Apple has revoked Facebook's enterprise developer certificates after sideload violations [...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I was annoyed by an NPR/Marketplace story the other day that said that it was “ironic” that Apple had their FaceTime bug after Tim Cook has been so adamant about user privacy. They played two quotes from him saying “our users’ aren’t our products” and “we don’t sell their data.”  Only late in the piece did they air an alternative perspective pointing out that there is a difference between a bug and a policy and between selling data and allowing someone to hear snippets of audio. 

In any case, this new Facebook example is exhibit A (or Z) to explain the difference between FB and AAPL. 

Looks like NPR/Marketplace doesn't know what 'ironic' means.
    randominternetpersonmagman1979lolliverbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

auxio said:
    If I am Mark Zuckerberg, I will block all iOS users from using Facebook, even with Safari, immediately. Let's see which company will go bankrupt first.
    Given the multitude of social media options available to people these days, I know where I'm placing my bets.
    Is this something Apple should look at? A social media platform that doesn't rape your data?

They've never really had much success with the social media side of things though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Rayz2016 said:

auxio said:
    If I am Mark Zuckerberg, I will block all iOS users from using Facebook, even with Safari, immediately. Let's see which company will go bankrupt first.
    Given the multitude of social media options available to people these days, I know where I'm placing my bets.
    Is this something Apple should look at? A social media platform that doesn't rape your data?

They've never really had much success with the social media side of things though.
    Apple had hoped Facebook would serve as their social platform when they integrated it with iOS6. It didn't take Apple long to realize it may not have been a great idea. Kudos. 

There's no reason for Apple to get involved with yet another attempt at it IMHO. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 66
    Several people I know stopped using faKebook a long time ago.
    I never have and it looks like it was the right thing to do.
    svanstrommagman1979lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 66
    myhohawongmyhohawong Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    Rayz2016 said:

Neither, since folk will still be able to access the site through Safari.

But well done you for showing support for using children as products.
    Safari users cannot visit Facebook sites as suggested.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    LOL. Yeah, let’s see who that hurts more. Here’s a hint: mobile ad revenue is the lifeblood of Facebook. 
    Protecting privacy is important, but iOS users' experience on Facebook apps should not be affected. Apple is overreacting.
    Facebook repeatedly broke the rules. The punishment is just. Besides this doesn’t affect the Facebook app. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Given Apple's market penetration, this would be profoundly bad for FaceBook immediately, and have almost no effect on Apple in the long term.
    macseekermagman1979lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

LOL. Yeah, let’s see who that hurts more. Here’s a hint: mobile ad revenue is the lifeblood of Facebook. 
    Protecting privacy is important, but iOS users' experience on Facebook apps should not be affected.
    Though some won't mind, sure many iOS users will complain if they cannot visit Facebook on their devices.

Apple is overreacting.

If anything, Apple is under-reacting. If this was a smaller developer, they'd have no more certification at all, even for consumer-facing.
    rob53macseekerrandominternetpersonsvanstrombonobobmuthuk_vanalingamanantksundaramapres587magman1979mattinoz
  • Reply 29 of 66
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    What to expect from a person writing software to spy on (naked) women.
    FB is the root of all evil.
    magman1979lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 66
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    That will be a godsend.
    macseekermuthuk_vanalingamlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Rayz2016 said:
    This is why we love Apple and it's closed so App Store. 
    True, but this should have been caught by Apple a long time ago...

They were side-loading the app, the software didn't pass through Apple before it ended up on the phone. The use of vouchers was very clever, as it meant the whole thing could be kept a secret from the children's parents. 

What Apple needs to do is tighten up the enterprise developer programme, but that will be tricky without causing pain to the other 99% of developers who don't see children as commodities.

Agreed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 66
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

Protecting privacy is important, but iOS users' experience on Facebook apps should not be affected.
    Though some won't mind, sure many iOS users will complain if they cannot visit Facebook on their devices.

Apple is overreacting.

If anything, Apple is under-reacting. If this was a smaller developer, they'd have no more certification at all, even for consumer-facing.
    Totally agree. Where's all the congressional mouths screaming at Facebook, instead of Apple, for the obvious misuse of an app targeting minors? Facebook was wrong and needs to admit it. I wish Apple could fine Facebook for their illegal use of Apple's enterprise programming capabilities. I'd like to hear from enterprise users who have found this feature pop up in their apps (not sure this is built-in by Facebook or an option for developers) and have had employees "accidentally" use it.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 66
    rob53 said:

Apple is overreacting.

Totally agree. Where's all the congressional mouths screaming at Facebook, instead of Apple, for the obvious misuse of an app targeting minors? Facebook was wrong and needs to admit it. I wish Apple could fine Facebook for their illegal use of Apple's enterprise programming capabilities. I'd like to hear from enterprise users who have found this feature pop up in their apps (not sure this is built-in by Facebook or an option for developers) and have had employees "accidentally" use it.
    Fining Facebook is better than revoking Facebook's enterprise developer certificates. Any action and decision which will not potentially affecting users' experience will eb appreciated. 

As an end user, I don't want debugging and development of Facebook apps be affected.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Time for yet another ZAT (Zuck Apology Tour). 
    randominternetpersonboogerman2000watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 66

Apple is overreacting.

How is Apple overreacting?  Do you even understand what Apple did (and didn't do)?
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Rayz2016 said:
    I was annoyed by an NPR/Marketplace story the other day that said that it was “ironic” that Apple had their FaceTime bug after Tim Cook has been so adamant about user privacy. They played two quotes from him saying “our users’ aren’t our products” and “we don’t sell their data.”  Only late in the piece did they air an alternative perspective pointing out that there is a difference between a bug and a policy and between selling data and allowing someone to hear snippets of audio. 

In any case, this new Facebook example is exhibit A (or Z) to explain the difference between FB and AAPL. 

Looks like NPR/Marketplace doesn't know what 'ironic' means.
    Like rain ("ray-eeee-ain") on a wedding day.
    maltzlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 66
    JohnDee said:
    Several people I know stopped using faKebook a long time ago.
    I never have and it looks like it was the right thing to do.
    Then how do you exchange pervy messages with HS and college exes?

edited January 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 66

Apple is overreacting.

Retaliation is stupid, but if Facebook cannot maintain certain service standard for iOS users, blocking may not be nonsense at all.

Maybe "Fining" Facebook will be more acceptable to me, as an end user.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 39 of 66
    I'd like to stop using Facebook, but it would have negative consequences for me as a freelance tech. First, thats where a major chunk of the networking required to stay visible goes on. Second, there's a stigma attached to those who don't use it, similar to conspiracy theorists.

I don't understand why Facebook continues to enjoy widespread acceptance despite its obviously invasive actions and security breaches. Is it ignorance or apathy? Either way, for those whose income depends on word of mouth, it's difficult to be an early un-adopter.
    muthuk_vanalingamlolliver
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Dear, facebook mostly makes money from iPhone users. Please re-evaluate your thought.