Apple got tablets right, and created a whole new market with the iPad 12 years ago today

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Soli said:
    tht said:
    In a lot of ways, perhaps Jobs vision or market segmentation for the iPad, a device that sits in between a smartphone and laptop, became more of a ball and chain than a computer for everyone. Hard to explain why they limited the functionality of iPads for so long, and still are going a snails pace.

They should have sprinted head long into having iPads do everything a computer do. instead of it being an iOS device for a 10” display, it should have been iPadOS, capable of doing everything a computer can do. Mind that I’m all in with using an iPad flat on a table like a piece paper. Hardware keyboard support is nice, but it shouldn’t be advertised with it.
    That model was tried for decades before the iPad arrived and it failed. Even now MS is still trying that with the Surface and it still has no marketshare compared to the iPad and even less when you look at Windows installs. The iPad's OS being idealized for the device and I/O is the reason for its success.
    There are times where marketshare don't tell the whole story.  If that was the case, macOS have failed compared to Windows and iOS to Android in smartphones. And I don't think neither have failed, same as the Surface.  There are times where an iPad does a better job as a device, most of the time when it's used as a tablet.  But as soon as you push the iPad as a desktop replacement, then the Surface starts to shine.  A few years ago there was study where it had the Surface customer satisfaction a little bit higher than iPad's.  IMO, iPad success us because the library of apps and the quality of iOS as a mobile OS.  But at the same time, I still consider the Surface an excellent device, even though doesn't sells at iPad levels. 
    edited January 2019 williamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 22 of 83
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    macxpress said:
    tht said:
    In a lot of ways, perhaps Jobs vision or market segmentation for the iPad, a device that sits in between a smartphone and laptop, became more of a ball and chain than a computer for everyone. Hard to explain why they limited the functionality of iPads for so long, and still are going a snails pace.

They should have sprinted head long into having iPads do everything a computer do. instead of it being an iOS device for a 10” display, it should have been iPadOS, capable of doing everything a computer can do. Mind that I’m all in with using an iPad flat on a table like a piece paper. Hardware keyboard support is nice, but it shouldn’t be advertised with it.
    So basically you want macOS on an iPad...that doesn't work and Apple has explained this many times. Seems like people just don't want to listen. Just look at the Surface Tablet. Yeah Microsoft is selling some and sales to go up sometimes, but as @Soli said, they don't have anywhere near the marketshare of iPad and that trend continues. So I think the market has decided what works best. 
    Are you saying that Windows is better than macOS and Android is better in smartphones then iOS, considering their marketshares?
    williamlondonctt_zh
  • Reply 23 of 83
    It's time for touchscreen MacBooks that fold into tablets (or whose screens can be removed and used as tablets).
  • Reply 24 of 83
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I think there's a key piece of the puzzle missing from the article. A lot of pundits were convinced the iPad was going to cost over US$1000, or US$800 at a bare minimum. Some of this was pure speculation, some based on experience in developing similar devices. Partly, this was because the initial cost for the iPhone was so high. There was genuine surprise when they launched at US$500. It's yet another way everyone underestimated what Apple was doing with iPad, and was another setback for people trying to anticipate how to compete.
    StrangeDaysMisterKitradarthekatwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 25 of 83
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    anome said:
    I think there's a key piece of the puzzle missing from the article. A lot of pundits were convinced the iPad was going to cost over US$1000, or US$800 at a bare minimum. Some of this was pure speculation, some based on experience in developing similar devices. Partly, this was because the initial cost for the iPhone was so high. There was genuine surprise when they launched at US$500. It's yet another way everyone underestimated what Apple was doing with iPad, and was another setback for people trying to anticipate how to compete.
    Yes, seems like that was the last time Apple surprised people with a product that was cheaper than anticipated.   And up through the iPad Air2 you could get the base iPad at $499 and the prior years at $399 making for very reasonable pricing.   Unfortunately Apple then decided to lengthen the upgrade cycle and move users to the iPadPro at a higher price point (yes I know the $329 iPad exists but its basically using 2 years old tech).
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 83
    arlor said:
    Is a jailbroken 1st gen iPad usable as a weekend device(1 to 2 days a week)?
    My iPad 2 has gotten to the point where it's not really usable anymore. I don't know if the hardware has decayed or the software has just gotten more demanding or both, but even with older apps it seems a lot slower than it used to. Sometimes I wonder if I should've stayed on an older version of iOS instead of upgrading.
    Have you replaced the battery?    That may be the reason of the slow down.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    macxpress said:
    tht said:

So basically you want macOS on an iPad...that doesn't work and Apple has explained this many times. Seems like people just don't want to listen. Just look at the Surface Tablet. Yeah Microsoft is selling some and sales to go up sometimes, but as @Soli said, they don't have anywhere near the marketshare of iPad and that trend continues. So I think the market has decided what works best. 
    I think you guys are missing the point, iOS on iPad effectively makes it unusable for many tasks.  Giving iPad more advanced capabilities does not turn it into a Mac.   Frankly iPad and the stagnant nature of iOS is pretty much proof that innovation has left the house at Apple.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 83
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    macxpress said:
    tht said:

"So basically you want macOS on an iPad"

That is not what that person said.
    Thats EXACTLY what that person said. Call it what you want...but what that person explained is macOS. 
  • Reply 29 of 83
    k2kw said:
    anome said:
    Yes, seems like that was the last time Apple surprised people with a product that was cheaper than anticipated.   And up through the iPad Air2 you could get the base iPad at $499 and the prior years at $399 making for very reasonable pricing.   Unfortunately Apple then decided to lengthen the upgrade cycle and move users to the iPadPro at a higher price point (yes I know the $329 iPad exists but its basically using 2 years old tech).
    When I accidentky destroyed my last iPad I waited for the next round of iPad updates.   Unfortunately the updates came with excessive price increases and really didn’t move the hardware nor the OS in a way that justified the price. So for a few months now I’ve been relying upon my iPhone for highly mobile communications.  Frankly I’m not missing the iPad, for one I need to have a real laptop along when it comes to travel!   Second the device is just too frustrating to use, especially if net access is sporadic.  

So effectively Apple priced the machine out of the range where one could buy it as a toy.    I don’t see myself getting into the platform again anytime soon.    I would need to see Apple reconsidering pricing, especially for the upgraded hardware and I would need to see them get serious with respect to IOS and address it’s short comings.   For the money Apple is asking I could buy any number of things and get better use out of them.   
    canukstorm
  • Reply 30 of 83
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    tht said:

Thats EXACTLY what that person said. Call it what you want...but what that person explained is macOS. 
    Why are people so dense on this forum??   Is it that hard to understand that wanting more capabilities with in iPad OS doesn’t not imply making that OS a carbon copy of Mac OS.  

Look at it this way, if someone says that they would love to see a feature that Windows has adopted into Mac OS that does not imply that they want Windows.  Even closer might be a Linux feature adopted into Mac OS.    Much of what people want to see in iPad OS can be implemented keeping current iOS behavior.  All it takes is a little imagination on Apples part.  

muthuk_vanalingamctt_zhcroprcanukstorm
  • Reply 31 of 83
    arlor said:

My iPad 2 has gotten to the point where it's not really usable anymore. I don't know if the hardware has decayed or the software has just gotten more demanding or both, but even with older apps it seems a lot slower than it used to. Sometimes I wonder if I should've stayed on an older version of iOS instead of upgrading.
    I can't remember what iPad I have but I have the same problem. Its not useful for anything other than a SLOW sonos controller 
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 32 of 83
    tht said:

I agree entirely.   I'm not interested in upgrading my 2017 unless there is a compelling software reason for it.    FaceId doesn't cut it - its a nice replacement functionality for authentication but not anything new in my book.   And by offering a hardware based keyboard for the iPadPro it certainly begs the question of when mouse support will be added.

I hope Apple eventually makes a superOS for a hybrid iPad/MacBook but I expect that it will be a quite a while for that to happen just because squeezing the software development to advance this seems to take place once every 2-3 years.

In the short term I hope that Apple would add multi-user support to both the iPad and HomePod with Siri able to finally able to recognize different family members for calendars, etc..

As apple has said: (https tech crunch dot com /2017/04/06/transcript-phil-schiller-craig-federighi-and-john-ternus-on-the-state-of-apples-pro-macs/?_ga=2.90399132.784198535.1548635157-1632605040.1464346619 ) that they are working to provide common low level functionality.

Craig Federighi: (at the end of the article)  ...
     For our developers, we think we want a common platform at the lower level for a developer to build an app that could work on iOS, even tvOS, MacOS. The differentiated bits are the higher level user environment and some of the highest level frameworks that target that user experience.

The number of people focused on the common technologies, as well as the distinct technologies to each of those platforms, has definitely grown over the last several years.

That was in 2017 and was probably telegraphing marzipan with "build an app that could work on iOS, even tvOS, MacOS".   What doesn't seem to be panning out is the touchBar.

A hybrid app may come 6 or more year down the road but I doubt that Apple will say that now or anytime soon knowing the insane reaction that they get from some Mac Users and developers.

watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 33 of 83
    mrakoplas said:
    Is a jailbroken 1st gen iPad usable as a weekend device(1 to 2 days a week)?
    My one (not jailbroken) still runs Netflix and also iBooks are fine, but otherwise, System 5 is just outdated. It can't even play Apple Music. Kids used it to play some games, until I bought them 2018 iPads. However, hardware-wise it is still in great condition - can't believe I bought it on Christmas 2010! Now it spends its time in drawer, with old good Palm Tungsten E and other forgotten stuff.
    You should jailbreak to get more out of your old firmware. Remove your Apple ID to reduce security risks.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    Wait, no mention of the HP Slate? You’re slipping....
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Nice article, but, I have one thing that I have to comment on:

Main image 2018 11-inch iPad Pro home screen Inset to scale original iPad home screen
    Main image: 2018 11-inch iPad Pro home screen. Inset, to scale: original iPad home screen

The main image is a home screen from the current 11-inch iPad Pro. The two devices have slightly different dimensions. The original iPad was 9.56 inches by 7.47 inches and the 2018 model is 9.74 inches by 7.02 inches. 

However, look at the inset image. That's the home screen of an original iPad and it's rendered here to scale...”

THIS IS NOT TO “SCALE”, this shows pixels, not scale. The original iPad had a 9.7” screen, the icons were the same size, but had less pixels. This pic makes it seem like screen size was changed greatly, when it’s pixel density that has changed, (and color, etc.).

to show the difference it would be better to show a portion of the screen enlarged...while the icons are the same size, the pixel density and color has been much improved. The original iPad had a screen resolution of 1024x768, a standard you’d find on many 15” or 17” monitors, so the pixel density was improved, but, not as much as retina screens, which came with the 3rd generation iPad.
    watto_cobraraoulduke42
  • Reply 36 of 83
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I am on my iPad right now. I remember Microsoft supporting tablets with windows XP tablet edition.   Microsoft has been trying to support tablets ever since then. They have really gone nowhere since then.  The Surface is the biggest seller for tablets for them and the numbers are pitiful.   I use my iPad every day.   I use it at home and at work every day. Right now I am laying in bed voice texting this message onto my iPad. It works quite well. I want the macOS on the iPad.  This is part of the problem with windows and the surface,  trying to make the OS work for everything and everyone.  I am a long-time Windows user since windows 95  and I’m not a fan of the Surface.   Which is another reason why I have a iPad.

I have my custom built Windows desktop at home and the windows computer at work.  Even have a Windows laptop that I got for free here also.   But here I am dictating to my iPad. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 83

I don't think criticisms regarding the name were valid at all.

"Pad" had 2 meanings (from dictionary.com):

"A cushion-like mass of soft material used for comfort, protection, or stuffing."

"A number of sheets of paper glued or otherwise held together at one edge to form a tablet."

The first meaning was from where the Maxi-pad got its name.

The second meaning is where Notepad comes from, which is also the basis of the iPad.

The fact that the name is a non-issue now further demonstrates that the name was never a bad choice.

muthuk_vanalingamradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 83
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    not for me I really dislike iPads 
  • Reply 39 of 83
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    wizard69 said:
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    tht said:

Why are people so dense on this forum??   Is it that hard to understand that wanting more capabilities with in iPad OS doesn’t not imply making that OS a carbon copy of Mac OS.  

Look at it this way, if someone says that they would love to see a feature that Windows has adopted into Mac OS that does not imply that they want Windows.  Even closer might be a Linux feature adopted into Mac OS.    Much of what people want to see in iPad OS can be implemented keeping current iOS behavior.  All it takes is a little imagination on Apples part.  

Bingo!
    muthuk_vanalingamentropys
  • Reply 40 of 83
    I can remember selling some excess music equipment to get enough money together to buy that first iPad. I went full bore for the 64gig 3g model. Some 5 or so iPads later the original still sits on a shelf plugged in and charged. To this day it is still functional for some low overhead uses. Reading books, surfing the web, even some early versions of now more advanced apps can still get the job done. It is such a nice piece of history to hold and bring back thoughts of being on the edge as an early adopter. 
    watto_cobra