Apple posts video shot on 32 iPhone XRs, plus behind-the-scenes footage

Posted:
in iPhone
In a departure from its usual advertising style, Apple on Monday posted a new video to YouTube called "Full Circle," which showcasing some of the wilder video possibilities of the iPhone XR.

iPhone XR Full Circle

The clip is a little under a minute and 30 seconds long, and while it looks like computer graphics it actually features practical effects with materials like fire, water, slime and dry ice. The piece was shot on commission by Donghoon Jun and James Thornton.

For filming, the pair used two apps, ProCamera and ProCam 6, but most importantly 32 iPhone XRs mounted on a 360-degree bullet-time rig inside a darkened tent. The equipment can be seen in a much longer "Behind the Scenes" video.

Apple this year has increased the number of "artistic" ads used to sell its latest generation of products. Three of these made Adweek's annual "Best Ads" rankings, including its "Welcome Home" spot for the HomePod, a "Share Your Gifts" holiday commercial and "Unlock" for the iPhone X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    WHY IS THIS NOT HD?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Video EditorVideo Editor Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Someone tell me why the "making of" video is posted in 1080p, but the actual finished promo video is only posted in 480p. Kind of defeats the purpose, no?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I can’t get the second video to load, unfortunately. Looks cool though. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Someone tell me why the "making of" video is posted in 1080p, but the actual finished promo video is only posted in 480p. Kind of defeats the purpose, no?
    i just click on the utility wheel and changed it to 1080P, they probably set it to lower quality so it would stream faster on a slow connection.

However, wouldn't it be nice to get paid to play verse working to produce something people would want to buy and find useful.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    WHY IS THIS NOT HD?

In Safari, the promotional video only maxes to 480
    The how-to video has a choice to stream in 1080p.

In Chrome
    Both videos come up with options for 1080p.

Go figure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    I wonder if they finished it and then felt dumb when they realized they had shot it with vertical phones so there would be big black bars on both sides of the frame. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    iPhone XRs? It’s completely unnecessary. You can do the same thing with 32 used iPhone 6 Plus and produce the same effects.
    Why upgrade?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Was there a way that they were able to start recording on all 32 iPhones at once, or did they just manually hit each one? 

I'd also like to know more about the editing process.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The last 30 seconds is great.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Very cool guys. Can we get 500 likes in the chat?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ivanh said:
    iPhone XRs? It’s completely unnecessary. You can do the same thing with 32 used iPhone 6 Plus and produce the same effects.
    Why upgrade?
    Or not. The 6 Plus isn't waterproof, nor will it shoot 1080p video at 240fps. But hey, if you want to ruin 32 iPhone 6 Pluses, feel free.
    roundaboutnowlolliverwatto_cobra