Apple lays off more than 200 employees from 'Project Titan' autonomous vehicle team

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Rather than an autonomous system, I'd much rather a mature augmented reality system for automobiles that "just works". As one of the neanderthals that still drives a car with a manual transmission, I am not interested in something that makes using an automobile less about driving and more about being robotically chauffeured, although I am sure that given the abysmal take rates for manual transmissions in new cars, I am definitely in the minority.
    JWSC
  • Reply 22 of 43
    tmay said:
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:
    Maybe they finally accepted that building a car is a bit more complex... than glueing a pice of gorilla glass onto an aluminum case.

Or they realized that leading car manufacturers update their cars regularly... what do you mean, we can’t sell the 2020 model unchanged and for the same price until 2028??

LOL
    They should leave the Car to a real innovative company - Tesla.    Producing the car would mean securing a substantial supply of batteries on the assumption that it would be electric.   To break into the market place Apple would probably need some technological break throughs in Solid State battery and Self Driving technologies.    Two important areas where Apple appears way behind.    It's a little disappointing because I think that Apple has the talent to miniaturize LIDAR even if they are way behind Waymo in software.   Not that I have the money to afford a $100,000 vanity project for Jony Ive.

Looks like Doug Field ran back to Apple too soon.

Tesla is failing financially and its manufacturing and service are subpar. Worse for Tesla, the tax credits are halved to $3750, and they haven't figured out how to produce that $35K model. Then, or course, there are the announced competitors that have been and will continues to eat into Tesla's S and X sales.

I haven't a clue what Apple is doing wrt vehicles, but I doubt that they will be building one for consumers; the margins just aren't there.
    Reviews of the Model 3 by car magazines typically mention poor fit and finish, with excessive panel gaps, which suggests that Tesla still has a long way to go in process improvement. At this point, a second hand Model S, at about the same price point as a Model 3, is a sounder choice.
    stompyAppleExposed
  • Reply 23 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Mmmm. 

No one’s complained about car picture yet. 

Odd. 
    LOL. What's left to be said after all these years?
  • Reply 24 of 43
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    longpath said:
    tmay said:
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:
    Maybe they finally accepted that building a car is a bit more complex... than glueing a pice of gorilla glass onto an aluminum case.

Or they realized that leading car manufacturers update their cars regularly... what do you mean, we can’t sell the 2020 model unchanged and for the same price until 2028??

LOL
    They should leave the Car to a real innovative company - Tesla.    Producing the car would mean securing a substantial supply of batteries on the assumption that it would be electric.   To break into the market place Apple would probably need some technological break throughs in Solid State battery and Self Driving technologies.    Two important areas where Apple appears way behind.    It's a little disappointing because I think that Apple has the talent to miniaturize LIDAR even if they are way behind Waymo in software.   Not that I have the money to afford a $100,000 vanity project for Jony Ive.

Tesla is failing financially and its manufacturing and service are subpar. Worse for Tesla, the tax credits are halved to $3750, and they haven't figured out how to produce that $35K model. Then, or course, there are the announced competitors that have been and will continues to eat into Tesla's S and X sales.

I haven't a clue what Apple is doing wrt vehicles, but I doubt that they will be building one for consumers; the margins just aren't there.
    Reviews of the Model 3 by car magazines typically mention poor fit and finish, with excessive panel gaps, which suggests that Tesla still has a long way to go in process improvement. At this point, a second hand Model S, at about the same price point as a Model 3, is a sounder choice.
    Yep
    longpath
  • Reply 25 of 43
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:

LOL

It is unlikely that Apple will be able to make significant improvements to L-Ion battery technology above and beyond what Tesla has already achieved because you’re running up against the limitations of physics with regard to storage capacity by weight.  Tesla’s battery technology is already very good.  Apple’s automotive innovations will have to come from elsewhere.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 26 of 43
    longpath said:
    Rather than an autonomous system, I'd much rather a mature augmented reality system for automobiles that "just works". As one of the neanderthals that still drives a car with a manual transmission, I am not interested in something that makes using an automobile less about driving and more about being robotically chauffeured, although I am sure that given the abysmal take rates for manual transmissions in new cars, I am definitely in the minority.
    Long live the manual transmission!  Apple needs to keep that mode of operation in its design.
    longpath
  • Reply 27 of 43
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    "We continue to believe there is a huge opportunity with autonomous systems, that Apple has unique capabilities to contribute, and that this is the most ambitious machine learning project ever....” wow! To me, unless he or she said it from a bar stool, that third assertion makes the news. More ambitious than projects at google, Amazon, Stanford, DARPA? Another reason to add shares here.
    lolliver
  • Reply 28 of 43
    tmay said:
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:

LOL

And Tesla just laid off 3,000 workers. I’ve a feeling they continue to bleed cash and it’s time to pay the piper.

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-layoffs-cost-cutting/
    longpathcanukstormStrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 43
    longpath said:
    tmay said:
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:

LOL

To be blunt, Musk should’ve jobbed out the Model 3 to a Chinese or German contract manufacturer. Tesla is doing as well as they can, but they cannot compete with companies that have been doing this for much longer.
    longpath
  • Reply 30 of 43
    tbornottbornot Posts: 116member
    More likely Warren Buffet pulled the Apple board aside and told them to focus.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 31 of 43
    longpath said:
    tmay said:
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:

LOL

To be blunt, Musk should’ve jobbed out the Model 3 to a Chinese or German contract manufacturer. Tesla is doing as well as they can, but they cannot compete with companies that have been doing this for much longer.
    Right.  This reminds me of the beautiful assembly lines that Apple created to make computers in the 1980s and 1990s.  Apple wouldn't be the world power it is today if it had stuck with that vision.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 32 of 43
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:

LOL

Apple should have left computers to a real innovative company - IBM.

Apple should have left music to a real innovative company - Sony.

Apple should have left phones to a real innovative company - Motorola.

Apple should have left watches to a real innovaticve compan(ies) - Swiss

Apple should have left Bluetooth to a real innovative company - Bose.

At your age I thought you'd know better.

Also funny how ONE SINGLE AI article ruined the whole Car project. It's done! It's scrapped!

edited January 2019 StrangeDayslolliverbrucemc
  • Reply 33 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:

LOL

Oh look, the “But Apple isn’t innovative!” troll trope. How cute. Yes, building the most powerful miniaturized pocket & wrist & ear computers full of custom hardware & software isn’t innovate. But electric cars, which have existed for a century, are the pinnacle of innovation. 
    edited January 2019 AppleExposedlolliver
  • Reply 34 of 43
    I remember y’all tearing into Elon Musk a few years ago when he said building cars was harder than it looked.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/05/elon-musk-apple-comments-earnings-call

Well well well!
    Well what? You’re inferring your own conclusions when there is no public data to identify those conclusions let alone support them. Well done. 
  • Reply 35 of 43

tmay said:
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:

LOL

And Tesla just laid off 3,000 workers. I’ve a feeling they continue to bleed cash and it’s time to pay the piper.

But Elon Musk cannot do wrong! His name is too cool! Right guys...?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:

LOL

Oh look, the “But Apple isn’t innovative!” troll trope. How cute. Yes, building the most powerful miniaturized pocket & wrist & ear computers full of custom hardware & software isn’t innovate. But electric cars, which have existed for a century, are the pinnacle of innovation. 
    I never understood the "building cars is far more complicated" trope when most car parts, as you said, haven't changed in 100 years. Yet Apple inventing the most successful product of mankind is childs play......
    brucemc
  • Reply 37 of 43

tmay said:
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:

LOL

A lot of Musk haters here.  Odd since he shares many of the same good and bad characteristics as Jobs.  Really don’t get it.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    JWSC said:

tmay said:
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:

LOL

A lot of Musk haters here.  Odd since he shares many of the same good and bad characteristics as Jobs.  Really don’t get it.

It's when he got big headed and started attacking Apple.

Seems Elon was afraid when he made those anti-Apple remarks. Happens every time.

• Reply 39 of 43
    I honestly hoped we'd have an Apple Car by 2020 :(
    Autonomous cars are a pie-in-the-sky aspiration. Computers today are simply too dumb to assess in real time all of the variables needed to drive autonomously in the real world. They need help from new roads designed to help them drive without crashing into a barrier to kill the driver or crashing onto a pedestrian to kill him. Better would simply be an Apple car with a BETTER interface for driving. That is much more attainable. It would be like the original iPhone versus the cells phones which predated it.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    I honestly hoped we'd have an Apple Car by 2020 :(
    Autonomous cars are a pie-in-the-sky aspiration. Computers today are simply too dumb to assess in real time all of the variables needed to drive autonomously in the real world. They need help from new roads designed to help them drive without crashing into a barrier to kill the driver or crashing onto a pedestrian to kill him. Better would simply be an Apple car with a BETTER interface for driving. That is much more attainable. It would be like the original iPhone versus the cells phones which predated it.
    They are not pie-in-the-sky.  They are here today...in limited quantities.
    They don't have to be perfect, just better than humans.

Apple didn't just make an MP3 player, they disrupted the music industry.
    Apple didn't just make an phone, they disrupted everything.
    Apple is not rushing to just make an autonomous car.
    The car is a cog in the much larger transportation industry and much of the world is designed around the idea of what a car was.
    When the car radically changes it will have far reaching effects in all of society.
    It will affect:
    car ownership
    car sharing
    car accidents
    car insurance
    car design
    gas stations
    mechanics
    parking
    roads
    traffic
    commuting
    driveways
    drivethroughs
    public transportation
    airline industry
    on and on and on...

I believe Apple is putting a lot of thought into building a robust transportation platform that will make Apple's autonomous car far more compelling and profitable.
    JWSClolliver