). 
    In general when you run out of stock, you run out of stock. These aren't refurbs right? So they could well be a test of the lower end of the market. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 10 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Lately Apple has developed a trend where they start promoting a product in the weeks and months BEFORE they release a significant upgrade.

The SE has never been on the September schedule -- but the March schedule.

Could Apple be readying an SE form factor with an Xr type (full face) screen for March?
    With a modern processor it could be the ideal phone for many -- because, while being small eternally, the screen would be close to that of an iPhone 8.

It would be an awesome product!
    muthuk_vanalingamcommand_fDAalsethTomEmacguibaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Not everyone wants a massive phone. Apple was right when they had the ads for the iPhone 5 demonstrating how easy it is to use one handed.

I like my iPhone XS Max, my wife loves her iPhone SE.
    GeorgeBMaccommand_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    I think there is a market for a smaller phone but more importantly there is a market for a cheaper phone. The SE was a great entry point into the Apple ecosystem. Not everyone wants or has the means to pay $750 or $999 for a phone. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    asdasd said:
    Hmm, you'd think PickUrPoison said:

In general when you run out of stock, you run out of stock. These aren't refurbs right? So they could well be a test of the lower end of the market. 
    Could be just clearing warehouses in stages, unless you would believe Apple had a million SE's built to test the market at a $300 price point. Maybe Apple really is thinking of playing in the budget (sub-$350) end of the market just as some other OEM's do. 
    edited January 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Short term or test activities like this are problematic when reporting iPhone unit numbers. The artificially propped unit numbers falsely convey performance in the reporting quarter, then falsely conveys a product decline in the YoY quarter.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Short term or test activities like this are problematic when reporting iPhone unit numbers. The artificially propped unit numbers falsely convey performance in the reporting quarter, then falsely conveys a product decline in the YoY quarter.
    Are you talking promille or probille errors here ?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    all gone :( Was gonna snag one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    I have a 7+ and want to downgrade to SE. Loved my 5s but it wasn’t powerful enough. The SE is still powerful with that great, classic form factor I love. I hope they sell more again soon. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Keep checking, they will probably restock when more are refurbished, this could go on for a couple weeks or maybe longer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Sorry, my bad,these are clearance, new items...but keep checking, it may be that they are selling online iPhone SE stock from various Apple stores returned to warehouse to make room for other items in the stores.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It's only problematic for the analysts.   Apple knows what it's doing (and what it did).
    baconstangwatto_cobra