Apple rumored to sell Apple TV 4K, HomePod at cost

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    This is interesting if true, the HomePod is still a flop costing 3 times as much as some of its competitors, with Siri lacking well behind on it. AirPods seem to be popular, but I still think Apple is looking into lower cost versions, but they are likely years away. The Apple TV is great hardware, but since smart TVs are everywhere, the device needs to be marketed as a ps4pro/xbox one s competitors at half the prices, which they need AAA games ported to iOS to match, with ideally USB C external drive support to download the massive files (and the lack of a port on the gen 5 tv doesn't help).
    Same old recycled troll garbage... Trolls can't even come up with any good material anymore to at least make themselves entertaining!
    Ok I was being nit picky. I still think the HomePod isn’t selling well, AirPods are selling well (and a new, possibly cheaper version 2 is coming).

My comment of the Apple TV is that it was ahead of its time 10 years ago, now that smart TVs and the TV sticks have come out, it’s a different market. I love my Gen 4 Apple TV, but I also realize that I’m using it for the same purposes as the TV sticks, with the much better OS and remote (IMO) the only reasons to buy an Apple TV. If and when they come out with a Gen 6, it will be interesting what they change with it, because if sells are good, then nvm for my comment, no need for change.
  • Reply 42 of 98
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Siri is also a worthless assistant, compared to either Alexa or Google assistant. 
    Whether those others are more feature capable, anyone who sticks a microphone connected to Amazon or Google near themselves has some seriously poor judgment or ignorance about what’s really happening. 
    racerhomie3pscooter63
  • Reply 43 of 98
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    eideard said:
    "Smart TVs are everywhere" - so are porta-potties. I've been a TV geek longer than a computer geek and started with the latter in 1981. So-called smart TVs are about as competent as the Tandy Model 100 I have stashed in the back of our study closet.
    People give their TV access to the Internet knowing what we know. Geez. 
  • Reply 44 of 98
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    k2kw said:
    Best Buy and other retail stores had the HomePod for $250 during Christmas.   I imagine they must cost Apple less than that to make.  Since they didn’t brag on it during the earnings call it’s probably their biggest flop since they 5C.   But we Will probably have an editorial from DED that it’s the greatest smart speaker.
    Revealing your ignorance again, I’m afraid. The 5C was not s flop — it was the second-best selling handset in US carrier stores. (You can guess what the first was)

https://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/04/apples-iphone-5s-tops-sales-charts-at-big-4-us-carriers-iphone-5c-close-behind

https://9to5mac.com/2014/10/01/iphone-5c-best-selling-phone/

...your troll trope talking points requiring updating. Please find the newest FUD packet under your chair. 

racerhomie3roundaboutnowmacxpressbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 45 of 98
    Sorry I doubt Gruber knows anything about Apple’s pricing. He’s just spitballing.
    You deny Gruber has sources within Apple? Nonsense. Schiller himself has been one of his sources.
  • Reply 46 of 98
    backstab said:
    "Why is HomePod so much more expensive than these other speakers you can talk to? Well, HomePod, I actually have reason to believe, Apple actually sells it at a loss," Gruber says.

Speaking non sequiturs. First sign of an idiot.
    You must be new, son. Gruber is one of the best, most astute, and accurate Apple pundits and observers. There’s a reason he is quoted by the rumor sites.
  • Reply 47 of 98
    ronn said:
    entropys said:
    That large space Trump has been renting and occupying in Gruber’s head...
    My cue to stop reading the reply and consider using the ignore list.
    Agreed, dude is mos def a PC guy troll who routinely fails to understand Apple product. Injecting Trump into non political threads is against forum rules. 
    macseeker
  • Reply 48 of 98
    bitmod said:
    MisterKit said:
    The technology in HomePod is indeed not appreciated by many. It’s in a class of its own at any price.
    No. No it's not. Not even close. Not even in the same ball park as other offerings. So far behind you think it's first. 
    Venture into a hifi shop and not your local dollar store - you will be amazed. 
    Bullshit. For $350, the mic array, beamforming, and 7 drivers in the HP toast the competition, even the more expensive shelf speakers. 
    edited February 2019 MisterKitmacxpresspscooter63
  • Reply 49 of 98
    Why is Apple Insider quoting Gruber?

I’m embarrassed for you... 
    I’m embarrassed for you, as you’re obviously ignoring about Gruber. He has had Schiller as a confidant, interviewed Craig multiple times, and has multiple sources with apple. What have you got? 
    edited February 2019 racerhomie3pscooter63
  • Reply 50 of 98

ksec said:
    Gruber has been consistently wrong about everything with regards to BOM cost. 
    Source that claim please.  i’ve read Gruber for years, and I’m not aware of him ever playing the BOM game. link to his stories that do. I’ll wait. 
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 51 of 98
    saarek said:
    I wish I could use my HomePods as a home entertainment sound system for my TV. 
    You can via Apple TV. AirPlay 2 is great!

With regards to "cost", that is a very tricky thing, especially in manufacturing. Ask any CPA. How much "cost" of iOS development should be allocated to HomePod? How much of Siri development (I know she isn't smart but she sure can listen well on the HomePod when it is playing music, kinda amazing)? How much of Apple's R&D should be costed to HomePod during it's development? There are so many decisions to make regarding cost accounting. From a strict manufacturing component and assembly cost, Apple is probably making money, but in the grand scheme of things probably losing since they haven't sold the numbers needed to breakeven when all costs are factored in. So, everyone is probably right in that sense. Hard costs vs. soft costs. And of course what Apple learned in developing the HomePod can be used for future products too.
  • Reply 52 of 98
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Another analogy is the Apple Watch:   Apple sold the first 3 generations of the (aluminum) watch at ridiculously low prices -- because they were trying get it into people's hands (or on their wrists) in order to open up the market.  They have largely done that, or enough of it, and the price of the Series 4 jumped.  Now, a fully configured Series 4 (aluminium) with AppleCare is priced at north of $600 -- which is in iPhone territory.
    It's not that the Series 4 cost too much, but that Series 0-3 cost too little.   But, they accomplished their marketing goal which was the more important.  Now, they can start taking their more normal margins on the product.
    Ah nah. That’s the Great Apple Price Hike of 2018.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3317850/apple/apple-price-increases.html

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/apple-price-hikes-2018-2018-12?r=US&IR=T
  • Reply 53 of 98
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    When produced in mass quantities a product sold initially at loss could end up being sold at a profit for the same price.
  • Reply 54 of 98
    focher said:
    Siri is also a worthless assistant, compared to either Alexa or Google assistant. 
    Whether those others are more feature capable, anyone who sticks a microphone connected to Amazon or Google near themselves has some seriously poor judgment or ignorance about what’s really happening. 
    You don't think Apple/Siri is constantly listening for "Hey Siri" and interpreting that data?  Apple knew about the FaceTime eavesdropping for a week and did nothing about it.  If it did not become a viral incident, it would continue.  Anyone can talk to your HomePod to listen to your email, messages, and even send and receive data as you because Siri cannot even tell the difference between people using it.  And you continue to think that it is a safe and private device.  Apple is one pulling the wool over your eyes with their so-called stance on privacy.  Keep backing up to iCloud too...because Apple will surrender all of that data to law enforcement with a subpoena.  
  • Reply 55 of 98
    This is complete and utter fantasy. Apple did not become the multi-billion dollar company they are today by selling products at or below cost. Employees get a small discount and if these items were sold at or below cost there would be no discount at all. When the HomePod was first released, Apple Employees got a 50% discount for I think 90 days or something like that. If they were selling the HomePod below cost, there’s NO WAY the 50% discount would have been offered. This guy is making this crap up on the fly. 
    asdasd
  • Reply 56 of 98
    macxpress said:
    k2kw said:
    Best Buy and other retail stores had the HomePod for $250 during Christmas.   I imagine they must cost Apple less than that to make.  Since they didn’t brag on it during the earnings call it’s probably their biggest flop since they 5C.   But we Will probably have an editorial from DED that it’s the greatest smart speaker.
    I see we're still talking out of our ass....
    Get an ass to talk out of....
  • Reply 57 of 98

k2kw said:
    Revealing your ignorance again, I’m afraid. The 5C was not s flop — it was the second-best selling handset in US carrier stores. (You can guess what the first was)

https://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/04/apples-iphone-5s-tops-sales-charts-at-big-4-us-carriers-iphone-5c-close-behind

https://9to5mac.com/2014/10/01/iphone-5c-best-selling-phone/

...your troll trope talking points requiring updating. Please find the newest FUD packet under your chair. 

The iPhone 5C was a flop.  Sorry you cannot comprehend that.  The iPhone 5S, a far better phone, sold 3x more units than the 5C.  No one wanted a cheap iPhone 5 with a plastic back panel when the 5S was a far better and more durable phone.  "Commentators viewed iPhone 5C as a flop because of supply chain cuts signifying a decline in demand in October 2013.  Apple CEO Tim Cook admitted that the company overstocked the iPhone 5C while having shortages of the iPhone 5S, as a result of failing to anticipate the sales ratio between both phones."  Tim Cook admitted that they screwed up with the 5C.  After one year, Apple lowered the production of the 5C and cut the storage to only 8GB, then shortly afterwards, killed it off completely.  If you think the 5C was so great, where is the 6C, 7C, 8C, XC?  Oh yeah, Apple admitted the 5C was a flop and killed the idea of a cheap re-branded phone.
  • Reply 58 of 98

bitmod said:
    MisterKit said:
    The technology in HomePod is indeed not appreciated by many. It’s in a class of its own at any price.
    No. No it's not. Not even close. Not even in the same ball park as other offerings. So far behind you think it's first. 
    Bullshit. For $350, the mic array, beamforming, and 7 drivers in the HP toast the competition, even the more expensive shelf speakers. 
    No, it doesn't.  It is an overpriced speaker in which you cannot even adjust the tone control.  Even at clearance prices of $250, they could not clear them off store shelves.  My $150 Polk Audio tower speakers sound 100x better than a HomePod, and I can play any source of music and adjust the bass, treble, and midrange through my receiver.  Oh, and I did not need to spend $700 for stereo sound either.  Don't forget how useless Siri is.  You cannot even use Bluetooth on the HomePod because Apple disabled it.  Keep blowing smoke to make yourself feel better for wasting money on a soon to be dead product.  Remember the iPod Hi-Fi?
  • Reply 59 of 98

bitmod said:
    MisterKit said:
    No, it doesn't.  It is an overpriced speaker in which you cannot even adjust the tone control.  Even at clearance prices of $250, they could not clear them off store shelves.  My $150 Polk Audio tower speakers sound 100x better than a HomePod, and I can play any source of music and adjust the bass, treble, and midrange through my receiver.  Oh, and I did not need to spend $700 for stereo sound either.  Don't forget how useless Siri is.  You cannot even use Bluetooth on the HomePod because Apple disabled it.  Keep blowing smoke to make yourself feel better for wasting money on a soon to be dead product.  Remember the iPod Hi-Fi?
    I'm guessing you have a pretty good receiver. Just out of curiosity, what model is it, and how much did you pay for it? Also, what model speakers?
    edited February 2019 pscooter63
  • Reply 60 of 98
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    jbdragon said:
    If Apple is not at least making a 30% profit, they’re not going to sell it.  Let’s not also forget the places that sell it are not selling this stuff and breaking even also.  I got my second Homepod at Target for $249.  They have been sold st that price point at other places a few times.  This is the price I thing they should be selling at.  You think Target is losing money?  Really, who comes up with this garbage.  Apple always makes a good profit.  To say Apple is selling this stuff at cost is laughable.  
    Ha you contradict yourself with your own numbers .   Selling at $250 is 42% off .   That leaves your profit at -12%.