Apple's 'experiential retail' success lies in improving a customer's life claims Angela Ah...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    DAalseth said:
    6502 said:
    This woman makes $100 of millions, dresses in thousand dollar outfits and has made no material changes to Apple retail since Ron Johnson. And, Apple retail employees still make lousy wages. Remind me how she is deserving of this? She is simply the token woman at Apple.
    I'd suggest you look at this page:
    https://www.apple.com/ca/leadership/
    There's at least five highly placed women at Apple. That's not even counting the thousands of women in lower positions in the management tree.

I never said there aren't women employees at Apple. Angela is the token woman they drag out the most to say "look, we have women in leadership at Apple". She's accomplished nothing of significance at Apple, yet brings in a massive salary and pays retail employees crap. The only other one they drag out is Lisa Jackson who says the same thing every time on how environmentally friendly their products are. Yeah, we get it. And wow, Apple has a female head of HR; I've rarely seen a company that doesn't have a female head of HR.
    Did you even read the flippin' article?  https://www.voguebusiness.com/companies/angela-ahrendts-apple-retail-strategy
    Yes, the article says nothing. What enlightened you so much in the article? Ron Johnson is the hero of the Apple Store, plain and simple. Angela has done nothing significant.
    The article says nothing?  She has accomplished nothing of significance?  So you read the following (just one example from the article) and said "yeah, so what, I already knew that and anyone would have done exactly the same thing"?

The short answer is technology. At 506 stores around the world, Apple staff start their day with an app called Hello, which briefs them on the most important “need to knows” of the day, often featuring videos from Ahrendts and her team. A second app, Loop, functions as an internal social network where staff can share learnings with each other. “Someone might be selling more phones than anybody else and we ask them to share that on a 20-second video on Loop,” Ahrendts explains. “We use auto-translate and everybody in the world can see what Tom in Regent Street is doing. It’s a huge unlock, just getting all the stores to talk to one another.”

This approach to internal communication – using human-touch internal video conferences – helped employees buy into Ahrendts’s vision at Burberry.
    The same formula appears to be working at Apple. “Many retailers have become so big they’re removed from their own employees. They are lucky if they keep more than 20 per cent every year. We keep nearly 90 per cent of our full-time employees. We moved 20 per cent of the people in retail last year – they got promoted, took on new positions.”

As to whether anyone is worth $100 million per year... I suppose those billions of dollars in profits have to go somewhere.

Apple had high retention rate long before Angela took over retail, she had nothing to do with that. Working in retail is such an abhorrent experience that it doesn't take much to have a decent retention rate.

"As to whether anyone is worth $100 million per year... I suppose those billions of dollars in profits have to go somewhere." Really? That's the best intellectual response you can come up with? How about reduce prices so more people can afford Apple products instead of just one person benefiting with an outrageous payout?
    In my opinion (and I freely admit I’m not a mind reader) Cook hired Ahrendts to eventually replace him, but I doubt she’s getting the experience she’d need to run the entire operation from the retail side.
    God help Apple if that is true.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    @6502 ;
    The rest that you mention are just minor iterative updates that would happen whether she was there or not. I never said I have a problem with a woman earning more than I do, why would you assume that?
    It's cute that you think a retail organization of over 500 stores employing 70,000 people in 27 countries is just something that runs itself.

As for your second point, you literally said:
    Remind me how she is deserving of this? She is simply the token woman at Apple.

If you don't see the inherent sexism in that statement about one of the most successful retail executives in the world, I'm not sure anyone here can help you. But you're 100% wrong.

It's cute that you think Angela is changing light bulbs at the apple stores. The apple stores do run themselves, just like your engine does after turning the key. Of course all that had to be set up but that was done by Ron Johnson not Angela. Besides, Angela was not hired to manage the day to day operations of the apple store but to plan the long term strategy, of which she's done nothing. The apple stores are fundamentally no different than they were when Johnson set them up.

I'm sorry you're a SJW snowflake and can't handle the truth. Apple was heavily criticized by investors and (mostly) the press about not having enough women in the higher ups. So they went out on a women hiring spree. Angela even admitted in an interview that she told Tim Cook that she's not very good at retail but just happened to hire good people. No man would ever get hired in retail after saying that. Same for Lisa Jackson, she just recycles the same slides showing the iPhone to be highly recyclable and bromine free, etc... She was hired more for her Obama connections than anything else. Both these women make a crap load of money for doing next to nothing.
    Do you enjoy being a troll?

Everything you've said in this thread is either flat out wrong or moves the goalpost of the "debate."

WTF is arguing whether AA is better or worse than Ron Johnson?  That's like saying (as trolls do) that Tim Cook isn't the CEO that Jobs was.  Guess what?  Jobs is dead and Ron Johnson quit.  Your arguments that "she's done nothing" and that the retail experience is worse are easily countered.  If you read the article it lists of number of significant changes that have happened on her watch--at hear initiative.  To name just one more example, the "flagship store" concept was greatly expanded.  The original Apple Stores were mostly cookie cutters.  Now there are an increasing number of distinctive mega stores that are as much community centers than stores (to improve the brand and help people understand and appreciate the Apple way).  If you believe the story, she personally identified the Carnegie Library Apple Store possibility.  That was an outside-the-box idea; it's a quasi-public building that was sitting mostly unused on a great site, not it wasn't being pitched to developers as a retail possibility.  

If you want to know more about AA and why Apple poached her from Burberry and why she is so well compensated and respected by the other Apple execs, how about you spend 10 minutes Googling her name and reading just a few of the articles.  That fact that no one has personally invited you to spend a month in her shoes seeing exactly what decisions she makes and how she empowers/motivates others to perform isn't my problem.  I, for one, trust that Tim Cook and others don't just trot her out as a pretty face to assuage "investors and the press" who want to see more women in positions of authority.  She has experiences, insights, and a track record of success in areas that he Apple colleagues don't have.  Diversity means bringing together different skills and perspectives to create something better than would be possible from a team of clones.  I'm sorry that you don't get this.
    If speaking the truth is being a troll, then yes, I guess I do enjoy being one. I can't say it more succinctly than this: she has made $100's of millions with little to nothing to show for it (all while her employees make crap). I could care less about the Carnegie Library Apple store. I'm not going to travel to DC to see an apple store, I know what an iPhone, iPad and Macbook look like. It's not a museum. Apple stores are not community centers; you can't book one for weddings or meetings, and who would want to hang out all day at an Apple store? It's ludicrous. I've read many articles on her, including the one where she flat out told Cook that "I'm not good at retail, I just hired really good people". You try that at your next interview. And, don't forget, Tim also hired John Browett, so he doesn't always have the best judgement. Apple was routinely bashed in the press for not hiring enough women and the next thing you know they're trotting out Angela and Bozoma. Diversity means hiring people based on their gender and skin color first and talent level second. I'd rather hire people based on their talent, irrespective of their gender, race or religion.
    You’re saying there’s no applicable talent behind being a hugely successful CEO overseeing a premium brand undergoing massive growth? Hahahaha

No talent here, everyone is stupid but you:

edited January 2019 randominternetperson
  • Reply 63 of 80
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    @6502 ;
    The rest that you mention are just minor iterative updates that would happen whether she was there or not. I never said I have a problem with a woman earning more than I do, why would you assume that?
    It's cute that you think a retail organization of over 500 stores employing 70,000 people in 27 countries is just something that runs itself.

If you don't see the inherent sexism in that statement about one of the most successful retail executives in the world, I'm not sure anyone here can help you. But you're 100% wrong.

It's cute that you think Angela is changing light bulbs at the apple stores. The apple stores do run themselves, just like your engine does after turning the key. Of course all that had to be set up but that was done by Ron Johnson not Angela. Besides, Angela was not hired to manage the day to day operations of the apple store but to plan the long term strategy, of which she's done nothing. The apple stores are fundamentally no different than they were when Johnson set them up.

I'm sorry you're a SJW snowflake and can't handle the truth. Apple was heavily criticized by investors and (mostly) the press about not having enough women in the higher ups. So they went out on a women hiring spree. Angela even admitted in an interview that she told Tim Cook that she's not very good at retail but just happened to hire good people. No man would ever get hired in retail after saying that. Same for Lisa Jackson, she just recycles the same slides showing the iPhone to be highly recyclable and bromine free, etc... She was hired more for her Obama connections than anything else. Both these women make a crap load of money for doing next to nothing.

Everything you've said in this thread is either flat out wrong or moves the goalpost of the "debate."

WTF is arguing whether AA is better or worse than Ron Johnson?  That's like saying (as trolls do) that Tim Cook isn't the CEO that Jobs was.  Guess what?  Jobs is dead and Ron Johnson quit.  Your arguments that "she's done nothing" and that the retail experience is worse are easily countered.  If you read the article it lists of number of significant changes that have happened on her watch--at hear initiative.  To name just one more example, the "flagship store" concept was greatly expanded.  The original Apple Stores were mostly cookie cutters.  Now there are an increasing number of distinctive mega stores that are as much community centers than stores (to improve the brand and help people understand and appreciate the Apple way).  If you believe the story, she personally identified the Carnegie Library Apple Store possibility.  That was an outside-the-box idea; it's a quasi-public building that was sitting mostly unused on a great site, not it wasn't being pitched to developers as a retail possibility.  

If you want to know more about AA and why Apple poached her from Burberry and why she is so well compensated and respected by the other Apple execs, how about you spend 10 minutes Googling her name and reading just a few of the articles.  That fact that no one has personally invited you to spend a month in her shoes seeing exactly what decisions she makes and how she empowers/motivates others to perform isn't my problem.  I, for one, trust that Tim Cook and others don't just trot her out as a pretty face to assuage "investors and the press" who want to see more women in positions of authority.  She has experiences, insights, and a track record of success in areas that he Apple colleagues don't have.  Diversity means bringing together different skills and perspectives to create something better than would be possible from a team of clones.  I'm sorry that you don't get this.
    If speaking the truth is being a troll, then yes, I guess I do enjoy being one. I can't say it more succinctly than this: she has made $100's of millions with little to nothing to show for it (all while her employees make crap). I could care less about the Carnegie Library Apple store. I'm not going to travel to DC to see an apple store, I know what an iPhone, iPad and Macbook look like. It's not a museum. Apple stores are not community centers; you can't book one for weddings or meetings, and who would want to hang out all day at an Apple store? It's ludicrous. I've read many articles on her, including the one where she flat out told Cook that "I'm not good at retail, I just hired really good people". You try that at your next interview. And, don't forget, Tim also hired John Browett, so he doesn't always have the best judgement. Apple was routinely bashed in the press for not hiring enough women and the next thing you know they're trotting out Angela and Bozoma. Diversity means hiring people based on their gender and skin color first and talent level second. I'd rather hire people based on their talent, irrespective of their gender, race or religion.
    You’re saying there’s no applicable talent behind being a hugely successful CEO overseeing a premium brand undergoing massive growth? Hahahaha

Those "awards" are meaningless and are used to drive ads in magazines (honorary doctorate, hahaha). Elizabeth Holmes was given many similar awards and we all know what a fraud she was. I noticed the awards stopped after she joined Apple, again proving my point she's done nothing to command her $100M salary. Why are you so in love with her? What has she done for you? I never even heard of Burberry until Angela was hired at Apple. She took over Burberry after the retirement of the previous very successful CEO and the CEO that came in after her was far more successful than she was. She's good at riding the coattails of others.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    DAalseth said:
    6502 said:
    This woman makes $100 of millions, dresses in thousand dollar outfits and has made no material changes to Apple retail since Ron Johnson. And, Apple retail employees still make lousy wages. Remind me how she is deserving of this? She is simply the token woman at Apple.
    There's at least five highly placed women at Apple. That's not even counting the thousands of women in lower positions in the management tree.

I never said there aren't women employees at Apple. Angela is the token woman they drag out the most to say "look, we have women in leadership at Apple". She's accomplished nothing of significance at Apple, yet brings in a massive salary and pays retail employees crap. The only other one they drag out is Lisa Jackson who says the same thing every time on how environmentally friendly their products are. Yeah, we get it. And wow, Apple has a female head of HR; I've rarely seen a company that doesn't have a female head of HR.
    Did you even read the flippin' article?  https://www.voguebusiness.com/companies/angela-ahrendts-apple-retail-strategy
    Yes, the article says nothing. What enlightened you so much in the article? Ron Johnson is the hero of the Apple Store, plain and simple. Angela has done nothing significant.
    The article says nothing?  She has accomplished nothing of significance?  So you read the following (just one example from the article) and said "yeah, so what, I already knew that and anyone would have done exactly the same thing"?

The short answer is technology. At 506 stores around the world, Apple staff start their day with an app called Hello, which briefs them on the most important “need to knows” of the day, often featuring videos from Ahrendts and her team. A second app, Loop, functions as an internal social network where staff can share learnings with each other. “Someone might be selling more phones than anybody else and we ask them to share that on a 20-second video on Loop,” Ahrendts explains. “We use auto-translate and everybody in the world can see what Tom in Regent Street is doing. It’s a huge unlock, just getting all the stores to talk to one another.”

This approach to internal communication – using human-touch internal video conferences – helped employees buy into Ahrendts’s vision at Burberry.
    The same formula appears to be working at Apple. “Many retailers have become so big they’re removed from their own employees. They are lucky if they keep more than 20 per cent every year. We keep nearly 90 per cent of our full-time employees. We moved 20 per cent of the people in retail last year – they got promoted, took on new positions.”

As to whether anyone is worth $100 million per year... I suppose those billions of dollars in profits have to go somewhere.

Apple had high retention rate long before Angela took over retail, she had nothing to do with that. Working in retail is such an abhorrent experience that it doesn't take much to have a decent retention rate.

"As to whether anyone is worth $100 million per year... I suppose those billions of dollars in profits have to go somewhere." Really? That's the best intellectual response you can come up with? How about reduce prices so more people can afford Apple products instead of just one person benefiting with an outrageous payout?
    In my opinion (and I freely admit I’m not a mind reader) Cook hired Ahrendts to eventually replace him, but I doubt she’s getting the experience she’d need to run the entire operation from the retail side.
    God help Apple if that is true.
    Also, it wouldn’t be Cook who makes the final decision. That would be the Apple Board of Directors.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    @6502 ;
    I never even heard of Burberry until Angela was hired at Apple. 

Yeah, we're done here. You don't know what you're talking about.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 66 of 80
    @6502 ;
    I never even heard of Burberry until Angela was hired at Apple. 

Yeah, we're done here. You don't know what you're talking about.
    Please, get off your high horse, most Americans have never heard of this luxury English department store or "fashion house". Now go drive off your pretend Rolls Royce to your pretend reality. Say hi to the queen for me.
  • Reply 67 of 80
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    @6502 ;

It's not her job to convince the public that she, personally had done great things.  I don't know what Jonny Ive has done personally, do you?  How about any of the other big name Apple employees?  What has Cook done?

Their stratospheric compensation has come about because it's given in the form of stock options.  If the stock price hasn't risen they wouldn't have made "hundreds of millions of dollars."  That's call aligning the interest of executives with those of key stakeholders.

If you don't "care about" Apple's retail strategy, then of course you aren't giving credit to the person heading up that effort.  Maybe I don't care about wearables, so I won't credit anyone for the Apple Watch.

If I have a track record of success at the highest levels of business, and I'm recruited for an executive position, I can't see how saying that "I just hired really good people" is going to hurt me one bit.  Hiring really good people (and helping them thrive) is the single most important thing an executive can do.  But don't listen to me, here's what someone else said about this:  "I disagree totally. I think [hiring people is] the most important job.".  https://recruitloop.com/blog/steve-jobs-top-hiring-tip-hire-the-best/ ;

Tim Cook hired John Browett and then promptly fired him.  That seems like evidence that Cook is a demanding boss who doesn't tolerate bozos who don't bring anything to the table.  That tells me something about AA.

"Diversity means hiring people based on their gender and skin color first and talent level second."  Yeah, no.  That's not what it means.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 68 of 80
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    @6502 ;

Those "awards" are meaningless and are used to drive ads in magazines (honorary doctorate, hahaha). Elizabeth Holmes was given many similar awards and we all know what a fraud she was. I noticed the awards stopped after she joined Apple, again proving my point she's done nothing to command her $100M salary. Why are you so in love with her? What has she done for you? I never even heard of Burberry until Angela was hired at Apple. She took over Burberry after the retirement of the previous very successful CEO and the CEO that came in after her was far more successful than she was. She's good at riding the coattails of others.
    Thanks for your insights in a company that you'd never heard of.  Here's some alternative views:

Burberry was struggling and rudderless before AA stepped in:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkotter/2013/02/26/burberrys-secrets-to-successful-brand-reinvention/#7a6e9fe5ad56
    Burberry is current struggling:  https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/news-analysis/burberry-skeptics-still-dominate-as-gobbetti-seeks-turnaround

"Great brands and great businesses have to be great storytellers too." So begins a video that Angela Ahrendts, then CEO of Burberry, prepared a couple of years ago for New York's annual Future of StoryTelling summit. Before she left last year to take over retail operations at Apple, Ahrendts and her creative director and eventual successor, Christopher Bailey, led one of the most remarkable luxury brand turnarounds in business history. And they did it on the power of story—which is why Paul Woolmington and I use Burberry as a key case study in our Columbia seminaron digital storytelling strategy"  https://www.deepmediaonline.com/deepmedia/2015/04/burberry-how-a-luxury-brand-turned-itself-around.html

But perhaps you'll attribute all the success of Burberry (which you'd never heard of) to Christopher Bailey, because after all he's a man, so all his success is based on his personal skill and hard work rather than being handed to his in the name of diversity.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 69 of 80
    @6502 ;
    "Please, get off your high horse, most Americans have never heard of this luxury English department store or "fashion house". Now go drive off your pretend Rolls Royce to your pretend reality. Say hi to the queen for me."
    Bull fucking shit, they're a huge brand, and all signs point to her killing it at that job. She's literally one of the most powerful business people in the world and you're writing her off because of your own ignorance and bigotry. Given your rampant sexism and condescending tone, I'm almost willing to bet money you're the thankfully banned Tallest Skil back under a new nom de plume. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 70 of 80
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    @macwhiz ;
    When you have an issue, the Apple Store becomes a Kafka-esque nightmare. Even with an appointment, you'll be facing a wait. You'll have to somehow figure out who the one person in the store who can check you in might be, and where they are; there's no signage or particular uniform to make this clear. They'll shuffle you off to someone else, who will eventually take you to a chair at the crowded Genius Bar to wait for yet another person to triage you, and eventually you'll get yet another person to take care of your problem.

That is, if they have the parts on hand in the right box. I had a failed iPad Smart Keyboard. The store I went to was out of replacement keyboards in repair boxes in the back room, so I was told I'd have to come back in next week when they got more of them. That's a two-hour round trip for me. They couldn't ship the replacement to my home, because I'd come into the store to initiate the process. They couldn't give me one of the Smart Keyboards sitting on the display shelf, because it was in retail packaging, not repair packaging.

I've never had any amount of confusion figuring out who to talk to. You literally can get checked in by nearly anyone on the floor. They direct you appropriately to where to wait and take notes about your appearance so your assigned rep can easily find you. YOU don't need any signage, that's the whole point.

If you were really the whiz you claim to be, you'd know that you could've figured this out over chat online with a rep and potentially done this whole exchange without leaving your home. 

One issue is that stores and online work on different rules.  For example, stores are forced to only do a screen replacement even if the customer is fine with paying more for a refurb.  Online you can just get a refurb.

Store managers have no latitude to simply make it happen anymore.  That doesn’t happen very often at Nordstrom’s.  The Apple retail experience has declined in recent years and IMHO lost its customer centric focus.  No I don’t really care to hang out at an Apple store.  I want them to take care of me as a customer at the same high level as at Nordstroms.  Never been to a Burberry but the reviews also show spotty CX ranging from excellent to “lots of staff trying to look busy and ignoring you”.

Meh.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    @6502 ;
    So Apple Stores are not actually stores, they're just pickup locations? Ok.

That's not what I said. I said if you knew exactly what you needed, you could order online and pick up at the store without waiting in line. It's a huge advantage over going through the process that the OP described. You can chalk up this improvement in Apple stores to Ms. Ahrendts tenure, even though she doesn't do anything in your mind. 
    That started with the Apple Store app in 2010 and evolved to what we have today.  Here is a question regarding In store pickup from 2012.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4046442

That it has changed with improving technology isn’t surprising but it’s not something new added in her tenure.
  • Reply 72 of 80
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    DAalseth said:
    6502 said:

I hope not.  That would be a disaster of Pepsi proportions.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    @retrogusto ;
    I have to agree with others here in saying that the Apple Store experience was probably better under Ron Johnson—at least my own experience in the U.S. I bought a new XS a few weeks ago, and went in knowing exactly what I wanted, but it seemed unnecessarily slow and convoluted. I walked in and looked around for a free sales person, couldn’t find one so I waited next to one who was talking to someone else, when he stopped talking to them I told him I wanted a phone and knew exactly what I wanted, he then put me on a waiting list to talk to somebody else who could actually sell me a phone, that guy arrived after about 10 minutes, I told him what I wanted, he then ordered it from somebody else who brought the phone out after 5-8 minutes (while the sales guy gave me unsolicited demos of some of his favorite apps), the guy started to ring me up and I pointed out he had hadn’t brought out the headphone dongle I had also requested, so we went together to get that, then he rang me up and I paid with Apple Pay. It took over a half hour, which was about a half hour longer than it should have, and messed up the rest of my tightly scheduled day. 
    You did it wrong. You should've ordered online and have it available for pickup at your local store when you walk in. They've made this all so much easier to do this way, especially because as you've found, the stores are fucking busy as hell. Why wait in line if you don't have to?
    Maybe because it shouldn’t suck?
    Maybe because it didn’t used to suck except on launch days...and even then, once you got to the front of the line it didn’t suck?

Nah.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    @6502 ;

It's not her job to convince the public that she, personally had done great things.  I don't know what Jonny Ive has done personally, do you?  How about any of the other big name Apple employees?  What has Cook done?

Their stratospheric compensation has come about because it's given in the form of stock options.  If the stock price hasn't risen they wouldn't have made "hundreds of millions of dollars."  That's call aligning the interest of executives with those of key stakeholders.

If you don't "care about" Apple's retail strategy, then of course you aren't giving credit to the person heading up that effort.  Maybe I don't care about wearables, so I won't credit anyone for the Apple Watch.

If I have a track record of success at the highest levels of business, and I'm recruited for an executive position, I can't see how saying that "I just hired really good people" is going to hurt me one bit.  Hiring really good people (and helping them thrive) is the single most important thing an executive can do.  But don't listen to me, here's what someone else said about this:  "I disagree totally. I think [hiring people is] the most important job.".  https://recruitloop.com/blog/steve-jobs-top-hiring-tip-hire-the-best/ ;

Tim Cook hired John Browett and then promptly fired him.  That seems like evidence that Cook is a demanding boss who doesn't tolerate bozos who don't bring anything to the table.  That tells me something about AA.

"Diversity means hiring people based on their gender and skin color first and talent level second."  Yeah, no.  That's not what it means.
    I know what Ives has done by holding the products.
    I know what Cook has done by holding the stock.
    I know what AA has done by going to the retail store.

One of these three I am far less impressed with.

Is there any particular reason you believe that holding Apple to the same retail experience as the best in the business is incorrect?  Especially when they had that same level of customer experience in the past?

Finally, Apple isn’t Burberry.  It’s not a luxury brand but a premium one and there is a subtle but significant difference.  It cannot support the bespoke experience you might expect at Burberry (although that apparently can be spotty) but rather the high quality experience from a higher volume premium retail environment (aka Nordstroms).

It isn’t Rolls Royce or Bentley but BMW.  My expectations are premium without the frou-frou and obsequious snobbery associated with pure luxury branding.

As you say, AA brings something to the table or TC would have canned her by now but customer focused retail isn’t one of them.  Turning Apple Stores into community environments isn’t ultimately going to be any more successful than RJ’s attempt at JCP if the core CX suffers because of it.
    edited January 2019 6502
  • Reply 75 of 80
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    @6502 ;

Jonny Ive runs the design department and we see the results of that work in the products apple sells. Craig runs software and we see his results in iOS and macOS. Tim Cook runs the company and we see the results of that in Apple's stock price among other areas. Angela runs retail and we (should) see the result of that in apple's retail stores.

I know the executive's compensation comes mainly from stock options but apple is not a startup on series A funding. Angela didn't quit her CEO job at burberry thinking it was a 50-50 chance her apple stock options might be worthless when they vest, she knew damn well they'd be worth many many millions or she wouldn't have taken the job. She's incompetent, yes, but not stupid. And, are you really justifying a small number of executives making $100M's while apple store retail employees make shit? 

If her main skill is hiring good people, perhaps she'd be better as HR VP, not retail VP. SJ did a lot more than just hire good people, of course. Imagine me as a PhD chemist saying at an interview, "I'm not a very good chemist, but I hired really good research assistants to compensate for my lack of chemistry knowledge". Sounds ridiculous because it is.

Browett was known for cutting costs and customer experience to drive profit and Tim hired him any way. He then realized his mistake and fired him. He can't now fire Angela cause then he would look like a bozo.

Diversity is exactly what I said, hiring based on skin color or gender first and talent second. I noticed you didn't bother to give me your definition. 
  • Reply 76 of 80

@6502 ;
    "Please, get off your high horse, most Americans have never heard of this luxury English department store or "fashion house". Now go drive off your pretend Rolls Royce to your pretend reality. Say hi to the queen for me."
    Bull fucking shit, they're a huge brand, and all signs point to her killing it at that job. She's literally one of the most powerful business people in the world and you're writing her off because of your own ignorance and bigotry. Given your rampant sexism and condescending tone, I'm almost willing to bet money you're the thankfully banned Tallest Skil back under a new nom de plume. 
    I asked 30 people where I work (statistically significant) if they've heard of burberry, 28 said no and 2 said yes. And, those 2 were originally from england. Burberry is ranked 94th of the top 100 brands (https://www.interbrand.com/best-brands/best-global-brands/2018/ranking/).

But I did check out their products, they sell an ordinary cotton t-shirt for $190 (https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/burberry-jenson-embroidered-logo-tee?ID=3080014&CategoryID=3864#fn=ppp=undefined&sp=NULL&rId=NULL&spc=63&cm_kws=burberry sale&spp=19&pn=1|1|19|63&rsid=undefined&smp=exactMultiMatch)

And a dull hoodie for $390 (https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/burberry-fordson-zip-front-hoodie-prod206350027?childItemId=NMN56AC_&navpath=cat000000_cat000730_cat000227&page=0&position=3&uuid=PDP_PAGINATION_18e390a48e75133bdeada3fac3fd7270_5cphETxzP+gpUnoIyQ6lzkYv)

If she got idiots to buy that crap, then maybe she is a genius.
    You can criticize women and not be sexist, or in your book are women beyond criticism?
    I have no idea who Tallest Skil is. But, someone who has different opinions than you should be banned? Ok, I get it.
  • Reply 77 of 80
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    @6502 ;

Jonny Ive runs the design department and we see the results of that work in the products apple sells. Craig runs software and we see his results in iOS and macOS. Tim Cook runs the company and we see the results of that in Apple's stock price among other areas. Angela runs retail and we (should) see the result of that in apple's retail stores.

I know the executive's compensation comes mainly from stock options but apple is not a startup on series A funding. Angela didn't quit her CEO job at burberry thinking it was a 50-50 chance her apple stock options might be worthless when they vest, she knew damn well they'd be worth many many millions or she wouldn't have taken the job. She's incompetent, yes, but not stupid. And, are you really justifying a small number of executives making $100M's while apple store retail employees make shit? 

If her main skill is hiring good people, perhaps she'd be better as HR VP, not retail VP. SJ did a lot more than just hire good people, of course. Imagine me as a PhD chemist saying at an interview, "I'm not a very good chemist, but I hired really good research assistants to compensate for my lack of chemistry knowledge". Sounds ridiculous because it is.

Browett was known for cutting costs and customer experience to drive profit and Tim hired him any way. He then realized his mistake and fired him. He can't now fire Angela cause then he would look like a bozo.

Diversity is exactly what I said, hiring based on skin color or gender first and talent second. I noticed you didn't bother to give me your definition. 
    I already gave you my definition of diversity.  Here's another:  "Diversity is any dimension that can be used to differentiate groups and people from one another. In a nutshell, it’s about empowering people by respecting and appreciating what makes them different, in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation, education, and national origin."  https://globaldiversitypractice.com/what-is-diversity-inclusion/ ; But I get it, it's not something you care about, so you haven't tried to become informed about it.  Obviously you aren't a manager or executive, or you would have been well exposed to this by now.
  • Reply 78 of 80
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    @6502 ;

I already gave you my definition of diversity.  Here's another:  "Diversity is any dimension that can be used to differentiate groups and people from one another. In a nutshell, it’s about empowering people by respecting and appreciating what makes them different, in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation, education, and national origin."  https://globaldiversitypractice.com/what-is-diversity-inclusion/ ; But I get it, it's not something you care about, so you haven't tried to become informed about it.  Obviously you aren't a manager or executive, or you would have been well exposed to this by now.
    No, I am not an executive but I am a manager and am responsible for hiring and have hired many. I look solely at the candidates skills, talents, how they'd fit in, and how they can make my company better. I give zero importance to the color of their skin, gender or religion, which is the way it should be. Why would I hire a less talented person just to have more "diversity"? But, I sure hope my competition does.
  • Reply 79 of 80
    @6502 ;
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    @6502 ;

Ha ha, she just quit (or was likely forced out) so I was right that she was worthless.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 80 of 80
    6502 said:
    @6502 ;
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    @6502 ;

Ha ha, she just quit (or was likely forced out) so I was right that she was worthless.
    As of yet, there is zero evidence of anything of the sort. I'm no mathematician, but obviously she wasn't "worthless" or she wouldn't have been getting paid the most out of anyone at Apple for the last five years.