Apple was told about Group FaceTime privacy bug more than a week before closing access

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27

Your headline says: 

Apple was told about Group FaceTime privacy bug more than a week before closing access

The first sentence says

Apple may have known about the Group FaceTime privacy bug a week before the company disabled the feature, with one Twitter user claiming to have informed Apple of the issue discovered by their child the previous Monday

WHICH IS IT? (Was told or may have known)?

AppleInsider seems to be going for the clickbait headlines which is a real shame.

edited January 2019
  • Reply 22 of 27
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    "Mr. President I have a report here that says Hawaii is under attack and missiles are inbound what should we do?"
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Dave Kap said:

Your headline says: 

The first sentence says

Apple may have known about the Group FaceTime privacy bug a week before the company disabled the feature, with one Twitter user claiming to have informed Apple of the issue discovered by their child the previous Monday

WHICH IS IT? (Was told or may have known)?

AppleInsider seems to be going for the clickbait headlines which is a real shame.

Both are true. A radar filed means Apple was told. Whether or not they knew about it institutionally is a different matter.
    focher
  • Reply 24 of 27
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    @AppleZulu ;
    Of course. Because jokes are always funnier when you announce that they are jokes and then explain their rhetorical structure.
    Among friends of mine this is known as how to "Jay Leno" a joke.
    AppleZulu
  • Reply 25 of 27
    A possibility - no way to know if it's true - is that Apple quickly discovered a way to determine if anyone was making use of this hack and monitored it on their servers.  As long as the only one using it was the guy who found it, there would be no rush disable the service or push out a fix without adequate testing.

Of course, the moment this went public, everyone was trying it.  And then Apple responded fairly quickly by shutting down Group FaceTime - an action that no doubt disrupted many people all over the world.

I have zero contacts within Apple and no way to know if this is what really happened, but it's certainly a possibility.
                                                                          -- Jerry

• Reply 26 of 27
    cferry said
    Username tacoplenty Joined January 24 Visits 1 Last Active 2:20PM Roles member Badges 0Posts 2 I think that's all we need to know to judge whether this bomb thrower is a serious contributor or something else.
    And clearly he’s just reusing his OK Cupid login, which automatically throws in a “taco” if your requested username is taken. 
  • Reply 27 of 27
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    The Internet just gives voice to those who want to engage in faux outrage.

All of the following can be true:

1. Apple was informed of the bug.
    2. Some people at Apple were aware of the bug.
    3. Some people at Apple were not aware of the bug.
    4. When the right people at Apple who are responsible for fixing such bugs became aware, they shut the service down temporarily.
    5. When the people at Apple responsible for fixing bugs release a fix, the bug will be fixed.
    6. People can actually get through life without losing their shit over everything and just move on.

Or...

1. People can just run around with their hair on fire yelling Tim Cook should be fired.

I think we know where people stand at this point. 
    Soliyoyo2222