Official (Not Really) Final MW Tokyo Predictions.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
iPod Update to 10 Gigs to sell at $349

iBook Update to 700 Mhz G3

Powermac Update 1 Ghz. 933 Mhz Dual. 1.2 Ghz Dual.

iPhoto 1.1

iCamera. $699

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>iPod Update to 10 Gigs to sell at $349

iBook Update to 700 Mhz G3

Powermac Update 1 Ghz. 933 Mhz Dual. 1.2 Ghz Dual.

iPhoto 1.1

iCamera. $699</strong><hr></blockquote>

10 GB iPod for $349 - this combination is definitely not feasible.

iBook update to 700 MHz G3 - I want to believe.

Power Mac speed-bump - not likely

iPhoto 1.1 - sure, why not?

iCamera - I don't think so.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    1.) iBook was just price cut/new model introd in January. 700 would also put it theoretically ahead of the 3000 dollar powerbook at half the price. next iBook update will also see a powerbook update. I think it'll wait till May though. Seems like a better time for an update.

2.) PowerMacs were just updated. 1Ghz was max. if faster chips were going to be available this soon I would think a 1.1 Ghz or 1.2Ghz would have been in the middle model instead of 933. nevermind the fact that they would just be updating a 2 month old product that is apparantly selling. can you say inventory nightmare?

My predictions:

iPod 5GB $299

iPod 10GB $399

Mac OS X 10.2 preview (probably not release)

Quicktime 6 release

recap of iMac for japanese market

possible price cuts on displays to 499, 799, 1999

the end
  • Reply 3 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Well, yes, the iBook update banks on a PowerBook update, and both are considerably long in tooth.

The 600 MHz iBook came out mid-October. I'd rather think Apple has gotten into a better update cycle like they said they would. Late March = 5.5 months since 600 MHz iBook was released. May = 6.5-7.5 months and very close to MWNY 2002.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Macintosh, there are not going to be any new Powermacs, an Apple executive already said so!

MWNY is the soonest we can expect new Powermacs. The iBook was just updated at MWSF, so no iBook updates until MWNY at the earliest as well. The only Mac that may get updated at MWT is the Titanium, but again, an Apple official already said there would be no new hardware.

Reasonably, we can expect:

1. New iPod with 10 GB HD. 20% chance.

2. Updated LCD Apple displays. Could the 15" display be discontinued in favor of an 18 or 19 inch model? So the lineup would be:

17"

18-19"

24"

Probability is very low considering that LCDs have been going up in price. 10% chance.

3. OS X, v10.2 announcement. Jobs exhibits it and reports that it will be released at MWNY. 80% chance.

4. iApplication upate(s). I'd say chances are good...if a new iPod is announced, then expect an iTunes update. Possibly an iMovie update, but I don't keep up with iMovie much since I don't use it. And very likely an iPhoto update based on initial feedback. 90% chance.

I think the most likely announcements at MWT are Steve Jobs standing up and reiterating everything from MWSF, rehashing the new Powermacs, and droning on about how cool iPhoto is.

In other words, don't get your hopes up, because MWT is going to be a bust.

And if new Powermacs are announced, I'll suck my own dick!
  • Reply 5 of 24
    tsukuritetsukurite Posts: 192member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Macintosh, there are not going to be any new Powermacs, an Apple executive already said so!

*snip!*

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay, I have to agree with JYD here, but ( and I know this has been argued elsewhere) what that exec said was no new CPU's. Now, I think the question is what Apple considers to be a CPU. Is it the chip? Is it the box? If it's the chip, then yeah, no new chip intros. Ah, but the G4 is already here, it's not new. Does a speed bump count as a new CPU?

If CPU means the box then I guess we'll have to wait on rack mount servers, etc. But what about existing boxes? PowerMac/book/ibook? Are updates considered new?

Just some of the things that make you say "hmmm."

• Reply 6 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by tsukurite:

<strong>

Okay, I have to agree with JYD here, but ( and I know this has been argued elsewhere) what that exec said was no new CPU's. Now, I think the question is what Apple considers to be a CPU. Is it the chip? Is it the box? If it's the chip, then yeah, no new chip intros. Ah, but the G4 is already here, it's not new. Does a speed bump count as a new CPU?

If CPU means the box then I guess we'll have to wait on rack mount servers, etc. But what about existing boxes? PowerMac/book/ibook? Are updates considered new?

Just some of the things that make you say "hmmm."

</strong><hr></blockquote>

don't want to get into this again but its quite clear he meant CPUs as in computers. when reading the sentence in context with the others you would see that. Right after it he says it would have been very illogical to think we would update the quadrants at this time. Maccentral also wrote very blatantly that there would be no new hardware at Tokyo. while not a direct quote I do believe this is what he told them and he not it likely would have been reworded.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    can someone please tell me where the moto roadmap is the only 1 i can find on there website says the g4 only goes up to 1ghz is this the right one here it is: <a href="http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=03M943030450467M983989030230"; target="_blank">Motorola Overview</a>

[edit by Amorph: fixed url]

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 24
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    well i'm trying too...

Blahblah about iMac Luxo Lamp

Blahblah about G4 Dual Ghz

Blahblah about iPhoto

Blahblah about The Digital Hub

Blahblah about Remote Access

Blahblah about Photoshop 7

Blahblah about Macromedia MX Family

Blahblah about some Games

Blahblah about Mac OS 10.2

and one more thing...

maybe iMovie 3 or a iPod 2 with new functions (bigger color screen to see photos ?) or iTools 2 / Pro...

The Big Thing will be for the Big Apple

PS: i want to believe in a iRack Server @ $699

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: jeromba ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 24
    well now, i dont see any problems with a 1.2 ghz powermac, remember, someone already overclocked it pretty easily and now they are now going to try to get it up to 1.33 ghz, so it wouldnt be very hard for apple just to through on a nice heat sinc and overclock it, remember, it would be a update, sicne g4s are old
  • Reply 10 of 24
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    What happened to all the 800mhz Ti predictions running that new low power apollo? those dried up pretty fast...
  • Reply 11 of 24
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    -New PowerBooks (Tokyo is historically the place for portable upgrades)

-New iBooks (I don't consider a 14" screen a complete update)

-Mac OS 10.2 - Signifies the completion of Apple's 12 hour clock transition that Jobs showed and MWNY. I'm betting it will be a free update at the Apple Stores and $20 via mail in upgrade. It will probably not be available at Tokyo, but a release date will be announced with a demo showing how much faster it is than 10.1.

-Digital Hub - Showing how iPhoto and the new iMac are being used. Basically, it'll be more of the same.

-No new iPod

Those are my predictions.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    no quadrants updated....pretty clear coming from an apple exec. i'll take his word over anyone else's. there's barely any rumors of hardware on any sites. everything you hear on this board is pure speculation! it's what we hope apple can do! there's no hard facts! they said it wasn't logical to update the quadrants! you guys won't even listen to apple even when they are telling you that they aren't going to update!

would you guys stop this? everyone expects the impossible from apple on an impossible time table.

no hardware
  • Reply 13 of 24
    What Max said.

Do I think Apple could offer faster Powermacs? Yes. Do I think they will? Not until MWNY. Why? Because Jobs doesn't understand the seriousness of the GHz gap.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>What Max said.

Do I think Apple could offer faster Powermacs? Yes. Do I think they will? Not until MWNY. Why? Because Jobs doesn't understand the seriousness of the GHz gap.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think he does I think they just don't think that releasing small increments every 3 months instead of a bit larger ones every 6 months is the way to go.

I honestly don't know which way I would choose.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    hey guys... i will be going to the keynote at Big Site on Thursday.... i will take some shots and post when I get back.

Anouncements or not, i love going to the keynote!!

Cheers

Adam
  • Reply 16 of 24
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    [quote]Originally posted by Adam11:

<strong>hey guys... i will be going to the keynote at Big Site on Thursday.... i will take some shots and post when I get back.

Anouncements or not, i love going to the keynote!!

Cheers

Adam</strong><hr></blockquote>

Amen to that. The keynotes are always fun if sometimes disappointing. It is a national holiday so we will take our two boys. We already bought our tickets.

It seems that there really will be no hardware updates this time. Usually there are rumors about the supply channels running out of product just before updates come out. Not so this time.

The recent G4 update was curious. As others have posted, overclocking them to 1.2GHz was not difficult and the step up from 867MHz to 1GHz is rather small. Why did Apple choose to do this rather than shoot for something in the range of 1.1GHz to 1.4GHz?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    bokehbokeh Posts: 1member
    Just returned from Akihabara...

Price drop on the powerbooks have recently/just begun, (I was there a week earlier) some shops have an ending date of 3/31, in others it was not clearly stated.

11000 yen on the 667

8600 yen on the 550

The powermac line has been price reduced as well, all 3 versions. Approximately equal, percent wise, to the powerbooks. Screen saver promotion still in effect concurrent with this drop.

iBooks have been given indirect reductions too, e.g., 5000 yen off with the purchase of an apple pro mouse, etc. Some versions of the 12" were out of stock already (in some shops).

The iMac, nothing.

Perhaps just Macworld hype, but interesting all the same.

My prediction then, across the board price drops, except the iMac.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I'd be happy if Apple increased the resolution of the Powerbook's screen and put in a better video board. These two improvements would probably make me finally retire my 8600/200.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Come on, people! We can't let the comments of an Apple executive break the tradition of AI hype and insanity before every expo. If we do that, Steve has truly won. Somebody better start pumping out the B.S. soon, and preferably in pigeon English.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Well, We might see 933Mhz Tibooks using the GeForce 4 to go card, also with a 1600x1200 screen, superdrive optional, 1Gb RAM, 133Mhz bus standard.