Apple has revoked Facebook's enterprise developer certificates after sideload violations [...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    I'd like to stop using Facebook, but it would have negative consequences for me as a freelance tech. First, thats where a major chunk of the networking required to stay visible goes on. Second, there's a stigma attached to those who don't use it, similar to conspiracy theorists.

I don't understand why Facebook continues to enjoy widespread acceptance despite its obviously invasive actions and security breaches. Is it ignorance or apathy? Either way, for those whose income depends on word of mouth, it's difficult to be an early un-adopter.
    Leave Facebook and you’ll find the market outside it; but stay on Facebook and you’ll remain with the crowd that likes Facebook…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 66
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    What?  Facebook used unethical and duplicitous means to secretly gather its users' private information?  This is so unlike them, I don't believe it one bit.  Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.
    edited January 2019 magman1979GeorgeBMaclolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 66
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    One would think that Facebook would have learned and reformed after the Cambridge Analytica debacle.

Obviously, that was just a warmup.
    With another election just ramping up, what else does FaceBook plan to do to help others steal our data and interfere in the election?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 66
    If I am Mark Zuckerberg, I will block all iOS users from using Facebook, even with Safari, immediately. Let's see which company will go bankrupt first.
    XD - Do you know where Apple's and FB revenues come from? I bet you're the brightest guy on your block!
    magman1979lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 66
    So Facebook is appropriately facing scrutiny here.  How has Google’s Screenwise Meter so far gone without reprisal from Apple.  They are also clearly distributing enterprise built apps to outside users.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 66
    Rayz2016 said:
    I was annoyed by an NPR/Marketplace story the other day that said that it was “ironic” that Apple had their FaceTime bug after Tim Cook has been so adamant about user privacy. They played two quotes from him saying “our users’ aren’t our products” and “we don’t sell their data.”  Only late in the piece did they air an alternative perspective pointing out that there is a difference between a bug and a policy and between selling data and allowing someone to hear snippets of audio. 

In any case, this new Facebook example is exhibit A (or Z) to explain the difference between FB and AAPL. 

Looks like NPR/Marketplace doesn't know what 'ironic' means.
    A slight overgeneralization, perhaps, but Americans are not good at the irony thing. (FWIW, I am American).
    edited January 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 66
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

If I am Mark Zuckerberg, I will block all iOS users from using Facebook, even with Safari, immediately. Let's see which company will go bankrupt first.
    LOL. Yeah, let’s see who that hurts more. Here’s a hint: mobile ad revenue is the lifeblood of Facebook. 
    Protecting privacy is important, but iOS users' experience on Facebook apps should not be affected.
    Though some won't mind, sure many iOS users will complain if they cannot visit Facebook on their devices.

Apple is overreacting.

If anything, Apple is under-reacting. If this was a smaller developer, they'd have no more certification at all, even for consumer-facing.
    Retaliation is stupid, but if Facebook cannot maintain certain service standard for iOS users, blocking may not be nonsense at all.

Maybe "Fining" Facebook will be more acceptable to me, as an end user.
    It’s not retaliation. It’s enforcement. 
    kiltedgreenGeorgeBMaclolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 66
    LOL. Yeah, let’s see who that hurts more. Here’s a hint: mobile ad revenue is the lifeblood of Facebook. 
    Protecting privacy is important, but iOS users' experience on Facebook apps should not be affected.
    Though some won't mind, sure many iOS users will complain if they cannot visit Facebook on their devices.

Apple is overreacting.

Well, English isn’t my first language and obviously it isn’t even your second. So let me help a troll, just for kicks. If what you implied by your last was what you understood from the article, you should read it again, and again, and again...
    Rest assured that the FB app on your (supposedly you have an Apple device—although I doubt it) iPhone (or whatever) will keep working. And that is a loss to everyone around you.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Sadly, I can see Apple backing down from this. I wish they would go further and suspend facebooks whole developer account for two months or something to send them a serious message. But even this is something I didn’t expect, considering how much Apple tends to leave big companies away with.
    lolliver
  • Reply 50 of 66
    How is that facebook cafeteria food?
    edited January 2019 magman1979lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 66
    If Duck Duck or Signal were ever interested in developing a privacy-first Facebook clone, they say timing is everything.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 66
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    So Facebook is appropriately facing scrutiny here.  How has Google’s Screenwise Meter so far gone without reprisal from Apple.  They are also clearly distributing enterprise built apps to outside users.
    They are. Standby.
    boogerman2000magman1979lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 66
    Let's assume that Facebook did not violate the contractual agreement with Apple limiting enterprise developer tools only for distributing sw among employees inside an organization. Then Apple may opt to cover the legal fees for all those users who were paid $20 to sideload the VPN onto their devices, so they can go to court and demand to be recognized as "Facebook employees".
    edited January 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 66
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Rayz2016 said:

Neither, since folk will still be able to access the site through Safari.

But well done you for showing support for using children as products.
    Safari users cannot visit Facebook sites as suggested.
    Not to contradict, but yes, they can. I have a facebook account that I rarely use other than to check on our neighborhood association, but I have logged in via safari on my iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 66
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    One would think that Facebook would have learned and reformed after the Cambridge Analytica debacle.

Obviously, that was just a warmup.
    With another election just ramping up, what else does FaceBook plan to do to help others steal our data and interfere in the election?
    They did learn. They learned that it's a pain in the ars when you get caught and they need to be more careful next time!
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 66
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Zuckerberg is a creep. Facebook obviously serves a need for a lot of people, but in its current form I steer clear of the stench that surrounds it. Perhaps they will someday find a leader who has a moral compass and it will be deliver more than it takes away. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Fining Facebook is better than revoking Facebook's enterprise developer certificates. Any action and decision which will not potentially affecting users' experience will eb appreciated.  

As an end user, I don't want debugging and development of Facebook apps be affected.
    Fining Facebook without giving them any other punishment would be pointless.  FB could afford any fine Apple could levy and they would simply continue violating Apple's policy. However, revoking FB's certification gets their complete attention and, hopefully, modifies their behavior. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 66
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member

Apple is overreacting.

The facebook experience is ooverwhelmingly improved by using Safari isn't of the app.
    Installed Messanger the other day for family reasons battery life has died and running short on storage.

Facebook Apps are bloatware Apple should take a stick to their distribution certificate as well.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 66
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    apres587 said:
    Fining Facebook is better than revoking Facebook's enterprise developer certificates. Any action and decision which will not potentially affecting users' experience will eb appreciated.  

As an end user, I don't want debugging and development of Facebook apps be affected.
    Fining Facebook without giving them any other punishment would be pointless.  FB could afford any fine Apple could levy and they would simply continue violating Apple's policy. However, revoking FB's certification gets their complete attention and, hopefully, modifies their behavior. 
    Private enterprise doesn't have the authority to fine another private enterprise!
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 60 of 66
    tbornottbornot Posts: 116member
    This would make a great commercial.  Parents enter their child’s bedroom, and find a strange man in bed with their kid, and the man is wearing a Facebook hat. 
    watto_cobra