BenQ PD3200U Compatibility Questions

Posted:
in General Discussion
I'm wondering if there is a way to get this possible new monitor purchase or mine to work with my MacBook Pro 2017 with Touch Bar that only has USB Type C connections... is there an adaptor that I can get that will still deliver a 4K experience...?

Also... I'm potentially getting this new screen to work with my MacPro 12Core (Mid 2010) with a newly updated Sapphire RX580 8GB PULSE Graphics Card.... I'm currently using a mini display to display cable adaptor to get my current Apple 27" Cinema LED Display (Not Thunderbolt) to work with this card.... but the BenQ supports Display Port, so that won't be an issue.

The issue I have is with my MacBook Pro 2017 with only USB Type C ports.

Also with the new MacPro 2019 around the corner, would this BenQ PD3200U be future proof enough to work with that machine in full 4K resolution...? as I have a feeling Apple's new standalone monitor will be a beast of a price also.

Any comments or suggestions most welcome... :)

Regards,
Anthony

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    amcliz said:
    I'm wondering if there is a way to get this possible new monitor purchase or mine to work with my MacBook Pro 2017 with Touch Bar that only has USB Type C connections... is there an adaptor that I can get that will still deliver a 4K experience...?

Also... I'm potentially getting this new screen to work with my MacPro 12Core (Mid 2010) with a newly updated Sapphire RX580 8GB PULSE Graphics Card.... I'm currently using a mini display to display cable adaptor to get my current Apple 27" Cinema LED Display (Not Thunderbolt) to work with this card.... but the BenQ supports Display Port, so that won't be an issue.

The issue I have is with my MacBook Pro 2017 with only USB Type C ports.

Also with the new MacPro 2019 around the corner, would this BenQ PD3200U be future proof enough to work with that machine in full 4K resolution...? as I have a feeling Apple's new standalone monitor will be a beast of a price also.

Any comments or suggestions most welcome... :)

Regards,
    Anthony
    Yeah, it's fine. Just get a USB-C to DisplayPort cable for the 2017. My main display is an Acer CB281HK on DisplayPort, either from an eGPU or directly connected to the MBP with a USB-C to DisplayPort. They're about $12 or so.
    edited January 2019 amcliz
  • Reply 2 of 13
    That's great to hear Mike and thank you for that quick reply. Will that still deliver me 4K quality from my MacBook Pro with this adaptor cable... and what you think about how future proof it might be with a new MacPro... the same type cable might work...?

Have you heard any negative reviews about the BenQ PD3200U...?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    amcliz said:
    That's great to hear Mike and thank you for that quick reply. Will that still deliver me 4K quality from my MacBook Pro with this adaptor cable... and what you think about how future proof it might be with a new MacPro... the same type cable might work...?

Have you heard any negative reviews about the BenQ PD3200U...?
    Regarding the cable, yes, the display will be 4K. However realize that the pixel density on your MacBook Pro will be higher than the Benq display at about 32 inches. We're expecting the Mac Pro to have Thunderbolt 3 at a minimum as well, so you should be set there.

Regarding the BenQ, I haven't heard so much about it.
    amcliz
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Apologies, but I'm not fully understanding what you mean Mike by the MacPro having Thunderbolt 3 at a minimum.... the BenQ PD3200U has no Thunderbolt either but will there be an adaptor solution for this also.... as I would love to get the new Macpro in 2020 and use this new 4K monitor with it.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    amcliz said:
    Apologies, but I'm not fully understanding what you mean Mike by the MacPro having Thunderbolt 3 at a minimum.... the BenQ PD3200U has no Thunderbolt either but will there be an adaptor solution for this also.... as I would love to get the new Macpro in 2020 and use this new 4K monitor with it.
    If I had to pick a certainty for what the Mac Pro will have, it will have Thunderbolt 3 -- this is the minimum. It may have PCI-E for GPU cards, but it may not. One way or another, you'll be fine.

As a hair-split, what I've suggested with the USB-C to DisplayPort cable isn't technically an adapted solution. USB-C carries DisplayPort natively in what's called Alt-mode transparently to you. No dongle or conversion box required.
    edited January 2019 amcliz
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Please excuse my ignorance... I'm 100% not as expert as you.... but this new BenQ PD3200U doesn't have USB Type C or Thunderbolt 3 ports.... so how will I be able to connect it to a new MacPro if it has Thunderbolt 3.... you have explained I have a solution for my MacBook Pro 2017... I just wanna know that this potential new BenQ PD3200U monitor will work with a new MacPro.... hypothetically of course... as I know you don't have a crystal ball as to what exactly the MacPro 2019 will have...?

Thanks again Mike for all your excellent help and advice and apologies again for my lack of hardware knowledge.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    amcliz said:
    Please excuse my ignorance... I'm 100% not as expert as you.... but this new BenQ PD3200U doesn't have USB Type C or Thunderbolt 3 ports.... so how will I be able to connect it to a new MacPro if it has Thunderbolt 3.... you have explained I have a solution for my MacBook Pro 2017... I just wanna know that this potential new BenQ PD3200U monitor will work with a new MacPro.... hypothetically of course... as I know you don't have a crystal ball as to what exactly the MacPro 2019 will have...?

Thanks again Mike for all your excellent help and advice and apologies again for my lack of hardware knowledge.
    Okay. Given that Thunderbolt 3 on your MacBook Pro 2017 contains USB-C by definition, what you need is a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, like this one, that I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B01J6DT070

Hypothetically, the new Mac Pro will have Thunderbolt 3. So, same cable. Good to go! But, the new Mac Pro may also have a PCI-E slot for a card like the RX580 in your older 12-core Mac Pro, in which case, you'd connect with a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, like you can now.

edited January 2019
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Aaawwwwwww.... got you now... sounds like either way... this new monitor is future proof enough for me to take a chance on it.

Only reason I'm getting is that my current Apple 27" Cinema LED Display goes blank on me intermittently throughout ky day... sometimes a few times a day other times only one maybe... but very annoying... I bought the RX580 hoping it was a graphics card issue... but must be an internal power source issue with the monitor now instead and no local Apple repair people even wanna look at it... so a new monitor is the only way I can go really... and this 4K screen gets great reviews for value for money and quality.

I have never purchased a non-Apple branded peripheral like this before... hard drives yes... but especially not as important as a monitor... so I just wanted to research as best I could before purchasing.

Thanks again Mike for all your help and assistance.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    amcliz said:
    Aaawwwwwww.... got you now... sounds like either way... this new monitor is future proof enough for me to take a chance on it.

Only reason I'm getting is that my current Apple 27" Cinema LED Display goes blank on me intermittently throughout ky day... sometimes a few times a day other times only one maybe... but very annoying... I bought the RX580 hoping it was a graphics card issue... but must be an internal power source issue with the monitor now instead and no local Apple repair people even wanna look at it... so a new monitor is the only way I can go really... and this 4K screen gets great reviews for value for money and quality.

I have never purchased a non-Apple branded peripheral like this before... hard drives yes... but especially not as important as a monitor... so I just wanted to research as best I could before purchasing.

Thanks again Mike for all your help and assistance.
    Any time.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Hello again Mike...

I contacted BenQ Sales Query Support yesterday also and they finally came back to me this morning suggesting this cable... to guarantee the best quality 4K picture.... do you think this is correct or over the top as this cable retails at $74 on the Apple Store, will the other cable you suggested do the same job for so much cheaper..?

https://www.apple.com/sg/shop/product/HKQ22ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-to-hdmi-adapter?fnode=8b

• Reply 12 of 13
    amcliz said:
    Hello again Mike...

I contacted BenQ Sales Query Support yesterday also and they finally came back to me this morning suggesting this cable... to guarantee the best quality 4K picture.... do you think this is correct or over the top as this cable retails at $74 on the Apple Store, will the other cable you suggested do the same job for so much cheaper..?

https://www.apple.com/sg/shop/product/HKQ22ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-to-hdmi-adapter?fnode=8b

The other cable is fine. An adapter is ridiculous when you can use a native connection.
  • Reply 13 of 13
     :)Just reason I'm getting is that my present Apple 27" Cinema LED Display goes clear on me irregularly all through ky day... in some cases a couple of times each day different occasions just a single possibly... yet, irritating... I purchased the RX580 trusting it was a designs card issue... be that as it may, must be an interior power source issue with the screen now rather and no neighborhood Apple fix individuals even wanna take a gander at it... so another screen is the main way I can go truly... what's more, this 4K screen gets extraordinary audits for an incentive for cash and quality.