iOS 11 users unable to reach App Store, Apple Music, or iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Friday confirmed that some people are encountering problems reaching the App Store, Apple Music, and iTunes if they're using an iPhone or iPad with iOS 11.

Apple Music on iOS 11

Outages have been "ongoing" since at least 10 a.m. Eastern time, according to Apple's system status tracker. The company is providing few other details other than saying the services may be slow or inaccessible for "some" users. In reality problems began earlier in the day, according to Twitter and Reddit posts, possibly as far back as Thursday morning.

It's not clear what the trouble may be, but it could be related to recently-expired security certificates. Sources inside Apple not authorized to speak for the company have told AppleInsider that the impact is "profoundly limited" and suspect that it is related to content delivery networks impacted by the weather, and will rectify itself.

Most people are unlikely to be seriously affected since they can upgrade to iOS 12 if they haven't already done so. Devices prior to the iPhone 5s, iPad Air, and sixth-generation iPod touch are incompatible with iOS 12 however, and people running jailbreaks can't upgrade without losing them.

AppleInsider will continue to monitor the situation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    It’s true...  Apple iPad Pro 10.5” 512GB / iOS 11.2.1 > German Apple AppStore > Screenshots >
    stemgal92
  • Reply 2 of 19
    How about fixing bug of iTunes visibility of iPad and iPhone when your computer does not use APFS (legacy drive - not SSD). No it is not "newest version requiring Mojave"). It works fine on High Sierra only when you convert file system to APFS. And yes OS system sees iPhone on USB because Photo does not have issue (seems like bug in iTunesrelated to file system).
  • Reply 3 of 19
    IPad mini was released: November 2, 2012
    iPhone 5s was realeased: 
    September 20, 2013

Maybe this was a premature breakage to get the iPad mini folks to upgrade.  Oops.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    iPhone 5s was realeased: September 20, 2013

Maybe this was a premature breakage to get the iPad mini folks to upgrade.  Oops.
    Yep, just like clockwork some asshat makes the claim Apple is doing this on purpose. Meanwhile, this is a big NOTHING TO SEE HERE moment. It’s broke. Apple will fix it. End of story. No conspiracy theories needed to explain it. 
    maxit
  • Reply 5 of 19
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    I have the same issue on jailbroken iPad mini 4 running iOS 11.1
    "cannot connect to App Store"
  • Reply 6 of 19
    jce10jce10 Posts: 36member
    lkrupp said:

Yep, just like clockwork some asshat makes the claim Apple is doing this on purpose. Meanwhile, this is a big NOTHING TO SEE HERE moment. It’s broke. Apple will fix it. End of story. No conspiracy theories needed to explain it. 
    Agreed. It's just a hiccup on Apple's side and it'll get resolved soon.

But tell me why my iOS 10 devices can no longer use the Apple Store app? I guess Apple doesn't want me to give them more money.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member
    kmarei said:
    If you choose to voluntarily break your device, that’s your problem, isn’t it?
    maxit
  • Reply 8 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    Time to upgrade to iOS 12. Better than iOS 11 anyways.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    iOS 10 FTW!
    And I can still run some apps I can't find 64 bit versions of.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    AppleZulu said:
    kmarei said:
    Even though this article specifically says the issue is with apple you still think it's my fault?
    that same jailbroken iOS 11 has been working great for just over a year

App Store is back up now
    My device is still jailbroken , but apple fixed the issue it was having

Your apology is accepted :)
    edited February 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 19
    MplsP said:
    I have an iPad Air 2 with stock iOS 12, and I honestly don't notice much difference between that and the jailbroken iPad mini 4 on iOS 11
    i just prefer the jailbroken device because I can change everything to my liking than what apple determines is best for me
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 19
    iOS 10 FTW!
    And I can still run some apps I can't find 64 bit versions of.
    My jailbroken iPhone on iOS 9 was working fine when App Store was down for iOS 11 :)
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 19
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    There is literally not a single reason to stay with iOS 11, if your device supports it.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    kmarei said:
    MplsP said:
    I have an iPad Air 2 with stock iOS 12, and I honestly don't notice much difference between that and the jailbroken iPad mini 4 on iOS 11
    i just prefer the jailbroken device because I can change everything to my liking than what apple determines is best for me
    Ios 11 was very buggy. 12.0 had fewer bugs than 11.4 did. 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Security certificates expire and mess things up rather routinely: complex world out there. 
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Well, i have often had problems with iTunes if I was not updated to the absolute newest version. Especially true with synching and getting devices recognized.  But sometimes the updates remove good features or even gum up the system due to loading issues. At least on Windows.  Not everyone is so anxious to download the latest and greatest, at least until they find out what got broken this time...
  • Reply 17 of 19
    rr41rr41 Posts: 10member
    jce10 said:
    lkrupp said:

But tell me why my iOS 10 devices can no longer use the Apple Store app? I guess Apple doesn't want me to give them more money.
    For the same reason devices on iOS 9 and older cannot.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    rr41 said:
    jce10 said:
    lkrupp said:

For the same reason devices on iOS 9 and older cannot.
    Someone already said in theses comments that they are running a jail broken device with IOS 9 and had no issue with the store while IOS 11 users did ? So please explain what you are talking about?  
  • Reply 19 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member

AppleZulu said:
    kmarei said:
    Another one. What does the device being jailbroken have to do with store connectivity ?  This wasn’t a jailbroke device problem, it was an IOS 11 problem which was clearly backed up by comments here.