Switch between internal iMac speaker and headphone jack

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2019
I have a Late 2013 27" iMac that I want to hook a set of external speakers to.  The two options I have are either through the headphone jack which connects to the speakers via RCA, or by BT.  I think BT audio sucks so I want a hardware solution. When the cable is plugged into the headphone jack the internal speakers are bypassed even when the ext speakers are off. I want to be able to leave them plugged in and be able to switch between them and internal speakers. If I were to get a USB to headphone jack adapter such as the one below would it show as a sound output source in the sound control panel or would it still disable the internal speakers?

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Headphone-Microphone-Aluminum-Compatible/dp/B00NMXY2MO

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I think if you use USB Audio adapter it will not disable internal speakers. I also wanted to try this so please keep us updated
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    With the USB DAC like above, it will still give the option of the internal speaker in the sound source control panel.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Ok, thanks for the info!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Just an update, I ordered the USB audio adapter I listed in my original post and it works perfectly.  As Mike said above, in Sound preferences I can switch between internal speakers and USB Audio Device.