Taking a look at the rumors surrounding Apple's 'AirPods 2'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    asdasd said:
    entropys said:
    Sounds great, can’t wait. The most Apple product of the last five years.
    I suspect the Cook pricing strategy to be followed though. Price of AirPod 1 drops $20, price of Airpod 2 rises $40.

So you believe new products which do more things should not cost more than a product which did less? Such a bizarre world view....
    Its literally the way the computer industry worked for years. New computers, better processors, often cheaper prices. 
    Yes. Except the way Apple has worked for the last 15 years is they add new features and then keep the price the same or increase it slightly. You get more features per dollar, but if those features aren’t meaningful to you it doesn’t help. 

It would be nice if they dropped the price of AirPods 1. By all accounts they are outstanding, but $160 is not cheap and is more than many people are willing to shell out for some headphones. (I still find it annoying that apple removed the headphone jack, saying Bluetooth is just as good, but then expects you to pay at least $150 if you want a pair with the w1 chip to avoid the headaches and annoyances thst come with Bluetooth pairing.)

I can’t see apple keeping AirPods 1 if/when they release a new version. There would be too many people who wouldn’t be willing to pay extra for the new features and the cheaper original version would likely canabalize sales of the new version too much. 
  • Reply 22 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    asdasd said:
    entropys said:
    I suspect the Cook pricing strategy to be followed though. Price of AirPod 1 drops $20, price of Airpod 2 rises $40.

So you believe new products which do more things should not cost more than a product which did less? Such a bizarre world view....
    Its literally the way the computer industry worked for years. New computers, better processors, often cheaper prices. 
    It never worked that way. There were plenty of cases where the only things that were updated were certain components that were made faster or better for the same or lower prices, but only cheap, beige box PCs typically upgraded those components without improving the machine in other ways. To assume that LCD and OLED displays or Touch ID and Face ID should be a lateral or lower price difference because they're both displays and biometrics, respectively, is failing to understand the technologies involved. Moore's Law does not apply!
    edited January 2019 radarthekatStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 27
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    entropys said:
    No I expect the price of technology to fall over time. That is what it has done for the last forty years. That means you get more value for the same dollar over time.
    You get more value from the fact a tech product typically does more with each edition.  There’s no rule that says technology products should fall in price.  Or that houses should rise in price.  
  • Reply 24 of 27
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    entropys said:
    No I expect the price of technology to fall over time. That is what it has done for the last forty years. That means you get more value for the same dollar over time.
    You get more value from the fact a tech product typically does more with each edition.  There’s no rule that says technology products should fall in price.  Or that houses should rise in price.  
    Not necessarily - Value is essentially the ratio of features to price. if the new features are not useful to me, then their addition provides no added value and protentally makes it a worse value if the price goes up.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,883member
    asdasd said:
    entropys said:

Trending over time -- many years -- yes. But AirPods are not processors. It's a new product, and if they offer a new version that does more, there's no reason to believe it's not going to cost more. This potential new product isn't refactoring faster clock cycles or upgrading the W2 wireless chip to W3, this talk is entirely new features, and the R&D to miniaturize and introduce these new features. 
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 26 of 27
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    BLW said:
    You focused mainly on whether or not people will be willing to upgrade to the newer AirPod 2s.   This ignores those who don't currently own AirPods and are interested in buying them, but might be waiting for the coming refresh.  The current AirPods seem to still be selling well.  Who is buying them?  First time AirPod buyers, I would imagine.  If this is the case, there should be lots of first time AirPod buyers who will be buying AirPod 2s as their first pair of AirPods.  They may be upgrading from wired phones.
    One of the most important things I mentioned was that people who don’t currently own AirPods should definitely hold off on buying a set until the 2nd-gen AirPods come out. 

We have an editing process here so I guess that part got edited out of the final script and I didn’t notice. 

But yes, if you don’t have AirPods yet, definitely wait and buy the new ones! No tough decision to be made there :) 
    Don't buy the 2nd generation. There will be the 3d generation. It will be better than the 2nd. Wait for the 3d generation.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Here’s the reason why Apple should’ve bought Sennheiser instead of (or perhaps in addition to) Beats: 

Could you please elaborate how would this drive the apple's shares up?
    Soli