Behind the scenes video shows iPad Pro usage in video production

Posted:
in iPad
Apple has published a new video to YouTube that highlights the utility of the iPad Pro, by showing how a recent video series showcasing the tablet's main features was filmed and produced using the mobile productivity device.

Shot from iPad Pro shorts 'behind the scenes' video

On January 18, Apple posted a series of iPad Pro films that positioned the tablet as a "new way" of accomplishing tasks, rather than as a PC replacement. The five short videos showed off the hardware's performance, integration with the Apple Pencil, and the use of iOS apps to accomplish tasks.

In a new video posted to the channel on Monday titled "A new way to go behind the scenes," the company showed off how it produced the series, which were filmed, edited, animated, designed, and composed on the iPad Pro.

The shots of the iPad Pro on a white background were shot with a second iPad Pro suspended on a tray above the surface, capturing the screen and hand movements of the "subject" iPad Pro. Filmic Pro was used to capture the video, due to its fine-grained control of shutter speed and white balance.

Editing was performed using LumaFusion, with animation performed on Core Animator and Keynote. Music for the shorts took advantage of the virtual instruments available in GarageBand, while Procreate and Notability were used for designing and planning the shots.

While the iPad Pro's flexibility is the focal point of the video, it also highlights the large amount of other elements it took to get all of the shots, including lighting rigs, a custom rig to hold the filming iPad Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    So...Can we stop calling the iPad a "consumption device". I crest a lot of stuff, drawings, writing, graphics, movies (coincidentally using LumaFusion). It just galls me when people keep acting like an iPad is only good for playing music and watching videos. Read books on it? I WRITE books on it.
    racerhomie3fastasleepredgeminipajony0
  • Reply 2 of 6
    DAalseth said:
    So...Can we stop calling the iPad a "consumption device". I crest a lot of stuff, drawings, writing, graphics, movies (coincidentally using LumaFusion). It just galls me when people keep acting like an iPad is only good for playing music and watching videos. Read books on it? I WRITE books on it.
    Did a Keynote presentation today in our Library. I volunteer in the Computer Lab. The IT person commented that the presentation was a work of art. Have never done a PowerPoint or Keynote till last year. Was motivated to learn Keynote and took a few Apple Classes. Yes I use the new 12.9” to consume content but am utilizing it in ways I never foresaw. More production/creative than consumption. It will only get better with each new iOS update.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 6
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    DAalseth said:
    Its a consumption device from the perspective of anything requiring a keyboard and text interaction.  Because reaching up to select text or position a cursor sucks.

And you can edit a movie on it but not at the speed that FCPX could on a iMac Pro using keyboard, mouse, etc.  

If you could dock the iPad Pro and use it as a computer then yes, it would be considered more as a creative device since most folks aren't artists.

And no, that's not the same as asking for macOS on the iPad.  It's asking for mouse, full HDMI support (ie using the whole screen for apps when connected) and some better file management in iOS.  We don't (generally) need the console, 3rd party App Store, etc that comes with a Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nht said:
    DAalseth said:
    Its a consumption device from the perspective of anything requiring a keyboard and text interaction.  Because reaching up to select text or position a cursor sucks.

And you can edit a movie on it but not at the speed that FCPX could on a iMac Pro using keyboard, mouse, etc.  

If you could dock the iPad Pro and use it as a computer then yes, it would be considered more as a creative device since most folks aren't artists.

And no, that's not the same as asking for macOS on the iPad.  It's asking for mouse, full HDMI support (ie using the whole screen for apps when connected) and some better file management in iOS.  We don't (generally) need the console, 3rd party App Store, etc that comes with a Mac.
    I replaced my MacBook with the new 12.9” iPad Pro, and I’m rather surprised that I don’t really miss having the trackpad. If I need more fine pointing, I grab the Apple Pencil from the top of it, and do what I need to do. It’s fantastic for filling out “hand written” papers and capturing signatures on documents.

I never thought an iPad of any sort would become my daily driver. I had several iPads over the years, including a 2017 12.9” Pro, and they really never saw much use.

I have a perfectly good 2007 MacBook Pro sitting on my desk collecting dust. At this point, it’s rare I need an actual computer, but I keep the MBP and an old Windows laptop around for those moments I do. My MacBooks were always more of a desktop computer, as in they never really left my desk. The iPad goes with me often, even when the previous iPads were more dust collectors.

Is the iPad perfect? Not even close, but I’m hoping iOS 13 unlocks more potential for the new iPad Pro. I have a strong feeling it will.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 5 of 6
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    nht said:
    DAalseth said:

The input method is not the sole driver for productivity, especially when the input methods between a touchscreen and keyboard+mouse really aren’t that different on the iPad, which is keyboard and pointing as well.

Productivity scales with display size. Using FCPX or Xcode on a 10” laptop versus a 15” laptop versus a 24” desktop display should result in increased productivity or capability. It won’t be that different with an iPad. A 10” iPad, with software keyboard and all, is basically as productive as a 10” laptop, and you don’t see many people using a 10” laptop as their main compute device for obvious reasons, where it has a hardware keyboard and trackpad. So people shouldn’t expect to be really productive on a 10” iPad either.

I would wholly expect FCPX or Xcode, with UI designed for touch with the same functions supported, to be as good on a 13” iPad versus a 13” laptop, and the productivity will improve on a 15” iPad, same as it would on a 15” laptop. A 24 inch “iPad” - it’s just a desktop computer used flat on its surface at that point - will be even more productive since ever more UI elements will be available to users with single taps.

Like so many have been saying, the software is limiting the types of things people can do with iPads. Is there a good reason why arrow keys aren’t available on a the iPad Pro 12.9 software keyboard? I’m really good with text selection on the iPad with two-finger text selection, but arrow keys can move the cursor insertion point character by character, line by line, which is a very handy and an effort saving control capability.

Then, there isn’t much reason not to allow users to have terminal access and be able to install command line programs, nor not have overlapping windows, especially on the 12.9 model. If it supported external displays, I’d be find with using a software keyboard and trackpad running on the iPad itself as the input method. It’s not the touchscreen, it’s the display size.

• Reply 6 of 6
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    tht said:
    nht said:
    DAalseth said:

The input method is not the sole driver for productivity, especially when the input methods between a touchscreen and keyboard+mouse really aren’t that different on the iPad, which is keyboard and pointing as well.

Productivity scales with display size. Using FCPX or Xcode on a 10” laptop versus a 15” laptop versus a 24” desktop display should result in increased productivity or capability. It won’t be that different with an iPad. A 10” iPad, with software keyboard and all, is basically as productive as a 10” laptop, and you don’t see many people using a 10” laptop as their main compute device for obvious reasons, where it has a hardware keyboard and trackpad. So people shouldn’t expect to be really productive on a 10” iPad either.

I would wholly expect FCPX or Xcode, with UI designed for touch with the same functions supported, to be as good on a 13” iPad versus a 13” laptop, and the productivity will improve on a 15” iPad, same as it would on a 15” laptop. A 24 inch “iPad” - it’s just a desktop computer used flat on its surface at that point - will be even more productive since ever more UI elements will be available to users with single taps.

Like so many have been saying, the software is limiting the types of things people can do with iPads. Is there a good reason why arrow keys aren’t available on a the iPad Pro 12.9 software keyboard? I’m really good with text selection on the iPad with two-finger text selection, but arrow keys can move the cursor insertion point character by character, line by line, which is a very handy and an effort saving control capability.

Then, there isn’t much reason not to allow users to have terminal access and be able to install command line programs, nor not have overlapping windows, especially on the 12.9 model. If it supported external displays, I’d be find with using a software keyboard and trackpad running on the iPad itself as the input method. It’s not the touchscreen, it’s the display size.

When you connect an iPad to a display it pillarboxes for most apps.  And while the keyboard works if you need to move the cursor or select text you have to do so on the iPad which is often awkward.  This is fine for a short email but for coding or writing documents it's simply not very good in comparison to having a mouse or trackpad.  Even arrow keys aren't as good as mouse.

A 24" iPad Plus laying flat on a table would suck for anything but drawing or writing.  A 24" iPad set vertically as a screen would be great except you'd be forced to touch the screen to do any cursor interaction.  But I'd rather have an iPad mini that I can carry around and dock when I wanted.  And no, I wouldn't mind paying MBA pricing for one.

Another issue for the iPad as a video editor is the amount of space you have, not just display size or input.  The last project had 93GB of HD source material (ProRes 422 LT)...if I was doing 4K ProRes UHD it would have been 318GB per hour or around 570GB.  And for that I was single cam.  Multi-cam it would have been...well double or triple.  On my MBP this isn't a big deal.

For a very mobile platform I don't mind it being slower.  I do mind it being awkward to do work on.