Apple reportedly testing three-camera iPhone with USB-C, plans major iPad enhancements for...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2019
Next year's iPhones will reportedly include models with a rear-facing 3D camera incorporating a laser scanner for purposes like augmented reality, while iOS 13 could deliver much-awaited features like Dark Mode and CarPlay enhancements.

iPhone X AR concept

The laser sensor should work at ranges up to about 15 feet, in contrast with the dot projection system on current iPhones' front-facing TrueDepth cameras, Bloomberg sources said on Wednesday. Apple is allegedly talking to Sony about testing components.

Unlike TrueDepth's dot projection solution, the time of flight (TOF) system rumored to be in the works creates depth maps by measuring the time it takes pulses of light to travel to and from a target surface. In December, rumors suggested Apple had shown interest in Sony sensor technology, while reports dating back to 2017 claim the tech giant was evaluating TOF systems.

The company had been hoping to put a rear-facing 3D camera system on 2019 iPhone models but decided to postpone, the sources said. This year's products should include successors to the iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max, with the biggest of the three having a triple-lens rear camera.

That extra lens may provide not just a wider field of view and more zoom options, but the ability to repair an image to include a subject that was accidentally cut out.

The laser technology could actually make its first appearance on a 2020 iPad Pro shipping as soon as spring 2020, one source said.

Separately, Apple is said to be doubling the length of Live Photos to 6 seconds, and testing versions of 2019 iPhones that use USB-C instead of Lightning. More definite iPhone hardware upgrades are said to include an improved TrueDepth camera.

An updated "budget" iPad could meanwhile ship this spring, retaining Lightning and a roughly 10-inch screen while moving to a faster processor. Sources backed rumors that Apple is working on an updated iPad mini, a tablet line last updated in 2015.

Apple's iOS 13 should finally include a long-awaited "dark mode" option, CarPlay upgrades, and yet another redesign of the iPad interface, Bloomberg indicated. Specifically that means a new home screen, file management improvements, and the ability to tab through several versions of a single app. It's not clear whether those file management enhancements might include an open filesystem, something long demanded of people wanting to use an iPad as a laptop replacement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    I figured the rumor about the three cameras months ago was solid, but not the USB Type C, which is a bit surprising to me.

Either way, I will be looking to get an X Max with the three cameras to replace my current iPhone 7 Plus, should it arrive in September.

Same for the next iPad Pro 12.9 inch to replace my first generation iPad Pro 12.9 inch. With iOS 13, these respective upgrades should both be very powerful.
    edited January 2019 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Can’t wait for CarPlay upgrades like making sure my WiFi connection quits dropping on my Alpine. 
    kiehtan
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Dark mode? How about spending some time bringing IOS up to MacOS capabilities? My iPad will never be able to replace a MacOS device until then.
    forgot username80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 5 of 23
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    iPod Touch with CarPlay would be sick.
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    iPad with tabbed app windows, better multitasking betweenapps, real file management accessing MS servers, better printing functions and genuine peripheral support. Yes yes!

Carplay with clear album art (that blurred **** is annoying), ability to show both navigation and music apps in the one screen.

Ability to use a wifi dongle in the car’s USB port to enable wireless CarPlay for any car with a carplay head unit already.

that said, Gurman and Bloomberg.  Hmmm.
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I have been begging for this for years now ! I hope it comes to fruition???

I would realy like to see a core user manageable file/folder sys with a consistent UI across the whole ecosys, accessible from all apps for All types of files.

The convoluted file sys of iso is a huge handicap. And the files app/cloud soultion is very compromised.

To me this is the biggest handicap holding a kick ass product like the new iPad Pro from its true Pro potential... along with the restricted i/o for external devices and storage.

edited January 2019
  • Reply 8 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The best upgrade would still be to add cursor support to the iPad.

The iPad can already handle an X-Box Controller -- a mouse or trackpad would, comparatively, be child's play.
    ...  I guess they are trying to protect their still weak MacBook lineup.

But, until they do that, for most people, the iPad is no where even close to being a laptop replacement.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 23
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    All good news. But, there are always complainers and some are not even IOS users.
    Lightening port/protocols are great but If Apple ever wants to move to USB-C on iPhones, I would say sooner is better as Apple participated in USB-C standards and there is no other better port spec on horizon than improving on wireless charging and data transfer. BT 5 is good but can not replace USB-C thunderbolt 3 speed and agility.
    racoleman29
  • Reply 10 of 23
    tbsteph said:
    Dark mode? How about spending some time bringing IOS up to MacOS capabilities? My iPad will never be able to replace a MacOS device until then.
    iOS isn’t going to replace macOS. They’ve said it time and again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    entropys said:
    iPad with tabbed app windows, better multitasking betweenapps, real file management accessing MS servers, better printing functions and genuine peripheral support. Yes yes!

Carplay with clear album art (that blurred **** is annoying), ability to show both navigation and music apps in the one screen.

Ability to use a wifi dongle in the car’s USB port to enable wireless CarPlay for any car with a carplay head unit already.
    It’s not possible for an iOS device to add wifi into your car’s head unit. The head unit runs on its own OS and requires implementation on their end to recognize and utilize a wifi adapter. iOS’ CarPlay merely interfaces with the head unit and uses it as an external display with touch events. Like most car infotainment complaints, you have to complain to the auto maker. 
    edited January 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23

The iPad can already handle an X-Box Controller -- a mouse or trackpad would, comparatively, be child's play.

But, until they do that, for most people, the iPad is no where even close to being a laptop replacement.
    Nonsense. You don’t know Apple very well if you believe they try to prevent cannibalization; they don’t. They’ve demonstrated this and spoken to it. 

You can call it weak, but I love my MBP — lightweight, powerful. Perfect for a software developer pro user (which per Craig is there top pro profession judging by apps installed). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    @tbsteph ;

Did you read the rest of that paragraph?

...and yet another redesign of the iPad interface, Bloomberg indicated. Specifically that means a new home screen, file management improvements, and the ability to tab through several versions of a single app. It's not clear whether those file management enhancements might include an open filesystem, something long demanded of people wanting to use an iPad as a laptop replacement.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Is quoting broken for anyone else on Safari/Mojave? It jumps to another screen with just the editor window with no quoted content or anything else. Super weird, just started doing this maybe since the most recent macOS update. Maybe they're trying to make it as difficult to use as on iPad. :D
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    @wood1208 ;
    BT 5 is good but can not replace USB-C thunderbolt 3 speed and agility.

Who said anything about Thunderbolt coming to iOS hardware?
    netroxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23

Nonsense. You don’t know Apple very well if you believe they try to prevent cannibalization; they don’t. They’ve demonstrated this and spoken to it. 

You can call it weak, but I love my MBP — lightweight, powerful. Perfect for a software developer pro user (which per Craig is there top pro profession judging by apps installed). 
    The new iPad Pro 12.9” is special, somewhere between a tablet and computer. The iOS, well I cannot wait for WWDC.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    I prefer unique connector. But consider that the first patent about a smartphone with 3 cameras is by Apple. Huawei copy the design of notch, and the 3 camera from Apple patent . Chinese zero originality . No software (all the brands use android because is free). 
    supadav03
  • Reply 18 of 23
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    wood1208 said:
    All good news. But, there are always complainers and some are not even IOS users.
    Lightening port/protocols are great but If Apple ever wants to move to USB-C on iPhones, I would say sooner is better as Apple participated in USB-C standards and there is no other better port spec on horizon than improving on wireless charging and data transfer. BT 5 is good but can not replace USB-C thunderbolt 3 speed and agility.
    Just why would we need TB3 for iPhone? USB-C is 10 Gbps so it's more than enough. You know that assuming that all interfaces operate at 10 Gbps would transfer the whole iPhone in just a few minutes but the reality is that the storage will not go that fast. 

• Reply 19 of 23
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    tbsteph said:
    It's not meant to.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    @netrox ;
    Just why would we need TB3 for iPhone? USB-C is 10 Gbps so it's more than enough. You know that assuming that all interfaces operate at 10 Gbps would transfer the whole iPhone in just a few minutes but the reality is that the storage will not go that fast. 

This is a pet peeve, sorry — but USB-C is a connector, ONLY. USB 3.1 gen 2 is the data protocol and is 10Gbps. Thunderbolt 3 is 40Gbps and happens to use the USB-C connector. Even AI gets this wrong all the time and it drives me batty. Just correcting the record.
    edited January 2019