iPhone SE returns to Apple's clearance store for third time in January

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is once more selling the iPhone SE on clearance in the U.S., in what may be one of the last opportunities for American shoppers to get the phone new.

iPhone SE

The product costs $249 for a 32-gigabyte version, or $299 for 128 gigabytes. Apple's most recent list prices for the phones were $349 and $449, respectively.

Apple officially discontinued most sales of the iPhone SE in September, making the iPhone 7 its cheapest model outside of India. To the public's surprise though the phone returned to the U.S. on Jan. 19, followed by a second wave of clearance sales on Jan. 23.

The company is presumably trying to liquidate remaining inventory as fast as possible. Both previous batches sold out quickly, the first in about one day.

Several third-party retailers also have the SE in stock. If you want a new model, eBay is your best bet. If you're open to a refurbished model, Amazon and BuyBackWorld are viable options.

Retailers with the iPhone SE in stock:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Just fwd’ this to a friend of mine. He bought instantly. Was on a 7. I would get too if my 5s wasn’t just fine (and I could justify cost). I think Apple could sell a few boat loads of 5/5s/SE bodys with 8 internals & edge-to-edge screen.
    baconstang
  • Reply 2 of 27
    This would be great if they kept size and upgraded processor. Their support will end soon and $300 might be waste of money. Having hardware upgraded phone for $500 that would be supported for next 4 years would be much better option. I was presonally in the situation like that and as much as I like iPhone SE and its attractive proice I will not buy it because of limited time support. I upgrade mobile phones every 4-5 years. I don not care what others do and I definitelly do not have time for playing phone upgrades and hype - this only tool for me. So to keep cost effiency and upgrade I went Android LG which offers solid functions (some quality is way better than newest iPhones like screen and sound). Sorry Apple, but that was good run with 5S for last years. No more and absolutely nothing that exceeds $600 price mark for phone.
    michaelahlers80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 3 of 27
    There is still a reasonable demand for this form factor in an iPhone (i.e., not a phablet).  It fits easily in my pocket and provides all of the information/entertainment I want when I need it.  Apple is really missing a significant revenue opportunity by not offering an SE-sized iPhone with upgraded innards.
    GeorgeBMacmichaelahlersbaconstangsandor
  • Reply 4 of 27
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    This would be great if they kept size and upgraded processor. Their support will end soon and $300 might be waste of money. Having hardware upgraded phone for $500 that would be supported for next 4 years would be much better option. I was personally in the situation like that and as much as I like iPhone SE and its attractive price I will not buy it because of limited time support. I upgrade mobile phones every 4-5 years. I do not care what others do and I definitely do not have time for playing phone upgrades and hype - this only tool for me. So to keep cost efficiency and upgrade I went Android LG which offers solid functions (some quality is way better than newest iPhone's like screen and sound). Sorry Apple, but that was good run with 5S for last years. No more and absolutely nothing that exceeds $600 price mark for phone.
    This is what I tell people who say if I don't want to pay $1k+ for an iPhone XS then get an 8 or a 7. Yes I can save a few hundred but it will have a significantly shorter lifespan. Apple will stop pushing iOS updates that much sooner. I am not sure if my SE or my wife's 6 will get iOS 13 later this year. Once that happens the clock is ticking. We will be looking to update after that. It makes no sense to replace them with a 7 that will be in the same boat in a year or two. 
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Back when Apple had values.

michaelahlersdesignratomic101Mike14980s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 6 of 27
    If you don't mind a phone attached to a carrier, the 32 GB iPhone SE is available fo $0 with MetroPCS. Keep in mind MetroPCS is Really T-Mobile. I also think MetroPCS plans are comparable to T-Moblie.
    michaelahlers
  • Reply 7 of 27
    My girlfriend had a lost-phone last week. I reassured her that I had an identical SE lying around that she could clone from backup, but was quite relieved when it turned up and I didn't have to sacrifice my beloved.
    cornchip said:
    Just fwd’ this to a friend of mine. He bought instantly. Was on a 7. I would get too if my 5s wasn’t just fine (and I could justify cost). I think Apple could sell a few boat loads of 5/5s/SE bodys with 8 internals & edge-to-edge screen.
    yeah, still praying for an XSE some day… but what's this A10 shiz? Why do people keep thinking Apple is going to release a new low-end product with old internals? They never do that. They release with new internals to extend the shelf life, so they can do things like have iPad Minis and iPod Touches out for 3+ years without having to update them.

(The new iPads coming in March will have A12s. You'll see.)
  • Reply 8 of 27
    DAalseth said:
    This would be great if they kept size and upgraded processor. Their support will end soon and $300 might be waste of money. Having hardware upgraded phone for $500 that would be supported for next 4 years would be much better option. I was personally in the situation like that and as much as I like iPhone SE and its attractive price I will not buy it because of limited time support. I upgrade mobile phones every 4-5 years. I do not care what others do and I definitely do not have time for playing phone upgrades and hype - this only tool for me. So to keep cost efficiency and upgrade I went Android LG which offers solid functions (some quality is way better than newest iPhone's like screen and sound). Sorry Apple, but that was good run with 5S for last years. No more and absolutely nothing that exceeds $600 price mark for phone.
    This is what I tell people who say if I don't want to pay $1k+ for an iPhone XS then get an 8 or a 7. Yes I can save a few hundred but it will have a significantly shorter lifespan. Apple will stop pushing iOS updates that much sooner. I and not sure if my SE or my wife's 6 will get iOS 13 later this year. Once that happens the clock is ticking. We will be looking to update after that. It makes no sense to replace them with a 7 that will be in the same boat in a year or two. 
    The A9 chip found in the iPhone SE is pretty powerful. AR currently works with it. I also find it hard to believe that Apple would sell new phones and then eliminate them from upgrades 9 months later.
    michaelahlersMisterKitDAalsethbackstabbaconstang
  • Reply 9 of 27
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I keep missing this!!!!  I want one but cannot find the iPhone SE on the Apple Store app.

Any suggestions.....
    zroger73
  • Reply 10 of 27
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    imagladry said:
    DAalseth said:
    This is what I tell people who say if I don't want to pay $1k+ for an iPhone XS then get an 8 or a 7. Yes I can save a few hundred but it will have a significantly shorter lifespan. Apple will stop pushing iOS updates that much sooner. I and not sure if my SE or my wife's 6 will get iOS 13 later this year. Once that happens the clock is ticking. We will be looking to update after that. It makes no sense to replace them with a 7 that will be in the same boat in a year or two. 
    The A9 chip found in the iPhone SE is pretty powerful. AR currently works with it. I also find it hard to believe that Apple would sell new phones and then eliminate them from upgrades 9 months later.
    They won't. The 6S and SE are still available through authorized retailers, and the SE now directly from Apple. Until they are discontinued I seriously doubt they won't be included in the next update. They will at least get iOS 13, which is another 21 months. Either way, Apple just sold me two brand new 128GB SEs this morning, and with Apple Care will have to support them 100% for the next 3 years. Therefore, I'd be surprised in Apple didn't at least support two more OS updates for them to get close to the warrantied lifespan.  Then again, other than security patches, why would I even need updates? It works perfectly now to do everything I need, and the hardware isn't going to change, so it's not like any new ground breaking features can be added.
    baconstang
  • Reply 11 of 27
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

JWSC said:
    I keep missing this!!!!  I want one but cannot find the iPhone SE on the Apple Store app.

Any suggestions.....
    It's not on the App Store App -- web site only. There's only two models left tho ... better hurry.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/clearance/iphone
    JWSC
  • Reply 12 of 27
    JWSC said:

Any suggestions.....
    Same here. Second time I've missed this. I want an SE even though I have a perfect XS Max. Perhaps its the nostalgia.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    mac_128 said:
    imagladry said:
    DAalseth said:
    They won't. The 6S and SE are still available through authorized retailers, and the SE now directly from Apple. Until they are discontinued I seriously doubt they won't be included in the next update. They will at least get iOS 13, which is another 21 months. Either way, Apple just sold me two brand new 128GB SEs this morning, and with Apple Care will have to support them 100% for the next 3 years. Therefore, I'd be surprised in Apple didn't at least support two more OS updates for them to get close to the warrantied lifespan.  Then again, other than security patches, why would I even need updates? It works perfectly now to do everything I need, and the hardware isn't going to change, so it's not like any new ground breaking features can be added.
    I would like to think 13 would be assured, with luck maybe even 14, but we'll see. I would like to keep the phones another couple of years at least. 
    Touch wood.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    mac_128 said:

JWSC said:

Any suggestions.....
    It's not on the App Store App -- web site only. There's only two models left tho ... better hurry.

Let's me add to my bag, but won't let me check out. :(
  • Reply 15 of 27
    zroger73 said:
    mac_128 said:

JWSC said:

Any suggestions.....

Let's me add to my bag, but won't let me check out. :(
    I only see 32GB gold that can be added to “bag” for checkout right now
  • Reply 16 of 27
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    mac_128 said:

JWSC said:

Any suggestions.....

Awesome!!!  Thank you.  Just got two!
  • Reply 17 of 27
    McJobs said:

Absurd whining. Just because they aren’t aligned with your personal wants doesn’t all of a sudden mean they lack “values”. Get real. 
    backstabchristopher126
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Apple has access to the numbers, but I for one would love to see an updated SE the size of the SE's existing screen in an Xs form factor.

I don't need all the 'bell's and whistles' (when has any phone had 'bell's and whistles?').

I guess, thinking about it, Apple could make an SEx the size of the screen of the current SE with all those features and charge $999 for it! Go Apple! :)

Seriously, if iOS 13 does not support my SE...I'll recycle it and buy a rose gold refurbished iPhone 7 (to match my rose gold 2017 MacBook).

As a great philosopher once said, 'Sad.'
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 19 of 27
    McJobs said:

Absurd whining. Just because they aren’t aligned with your personal wants doesn’t all of a sudden mean they lack “values”. Get real. 
    Absurd whining? These are Apple's words. Their claims and statements. Unless the average human hand has grown significantly in the last few years how is what they said incorrect today? Mind you, I like the X / XS sized phone but his statement in that presentation is as true today as it was then. 

edited January 2019 baconstangmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 27
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Their support will end soon...
    Define 'soon'.

FUD.