Google is violating Apple's iPhone app privacy rules the same way Facebook did [u: disable...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    wood1208 said:
    Apple,you are business and while holding privacy Ethics torch, at the end of day you are a business to make money for shareholders and employees.  Stop this die-hard privacy triumph. Most people outside USA(may be some Europeans) don't even care privacy long as you sell your products and services cheap. Sorry, Money talks,walks, and everything else for most people in world...
    How many people on Apple products related websites like Apple-insider,9to5Mac,MacRumers,etc come and say give me privacy at any cost ? Most say, Apple products are expensive even thought they like to own.
    No idea where you get that idea about Europeans. After all, the EU gave us GDPR
    leftoverbacondysamorialeavingthebiggmagman1979lkruppRayz2016mbenz1962sphericjbdragonstompy
  • Reply 22 of 58
    wood1208 said:
    Apple,you are business and while holding privacy Ethics torch, at the end of day you are a business to make money for shareholders and employees.  Stop this die-hard privacy triumph. Most people outside USA(may be some Europeans) don't even care privacy long as you sell your products and services cheap. Sorry, Money talks,walks, and everything else for most people in world...
    How many people on Apple products related websites like Apple-insider,9to5Mac,MacRumers,etc come and say give me privacy at any cost ? Most say, Apple products are expensive even thought they like to own.
    We care about privacy very much.
    leftoverbacondysamoriamagman1979macseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 58
    wood1208 said:
    I'm here to say "Give me privacy at any cost". This is exactly the reason why I use Apple products.
    tmaydysamoriamagman1979lolliveremig647jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Wow, never heard of Screenwise. but I am familiar with Google Opinion Rewards. I actually used that for a very short time, up until it no longer was simply opinions on Google services and such but also questions of a more personal kind. That's when I uninstalled it.

If Screenwise is set up the same as Facebook's app then very bad on Google too. Breaking rules is breaking rules, and similar violations should get similar responses. 
    muthuk_vanalingamjbdragon
  • Reply 25 of 58
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    wood1208 said:
    Not all of us want to be slaves to laissez-faire capitalism. Even with all the techie libertarians here usually screaming for “freedom to do anything”, or “money at any cost”, and “ethics don’t belong in business”... you’re not going to find a positive response to your promotion of the death of privacy.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 58
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Does this mean that Apple didn’t find that the apps conduct some side loading?
    in this case I’m wondering how walled the garden actually still is. 
    Garden is still very walled. “Side-loading” does not go through the “walled garden”...

The apps don’t “conduct some side loading”. The user has to “side-load” (in this case be provided the app, in this case an .ipa, .apk (for Android)) the app. iOS devices will run apps not downloaded via the App Store if signed with a valid enterprise cert. this is meant for internal organization use only. iOS devices will launch those apps unless/until the enterprise cert is revoked; which is what apple has done.
    stompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 58

I live outside USA and I do care about privacy! Who told you people live outside USA we don’t care about our privacy?

Good ethics is important for good companies, and for people too!

lolliveremig647muthuk_vanalingammbenz1962jbdragonleftoverbaconwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 58
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    No Google or Facebook thingy on any of my or my family's devices.
    lostkiwijbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 58
    "This was a mistake, and we apologize."

How is signing up for the Enterprise Developer Program, coding an App and then making that App available through that same Enterprise certificate considered a "mistake"? This just doesn't happen by accident.

But hey, didn't Google try to claim that writing specific code to take advantage of a Safari exploit to continue tracking also called a "mistake" by them?

If these are mistakes, what does Google consider "intentional"?
    rwesmuthuk_vanalingamlostkiwijbdragonstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 58
    wood1208 said:
    Go home, you’re drunk. 
    Rayz2016macseekersphericstompyleftoverbaconwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 58
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

How is signing up for the Enterprise Developer Program, coding an App and then making that App available through that same Enterprise certificate considered a "mistake"? This just doesn't happen by accident.

But hey, didn't Google try to claim that writing specific code to take advantage of a Safari exploit to continue tracking also called a "mistake" by them?

Not defending Google here... just saying that before I say this so you don't read into this incorrectly.

I can easily see something like this slip under the radar at a corporation the size of Google. It wouldn't take much in development effort to pull it off and use their certificate. The right access privileges and you're off the races. With the number of engineers, engineering managers and people jockeying for position, I can imagine a scenario with a director saying something like "wow I wish would could swoop data on iOS devices in xyz fashion". Then a manager taking him literal and having an engineer work on it on the side. Semi-parallel to what happened at VW.

I believe Computer Science and Software Engineering degrees should require engineering ethics courses. So much shadiness going on now days.
    lostkiwijbdragonstompyleftoverbaconwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 58
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    wood1208 said:
    Yep, If they pull my Google Apps I'll swithch even if Pixel or Galaxy S9 isn't as good.    Apple didn't like the FaceBook app because they weren't getting a piece of the money paid to the users.    I think that paying users is great.   Phones are too expensive both hardware and carrier plans.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    wood1208 said:
    It's exactly because Apple is in business, privacy is important for it's one of the feature Apple push for high and ultra high end phones. Without that differentiator, iPhone will just be another cheap Android phones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 58
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    This just keeps on getting more disturbing. Please stop this Apple
    Do you even know what you’re talking about? These companies are using certificates outside of the terms of use to collect consumer data. You’re basically saying that Apple has no right to protect itself and it’s customers. Go buy yourself a cheap Android and join the assimilation. You are the product.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jkichline said:
    This just keeps on getting more disturbing. Please stop this Apple
    Do you even know what you’re talking about? These companies are using certificates outside of the terms of use to collect consumer data. You’re basically saying that Apple has no right to protect itself and it’s customers. Go buy yourself a cheap Android and join the assimilation. You are the product.
    I think he was saying that Apple should stop Google and Facebook using the iOS platform for exploitation. 
    muthuk_vanalingamstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 58
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    I can only imagine what goes on in android devices. Geez. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

emig647 said:

Not defending Google here... just saying that before I say this so you don't read into this incorrectly.

I can easily see something like this slip under the radar at a corporation the size of Google. It wouldn't take much in development effort to pull it off and use their certificate. The right access privileges and you're off the races. With the number of engineers, engineering managers and people jockeying for position, I can imagine a scenario with a director saying something like "wow I wish would could swoop data on iOS devices in xyz fashion". Then a manager taking him literal and having an engineer work on it on the side. Semi-parallel to what happened at VW.

I believe Computer Science and Software Engineering degrees should require engineering ethics courses. So much shadiness going on now days.
    As we’ve seen here, and with the recent “strikes” at Google over payoffs to keep sexual harassment complaints out of the press, the problem is the culture of these two companies, and that s coming from the top down. 
    jbdragonstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 58
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    clarker99 said:
    Rene Ritchie posed the question ‘should Apple abanadon Google (as default search engine)?’ Billions of dollars of ‘services’ revenue be damned. Google/Facebook are a disgrace. 
    It's interesting DuckDuckGo now has maps powered by AppleMaps. Would be good to see partnership extend.
    macseekermpw_amherstjbdragonleftoverbaconwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 58
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    k2kw said:
    wood1208 said:
    Yep, If they pull my Google Apps I'll swithch even if Pixel or Galaxy S9 isn't as good.    Apple didn't like the FaceBook app because they weren't getting a piece of the money paid to the users.    I think that paying users is great.   Phones are too expensive both hardware and carrier plans.
    1. They aren’t pulling google’s Customer apps. 2. Nonsense. FB is still available. 
    3. The issue isn’t paying customers. The issue is side loading apps on non enterprise phones. 
    jbdragonstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 58
    The Google/Facebook era is coming to an end. Sleezy scumbags will no longer be allowed to steal our data. Good.

watto_cobra