AT&T & Verizon 5G rollouts stall, reinforce claims that tech not coming to iPhone until 20...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2019
The two biggest U.S. wireless carriers, AT&T and Verizon, are unlikely to have much in the way of true 5G service deployed by the end of 2019, perhaps backing the view that Apple won't have support in iPhones until fall 2020.

5G on iPhone XS Max

Verizon has a lack of standards-ready hardware, meaning it won't be able to expand home service beyond parts of Houston, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, and Sacramento until the second half of the year, CEO Hans Vestberg revealed in a results call on Wednesday. The carrier has no coverage map on its website.

AT&T so far has 5G in 12 cities, such as Houston, Atlanta, and New Orleans, but has kept quiet on exact coverage and performance.

The issue is that the carriers' equipment partners were unable to deliver on promises, PCMag noted. Motorola and Samsung are delaying standardized home routers to focus on phones, and AT&T may have launched using early firmware, capping performance.

AT&T has said it won't have nationwide mobile 5G until early 2020. In the interim it has come under attack for using a "5G E" label for what is really 400-megabit 4G.

Multiple reports have pointed to Apple waiting until 2020 to ship 5G-capable iPhones. Although rival phones with the technology are already on the market, both compatible modems and networks are in their infancy. The company's preferred modem maker, Intel, is unlikely to have a 5G chip ready until 2020.

The wait may disappoint 2019 iPhone shoppers hoping for futureproof devices. It's consistent with Apple's past approach to cellular standards though -- the original 2007 iPhone shipped without 3G, and 4G was missing in action until 2012's iPhone 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Apple tends to wait a while on new generations, the original lacking 3G, and 4G not coming until the iPhone 5 in 2012 is clear examples, quite frankly not seeing a 5G iPhone until 2021 is believable since there is no 5G phones out, and the networks haven't actually started rolling it out yet.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    But that won't stop snake-oil shops like Qualcomm to advertise their products as as 5G ready while pretending to ignore the fact that 5G isn't even out yet, or fully standardized yet for at least a couple years... and by then, other players like Apple will be ready.

lkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 39
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Better to wait. When 4G/LTE came out (before 4G was reinterpreted to mean network speeds of 100Mbps rather than the 4G technology - kind of like what 5GE seems to be now), it chewed through battery like a thing that chews through batteries. You couldn't even maintain charge on a device plugged into power running 4G.

Then, when the iPhone finally got 4G, I had to switch carriers because Telstra was the only one in Australia with any 4G build out worth a damn. (Current indications seem to be this will be the same for 5G over the next couple of years.)

So better to wait until the technology is a bit more established, and there's actually some networks for it to run on, than push it out the door to claim "We have 5G!" which seems to be the strategy of some other manufacturers.

• Reply 4 of 39
    Apple may find out that they are behind. For the record Verizon stops supporting CDMA this year and there will be only need for LTE 4G and 5G (nobody will care about CDMA modem anymore). Bringing any phone to Verizon from any networks supporting those (and as many channels as possible) may be a key to the market. If Apple does not pick up pace this would open field for Android. Nobody serious looks at some tiny differences of photo and video of todays smartphones (all look good enough for phone) as this is communication device in the first place. The edge is more in data exchange space probably. Can they present data to user in acceptable ways today? I would think so. All of them regardless of OS.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    What have some of us been saying for months? There’s no rush on this. Qualcomm’s modem is a battery buster even when not in active use. It’s also huge. 2020 is the earliest we should expect anything at all. Even then it’s almost nothing. 2025 is when it will get interesting.
    MplsP
  • Reply 6 of 39
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 614member
    5G is more hype than reality at this point. Yes, it is theoretically a lot faster than LTE, but it is not going to be all end all. It is going to cost more money (carriers will figure that out). It will evolve overtime like 4G did. The only areas that enjoy 5G will be large cities and expect the rollout to creep along. There is no incentive for Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile to do much other than keep up with the other guys. You won't find 5G in the cheap phones and even when it rolls out on the high-end phones it won't be ubiquitous. I would imagine battery life is going to be the first issue. Most users could care less about specs so it does not matter who gets there first. I mean does it mean anything if Facebook or Instagram load quicker? 99%+ people just want a phone to do that and take selfies for which 5G will have no effect. The people reading this form do not even remotely represent to standard consumer.
    Cynflorllama
  • Reply 7 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Getting consistent LTE coverage in my suburban area is a big plus. Let's talk 5G in 2021/22. It's not child's play. We know, it takes few years for a tech like 5G to roll out for sufficient coverage in places where many live and work. So, what's point of paying for tech in Phones or tablets or computers when you can't use it ?

edited January 2019
  • Reply 8 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sflocal said:
    But that won't stop snake-oil shops like Qualcomm to advertise their products as as 5G ready while pretending to ignore the fact that 5G isn't even out yet, or fully standardized yet for at least a couple years... and by then, other players like Apple will be ready.

You mean, of course, snake-oil shops like Qualcomm and Samsung. There, I fixed it for you. Soon we will have Samsung phones touting 5G Qualcomm modems but with no 5G carrier signal to connect to. Trolls claim Apple is just a marketing company. Well, what do you call offering something no one can connect to yet? That’s deceptive marketing in my book. At least we won’t have Samsung fans posting their 5G speed tests and commenting how late Apple will be to the game.
    edited January 2019 tmay
  • Reply 9 of 39
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    wood1208 said:
    Getting consistent LTE coverage in my suburban area is a big plus. Let's talk 5G in 2021/22. It's not child's play. We know, it takes few years for a tech like 5G to roll out for sufficient coverage in places where many live and work. So, what's point of paying for tech in Phones or tablets or computers when you can't use it ?

There is no point 
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Today it was announced that the encryption algorithm used to communicate with base stations for 5G (and several other Gs using GSM) has been cracked, allowing phones to be tracked.  This is very, very bad.  Stop the presses!
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Hmm, so no 5G, no significant AR advancement... Looks like 2019 is going to be a tough upsell year. Are there any big things I'm missing?

Not complaining, as Apple will undoubtedly still be making the best phones on the planet, but curious what the hook(s) is(are) going to be.

Rant: 
    Of course, most people would be thrilled if Apple advanced their services to a level that at least attempts to approximate the quality of their hardware and core software. But Apple seems content to let the services stagnate in mediocrity indefinitely:
    -Siri, even after 7(?)* years in development, still is completely incompetent and frustrating to use for even basic, everyday things
    -The most social app (and Apple's biggest opportunity to wedge into culture), Apple Music, still has nearly zero ability to customize a personal profile and socialize with others, a truly pathetic oversight at this point in its development.
    -Maps still sends me hundreds of miles away on basic searches (how many more years do we need to wait until they stop slow walking it and release Apple's walk-thru 3-d maps universe that they're obviously gearing up for?)
    -etc

*I just asked siri, "When was Siri released?", the answer, "Sorry, I can only take that request while you're listening to music or a podcast." Huh? It's pathetic how often siri fails, even though I try to keep my expectations as low as possible.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 12 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    I have no problems with device makers and service providers rolling out beta technology to early adopters who willingly sign up to be crash test dummies. This should be done through R&D channels and involve release of liability agreements. However, pushing beta technology, which 5G will hopefully achieve in 2020 or 2021, through the standard marketing channels to regular customers who are counting on the technology to serve them productively is totally unscrupulous. When do I want 5G in my connected devices? When it's done, tested, stable, and backed by industry agreed upon standards. Anyone putting 5G in their current customer facing sales channels should be keelhauled and flogged. Duped customers get to pick which order these are doled out...
    edited January 2019 llama
  • Reply 13 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    melgross said:
    What have some of us been saying for months? There’s no rush on this. Qualcomm’s modem is a battery buster even when not in active use. It’s also huge. 2020 is the earliest we should expect anything at all. Even then it’s almost nothing. 2025 is when it will get interesting.
    Exactly.

And I'm still waiting for someone to explain exactly how this will make my iPhone better. Everyone gushes about increased speeds, but decent LTE speed is plenty fast enough for anything you use a cell phone for. The frequencies actually have less ability to penetrate buildings, so it won't improve reception. If someone has some real world use that requires 5G, could they please speak up? 
  • Reply 14 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple may find out that they are behind. For the record Verizon stops supporting CDMA this year and there will be only need for LTE 4G and 5G (nobody will care about CDMA modem anymore). Bringing any phone to Verizon from any networks supporting those (and as many channels as possible) may be a key to the market. If Apple does not pick up pace this would open field for Android. Nobody serious looks at some tiny differences of photo and video of todays smartphones (all look good enough for phone) as this is communication device in the first place. The edge is more in data exchange space probably. Can they present data to user in acceptable ways today? I would think so. All of them regardless of OS.
    This article just got through saying the carriers are backpedalling on 5G deployment and it looks like not much of anything will happen this year. Did you not read the article? How could Apple find itself behind on a technology that likely won’t even be deployed until 2020, the year some predict the iPhone will get 5G? Your blathering makes no sense. An open field for Android? Really? After the exact same predictions made for every technology Apple was claimed to be behind on. Android had an “open field” on those too yet Apple is still here, still dominating the market. I don’t understand the logic you used to come up with your screed.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    All the rationalization excusing Apple for a product that will be obsolete the day it is released.

Could this be why all the politicized hoopla over Huawei?   Apparently they are the only ones who can do 5g right.
    muthuk_vanalingamNsummyavon b7curtis hannah
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Can I just get more LTE advanced coverage for parts of oregon where I go camping and can't call or text my wife if I take the kids down to swim. 
  • Reply 17 of 39
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Behind the curve but done right.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    All the rationalization excusing Apple for a product that will be obsolete the day it is released.

Could this be why all the politicized hoopla over Huawei?   Apparently they are the only ones who can do 5g right.
    If 5G is that important to you and you want to get a Huawei phone, you’re welcome to. Otherwise, could you please explain how a phone without 5G would be obsolete just because it doesn’t work in a few corners of New York and San Francisco that actually do have 5G, as well as what you actually *need* 5G for? 
    tmay
  • Reply 19 of 39

So you want Apple to release vaporware?

You want hardware from a shadier company than Samsung?  That’s pretty shady. 

So if only one company can do it and they have been accused of lying, either they are lying or the rest of the market is just that bad, or, the technology isn’t there yet.

Hmmmm I wonder which one it is?

• Reply 20 of 39
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:

There is no point 
    Its like buying 4k tv but no over the air tv broadcast....just so you can brag you have 4k capable tv